A Zoosk match made in cyber heaven - Our Ivory, Grey and Lemon Castle fairytale

With less than 2 months to our wedding I wanted to start this much earlier but with uni assignments, exams and house hunting, wedding plans, honeymoon and hen party plans and have not had not time to write, although I have been distracted alot with other peoples threads and following them for sneaky peaks and ideas. So I guess its now only fair to get my ideas out there and also get some of my own thoughts out of my already very cramped brain.

I have still got one more uni assignment which I need to work one so once this is handed in in April then ill be able to fill you all in with our story and more details behind my ideas. But until then I will stick to uploading photos and short comments (lets be honest this is what we scroll on these forums for),,,

Here's hoping I dont end up talking to myself and I can help or influence atleast on fellow bride to be out there,,

Claire xx

• clairemaxiclairemaxi Posts: 167

The date: 17th May 2013              The Venue: Lumley Castle, County Durham

http://www.lumleycastle.com/

We chose this location as it was where we spent our 1st valentines night together and it quite local for our guests,, and ofcourse we think its stunning image x

The Groom

My h2b is Lewis and is the kindest, loveliest person I have ever met. As the title of this thread suggests we met using an online dating site called 'Zoosk', it was one of those apps through facebook. He was in London at the time and I lived in Sunderland where I was born and raised. After speaking a little online and becoming 'friends' through facebook, we arranged a 'blind-date' as he was soon to be back in Newcastle to visit his mam. And the rest as they say is history,,, although not quite but those blanks can be filled in when I have more time. It'll be almost 3 years ago that wet met when we do get married and we are both currently living in Gateshead together. Here is a picture of the two of us...

The proposal & ring

I got home from work as usual on our 1 year & 11 month anniversary to be greeted by an envelope in the hall & a single stem red rose. Believing h2b had been to work as usual & perhaps just picked this up on his lunch hour I was touched but thought he had he had got the dates mixed up and was a month early (turns out not the case). 

The envelope said happy anniversary etc & I preceded to open the living room door to give my thanks to h2b but noticed the handle on the inside of the door had a pink ribbon tied on the inside. The ribbon continued to the middle of the fire place on to the kitchen door handle and then to the spare bedroom door handle. At intersections along the ribbon were little florist cards safety-pinned on with handwritten notes about our time together etc. I also noticed there was a further red rose on the coffee table. H2b was hiding in the kitchen and i greeted him with a kiss and said what a lovely surprise for our anniversary (not thinking anything else of it & still thinking he was a month ahead of himself)...

He pointed out that I had not followed the ribbon the full way into the spare bedroom... so i opened that door to see another red rose on the dressing room and another card which said 'i will never forget asking you to Marry Me?'

I turned around to see him in the doorway and he produced from behind his back a small wooden box which had the most perfect .50 carat platinum diamond ring inside...

and as you know I said YES! image

p.s the date he asked (1yr & 11 month) was on purpose as to throw me off as he thought I might expect it a month later... and he had also took the afternoon off work to set the whole thing up... clever boy x

• Lovely story so far! Your ring is gorgeous!! Excited to read more I love the colour scheme already!! There's some really good images on Pinterest of grey and lemon weddings (be warned its very addictive!!) look forward to reading more! Nod more photos!image xx

Shoes

The 1st thing i bought towards our wedding after confirming our ceremony were the shoes... Im abit addicted as most girls are;

They are Kurt Geiger / Carvela & I ordered them without trying on. Very high and abit 'pinchy' but I loved them and thought I will just take them off whilst sitting down or perhaps get some flats for the evening...

However once I decided on my dress (much later) these did not match as they are quite modern and very white.. as I will get to my dress later you will see they dont go as my dress is ivory and quite lacy.

I still havent found my shoes yet... Cant decide on ivory or getting my 'something blue shoes'. I think I will wait until my dress comes into the shop (early April) so I know how high my heel should be... im sure ill find the perfect pair image

Thanks MondayBride, thanku for ur response,, image I have been following quite afew threads and selfishly not replying to many but I will get round to it. Pinterest was probably the source of my colour scheme which I was just about to get onto. I orginally decided on a lemon and steel blue but this seemed to be abit scarce to match the steel blue that i loved so I comprised on a slate grey, pale yellow/lemon and ivory. 

