A little bit of everything, rolled into one - our large, happy Turkish wedding

Hi all,

Although I've got over a year to go to the wedding - I am in full wedding planning action and wanted to share with you for ideas/inspiration/advice...!

Our venue is booked, we'll be having our wedding on the Easter Sunday, 20th April 2014 with around 80 guests at the ceremony and 300 seated for the evening. 

Our venue is the beautiful Oakley House, Bromley Kent - pictures below;

• Mrs AyseMrs Ayse Posts: 561

But we'll have our Wedding Reception in here;

The entrance is not so great, but I will be decorating with some organza curtains around the doorway... it will be evening so maybe some fairy lights too image

And will be getting married in the Gazebo, just behind the house;

I was nearly in tears when I finally saw it, as when we booked they hadn't even built it yet... I so hope it does rain :S - it was slightly dark when I took the pic but you get the jist..

I will be walking up this path - to meet and marry my amazing Mr M (H2B)!

Apparently, she's planting rose bushes along the path so they'll look gorgeous!  If no roses arrive in April she'll put fake ones in - RESULT!!! image

The inside is just as nice, went to see it without all of the jazz of a wedding and its HUGE!!  It seats up to 350 guests, but we'll have 300 until midnight that night partying the night away image

With wedding stuff, it looks much grander!!!

Decorating the Venue:

I really wanted something grand on the ceiling, as the venue is a little modern - thought it would be nice to have a little glamour on the day.  So this is what I have decided on;

Please tell me what you think!?

Other decoration ideas;

There's a beautiful tree just by the gazebo, which I love...

And I'm going to put lanterns on it, to give a little light and romance to the day...

Said lanterns;

Although I don't have a picture of it, we have this gorgeous one way winding alleyway, that is lined with hedges on the lead up to the venue - I'm going to have bunches of baloons in bunches of 10, put into the ground so that they kind of wave hello to people as they come up - this is what I'm looking at (Pintr

And our headtable without the flowers is this - I'll be having a 4ft long blanket of babybreath and some other flowers in there to make it glamourous but still simple elegance...

est is my BEST FRIEND)...

Our table centrepieces are going to be dark silver candalabras - they are so elegant and with 300 people to feed, by far the cheapest options for 30 tables of 10!!  They'll look something like this and I'm getting them from Florist Supplies UK http://www.floristsuppliesuk.com/Wedding/Candelabras/

60cm BUCKINGHAM ALUMINIUM CANDELABRA

Colour Inspirations:

I'll be going for greys, champagne and pearlscent whites - they'll be a few blush colours along the way I'm sure but this is THE LOOK image

Bouquets:

I'm still debating...

Option 1.

Option 2...

The Good Stuff:

The bit about us image well we met online funny enough and it really did grow from there.  With me outgoing and him shy, we managed to get to know each other.  Last year on my birthday he planned a surprise trip to Paris and proposed outside our lovely little hotel just off the River Seine.  As you can see, he's a little bit romantic which I love.  I really am marrying my best friend (*not going to cry*).  We've been through the mill and back and now nearly three years down the line we are planning our wedding, getting the keys to our house this week and embarking on doing it up.  It's so run down it's not even funny!!! image

I guess the both of us love modern stuff, but I fall in love with vintage things so we're trying to balance everything in the wedding and the house, somewhere in the middle!!!

DIY:

I'll be doing quite a bit of DIY'ing as I'm really desparately trying to save some of our money for the house.  SO here goes:

The invitations:

Our caterer is kindly printing these for free and he's a good friend of mine, and so I'm going to snaz them up a little and help them fit into the theme.  So they'll look like this when they come back from the printers:

(without the bow, we're not bow people)

And I'll be gluing these into a pocketfold invitation

I'll be making 250 and the invitations I'll be getting from www.pocketfoldinvites.co.uk. What I'm hoping to achieve by the end of it is;

I just need to find some flat backed broaches at a reasonable price - anyone found some in their travels???!!  Help is definitely needed image

TablePlan:

With so many tables, I'm slightly worried about this and definitely can't do anything too fiddly or I'll probably explode from stress!!!!

Was thinking of something similar to this;

I'm trying to keep a broach theme going through.  I had wanted a broach bouquet but I LOVE fresh flowers and don't think I could bear not having them with me on the wedding day.  I'm going to get the flat backed broaches and use them EVERYWHERE.

SO THAT WILL BE:

Shoe clips for bridesmaids

On the wedding cake (getting from M&S and having a friend make me a flower to go on the top)

Invitations

Table plan

All signage (things like toiletries basket in the toilet)

etc...

