Beach I do

I met my fiancé, 2 1/2 years ago Through the wonderful world of online dating. We hit it off from the start and a year later we were moving into our new home, leaving behind the homes of our single lives to start our life together.  This year saw me turn the big 30 and a trip to Venice where the expectation of a proposal was strong.... But became non-existant, he doesn't like to do whats expected of him!

This summer we went for a lovely holiday to Corfu, two days remaining at a lovely trip to Corfu Town, we went down to an empty bar to grab a drink and admire the view where he presented me with the most gorgeous ring he had made for me months before. He had even been round to my dad to ask his permission, which I absolutely loved!

We spend lots of holidays hopping in Mabel (our VW camper van) and heading down to Cornwall, so there was no question that this would be where we would get married.  luckily we had a holiday already planned so used it to go round all the venues, I was getting a little disheartened when we stumbled upon the gorgeous Blue Bar in Porthtowan...with availability the first Saturday of our summer holidays (important with all the children and teachers coming)!

• herstoryherstory Posts: 1,268

Woohoo, it's so good when you find a venue you love and they have a date that works for you free. This is why we ended up with a mere 9 months to plan our wedding.

• SW83SW83 Posts: 411

How are you finding the time? from the date we booked it was just days shy of a year. I'm getting a bit edgey as I feel I've got too much time so battling between being organised but leaving some things to enjoy next year image

Here are some pics of the venue, the whole wedding will be here...

I had strong feelings as to what my dress would be like...bateau neck, slight a-line with lace detail. But when my bridesmaid and I went to the Wedding Dress Factory Outlet I was completely confused what to go for, all dresses were within my budget (no dress is over £450) no dress was making me smile until I tried on this one....

I couldn't stop smiling and absolutely fell in love with it. My BM couldn't see why I loved it so much more than the others and was routing for another one, but I spoke to my mom and she encouraged me to stick to my guns. Mom refuses to see me in it until the day but as soon as she saw the dress she couldn't help but cry (first time I've seen her cry that I can remember). Admittedly both my folks seem  to be getting rather emotional, but I think that just shows how happy they are for me and how much they love my OH image Right bed time, much more to catch up on Still though!

Finally recovered from my best friends hen party the weekend, seemed to be a great success. Definitely recommend  vodka revolutions and their cocktail master class, but don't recommend the chilli vodka shots image

Also managed to spend some time planning with my OH, he finished the rest of his evening invites (all have gone due to saving costs my not sending save the dates and also to give everyone enough time to book holiday and accommodation). And we decided that we'll get personalised sticks of rock to act as our name place cards and favours. Thought it would be quite fitting for our venue.

our invites are based on the old style card double cd wallets and have a mixed cd in each, with the RSVP being the fan club postcard. It was a DIY job and had some great responses, love that everyone has made the cd their resident car cd image My OH is very much into his music and festivals and I'm a choreographer so thought music was a perfect representation of us, but not using it as a rigid theme. 

The cake

i absolutely love cake and all things sweet, love watching choccywoccydoodah but couldn't stretch the budget that far! When searching the Internet for unique wedding cakes we came across this....

Loved it, so we're having white chocolate instead of icing, top layer will be lemon and white chocolate and bottom tier is chocolate fudge (OHs favourite!) quite sadly I absolutely love our cake and can't wait to see it on the day image 

The Bridesmaids

I am very lucky to have 4 amazing female friends that I've grown up with and all bring something special to my life so disregarding our small wedding I was determined all four should be my bridesmaids, I couldn't pick between them. I have two young nieces who have been so understanding about not being BMs in fact I think friends of the family have had more to say on the matter, but the ppl that are importang have understood my reasoning. On the day they will get to wear gorgeous dresses and I will have photos with them, and I'm thinking about getting them a mini wrist corsage like my BMs will be having. 

I havent been able to find dresses for the adults that I both like and can afford so my cousin will be making them for me based on a dessy design in an electric blue. Can't wait to get them started in the new year.

To save on the flower bill they'll be having wrist corsages instead of bouquets. Both MIL and I have trained in floristry and it would be great to do the flowers together but I think it would be too much pressure to source the flowers that I want and not get stressed putting them together. So it's uber important for me to find a fantastic florist!  

happy Christmas everyone! Feeling a little big of a loner on here so please feel free to comment, I appreciate peoples views and as today I've been labelled a bridezilla and a Monica by my friends I'm going to have to avoid the topic around them for a while image.

Our lovely family have given us money for christmas so we spent yesterday at the jewellery quarter buying our rings, OH and I fell in love with a gorgeous vintage inspired ring for me and we're having it made so just waiting for a CAD image and then they'll make a mock up in wax for me, really excited by the process. OH chose his in about ten minutes, normally it's the other way round and he is really picky! This is the ring mine will be based on. 

Woo hoo... Not only can I now say we get married this year, we're now less than 200 days til  the big day image X 

• VictoriaoVictoriao Posts: 1,536

Not sure how I have missed your thread seen as the forum's been quiet over Christmas! Gorgeous ring, love the plans you've already made. Sounds like you will have a busy year with another wedding to attend! Looking forward to hearing more!

can not see why you have been labeled a bridezilla your plans seem so laid back and chilled!

Thanks Victoriao I'm loving planning our big day, although OH hinks everything is done now lol, still got so much to sort, haven't even got into the little details that will make our day so special.

Ive always been seen as a bridezilla with my friends as I LOVE weddings, I'm a hopeless romantic! They think I have everything already planned, but I really don't image

How are your plans going? X

Every now and then I think things are fine and then I have a mad panic that there's not enough time don't I know there's only 255 days to go???? Aaarrrggghhh. As you can guess I'm in panic mode at the moment. But it will be alright on the day. I have decided

• LivelifeloveLivelifelove Posts: 1,024 New bride

I love the cake! image looking forward to reading more of your plans. 