Most of the pinterest colours have quite a bright yellow but I have gone for a more paler yellow. Here are some of the original images I pasted into my wedding folder that influenced my final colour theme.

You get the ideaimage This was the original steel blue that i wanted;

The invitations

Whilst im quite awake tonight (vodka & redbull probably to blame) im gonna continue and try and catch up with my planning details.. image

I knew all along that I wanted to do my own invitations, I have done them before for a wedding and an engagement party and used to make my own gift cards and xmas cards (although just for family not to sell). It took a while to decide on my design but when I came across this postcard design I knew I wanted to used this as inspiration;

Although I wouldnt be carving it into woodimage I kept mine simple as I would be printing them myself and ordered the postcards and envelopes from ebay, I also wanted to introduce my colour scheme so picked an ivory card and used grey text and a pale yellow 'stamp'.

If I remember correctly the next thing I sorted was the wedding car. I knew I didnt want a very old style 'Brum' car (as I call them), the ones with the wheels on the side, and I didnt want a very modern one either, somewhere in the middle. So I opted for a Rolls Royce Shadow Mark II. It will make two trips on the morning of the wedding where I will be staying at my parents. Its will take my mam and sisters (2 x bridesmaid & 1 flower girl my niece) then it will return for me and my dad.

This is the actual car I have chosen; http://whiteorchidweddingcarhire.co.uk/1.html

The dress

I started looking for my dress online for ideas as I knew what I didnt want but wasnt so sure on what it was I did want. I knew I didnt want a princess style, or a satin dress or a 'rustly' dress. I also have a phobia of strapless dresses so ruled these out aswell. So i figured my options were narrowed down enough I would find my dress pretty quickly. 

My 1st dress I fell in love with was online and an amercian website;

I loved the strap and the unique cut of the ruffles/layers on the skirt. It felt quite 'allsaints' style which I love but didnt know whether it'd be too risky buying online on a sight with limited reviews, so I saved the images in my folder & kept looking. 

The next couple of dresses were saved in my wedding folder too so I must of been inspired by these;

I mainly liked the skirt on the next one (not the strapless), also the grey matched my colour scheme;

I kind of left my dress hunt here for awhile thinking I would find something soon enough & being scared of bride shops didnt contemplate going to try any actual dresses on :-/  silly me x

The Bridesmaid dresses

These have been a consistent pain in the behind and are still not sorted. I decided on slate grey dresses for my 3 bridesmaids (my 2x sisters & h2b's cousin). I initially thought this colour would be simple enough to find on the highstreet and a cheaper option to keep my budget down but safe to say we couldnt find anything whilst shopping (im sure there were plenty of options when I chose this colour). 

My bridesmaids finally agreed on the same style although one of my sisters is having the longer length. This is the style they are having but in the dark grey.

This is the colour I pictured them in but with pale yellow bouquets.

I have the two short dresses now sorted but still waiting for the longer dress as they sent a short one by mistake, this is coming back into stock on Monday so hopefully I will be sorted soon image

I have got my bridesmaids silver swarovski necklaces with a yellow heart, they will also were silver shoes/sandals of their choice and I will pick out a grey or silver clutch soon for them. This is a similar necklace to the one I have chosen;

Flower girl

My niece who has just turned 5 will be my flower girl. I took her shopping to try on some dresses and shoes which she loved. 

