Forum home Your DIY ideas

Has anyone cut their own wood slices?

You may have seen from my planning thread that we've cut a bazillion oak slices to use as centrepieces, cake stand, general decoration.

Wondering if anyone has experience with this, and how we need to go about drying them/ treating them etc before the wedding. 

I know you have to keep them in water initially to stop them dying out too quickly and cracking, but how long before they are to be used should we take them out and do stuff to them? And what is the stuff we need to do to them? x

• Mrs_BadgerMrs_Badger Posts: 1,441 New bride

I'm lucky, a friend of mind has loads at the side of her house... So going to have a look and pick some up.

I did however go and big up big branches the other day to make smaller ones for tables.

• wed172Bwed172B Posts: 1,258

I will ask h2b for you later, he's been doing ours so should be able to offer some advice :)

• Jenni8Jenni8 Posts: 3,201

I did. We didn't put them n water though. They were just kept in our garage for about 9 months until now when we have got them out and just going to sand them down and considering putting a bit of varnish on one side. Sorry that isn't much help I guess there s a better way of doing it to make them a bit longer lasting but we just did the basic stuff to keep them nice for the day.

• Katherine66Katherine66 Posts: 1,234

They really need around 6 months to dry out but if they dry too quickly they can split. Hopefully you have t got any knots thats a weak part.  We cut our own for table numbers with a chain saw From the farm we live on with permission from farmer.

Im not sanding or staining mine I may paint stuff on them