Affordable / High Street Wedding Cakes

Can anyone recommend a cheap way to go about a basic wedding cake? 

We had been looking at the M&S build it yourself naked cake but this no longer seems to be on their website, and our plan B of a Choccy Woccy Doo Dah small cutting cake has also been removed from the pool of choice. 

I have heard mostly bad things about the M&S build it yourself deep filled and traditional cakes, but the price point is ideal. 

I have asked around local bakers but they're (understandably) at a higher price point than i can justify. 

We just want a small cake to cut really, maybe a max of 2 tiers that feeds about 30-40 people. At this stage i don't know that i care if its frosted, iced, naked, whatever! Cake really isn't a big deal to us so we don't want to spend a lot but just want something as a sweet treat and to cut to keep the elders happy. 

I've looked on M&S and Waitrose but they are either badly reviewed or over the price point we are happy with. 

If you know of any stores/retailers ect that might have nice cakes please let me know :D 

• Cake was hard for us too as even though I love cake I struggled justifying the cost!

Do you mind me asking what your budget is and if you have any particular flavours in mind as this all influences the cost. Also what area are you in? Then will try and recommend some for you :)
  • Cake was hard for us too as even though I love cake I struggled justifying the cost!

Do you mind me asking what your budget is and if you have any particular flavours in mind as this all influences the cost. Also what area are you in? Then will try and recommend some for you :)
    Thanks for your reply! Were in Hertfordshire/Bedfordshire (right on the border) and were not looking to spend more than £50 really for a single tier cake. Not fussed by flavours at all, plain victoria sponge is fine by us as long as its tasty! 
  • MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,598 New bride
    edited 19 June
    M&S never did a build your own naked cake, just the 3 tier:
    https://www.marksandspencer.com/naked-cake-vanilla-3-tier/p/p60167998

Or the 1 tier which works out much cheaper, even if you buy 2, cut 1 officially and just have the other one cut up:
    https://www.marksandspencer.com/vanilla-naked-cake/p/p60164902?prevPage=srp

We have bought the 2 smallest tiers of the M&S deep fill cake and 2 cutting bars (half vanilla sponge, half red velvet) so I can let you know what they are like. I don't set much store by reviews on the M&S website, even things I love from there have terrible reviews as people are more likely to make an effort to complain than be positive. They do 2 smaller red velvet cakes which we have tried and are really nice. I didn't much like the vanilla sponge sample but I don't like that type of cake from anywhere  -OH and my mum thought it was fine.

Tesco do plain iced cakes too.
  • MrsCToBee said:
    M&S never did a build your own naked cake, just the 3 tier:
    https://www.marksandspencer.com/naked-cake-vanilla-3-tier/p/p60167998

Or the 1 tier which works out much cheaper, even if you buy 2, cut 1 officially and just have the other one cut up:
    https://www.marksandspencer.com/vanilla-naked-cake/p/p60164902?prevPage=srp

We have bought the 2 smallest tiers of the M&S deep fill cake and 2 cutting bars (half vanilla sponge, half red velvet) so I can let you know what they are like. I don't set much store by reviews on the M&S website, even things I love from there have terrible reviews as people are more likely to make an effort to complain than be positive. They do 2 smaller red velvet cakes which we have tried and are really nice. I didn't much like the vanilla sponge sample but I don't like that type of cake from anywhere  -OH and my mum thought it was fine.

Tesco do plain iced cakes too.
    Amazing thank you so much for your feedback! I've never had any cakes from M&S so didn't really know if  people were maybe just expecting a lot, but you're completely right about people always being more likely to give a negative review than a positive one! 

I was looking at the top 2 tiers of the deep fill one too, it just seemed to be the right size and a really lovely price.

I imagine very few people will even end up eating them in the end so i don't know why i'm over thinking it so much. 
  • Cecilia13Cecilia13 Posts: 475 New bride
    edited 19 June
    What about asking a family member or friend, is there anybody who you know who bakes well? If Ralph hadn't been set on his godmother making ours I'd have made it myself! If you don't want a big one it's definitely a good option if you know someone who makes a good cake! I'm trying to learn with the goal of making some money from it at some point and I know quite a few people who are doing that too, who wouldn't charge much at all! It won't necessarily be absolutely perfect. But probably tasty! So it depends how you feel I guess but you could ask around? And potentially offer to cover the cost of ingredients or something if they would do it for free.
    I always said I wasn't bothered about cake then spent literally hours and hours of my life on it!
  • annipooannipoo Posts: 21 New bride
    I've heard good things about the M&S cakes from friends who went to a wedding where one was served. 

You could try looking on Groupon/Wowcher for deals. There's one that regularly comes up near me (Glasgow). 
  • @Cecilia13 that was our initial plan but our venue have stated they don't allow home made cakes at all, which is really frustrating. I do understand it can be awkward for them with allergies and such, but i did hope if we gave a full list of ingredients and storage instructions they would allow it but they're holding firm on it. 

I know we probably could do it anyway and lie, but i always worry that these things have a way of coming back to bite you lol. 

We basically want to do a small dessert table so will have macarons, brownies, cupcakes, and this cutting cake, so it reallllly doesn't even matter about everyone liking it, but i still cant get over myself haha. 
    Oh that's such a shame! I can understand why in a way but that's very frustrating! Thank goodness I didn't go for a proper venue 😂. What about something like Patisserie Valerie? They do some nice cakes, you could get a couple and officially cut one and put the rest in with dessert table?
  • Cecilia13 said:
    Oh that's such a shame! I can understand why in a way but that's very frustrating! Thank goodness I didn't go for a proper venue 😂. What about something like Patisserie Valerie? They do some nice cakes, you could get a couple and officially cut one and put the rest in with dessert table?
    Ooh that's a good idea! Their stuff is lovely i'll take a look! I just have to hope they don't have any more near misses with administrators  :D
  • MrsPope2018MrsPope2018 Posts: 888 New bride
    We had an m&s cake and it was delicious! We had a 3 tier fruit, sponge and chocolate. We also ordered some cutting bars to make up the extra we needed. We ordered their taster cakes before to try so maybe you could do that?  I dont normally like fruit cake but theirs is amazing! We just had our florist add flowers to it. I haven't got a great pic but hopefully this gives you a bit of an idea how it can look once you add your own flowers etc. 

• OmRumOmRum Posts: 691 New bride
    Paul's do similar cakes to Patty Val, but I don't think they do tiered cakes. Even so, they always look beautiful and different, and come in under £100 in most cases.

I recommend Le Verger Normand in particular!

https://www.paul-uk.com/our-food/cakes
  • @MrsPope2018 thank you for the recommendation! It looks really beautiful! I think i will have to cave and get some taster cakes...its a good excuse to sod the diet for a bit! 

@OmRum oh my god they're stunning cakes! I've never heard of them before but they're right up my street thank you!
    Didn't think of Paul, great idea!
  • wedscotwedscot Posts: 43 New bride
    We had a medium single tier M&S fruit cake for our small wedding and it tasted lovely, was delivered to our chosen store/date and looked lovely with ivory icing and it has a little decorative design on it. We just added our own decorations (toy animals) with an icing pen the night before.
    Our planning thread here
    Forgot to say, we ordered an M&S victoria sponge cake for my in law's ruby anniversary a few months back and everyone loved it.
  • Amazing thank you everyone! It looks like i've got a lot more options than i thought  :)
  • Samantha265Samantha265 Posts: 323 New bride
    We got 'celebration cakes' for £30, didnt mention that they were for a wedding so they didn't jack up the price!