Forum home Your planning threads

Our small Cornwall wedding. May 2017

I've been debating whether to do one of these or not but thought it would be nice to look back on. So here goes:

How we met

I was 20 and h2b was 21. I'd just come out of a long term relationship and wasn't interested in finding love any time soon. I made friends with a guy at the pub and was hanging out with him a lot. One weekend his friend Adam from college came down and we all spent the weekend together hanging out. The guy I'd met at the pub was only a friend but all of a sudden got it in to his head that me and his friend (h2b) were messing about with each other. Que awkward argument and me leaving. But first, Adam asked for my number. We spent the next week or so texting and he kept pestering me for a date. I refused the date but agreed to a cinema trip as it was less date like lol baby ways, we went and saw UP and he was the perfect gentleman and didn't try anything on. i should probably add we lived over 1 hour apart so would meet halfway. Anyways, he invited me to a tractor rally one weekend (basically camping in a field, driving tractors and lots of alcohol) after a lot of alcohol we had our first kiss. I then spent the duration of the following day nursing a hangover in the sun. The rest is history. After 18 months I moved from Essex to Hertfordshire and we rented a flat together. 

The proposal 

it was my 23rd birthday. Adam had taken me out for dinner and we were sat in the restaurant. All of a sudden he reached across the table, stared lovingly in my eyes and told me how much he loves me and wants to spend the rest of his life with me. He then pulled his hand out from under the table and was clutching on to..... His phone! He thought it was hilarious, I ran off in tears. I didn't speak to him for 3 days 😂 Fast forward 3 months. We are at home, he cooks me an amazing meal and afterwards, got down on one knee, in my lounge, and asked me to marry him. I laughed as he used my full name and never normally does. We knew it would be a long engagement as we were wanting to buy our own home first. May 2015 we finally moved in to our very own house 🎉

• Dora3Dora3 Posts: 1,218 New bride

The wedding ideas

Where to start. We knew we didn't want a big wedding as we both don't really like the attention on us. We finally decided to get married in Cornwall. The reason for this is we wanted a small wedding and we both absolutely love Porthleven. We go every year and it's our special place. Our plan was a registry office then off to the pub. 

After a bit of looking around we struggled to find a registry office that was nearby and not down an Alley way (seriously) Then my mum came across this... 

This is The Alverton Manor in Truro

Now I know what you're thinking. That's not a small kinda venue, and you're right. 

this is where the ceremony takes place (It's set up for a conference here but you get the idea  

I thought it it was far to grand but we booked in to see it anyway. 

May 2016 - Trip to Porthleven to plan 

myself, Adam and my parents headed down for a week of planning. First on the list was to see the venues we had liked. First stop, The Alverton Manor hotel. Monday 16th May 

As we sat waiting for the wedding coordinator we took in the beautiful gardens, and a very large glass of Sauvignon Blanc. Catherin first showed us the wedding albums and everything looked so beautiful. We then went through to the grand hall where the ceremony would be. ^^ it was stunning but huge! baring in mind we are having approx 30 guests I thought it was too big. But Catherin showed me the room set up for a smaller ceremony and that was it! I needed to get married here! We discussed options for the wedding breakfast. I didn't really want it in the grand hall, we wanted something a bit more intimate, so we went through to the library and it was perfect. Smaller room, with french doors leading out to the gardens. We discussed food and then the price. I was panicking it would be too expensive, however, getting married on a Tuesday really brings the price down 😂 Everyone seemed happy and we decided to have lunch there to test the food. Me and my dad went to the car to get our dogs out and I left my mum with Adam and asked her to see if he was happy with it all. When we returned Adam and my mum were buzzing about the venue. We had a beautiful lunch and decided we didn't need to see any other venues, as we were getting married here! 

