A dragon and fairy tale

Hi eveyone. I've decided to write a thread in the hope that it makes me feel more organised image

My fiancee and I met just over 3 years ago. He came to ours to take part in a discussion group under the lure of free food. He came back again for my birthday party, arriving from work at 2am to find me slightly worse for wear. Luckily, it didn't put him off and in October 2011, he proposed. He had been planning a Midsummer proposal (in fitting with my favourite Shakespeare play) buthe couldn't keep it a secret from me - which is rather lovely - and it just came out one night! I didn't have a ring for a while as I didn't know what I wanted. I did know that it had to be fairtrade and unconventional...like me!

Eventually, we got it designed by a local ring designer. It is tanzanites and white gold.

Intially, we discussed running off to marry in secret. I hate speaking in public or being 'gazed' at so the thought of a dramatic church entrance did not and still does not appeal! But my family were gutted so we thought again. Then one of my fiancee's friends volunteered his father's farm for our reception. h2B is an environmentalist, I am vegan and we both love nature, so this was perfect! We booked a yurt to put on site which my parents very kindly offered to pay for.

Next, we started to look for somewhere to get married. Although it won't be legally binding, we have decided on this location. We had to get the owners permission, followed by the farmer who owned the access. We were only going to have 10 people at the ceremony, but this has increased slightly.

My friend, who I have known since I was 14 is ordained and has agreed to marry us (we will have a legal registry wedding a few weeks before but are classing the outside wedding as our actual wedding).

To be contined...

• Already sounds extremely interesting and different to what is classed as "traditional". Can't wait to read more. Also, your ring is a beautiful blue colour x
  • all sounds fab- i had an unconventional wedding too.

• mandy503mandy503 Posts: 2,066
    Wow sounds awesome!! image

Love your ring - but I'm a bit biased as mines tanzanite too! Love the uniqueness of the stone and the fact that some of the profits goes back to the kilamanjaro communities!!

Looking forward to seeing your day come together image xx
  • The bridesmaids...

So I asked my big sister and my best friend to be bridesmaids. I don't have loads of really close friends in my life but I am very close to the close ones if that makes sense. So initially I thought of having no bridesmaids as i didn't want to upset anyone. I was going to have a 'no married bridemaids' rule but then my sisters marriage collapsed and I realised it would be weird not to include her.I asked my friend, who was my housemate at the time, by hiding a huge bar of chocolate in her bed with a note that I knew she would find when she got in from a late shift at work!

As we are on a tight budget, I asked them if they could get their dresses but they got to pretty much decide if they liked it or not. We found Ted Baker dresses which are not at all bridesmaidy (I can't stand satin - sorry, I know it is tradition but it isn't at all me!). The problem is, I am still trying to find a size 14 for one of my bridesmaids due to the seller selling their final 14 instead of waiting for my confirmation email on size  image It is an international sell out so I'm hoping one crops up on ebay or they will be in slightly different dresses. Will post a picture later. My sister is making angel hair wool throws for them in the evenings and the will wear flat sandals of their choice. Their hair is going to be up and possibly with some small flowers like daisies in it.

We are asking the guests to wear anything that they want and feel comfortable in. It is an outside wedding with a yurt so if it rains it will be a potential nightmare but fingers crossed. so wellies and a raincoat might be needed by all...

For my jewellery, I am wearing an antique family heirloom necklace. Again, will put a picture up later. This will be my borrowed and old! I might wear studs in my ears, I haven't decided yet but my hair will be down so it doesn't matter really! I have an Agent Provocateur garter, am going underwear shopping and stock piling because I am moving to Nepal after the wedding and apparently it is hard to get hold of none dodgy underwear out there (any excuse for new lovely underwear, right?!)

My dress is couture which I didn't know at the time. I went to the White Closet in Didsbury to a sample sale, saw it and knew it was my dress. It is a bit big so will be taken in. I love the buttons down the back of it and the simplicity of it. I originally fell in love with a 70s vintage Wedding dress company decades dress but it was way too pricey. My actualy dress was meant to be £3,800 but I got it fcor £1,500 and my mum then said she wanted to buy it for me! Bless her.

Pics and more to come...

• fairybride1fairybride1 Posts: 349

Not posted on here in ages but decided to continue image Since my last post, we have found out that I have a job in Nepal...we fly out the day after the wedding. People keep asking if we are mad...ummm!

Anyway, back to the wedding.

