Our Private Cameo Island Wedding

Well ive been on this forum for about a year now ive read lots of planning threads and really enjoyed them im on here every day so thought with less than 3 months to go i would have a go at writing my own , its just a place where i can put everything down together and know what ive done (it wont get lost like all the bits of paper i seem to have scattered about ! ) ,

About Us

We have both been married before OH was young and stupid  (hes older now at least !) he really just married because of the kids he has 3 so in the end they parted , my marriage just really fell apart and neither of us even now can say what went wrong . My son was almost 4 when we split and i decided i didnt want another relationship anytime soon so i spent 5 years on my own ,my friend joined a dating website (and found her now husband ) so i thought i would have a go didnt even own a computer back then, i chatted with people but nobody stuck out but it was a laugh and it was nice to chat from the comfort of my own home .

In Oct 2006 i got a like so i thought i would check him out his messages made no sense what so ever ( i thought he was drunk everytime he sent me a message ) after a few days i asked are you drunk ? no came the reply ive got  dyslexia image

We chatted for a few weeks then he told me he was seeing somebody image but we kept in touch as we got on so well , a couple of days later he told me he was single and could we meet ,our first date was on 3rd Nov 2006 so we arranged it and the rest they say is history .

We had been together about 6 months when i noticed something not quite right this feeling went on for a few weeks till he eventually told me his business had to close (he was self employed ) he made the decision one weekend rather than go bankrupt he sold everything he owned cars, motorbikes , house , furniture everything went he managed to walk away with no debts but all he had was the  dog a TV and a fridgefreezer image i took the dog and the TV the freezer went into storage (my house wasnt big enough ) it never occured to either of us about moving in together as we hadnt been with each other that long , he moved into his mates hole (thats a nice word for the state of the place ). he was really lucky after 200 job applications he managed to get a job and after a few months rented a small house .

We carried on our relationship every weekend it was a 45 mile trip there so we did alternate weekends at each others this went on for 18 months then he started hinting about me moving in with him , i cut him short there was no way i would move my son out of a really good school to go to the ones near him (they all have a bad reputation ) also i work for a small family company so i couldnt transfer so id be without work and he didnt want to leave his family as he saw his kids most nights , so we hit a stale mate.image

• Jo35Jo35 Posts: 305

In Aug 2008 out of the blue he announced he had managed to get a transfer from work and that he wanted to move in (talk about just invite yourself ) so in he moved so not only did i have his dog he was there too also at the weekends the kids came over was a bit cramped (i only had a small 2 bedroomed house $ kids and 2 adults it was cosy ! ) he managed to buy his motorbike and get a decent car but the house was just too small . eventually we moved somewhere bigger , in Aug 2010 we realised we could get a mortgage so yet again he sold everything so we could get a deposit together car went bike went but we didnt care we could get our own place , we got the keys in Dec 2010 so chuffed . 

Once we were in then the hints came !!! he wanted to be married but i didnt image not because i didnt love him there was just one reason ! This may sound like im being stupid ! i didnt want to have a different name from my son while he was still at school and that was my preference just something i felt strong about but OH totally understood (although by this time son was 13 ) so didnt have long to wait.

There was no big proposal i had a feeling he was going to ask he had had a really busy month at work but he had no money on Dec 1st 2012 he got down on bended knee and asked me to be his wife ,promply followed by i know its not going to happen yet but we need time to save (how romantic image) so we decided Aug 2014 as we always have our holiday , so the saving started.x

• :D:D Posts: 1,805

Yay! Been hoping you would write a thread for ages image Looking forward to reading more about your plans image

ah thanks D 

The Ring

we started saving hard but then disaster struck , my car was quite old it had done well but its days were numbered so then came the decision we had to use our wedding savings to buy me another car so it was back to square one on the savings front image

Venue

I wanted to go abroad (i did this 1st time round aswell) but OH didnt ,he has a large family and knew that most of them couldnt afford to go we had many a discussion in the end i gave in and we started looking around the area i couldnt  find a hotel i liked neither of us wanted to go to the local registry office so we found Brooksby Hall just a few miles away , they were having a wedding fayre so we went down 

we went to the fayre and had a look around it was beautiful i turned to OH to ask what he thought and the look on his face said it all image all he said was get me out of here i thought i was going to have to carry him ! we got outside i asked what was wrong he was shaking  , he had had a panic attack ! oh great ! when he managed to speak all he said was i cant marry somewhere like this image perhaps we should go abroad just a few of us imageimage so i did eventually get my own way now it was a question of where ?image

so we decided on a budget then started looking abroad my friend had recently got married in Rhodes it was beautiful but we didnt want to go to the same place as they went then i looked at Cyprus OH wasnt keen so looked back at Greece then i found it 

you have the ceremony in a little cove on the waters edge

i just fell for it , problem was budget but we sat down (again) went through the budget and got several quotes and realised we could do it so we asked about available dates they only had 4 as there is only 1 wedding allowed there each day  so we picked 9th Aug 2014 so the saving begins again x