The following morning I booked the registra and my parents put the deposit down on the venue! It was official. We have a date, venue and registra. We celebrated by posting this on Facebook for our friends and family to see 

We asked Catherin to send us as many contacts as possible and she didn't let us down. Amongst the different contacts was 3 harpists. We laughed about having one. Then my dad youtubed it. We were hooked and after finding 'can you feel the love tonight' on the harp, we decided we would book one. That's what I will walk down the aisle to. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVrmevpioHg Have a listen, you won't be disappointed 😍

wednesday 18th May. adam have picked up a leaflet for a photographer at the venue and we decided to do some Facebook stalking. It was really helpful to see previous weddings he's done in our venue and the pictures were beautiful. I emailed him asking for a quote for him to be there for Prep, guests arriving, ceremony, group pics and ones of myself and Adam after the ceremony. He came back to me with an amazing quote of £400! We couldn't believe it so we arranged to meet him the following day at the venue

Thursday 19th May

we arrive at the venue and sit in the bar, another large Sauvignon Blanc in my hand. As we are waiting, a man walks in and I hear Him say "Tom the photographer" so like  loon I wave my hand in the air and shout hi. Adam then informs me he actually said "I'm meeting Tom the photographer"😳  I quickly apologise and take a huge gulp of wine. Then the man walks over amd starts talking to us. Tens out he was collecting his wedding album from Tom and was singing his praises. That was great to hear it first hand and when Tom arrived he gave the man his album first and he brought it over to show us. The pictures were beautiful, as was the album. The man leaves and Tom sits down. He pulls his albums out and it's only now that we realise we'd already seen his work. It's his albums the venue showed us a few days ago. We discuss what we want and that we didn't want him there for the wedding breakfast, as who wants a photo taken of them shoving food in their gob! He suggests we do the speeches before the meal as that way he can photograph that. This sounded good to us. He asked us about our evening reception and we mention we are going back to Porthleven for that. Turns out he lives 3 miles from there and he has offered to meet us back in porthleven and take photos on the harbour.... For no extra charge!!!!!!! I like him even more!!!! Deposit paid and photographer booked!!!

Transport

As everyone is staying in Porthleven and the venue is in Truro (half hour journey) we decided to hire a coach to transport everyone there and back. We looked at vintage buses etc, but you have to go up a steep hill to get to the venue and Catherin had warned us they just can't make it up there. So a coach it is. We emailed a few companies and got a great price. Booked them! 

the evening venue

We still liked the idea of going to a proper Cornish pub and before we'd even gone down to Porthleven had selected one, The Ship Inn

it's a proper Cornish pub and we spend a lot of time in there when on holiday. We went for a drink on the Monday and we were horrified to find they do their pub quiz on a Tuesday. This wouldn't work for either party. We decided to keep quiet about wanting it as a evening venue and thought we would come back for the pub quiz on the Tuesday to see how busy they get. It was packed. We decided to take part in the quiz and somehow we came 2nd! Even though we were pretty wasted by the time we started 😂

My dad trundles off to find the manager and asked for a meeting over the next few days to discuss our ideas etc. 

Thursday the 4 of us go and meet Ollie, the pub manager. We discuss having the evening do there and he offers us exclusive use of the 'Smithy' and half the pub sectioned off. we said we didn't want the locals to be pushed out so we could just reserve one corner of the pub for the oldies lol. They agreed to move quiz night too 🎉 We asked the price of the smithy and the pub, and you guessed it, on a Tuesday night... It's free!!!!!! Evening venue booked! 

We then started discussing music with him and he gave us a few names of people that have played there and we took that away to research. We were chatting to a lot of the locals and everyone was raving about a man called Graham Buxton so he was now top of the list. We got home and found him and all loved his music. Just a man and a guitar. He has a Rod Stewart sound to his voice but does modern songs too. Adam emailed him and we waited to hear back from him. The following morning, my mum is on the phone to him. Turns out he lives in Cambridge!!!! But he loves Cornwall, especially Porthleven!! he does regular gigs down there and said he would come down for the wedding and play for us. He is has pencilled us in but we wanted to hear him play first. We are going back to Porthleven in October to sort hair / make up trials etc and he is playing at the Ship Inn then, so we will get to hear him and see him in our evening venue. Fantastic! 

Wedding breakfast

we decided on the food while at the venue. We wanted nice food but nothing too posh. We have decided on Tomatoe soup to start, they poshed it up but ultimately, it's Tomatoe soup 😂

For mains the choice between, steak and ale pie or chicken, bacon and leek pie. Again they poshed it up lol. I had it for lunch to test it and it was gorgeous. The picture doesn't do it justice

For dessert we are having triple chocolate cheesecake. I'm not really a dessert person so I let Adam pick what he wanted 

im a bit worried about the soup and my dress but I'm sure I will be fine lol 

Going to have to post this now as its lagging really badly and I think it's the picture that's causing it 

home time

it was time to go home after a week in our favourite place and I can't believe how much we achieved in such a small space of time.