Here she is trying on a dress in Debenhams;

She loved twirling in it,, we didnt get the dress but now I knew her size. But I did get her these shoes;

I wish mine were so easy to pick. Once home I found a similar dress on ebay which was £35 cheaper and fits her perfectly;

She will also have a white metal wand which has a heart shaped cage at the top which I have ordered with our flowers, it will have a ribbon and a flower on it. She will have frilly socks & ivory rosebud hairclips. I have also got her a silver heart necklace which says 'flowergirl' with a personalised inscription in the box to say thank you for being our flowergirl image x

The Cake

The cake wasnt really a big issue for me, im not really a cake person and h2b wasnt even sure he wanted a cut a cake although I have persuaded him otherwise. We decided on a simple M&S 3 tier ivory cake with rose detail icing. We will have the assorted tiers so there is a choice and it will be cut up on the evening reception so it will be used up. Below is a link for the cake;

http://www.marksandspencer.com/Classic-Rose-Assorted-Wedding-Cake/dp/B008G419W0?rrClickthru=Browse

I was however more interested in our cake toppers. I orginally wanted two entwined ornamental figurines but when browsing I came across this wedding topper;

I think it was on Etsy and think the lady that makes them doesnt do them anymore but as soon as I seen this I knew I wanted some little kitsch lovebirds. 

I then found this page and fell in love with the spindly legged birds;

http://chicvintagebrides.com/index.php/wedding-cake/love-birds-oh-so-sweet-cake-toppers/

Eventually I found a lady on folksy.com who makes similar birds and seen this listing where she custom makes them to make your colour scheme;

The below ones are my actual birds she made for me;

http://folksy.com/items/4130562-RESERVED-for-Clairemaxi-custom-wedding-bird-cake-toppers?fb_action_ids=10151530203104009&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=aggregation&fb_aggregation_id=246965925417366

Love them

• Those cake toppers are soo cute!! I'm really surprised you couldn't find grey dresses! I thought they'd be readily available on the high street! I don't think you have had much chance with the slate blue! Although I much prefer the grey and lemon colour scheme!! Looking forward to hearing about the dress!! The birds attire is great I'm sure it'll be something gorgeous!

I'm also not a fan of 'the spare wheel car' (no offence to anyone who is having one! All my friends did and were very offended when I said I wasn't a fan!) we looked at the rolls Royce silver cloud, but my friends husband has a classic sunbeam talbot 90 in cream so think I'm going to use that! image

Invitations are really cool!! I'm hoping to make my own but so hard to decide the style!! I've not seen postcard ones before but they look really professional!! Xx
  • MrsE2be2014MrsE2be2014 Posts: 1,458
    See love your thread! Fab story how u got together and suh a lovely proposal!! We both have the same shaped diamond ring our partners (us) hve good taste!

Keep it coming alright not very long at all to go u must be sooo excited! X
  • SilvereyeSilvereye Posts: 288
    Love this so far! Keep it coming! Those cake toppers are very cute!! I might have to have a look at the website myself! X

Thanks MondayBride & Silver-eye, I know they are adorable arn't they & so unique. They are worth every penny of £20 and a lovely keepsake, they are larger than I expected when they arrived but I guess that is a good thing image

MrsE2be - I love my ring and yes although I (we) might be abit biased I do believe an emerald cut diamond is the most stunning and elegant image

Thank you for following my thread and glad you's are finding it interesting. I have been busy with a couple of wedding things today;

Picked up my organza chair bows that were delivered to my parents, I am having lemon chair bows in the ceremony room & grey bows in the reception room. I also visited one of my bridesmaids to try on her dress and its fits and shes happy with it so that's 1 down and 2 to go. image

More planning info to follow (flowers);

• Love all this so far.

Lumley Castle is gorgeous my cousin got married there last year image You and your h2b make such a gorgeous couple too.

Really like your colour scheme and cake topper.

More please xx

Flowers

I only just sorted out my flowers about 4 weeks ago. One of my best friends is getting married this year in September and she is so much more organised than me. If it wasnt for her I wouldnt have got my butt off the couch to sort out my own car, flowers, photographer or dress...

Anyway she mentioned she was booking appointments to sort out her flowers and I panicked thinking I must do the same, thinking all florists where the same and probs around the same price I booked an appointment with one of the florists in the wedding magazine provided by Lumley Castle. I went with my mam to see her and just didnt get a good vibe, she didnt seem bothered by the business I was offering her and didnt seem interested in what I wanted. I felt like she was insisting on certain types of flowers etc. Anyway, I took her quote for my bridal bouquet, 3 x bridesmaids bouquet, 1 flowergirl wand & 10 x buttonholes (4 to be corsages). She quoted £330 which I was happy to pay but just wasnt happy with that company.