It will be more than alright Victoriao you will have an amazing day image

Thanks Pinkstars, I think we may be on a sugar high after eating it, but all the better for dancing the night awayimage

There'a so much that we've sorted that I've not yet added....

The Photographer

the OH and I are terrible when it comes to having our photo taken, so it was really important we find someone we trusted and felt comfortable with. On our last trip to Cornwall we discovered Dan Ward a local photographer with a relaxed attitude and flexible approach, and very reasonably priced. Lucky for us he's available on our date. Booked him straight away and will be meeting him next month on our next trip image 

The Entertainment

As I touched on earlier music is really important to us so there was no question that we would have a live band, we found a great Indie/rock band called The Breaks from Devon. They fit perfectly with our taste. In order to get our guests used to the music we'll be having we included our favourite songs on our wedding invite CD. I've actually converted some of my friends and they now not only know who Frank Turner and StringerBessant are but also like their music! In an ideal world we would have loved to have StringerBessant but they were out of our budget and we agreed it would be a bit too self indulgent. They're an acoustic band so would be hard to get the party spirit we're after.  

• MrsH2013MrsH2013 Posts: 842

My Godparents used to live up in the cliffs in Porthtowan so I know where your venue is! What a gorgeous setting! I'll definitely be coming back to read your updates image

In need of some help....I keep thinking about centre pieces and can't think what to have. To keep flower costs down I don't want to have floral centre pieces. We have loose themes of blue (various shades) and the beach/seaside. The tables are rectangular and will seat six at each And will be dressed with white tablecloths, navy napkins and place settings/favours are personalised sticks of blue and white striped rock. We are not having chair covers as we like the relaxed wicker feel of the chairs and will just coordinate with navy organza sashes. 

Can an anyone suggest a quirky (and cost saving) option? X 

MrsH2013 I am so jealous of your Godparents! I love Porthtowan...maybe one day.... image

We've booked one of the houses (As have my parents) in Towan Valley! Something we're both really looking forward to image X 

Centrepieces. How about vases with shells in the bottom, filled up with water and candles floating on the top. Or different blue candles on mirrors? Or hurricane vases with candles set into shells...

I could go on but feel I am taking over! Have you tried searching on Pinterest for ideas (my name's Victoria and I'm a Pinterest addict!). You can put random search terM&S and it has not failed me yet!

Or balloons? You can buy a canister of gas fairly cheaply these days and some really nice balloons...

step away from the ideas button Victoria (climbing back under my rock!)

Please go for it Victoriao....I've tried Pinterest but struggling to find something I like and that I feel is unique but still classy and contemporary. Was thinking something to do with sandcastles but can't think what!

I like your idea of vases with floating candles and shells, definitely captures the beach and sea image

Ok now this is all your own fault! You gave me permission!!!! image

Love them! I even got a grunt of approval from the OH image

Think I may head to Ikea the weekend to peruse the vases, as they have a few cylinder ones and also like the short rectangular one! Really like the idea! Also like the ones with a simple (but gorgeous) orchid in the water. X 

Steady, a grunt of approval! image My work here is done!

• maggi68maggi68 Posts: 166

We are getting married in Corfu so I love the fact that you got engaged in Corfu Town! We've chosen Corfu as the island means a lot to us so I'm thrilled that it now means something to you too!

Your venue looks stunning and believe it or not I got my dress from Wedding Dress Factory Outlet too but in the Bolton branch, I couldn't believe the quality and variety of dresses. I though I'd died and gone to heaven when I walked in and saw that many dresses!!

If you fancy sandcastles what about making a clay type castle and then decorating it with shells or smaller flowers to use as a centre piece?

Hi Maggi68 I'll have to take a gander at your planning thread, love Corfu. We visited a place called Sunset Beach on about our second day of our holiday and OH was all set to propose there after dinner watching the sunset, but then as it got closer to sunset it got really stupidly busy and he wanted the proposal to be an intimate thing between the two of us so he didn't pop the question until 12 days into our holiday....I suspected nothing lol.

Definitely willing to try your suggestions, what I would absolutely love to find is glass sandcastle buckets, but I'm failing in my mission so far image 

I know Victoriao I thought I was going to have to get him to sit down the level of enthusiasm he was showing image

In fairness he was preoccupied sorting all his things for an upcoming boarding holiday (without me) but as soon as he sat down to relax he suggested we go shopping the weekend to find some suitable vases - so he does care after all image

One shopping trip down and I think we've got our centrepieces sorted, jus need a few shells from our next holiday. I know the jars with lids are a bit random but we like them...

Very nice! I like them. You could even put some shells in the lids. 

Thanks for the inspiration Victoriao! Much appreciated, especially as they've come in stupidly under budget image

Glad to help! Now more money to spend elsewhere image  

• MrsH2013MrsH2013 Posts: 842

Ooh lovely centre pieces! I'm also a pinterest addict, still look at wedding stuff even though I'm married! 

Ah lucky you, such a cool place to stay! I was so sad when they moved but my parents are moving down to Cornwall in a few years so I'm looking forward to being down there!

Hmmm we've got a slight shortfall to get rid of so if anything less money to find image I can't believe how expensive weddings are!

Thanks MrsH2013 I'm glad I've got them sorted, OH and I have spent the evening on internet looking for the favours and trying to slash another thing on the budget image 

Very jealous of your folks, such a fab place to live! My dad is originally from Devon and I love going back to visit! x