Registra ✅

Venue ✅

evening venue ✅

photographer ✅

transport ✅ 

wedding breakfast ✅

harpist ✅

evening entertainment hopefully sorted. 

I Forgot to add, Porthleven is dog friendly and my parents have 3 dogs. The venue is partially dog friendly but not the library where we will be having our wedding breakfast. we decided to look in to a dog sitter as we have potentially 6 dogs coming lol. We found the lady who works behind the bar at the Shipp was all over our dogs and she has offered to look after them while we are at the ceremony. So that's another thing sorted 🎉

• NightsparkNightspark Posts: 566

Great venues! I love Cornwall too! I love the Facebook announcement picture too! Also a massive dog lover so totally understand the importance of those! Look forward to the rest of the planning, I'm a May bride too :)

Hi Nightspark. How strange that you've commented, as it's actually your planning thread I sat and read today which made me do my own. Loving your colours! Will pop a hello on yours shortly. More has happened since this but i thought I'd stop as was at work 😂 Xxx 

• MrsLMTMrsLMT Posts: 3,830

Sounds lovely! 

Dora3 wrote (see post):

Hi Nightspark. How strange that you've commented, as it's actually your planning thread I sat and read today which made me do my own. Loving your colours! Will pop a hello on yours shortly. More has happened since this but i thought I'd stop as was at work 😂 Xxx 

oh well I am glad I've inspired you to make your planning thread cause I'm loving it so far :) can't wait for more :)

Bridesmaids

heres where it got complicated. I always wanted my two closest friends as my BMs. I've known them since school and having moved an hour away our friendship is still as strong as ever. My closest friend of the two, Anna, got married in April and myself and the other friend was her BMs so I wanted them beside me on my special day. However, I have an older sister. We are polar opposites and argue constantly. She's just had a baby girl (the same day my best friend got married might I add) and as soon as she found out she was having a girl she decided my niece would be flower girl! I completely agreed as who can resist a 1 year old in a pretty dress. However, I thought my sister would have her hands full with baby and so decided she wouldn't be a BM. Big mistake. My sister said she was fine but then cried on a family friend about it. I felt awful. As she would be takkng my niece down the aisle I decided it makes sense for her to be BM too. But her priority on the  day will be her daughter. There's more to this but I dont want to go in to it just yet lol. 

So my friends are super excited about being BMs and I can't wait to take them dress shopping for their dresses. 

Make up and hair 

originally I planned for us to do our own make up. However, having been pampered at my friends wedding I soon changed my mind lol. I've emailed a few and have found someone and just need to put the deposit down and book her. I want my makeup fairly natural but with enough coverage to last the day and night. I'm back to Cornwall in october so will have a trial then. 

ive also found someone for hair. Again just need to put the deposit down and will have a trial in october. I'm struggling with my hair. My hair is long and thin. It does straight very well 😂 Curls Soon fall out. But my hair is my security blanket and I have a very round face so don't like my hair completely off my face as I think it makes me look fat in the face and a bit manly, if I'm honest. ive been looking at half up half down styles but they look better with curls, and they will just fall out. Oh the pain lol. 

Oh gosh the hair thing you wrote is exactly like me!! My hair is so thin if I wear it up bits and bobs all come falling out! Im interested to have a trial and see what actually lasts! I also don't want it totally off my face for the same reasons! Im playing with some pretty plait ideas but I'll keep some bits down too - I figure a plait is a safe way to move my hair and keeping it there! Either that or fifty bottles of hairspray! 

1st attempt at dress shopping

So I'm super fussy and HATE shopping! Both myself and my mum knew the dress shopping was going to be painful. I didn't want to spend a lot on my dress and had my perfect dress in mind! I'm 6ft and a soze 10 so I really thought my perfect dress would be a long, flowing Grecian dress. I will put a pic below in a second. I didn't want a train, I wanted simple but with a bit of sparkle and this dress was it. 

