Board/card games for non-dancers at reception?

I am wondering about having a few games put on the tables when dancing starts for anyone who doesn't want to dance. I don't think it would be many, but I can already identify a few dull relatives who would steer clear of the dancefloor and some pregnant and quieter friends who will likely want a break from dancing. Does anyone have any suggestions of games that are either incredibly easy to learn, or everyone knows already, that are over quickly or can allow people to join in or leave easily and ideally more fun than chess/scrabble! I was thinking more travel/card deck size than anything on a huge board as the tables will still have decorations on. Can't have anything outdoor as it'll be October, and as we're in one teepee it will have to something that doesn't need silence as the band will be nearby. Eek! Thanks in advance! 

• VicNVicN Posts: 1,352

Connect 4? Jenga? Hungry hippos (haha!)? 

• herstoryherstory Posts: 1,268

I wouldn't worry about it, most people will talk to others, take pictures or stare at their smart phone! I had at least 40 none dancers 20 of them propped up the bar in the other room or messed about with the video guest book, the rest chatted to other guest, took photos, or messed with their phones. We also had props for the video guestbook, a lot of them ended up in the reception room or on th he dance floor!

• BanariBanari Posts: 1,847

I agree with Herstory that they really won't be needed. I'd say dancing and non dancing guests were split 50/50 at my wedding and they all entertained themselves with chatting an drinking. The non dancers are used to not dancing at events so theyre used to making chatter and other ways to entertain themselves. My hubby never dances at anything we go to (including our own wedding) and still always has a good time!

We did have a fuseball table set up in the bar area of the barn though and I'd highly recommend that! 

But if you did want games I love the idea if hungry hippos and maybe guess who , frustration, operation or snakes and ladders? All the golden oldies games people know!

• ElizabElizab Posts: 64

Thanks everyone x

• hf1989hf1989 Posts: 416

As we're having a 20s theme, we're going to have Mah-jong on the tables (I've never even played this!) and we'll also set up some authentically 20s poker tables. Crosswords were also popular at the time so we're going to dot a few of these around - but personalised ones where the clues are about us!