The transport. We didn't want to spend fortune on transport, especially on an energy guzzling car which contradicts what we are about. Then one of my H2Bs friends volunteered his VW campervan image Perfect and very us!

It will be decorated - something like this maybe

Anyway, the van isn't orange anymore because he got a new one - which is white. Very fitting and feeling very lucky because VW hire for weddings costs the earth!

The van is going to drive onto the field so it can get as close as possible to the stone circle. Then, so H2B doesn't see me scrambling about in a dress getting out of the van, we are going to have an aisle of doors. My two bridesmaids are going to walk first, Amercian style, followed by me. Two ushers will hold two doors together to hide me, then open them. The only way this won't work is if it rains! But then I have two huge ivory golf umbrellas to hide under and possibly another one to hide me from the front.

But the ushers will have to hold them (they can rest them down after I walk through!)

H2Bs mum and dad are doing some 'guerilla seed scattering' on the field so hopefully there will be lots of lovely flowers in the field too. The man who owns the circle was going to cut it but he can't now because he is ill. We honestly don't mind because it will look more wild but I hope the owners is ok, he has been so lovely about us getting married on his land.

The Bridesmaids...

This turned into a right nightmare. THey are now wearing two different dresses and I am worried about it looking odd but to be honest I think our whole wedding will be odd to lots of people so never mind. One bridesmaid (my sister) is wearing this one:

The other bridesmaid is wearing this:

Both have removable straps so I am hoping that they won't look too weird! I wanted them in dusky pink but one of them held strong feelings against this and as they are paying, we met in the middle.

I bought them these sandals - flats as heels and a field wouldn't mix too well...

I also got them earings, and this necklace, I loved how it filled with the Nepal idea!

My sister is still making a strug in ivory as well. I just hope it all looks nice together!

They both want their hair up loosely and like this picture

I am paying for their hair and they wanted to do their own make up. They are both having a wrist corsage so that if it rains, they can hold up my dress!

I have given my florist a lot of autonomy in design so hopefully they will look nice!

Venue...more. Writing it all down here makes me feel more organised! We hired a yurt from the Cheltenham Yurt Hire company. They seem really friendly and we get the yurt for a week which is brilliant as it means I get to start decorating from the Wednesday before the wedding (wedding is 27/7/13!) Here are some images of the yurt we have hired. It seats up to 80 but in the day we are hoping for 70 people, leaving some space in case it rains (fingers crossed it doesn't...gulp).

The yurt is so beautiful. I have always loved yurts and natural wood and we thought it would fit perfectly with the farm setting. The field has stunning views over Wales so it is the perfect location. I got some ivy made of silk to intertwine in the trellace work but otherwise the decor is so stunning it doesn't need a lot:

Tables and decorations:

We are having long tables but with runners on them which my MIL to be has made.

We have literally had to do everything from scratch  including buyinf crockery and cutlery. If I had known we would be moving abroad, I would have hired it all but never mind! am planning on selling it all after the wedding. We are having vintage crockery. I have always loved the flowery twee look as it reminds me of my lovely nan who sadly passedaway when I was a teenager. Each table will have silver plated crockery which we collected, napkins (vintage ones) and a cintage side plate and plate.

We have also bought a load of glasses at auction for the tables.

• undercoveangeundercoveange Posts: 438

Wow a yurt is so cool!!! xxx

Place names: I bought some butterfly place names to go with the outdoors feel:

My dad does calligraphy so is going to calligraph names onto them. I also bought some charms off a bride on here for the brial party  they are really lovely!

These are in pale pink too.

Each table is going to have a tree slice as a center piece to complement the wood inside the yurt. My fiance is someone I associate with the outdoors so I love the connection. They will also allow guests to chat to each other without bending around a massive flower display! Something like this:

In  the middle of each tree slice will be a jam jar. My sister has painted them to look like this:

I am the none crafty one in my family! image

• CetaceaCetacea Posts: 654

Love pretty much everything about this! Especially the outside ceremony!

I am going to have ivory rose petals scattered onto each table as well.

On the back of the center chair on each table ~(6 chairs per table, 3 on each side) will be a small wicker heart, like these ones:

Each place setting will have a pack like this but instead of this stamp, it says 'once upon a time' which fits with the invites  more on that in a bit!

My mum has been hard at work on these!

Favours:

Like everything else, the favours are a tad eclectic. I bought some glassline bags, washbi tape, insence cones and scented tea lights. My MOH has made these candles from the tape and tealights:

They are going inside the bags which will be decorated in tape too, with a selection of insence cones.