• NuggyNuggy Posts: 527

ooh lovely! Looks beautiful x

Invites

We decided to have our invites to go with a travel theme we both liked the boarding card style

but then we found the passport style and wanted something like this

they were not easy to do as neither of us are that good with computers we sat down and decided what information we wanted to include and designed the cover , the cover proved to be a nightmare everything just kept going wrong couldnt line anything up wouldnt print properly in the end the printer just packed up so we had to get the cover printed at the local printers

we did manage to do all the inside pages , the boarding card RSVP and the envelopes

Dress

I knew what sort of dress i wanted something ivory very light and floaty , chiffon possibly halter neck but very plain no lace and not to much detail

i tried a few of this style on but they looked totally hideous on me then the lady gave me a lace one and i found i quite liked it but it was far too heavy, started to look at second hand and sample dresses as my budget wasnt much then found this on preloved

took my mum with me to look at it and it is beautiful not what i expected to buy it has lace , detailing and is champagne !!image

Shoes

Didnt want ivory shoes just a personal choice so looked at champagne coloured needed something with a small heel as the ground is uneven ,but couldnt find anything i really liked then i saw a picture of a bride with coloured shoes so thought i would try blue (for my something blue )

something like these

but then realised they wouldnt match my dress so decided i really wanted a bold colour so eventually got these

and i really love them image

Flowers

I wanted to have a go at making my own bouquet ! ive never done any flower arranging or anything like it but thought i would have a go ,

my first attempt

thought they looked a bit plain so decided to add some colour so found some flowers that matched my shoes

so after that thought about buttonholes

these are for OH , my dad and my mum OH parents arent coming i had bought ivory roses as that is what i had originally wanted but in the end didnt use them in my bouquet so as there are only 17 of us i used them to make everybody one

the ladies have pearls in them and the mens are plain all in all im quite chuffed with them image

Dont know where we are having our reception yet we will find a nice restaurant when we are there we still wanted place cards and favours so we decided on wine glass stem charms 

even did them for them men

we have also got fans for the ladies but are struggling as to what to get them men also got 3 kids to sort out 

The place card holders were so quick and easy and a bit different 

• NuggyNuggy Posts: 527

You've done such a good job with the flowers they look great! The dress is beautiful and invites look fab image

Aw thanks Nuggy , not done much DIY before but I'm really enjoying it imagex

I thought i would do my own confetti as when i was at my friends abroad wedding there were only a couple of us that had it and i like a good confetti shot ,decided to use light pink and ivory as thought if its too hot and sweaty it might stick and stain , 

couldnt decide what to put it in then came across confetti cones so bought some patterned card also put some ribbon on to carry them also wouls like to hang them on the chairs .

Jewellery

Couldnt decide on what to have so in the end opted for a backdrop necklace , bracelet and earrings 

also ended up with yet another trip to hobbycraft as i had seen a hair slide and grips so thought i would have a go 

the start of it

half way through ( starting to loose the will at this stage )!

hair slide finished

hair slides finished imagex

Rings

Have now got our rings OH is a plain band wanted mine to have a little bling on it 

imagex

Have been thinking about some sort of guest book , didnt want a normal book as there arnt many of us so thought it would look empty so then thought about a fingerprint tree as i really like these as they are a bit different 

some thing like this

but then we would still have the same problem but it would look bare , so had a look round and found a picture signing frame 

so decided to go with go with that and have one engraved 

imagex

• Mrs pickleMrs pickle Posts: 319

Hi

how did you get your frame engraved? I love that idea!

we got them done at occasion supplies

http://www.occasionsupplies.co.uk/

they do all different sizes and colours x

• Mrs pickleMrs pickle Posts: 319

Ooooh thanks very much!

• KK12KK12 Posts: 927

Well done with all the DIY stuff - the location looks lovely! We are having a Greek island inspired wedding but in this country - 3 weeks on Saturday! 

• KK12KK12 Posts: 927

I just saw on your thread that you had looked at Brooksby Hall - I've not been there but seen pics - we often do wedding fayres at Scalford Hall nearby! x

After OH panic attack we never made it to Scalford Hall but i do think i would probably be too expensive it looks it , imagenot that im bothered now we have a lovely venue booked ,imagex

not long to go now , ordered some peg it dolls cake toppers they took about 5 weeks to be made but im so pleased with them 

i love the flowers being 3d not just painted on 

well worth the money imagex