I tried a few other phonecalls and emails to different local companies with no prevail. Then my sister mentioned her friend was a florist (why didnt she tell me earlier). So I dropped by and she was so lovely and mustn't be a day over 22 but has had a little florist for about 2 years with her mam. Anyway in the end she quoted me £160 for exactly what I wanted and I was very happy with her service and would much rather give her the business. Here are some pics of her work;

Im not really clued up on types of flowers, i just know they are pretty and smell nice & knew I wanted yellow & ivory flowers with a grey ribbon. Here are my inspirations pictures I took for what I want for my flowers. 

xx

• TickleyJessTickleyJess Posts: 1,649
    Love your thread so far, Claire. Your colour scheme is really original and I think your stationery is so pretty - it looks really elegant.

I'm looking forward to reading about more of your plans image x

The Dress - Part Two

So to continue from my previous thread about my dress; I had been putting off actual dress shopping for aslong as I could. When it got to approx mid - February of this year (remember getting married in May), and my friend had announced she had been to try on wedding dresses, panic again hit me...

The 1st place I thought of for my dress was a bridal shop near to where I work. The shop had been subject to water damage from flooding last Sept so I knew about it because they were temporarily renting some of our old work offices not to far from our current building. I gave them a ring and they told me to pop down after work. I managed an early finish and I got there about 4pm & left approx 6pm image In those 2 hours I felt like I had tried on every dress in the shop. Because I went in & told them what I didnt want they made me try on them types of dresses anyway so I would def know I didnt want them they said.

After 2 hours I narrowed down my search to 3 dresses and then to 2. The 1st was a lacy strapless dress which I loved (even though I said I didnt want strapless), though because of my timescale if I wanted that dress it would have to be that actual dress as the order time was 20 weeks ('shouldnt of left it to the last minute was now running through my head'). If I chose that one it would also need to be altered aswell as is was a few sizes to big and the bottom of the lace needed to be hemmed properly.

Here was my 1st choice (ignore face);

They had added the sash so this would of been an extra cost and wouldnt have the tie on the back as it would be stitched to the dress.

Dress 2 was the 1st wedding dress I tried on in the shop, when I entered the shop in my head this was how I pictured my dress (mainly because of the straps lol)

I didnt like the front of the dress as much as the back (and perhaps still dont) I wouldnt have the bow on the front either which would just leave a plain satin band;

After sleeping on it and sharing the pics with my sisters and mam, I had made up my mind,,, I chose the 2nd dress. I loved the back of it and the lace straps against my shoulders. This dress was also a couple of sizes too big so the lace up detail would be more prominent on my actual dress in my own size. I rang the shop the next day and asked them to order it for me.

I also went with the veil, although I never thought I would have a veil (always thought I would go with a tiara) I felt it went with the dress.

As you can see the dress I chose wouldnt of went with my original choice of shoes. I havent seen my dress yet and its due in the beginning of April, I have had a few 2nd thoughts in the meantime but I guess its my own fault for leaving it to the last minute. This dress was available for a rush order which is why I could get my actual size unlike the other dress.

How you think I made the right choice? 

Love the 2nd dress....u realy pull it off and it looks great on you!

Aww thank you so much MrsE2be, that makes me feel alittle better about my choice. It was daunting dress shopping on my own and having to make such a big decision. Given the timescale aswell I was worried i had made abit of a rash panicky decision. Im sure i'll make it work (i hope).

Im thinking of a vintage side hair comb too but havent decided on what im doing with my hair yet,,, Maybe I should of called this post 'Last minute bride' lolimage

• I do like the first dress but the 2nd dress looks really nice I can just picture it with your theme! The back is gorgeous!! Lace is timeless always a winner!! Xx

Thank you MondayBride,, the back of the dress is what won me over too. image x

Reminders to myself!