My mum had booked an appointment at a shop in Clacton called beautiful brides. My mum actually got her wedding dress here, as did my sister. So if I found a dress here it would be nice as it seemed tradition for our family.  got there half hour early and they were free to get started. I showed the lovely lady, Jess, the above picture and she said they had similar styles. the dresses were all sectioned off in to different styles but she encouraged us to take dresses from each rail. The first dress I spot is basically identical to the picture above. I was thrilled to find it!!! Both me and mum rummaged around and got a selection of about 10 dresses together. Off behind the curtain me and Jess go. Now as I've mentioned, I'm very tall! Poor Jess was about a foot shorter than me and she told me to strip down to my underwater and put my heels on. Then there's the fun part of waiting for them to get the dress ready while you stand staring at the floor to ceiling mirror, looking at your mostly naked self and deciding the best part of the picture you're seeing is your Kurt Guiger sparkly shoes 😂 Then que the awkwardness of trying to bend backwards with my hands in the air so she could put the dress over me 😂 But we managed it. 

Dress 1

this was my dream Grecian dress. I put it on, walked out to my mum and LOVED it! Both me and mum are in shock as remember I'm fussy! But I loved it. We kept it aside and tried some more

Dress 2 and 3 

They were lovely dresses, but nothing like Dress 1. I'm getting excited by this stage as I couldn't believe the first dress I tried might be the one. 

Dress 4

this dress was similar the the Grecian style but the skirt was a little more structured. It had sparkles scattered all over and it was strapless. I loved it! Now I'm getting confused! I tell Jess to keep it aside in the maybe pile.

dress 5

wht the hell was my mum thinking! It was pretty on top, but soooo Many ruffles On the skirt!!!!! A huge no no! Looked awful but showed mum just to keep her happy! I took 2 steps out and she sent me straight back! No no no no noooo

dress 6,7,8

beautiful dresses. I liked them all, but now I'm in A-Line dresses with sweetheart neck. I liked 1 and put it in the maybe pile. My Grecian still in the back of my mind but now utterly confused! 

Now my mum appears at the curtain with another 5 dresses! I'm getting tired and I'm super confused! I look at the remaining 2 original dresses again and discard them! 

Dress 11

a beautiful strapless ball gown! The top was full solid sparkles! The dress was pure white and the skirt was huge! I come out from behind my curtain and my mum gasps and loves it!!! This was the proper princess dress and I felt nice in it. In the maybe like it goes. 

dress 12, 13 & 14

i can't remember them, so obviously not great lol

dress 15

oh my, the polar opposite to what I would of imagined picking up. But I tried it and in the maybe like it went. 

So so my maybe pile has 5 dresses in it. I discard 2 straight away, too plain, not as nice as the others

dress 1... Again, 

i still loved my Grecian dr

Nightspark wrote (see post):

Oh gosh the hair thing you wrote is exactly like me!! My hair is so thin if I wear it up bits and bobs all come falling out! Im interested to have a trial and see what actually lasts! I also don't want it totally off my face for the same reasons! Im playing with some pretty plait ideas but I'll keep some bits down too - I figure a plait is a safe way to move my hair and keeping it there! Either that or fifty bottles of hairspray! 

I saw your ideas on your posts. some of the waterfall braid ones i actually have saved on my phone too 😂 But I had that sort of style for my sisters wedding and it was dead straight again by the end of the day! So bloody annoying!!! 

Ohhhh nooooooo!!!! It's only posted half of it 😩😩😩

Continuing from where it cut off!!! Again!!! 

Dress 1... Again 

I still loved my Grecian dress, however. This time o started to move around in it and realised the sparkles on the straps were rubbing agains my arms. All day in a dress that scratches you!! No thank you. I looked in the mirror again and oh my god! My hips! As the dress was flowy (yes I think I've made that word up) it poked out on my lumpy bits! Nope I couldn't see past it. Get me out of this dress!!!! In shock I took it off and discarded it.... Gulp! 