The reason for this idea is because insence is widely burned in Nepal and fire is symbolic in Hindu culture (more on this later) so we wanted something which connects to where we are moving too.

I also got everyone a glo-stick! This is more because my HTB was a 90s raver so it is really a throwback to his youth.

Postcards: I teach English and love books. Every person will get one of these, which we have personally selected according to their personality:

Each one will have a sticker on the back with my new schools address so guest can keep it eg for a bookmark or post it to us.

Cetacea - thankyou, that is lovely. A few eyebrows have been raised as the whole thing is a bit mental but very us! image

Other decorations:

We are having an arabic food buffet. I am vegan so that made catering a bit difficult as we are having a vegan wedding. FIL to be wanted a hog roast. Er, no thanks! I can see why he tohught it would go but it wouldn't ve very vegan! It is a local restaurant providing the food and it is mega yummy!

Each dish on the buffet will be written in arabic script which I think is so beautiful (h2bs idea) and also in English:

When people arrive they will be greeted with organic elderflower cordial and Indian sweets (especially ladoos. Ladoos are the downfall of my wedding body!)

Th

The juice will be served in the millions of tea cups I have collected! I love the above pic. Definately going to try and find some fresh elderflower for decorative purposes!

We are only having about 35 people at the ceremony so the day guests who arrive to the farm will be greeted with reggae music, the drinks and the sweets until we arrive. They will be asked to partake in a range of tasks.

The cake:

so I wanted a vegan cake and it took ages to source one! I am going to Birmingham with my sister to collect this on the Thursday before the wedding:

It is fully vegan but will have space in between each layer because there isn't enough fat in a vegan cake to stop it collapsing in on itself. Our guests are going to decorate the cake for us! using edible icing pens, glitter dust and edible treats! This is a bit mad but I really wanted a graffiti cake which was waaaay too m

I love the idea of guests putting messages onto it. one layer is lemon one red velvet - vanilla and one is chocolate. This will be cut and served as desert.

uch money.

WE are also thinking of setting up an art stall (lots of artist friends!) and getting people to draw caricatures of us. The best one will win some fizz!

Then we also have a wishing tree - again the wood and tree idea! Plus, we can collect the messages and plan to read them on the plane to Nepal image The tags look like this:

Our wishing tree:

My dad is making signs for both which will say something along these lines:

-1. please write us a message to take with us on our journey and attach it to our tree! (wishing tree)

-2.  please decorate our cake with the edible pens and sparkly things! (cake table)

I also am getting vegan cupcakes made with these wrappers on them so the ev

ening guests have something  sweet to each if they want it!

Sweetie table:

This is hard to do when you are vegan! But I was determined - I am a sweetie fiend. So with my MOH, I went and tracked down a load of vegan sweets. I am using vintage cut glass to put sweets in and we have striped bags and silver plated tongues to finish the look. I am going to hang bunting on the bottom of the sweetie table!

I have more of the big jars as well which I will decorate in lace and with the names of sweeties on luggage tags. I love that all guests can eat all of the sweets because nothing has gelatine in it image

• CetaceaCetacea Posts: 654

Mental is awesome. I would have loved to have ethnic food, espeically arabic! My parents have lived in a couple of arabic countries and still love travelling in that part of the world and have passed that on to me!

Sadly we were a bit limited by the venue. As much as I'm enjoying my planning I'm having a few minor regrets at not having gone more mental but our families (which are paying) are excited about the big white wedding, we were quite happy to elope to Africa! That being said, I'm very excited about having a big family party now, it's not something we usually do!

Point being, the few very mild geeky touches that I want have already raised some eyebrows so I know what you mean!

Yes, it is lovely food and everyone tends to like it plus it fits all fussy requirements (including mine!) I had a peek at your thread and I think it looks lovely! your venue is amazing - there is something similar in the middle of a garden in Madrid and when we were there I remember thinking it would be incredible marrying there!

Photography: I knew straight away that I wanted a photographer I would feel comfortable with and not loads of formal pictures. I have known Cat from CT images forever, so she was the perfect choice!

Here is their site: http://www.ctimages.co.uk/

Actually, it was the second thing we booked after the yurt. We had an engagement shoot and it was brilliant, we are so happy with the pictures. Because we are going abroad we didn't want a heavy photography album so we are getting the images. Here is a pic from the engagement shoot. Their style is natural, quirky and romantic! Perfect and I completely trust their judgement.