A mini-update image

We have now booked;

• DJ (a friend of ours that does Turkish and English music, to keep the party going for everyone!)
    • Caterer, another friend who is charging us £30ph which is all catering (canapes, 3 course, salads, deserts, sorting our my cake and all BOOZE)
    • Photographer (another friend image Kerim khmphotography.co.uk) I'll show you some photos of his work later as we had him for our engagement shoot - amazing guy, really reasonable as well!
    • Wedding decorators, so Fatos will be doing all of my decor in and outside the wedding that includes the draping on ceiling, some tablecloths for smaller tables, lanterns, baloons, chair covers with taffeta rather than organza, backdrop, headtable, floristry - you name it, she's doing it and is really reasonable!  I highly recommend her and her prices!  http://www.cupidcreative.co.uk/index.php
    • My Wedding Dress, will show more images later on but I'm getting this made by Caroline Arthur (fab!!) and really quite reasonable.  She's also done DON'T TELL THE BRIDE
    • Invitations and RSVPS - like I said the caterer is doing
    • Davul Zorna - so basically in Turkish Cypriot weddings its traditional to have a trumpet and drum band walk you into the wedding hall.  The atmosphere is always electric!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkRZ64rMSj4
    • Favours - I'm going to buy nearer to the time but I'm going to have Green & Black mini chocolates and wrap them in a nice ribbon.  Planning on using the paper for the invitations as the little tag

I've still got some things to do but I'm sort of getting there... I think!  Encouragement pls image xx

The Wedding Dress:

So my dream has always been a more victorian looking dress, something unique but simple and elegant...

I did think of Taffeta but it really doesn't look great in pictures and the material is quite heavy, so will be going for a Ballgown dress, but in satin...

These are the dresses I'm looking at for inspiration;

THESE TWO are by FAR my favourites and have fallen in love with them;

Champagne, Ivory or a warmer colour - nothing to take too much away from the dress but enough for it to look vintage image

I'm yet undecided on shoes - I really don't know what I'll match with these dresses as they are so classic a pop of colour under it would look odd - any suggestions? x

My Man:

As our theme is grey, there's nothing really else to go for other than a grey suit and as Mr M doesn't want tails I'm going to go for a simple suit.  The twist is that he will wear a darker suit than the rest of the wedding party;

And with this to make it more fun lol!!

• Lovely thread keep it coming!

Have you tried the handcrafted card company for flat brooches? They do some lovely ones and very reasonable too! I bought loads for my brooch bouquet.

Thanks Rhodesbride2014 - I looked on there today and they really do reasonable brooches!  I was thinking as I'll be ordering quite a bulk (200+) that I might get a discount on it image  Fingers crossed!!

What does your brooch bouquet look like?  Wow, amazing that you're making it!  They look so fiddly! x

Car:

I never thought that this would be a big part of the wedding - I'm not really a car person anyway but with such a large wedding my budget is DWINDLING!  I'm trying to cut costs everywhere to be able to have a reasonably stress-free day. 

I'm thinking of having a black taxi - anyone got any other suggestions which are least expensive to hire?!  I'm open to anything image

So I've a hit a wall with the Candalabras.. They don't stock them anymore so I've had to go somewhere else and found these.. And bought 32 of them. One for each table and one either end of our love tableimage wooohooooo 

I've seen this and fallen in love but can only find it in the USA - has anyone seen one in the uk?? 

• :D:D Posts: 1,805

Lovely thread image When I was in John Lewis the other day I saw a similar design but in white- could you spray them? Then you could add beads you like? Might be worth checking ebay?

Really love your idea of tieing the lanterns to the tree, really want to do that too but wondering how easy it would be to turn them on. Have found battery lights in IKEA I might use image

Looking forward to reading more and the dresses are lovely! Have you tried any on? 

Hi image

So sorry it's taken me sooooo long to respond!  We've just bought a house and have been in the process of knocking walls out and pulling everything apart... To say 2013 is busy, would be an understatement!!

DId you see the cake stand in john lewis??  I would think it's worth spraying if I can get it in the UK!!

Hmmmmmmm, I'm sure we can find battery powered ones.. but to be honest, our wedding is during the day so they won't even need to be on image they're just there for effect!!! 

I have tried a few dresses on but they're really not my cup of tea - I'll be going next week (we've just had a close friends wedding and was waiting for her to be done and dusted - she's had enough of everything wedding related) image

Have you tried any on??  x

• LGSLGS Posts: 1

Did you have a Turkish menu?  If so, please could you share the caterers contact details?  Thanks!

Hi there, 

The caterer is Turkish but he can do whatever food you like. They are called Grand Palace Banquetting (located in Wood Green, London).  If you type it into google you'll come up with it.  The owners name is Celal and he's really nice!  Please do go to him, he's really, really reasonable as well image good luck!! x

So, we're a bit further along the way now and I have just met with the Florist and Decorator of the venue who is just the loveliest lady and I cannot wait to work with her.  We've decided on having fresh rose petals on the table around the candlabras in a light coral to compliment my platinum grey and coral theme.  She'll be decorating the ceiling with a different drape (pictures to come) and she will also be providing all the head table decorations, bouquets, flower girl garlands, a nice flower for my older bridesmaids hair, buttonholes and decorating the outside of the venue with flowers too.  She's doing the chair covers and making the toilets look pretty image All in all, she's doing the entire thing!  She's going to look for a cake stand as well!!! image)))

I'm getting exciteddddddddddddddddd