Dress 11... Again 

it was beautiful. Fairly simple but very sparkly! Easy to move in but white.... Very very white!!! I know that sounds stupid but I kind of felt I would glow in the dark with it... I think I was looking for excuses as dress 15 was calling my name! I like this one.... Very very white! But it's nice. Let's try 15 again! 

dress 15

oh my! It takes my breath away. Mums welling up and I can't stop staring at it! it's huge on me, so I ask Jess to pin me in so I can move in it! She does a great job and off I go! It's beautiful! I love it!!! I want it!!!! I NEED it!!! I'm scared as its the polar opposite to what I ever imagined getting married in. But I cant.... Stop... looking at it! I look at mum, she's in love. weve been in the shop for 2 and a half hours and I have found my dress!!! 

Hope you guys like it!!!! 

I have pictures of it on my but they aren't very flattering 😂

Oh my!! 

(It's me again, im so sorry, I promise I'm not a stalker!! Haha)

the first dress is beautiful, and with your height and size I can also totally see how it would be your initial dress, it's not my style so wouldn't have chosen it myself, and it's not typical wedding either so you don't see many like that which is nice! It looks so delicate and pretty -  however BOoOM!! You know what that sound is? That's the sound of that dress being blown out of the water by your chosen dress! I actually love it! Great choice!!

but I really wanna see it on a real person, piiic!!  You said the same on mine so I'm thinking we need to do a trade and show me yours and I'll show you mine haha!

Wow. Gorgeous dress X 

Oh my!! 

the first dress is beautiful, and with your height and size I can also totally see how it would be your initial dress, it's not my style so wouldn't have chosen it myself, and it's not typical wedding either so you don't see many like that which is nice! It looks so delicate and pretty -  however BOoOM!! You know what that sound is? That's the sound of that dress being blown out of the water by your chosen dress! I actually love it! Great choice!!

but I really wanna see it on a real person, piiic!!  You said the same on mine so I'm thinking we need to do a trade and show me yours and I'll show you mine haha!

Haha!!!! Love the BOoOM! Proper made me giggle. Ok I will do a trade with you! I must add though I look awful as this was 2.5 hours in and my hair was pissing me off so I just tied it back in a mess. Oh! And there's the strap marks I have from our very brief bit of sun in this country! 😂 So please excuse the state of me 😂😂😂

i don't mind a stalker, I'm openly gonna be stalking yours now anyways 😂😂😂

FutureMrsThomas wrote (see post):

Wow. Gorgeous dress X 

Thank you very much ☺️

Dora3 wrote (see post):

Oh my!! 

Haha!!!! Love the BOoOM! Proper made me giggle. Ok I will do a trade with you! I must add though I look awful as this was 2.5 hours in and my hair was pissing me off so I just tied it back in a mess. Oh! And there's the strap marks I have from our very brief bit of sun in this country! 😂 So please excuse the state of me 😂😂😂

i don't mind a stalker, I'm openly gonna be stalking yours now anyways 😂😂😂

Pahahah ok, deal! I'll ignore the state you may be in if you do the same, plus I'm adding that you need to ignore my Tshirt tan!! I work outdoors all day in a tshirt so half of me is literally a different colour to the other haha working outside next year I'm going to have to wear a boob tube or a long sleeve top to stop that happening! 😂

So as I seem to have done a deal with Nightspark. Here's the dress on me. I must add, the first one I'm pulling the worst face ever! I have awful strap marks and my hair got thrown out the way. Look at the dress not me basically 😂😂😂 

The he back is a bit gathered here as was way too big for me as you can see with the pins in it 

Here you can see the sparkle mixed in with the lace design 

I will get new pics when I try it on in my size 😂

Yes!! This is beautiful! I absolutely love it! I truly would have gone for that myself if it were there! Suits you perfectly and is so pretty! I love that the details start full on top and trail off as it goes down, SO pretty! ☺️

Love the dress! X 

Thank you ladies! I'm in love with it. It's colour is called light gold and Ivory. It's like a dusty gold underlay with the Ivory laying on top. So different and think it will look great in my venue for the ceremony. However, unsure how realistic it is for a pub but sod it 😂 

Nightspark, that's something I was drawn to. How the lace just trails down. and you can't really see it in the picture but the lace has sparkles in it which goes down the dress too so it really catches in the light.