Need to get these down on paper and out of my head;

Items still to purchase;

• Balance on dress once in shop
    • Hen party goodies (pass the parcel & wedding bingo prizes)
    • Shoes for both hen night & wedding day
    • Garter (undecided)
    • Hair comb slide for me & hair accessories for bridesmaids
    • Bridesmaids clutches (yellow or silver)
    • Underwear for wedding
    • Make-up for wedding
    • Truffles for non-drinkers at wedding
    • Post box for wedding cards
    • Sweets for children at wedding
    • Pay for cocktail making class (hen party)
    • Arrange transfer from Heathrow to Gatwick for honeymoon
    • H2b needs to decide on his suit so I can arrange groomsmen’s attire
    • Arrange final payment on flowers & wedding car
    • Personalised party popper stickers for evening reception

Things still to do;

• Decide on hair style for wedding day & book hairdresser if I decide im not doing my own
    • Make up the favour boxes
    • Make up the party goodie bags for hen party
    • Order cake
    • Order thank you bouquets for my Mam & MIL
    • Email DJ with playlist

Additional ideas;

• Wedpics cards from vistaprint (stolen idea from Jellybean)image
    • Crystal garlands for candelabras
    • Table runners (can I use spare chair bows)

Oh dear, im sure there is loads more I need to do and these are just the ones I have thought of 1st. Feel like I still have loads left to do. Don’t know whether I feel better or worse after doing this list and im sure ill be adding more but the next couple of weeks need to be spent concentrating on my last uni assignment that is gonna get most of my concentration for now :S xx

WOW what a list lol! But I know what you mean need to write stuff down as you always forget things!

Oooooo what are wedpics!?

After 3 hours of uni work I decided it was time for a treat & couldnt resist coming back to this website. MrsE2be - I know it does feels like a long long list but i will get there,, roll on pay day so I can hopefully get some stuff ticked off.

I wasnt entirely sure what wedpics were but seen them on Jellybean's thread (I think).. I believe its a free sharing website guests can upload digital pictures they have taken on your wedding day. I stole the idea of printing off cards from vistaprint (although ive never used it before & have no idea of how long they take to do or cost), you choose a password and can put this on the cards so your guests can pop it in there pocket and upload the pics at another time... thats my theory anyway, i need to research further im sure image x

Just wanted to also share what I came across on my lunch break at work today on ebay;

Ive be trying to think of what type of post box to get for our wedding cards from our kind guests, ive been contemplating the traditional ones or the wishing wells etc then i found this;

Its personalised and comes in different colours,, at £12.00 I think its a bargain image

Our wedding rings

One more thing to share before i send myself to bed are our wedding rings we chose. I knew I needed a platinum one to match my engagement ring and also wanted a little sparkle in my band. This is the one I chose for me, its a platinum band with 12 small diamonds, its also slightly curved to accommodate my engagement diamond image

H2b chose a plain 18ct white gold band siilar to this size and shape (he was happy not to have a platinum band even though I said he should have it);

Here is mine again worn with my engagement ring image Love it x

Honeymoon

Just a quick update to share the details of our honeymoon. We contemplated a few different places for our honeymoon such as Santorini in Greece, Morocco, Mexico, A mini tour of Rome, Venice & Florence, Italy, Paris, or Portugal. In the end we decided we definately just wanted somewhere warm and relaxing and romantic.

We chose the Beach View Hotel on Paynes Bay in Barbados. It looks really nice and it is very close to a beach and we know the weather will be lovely. We get married on the Friday and we fly on Sunday morning. We knew we didnt want to go back to work after the wedding as it'd be such an anticlimax. Its also abit of a pain that we cant fly direct from Newcastle so we are flying to Heathrow then a transfer onto Gatwick, on return we managed to get a flight direct from Gatwick to Newcastle. I cant wait for 8 beautiful romantic nights with my 'then' husband eek! image Here's some pics of the location & hotel;

The beach in front of the hotel ^

We upgraded to a sea view room so we are hoping we have a room something like this. The hotel is number one in Barbados on tripadvisor so we are both really looking forward to a lovely relaxing honeymoon and probs wont want to come homeimage xx