Stationary: our friend designed our stationary. Well, we didn't do save the dates. We told people when it would be our wedding. We didn't want to waste paper! Our friend is an artist and he designed our invites. They have two images on them to represent myself and my HTB ~( a dragon - Welshie! And a fairy - all of my students are convinced I'm a real fairy!)The pics aren't working at the moment.

WE have had calligraphy added with details and then added a page with information for our guests. We are having 3 waves of guests: ceremony and full day, reception and then evening guests. This is mostly because I didn't want that many people at the ceremony: we wanted it to feel intimate.

The same design will be used to make covers for wine bottles, champagne bottles and signs used around the venue for the wishing tree, cake table etc.

More decorations:

Because we are having a complete DIY wedding, I was concerned that the food tables would look a little sparse. To create a backdrop for the buffet (middle eastern food) we are having pom poms hanging from the ceiling

The table will have this hanging underneath it.

As well as having the food names on place cards in front of the dishes, we will also have a menu written onto a chalk board, something like this:

There are also the jars previously posted, which my sister made; they will be scattered around the venue so we might add some to the buffet table.

• MrsA6MrsA6 Posts: 962 New bride

Loving your plans so far...nice to see something a bit different on here, the outdoor ceremony and yurt are fab image

Do you mind me asking where you got your 'just married' sign from? I'm looking for something similar x

Hey Mrs A - thanks for that. It is reassuring to know that not everyone is turning up their nose at our plans! I got the sign from another bride on here. When are you getting married - you can buy this one if you like. I'll be selling everything on here because it can't come with us to Nepal!

We will have loads of tea cups set out alongside it:

I bought these this week for the welcome drinks:

The bar: our guests are bringing their own alcohol but we are providing a bottle of red and a bottle of white wine per table and covering the labels with our invite designs. We are doing the same with champagne - one bottle per table. There are 6 people per table so this seems enough plus there will be glass jugs of water on the tables:

something like this but in a jug with edible flowers.Logistics were a nightmare for a bar. Luckily, MIL's friend is lending us a walk in fridge of some description! The idea is to place this next to tables under a gazebo. The gazebo backdrop will be white and covered in fairy lights like this:

Then we are going to put this sign up as a joke because people assume vegans live off salad...

Finally, just outside the fridge where guests will stick their BYOB there will be one of these - apt because of the farm and also because my H2B is an avid gardener!

I am also making vegan vodka jelly shots which were originally going to be our toast but my parents (who are extremely open to my mad ideas) were a bit mortified. When my dad gets panicked, I know I may have gone too far! So vodka jelly shots will be on the bar instead! image My MOH had these at her friends party; you cut out the fruit center, fill with jelly and freeze. Yum!

I was thinking of making candy vodka too but I am worried it might end up costing too much. These look so cute! But I don't want to spend hundreds on the vodka image

On our top table, we are going to have ice cubes in a champagne bucket like these:

I love pink! image

Ok, starting to sound like I have an alcohol issue here (actually, H2B and I rarely drink but hey!) MOH is Scottish and is getting us an Orkadian cog. They are made from 2 types of wood joined together to symbol unity. The day before the wedding, my sister, MOH and MIL to be (my mum will be with dad doing crazy hippy parent things!) will boil up an alcoholic mixture to put in the cog. Then we take it around to every guest instead of a recieving line. We will do this once the evening guests arrive to open the evening party up.

Flowers:

So as previously posted, the bridesmaids are having wrist corsages in case it rains and they need to carry my dress. I am having something wild but with roses. I am letting the florist run wild because she knows what she is doing much better than me! Each table is having a jar made by my sister with flowers in them:

but not in the bright pink, more dusky. I wanted peonies but budget and the time of year decided we weren't having them! H2B wanted seasonal flowers being an environmentalist and I support this. I dreamed of a flower arch to surround the yurt entrance but again, not happening!

I was quoted between £150-to £300 for this so, er, no! I don't know what I'll do with the yurt entrance yet, maybe a shrine to Parvati, the Hindu goddess of marriage although not sure the parents would like this!

Or, if the weather is going to be good, the wishing tree could go here.

More flowers...

My headdress! Sorry for crap quality...

We have 2 enamel jugs to be filled with wild flowers to be placed around the venue plus all of these containers:

containers to be filled with flowers