I was silent most the drive home as i was so shocked id found a dress and it was so different. I also forgot to mention the price tag. It as an eye watering £1500. And in the pics I don't have my heels on so we've got to pay an extra £75 to have it in the longer length 😂 Oh the joys of being a giraffe 😂

Dora3 wrote (see post):

Thank you ladies! I'm in love with it. It's colour is called light gold and Ivory. It's like a dusty gold underlay with the Ivory laying on top. So different and think it will look great in my venue for the ceremony. However, unsure how realistic it is for a pub but sod it 😂 

Nightspark, that's something I was drawn to. How the lace just trails down. and you can't really see it in the picture but the lace has sparkles in it which goes down the dress too so it really catches in the light.

I was silent most the drive home as i was so shocked id found a dress and it was so different. I also forgot to mention the price tag. It as an eye watering £1500. And in the pics I don't have my heels on so we've got to pay an extra £75 to have it in the longer length 😂 Oh the joys of being a giraffe 😂

mine has little sparkles too! pic's certainly don't do sparkly things justice! its beautiful, any giraffe would be lucky to own such a beauty 😂😉

😂 now I'm picturing an actual giraffe in that dress 😂 youre cracking me up Hun!!! Lol. 

Yeah the pics deff don't pick up on sparkly things. But it's such a lovely touch on the dresses. Just gives them that little extra special touch. And makes us girls feel like sparkly little princesses. Glad you like it though. Had my doubts after as was so different but I'm so in love with it and can't wait to try it on again!!! Xxx 

Flowers 

now im stuck! I love sweetpeas so really wanted them for my wedding. While we were in Cornwall my mum brought me a bunch which proved to us they were available at the time of year our wedding will be.

something like this 

However, after talking to a few florists, it appears sweetpea are hard to get in May so I needed plan b. 

I have to add this in. I emailed one lady and this is our conversation 

As it says, im a huge animal lover, especially horses so this just made me giggle. Bless her. 

Plan B.... Gerbras! I love them. Giant Daisies I call them. So I'm looking at something like this. 

New problem.... They aren't very good as button holes or corsages 😩

As the flowers were annoying me im going to come back to them And move on for now. 

Save the dates

our original idea was to use the beach message as our save the dates. But the pictures we got weren't good enough so we soon moved on. We googled all night and finally found one we both loved. As we've been engaged for quite some time it seemed very fitting... 

Simple but just perfect for us. We got them from vistaprint and they were very good value for money! I hate that they have my full name on them as I never use it. But its got to be official right, plus my mum hates me being called Steph so it was just easier or a quiet life  😂 

I should also add! dont make the same mistake as me! I ordered DOUBLE the amount I needed as I counted people and not couples 😂 So I've now got plenty of spares 😂 Can't complain though, they cost £25 for 40 including postage 👍

as we are getting married in Cornwall we needed to give our guests as much info as possible. so we sent an info pack out with our save the dates which layer out our plans and also gave them some websites to check out for hotels, b&bs and cottages to rent. It's up to our guests if they want to come for a few days or make a holiday out of it.

we are arriving in Porthleven on the Saturday and getting married on the Tuesday. We decided Tuesday as it gave everyone a chance to get there, but also gave everyone some time after the wedding to have a bit of a holiday themselves. I will post the "plans" a bit later on. Currently watching my two cats have a crazy half hour and it's far too distracting to type anymore 😂

Oh flowers are oh so pretty! I love the giant Daisy's! But I see what you mean about them not making great coursages or buttonholes hmmmmm!  in terms of the other flowers being hard to get in May, would you consider artificial? I guess that's a compromise if you did have your heart set on them.... And I hear a lot of artificial look very real nowerdays, you wouldn't get the beautiful smell tho, I toyed with artificial V real for SO long! Real won in the end though... 

Love the save the dates! We got ours from vistaprint (the magnet type!) and nearly went for that style ourselves due to a long engagement also! Great minds!

I saw your save the dates and they are perfect as magnets!!! Great choice there!!! We decided on them as they are fairly simple, just like us (yes huge sparkly wedding dress) but we are simple! 😂

I did actually toy with artificial. But you just can't beat the real deal. As you said, the smell alone adds alot to them so I'm going for real and sticking with my giant Daisy's but just need to work something in to them that works as button holes and corsages 😂 

Am I the only one thinking men get it easy here 😂