I Don't Know What I'm Doing

• Great thread! Great to see another Liverpool bride! We are getting married in the concert room also, on July 17 this year! We love it! Our reception is at Hope Street Hotel.

Can I ask, does your family friend do flowers for anyone? We are debating whether or not to even bother. We aren't decorating the concert room because I like it as it is, but thinking about tables for the meal. They seem so expensive for a couple of hours. Anyway, if they are available for quotes, I would love to get in touch.

• Liverbride wrote (see post):

Great thread! Great to see another Liverpool bride! We are getting married in the concert room also, on July 17 this year! We love it! Our reception is at Hope Street Hotel.

Can I ask, does your family friend do flowers for anyone? We are debating whether or not to even bother. We aren't decorating the concert room because I like it as it is, but thinking about tables for the meal. They seem so expensive for a couple of hours. Anyway, if they are available for quotes, I would love to get in touch.

Oh I can't wait to see your pictures! You'll have to give me all the details when you're back on planet earth after your wedding!

Yes she's available for anyone! I agree the concert hall is beautiful as is, it really doesn't need anything. I think I'm just going to have a floral arrangement on the table at the front, then we can take that for the top table at the reception too. Her website is www.charliesflowerboutique.co.uk if you want to have a look 

• Fabulous! Thank you so much for the link. The flowers look great. We will have a chat about budget etc and perhaps call her.

I am happy to share tips/plans with you as we go along, and also to let you know how it all runs on the day.

I will happily share photos also :-)

It is so exciting, but I still feel there is loads to do. We have a photographer, DJ and the venues but I don't have a dress, he hasn't got a suit and we aren't sure about wedding cars.

We have almost got the invitations all done - we made them ourselves, with a lovely old drawing of St George's Hall on the front. It is like a minefield though, isn't it? You don't want to leave anyone out, but there are limits on numbers!

Fabulous! Thank you so much for the link. The flowers look great. We will have a chat about budget etc and perhaps call her.

I am happy to share tips/plans with you as we go along, and also to let you know how it all runs on the day.

I will happily share photos also :-)

It is so exciting, but I still feel there is loads to do. We have a photographer, DJ and the venues but I don't have a dress, he hasn't got a suit and we aren't sure about wedding cars.

We have almost got the invitations all done - we made them ourselves, with a lovely old drawing of St George's Hall on the front. It is like a minefield though, isn't it? You don't want to leave anyone out, but there are limits on numbers!

You haven't got long to go now at all! Have you been dress shopping? My mum keeps badgering me to go but I'm deffo not ready yet!

Are you staying in town the night before? I'll be staying in the hotel so I don't think I'm going to have a car. My mums cousin owns the Beatles Tour Hackney cab so I might just ask him! M will have a car though as he's coming from the house, at the moment he's talking about having a batmobile. I'm keeping out of it!

• I haven't been dress shopping yet, but I think I know what I want...it is the Cressida dress by Phase Eight. I have seen the actual dress and I really like the material because it is light. Also, with it being shorter, it will be good for the dancing in the evening.

Yes, we are staying the night before. We live in London at the moment, so plan is to get back up to Liverpool and relax. We are also staying the night of the wedding and the following night, so we dont have to rush around.

Beatles tour cab sounds great! I live everything Beatles-related...my mum has even written to Paul McCartney to invite him to drop into the wedding if he's in town lol! I am also walking down the aisle to one of his songs, Calico Skies. Have you chosen your music and readings yet?

We will prob just get regular cabs because the special cars cost a bomb, and it's only a few minutes down the road.

It doesn't seem real yet, to be honest. We only got engaged in September, so we moved really fast to book the venue!

I haven't been dress shopping yet, but I think I know what I want...it is the Cressida dress by Phase Eight. I have seen the actual dress and I really like the material because it is light. Also, with it being shorter, it will be good for the dancing in the evening.

Yes, we are staying the night before. We live in London at the moment, so plan is to get back up to Liverpool and relax. We are also staying the night of the wedding and the following night, so we dont have to rush around.

Beatles tour cab sounds great! I live everything Beatles-related...my mum has even written to Paul McCartney to invite him to drop into the wedding if he's in town lol! I am also walking down the aisle to one of his songs, Calico Skies. Have you chosen your music and readings yet?

We will prob just get regular cabs because the special cars cost a bomb, and it's only a few minutes down the road.

It doesn't seem real yet, to be honest. We only got engaged in September, so we moved really fast to book the venue!

Wow that is fast! And that dress is gorgeous, i didn't even think of looking at Phase Eight for wedding dresses, some nice ones there! 

So far i've picked my in and out songs for the ceremony but thats it. We're using the grand piano on the stage and I think I'm having 'You Got The Love' for the entrance, and 'Mr Brightside' for the exit. They sound really good on the piano i promise! There will deffo be some Beatles in there too, maybe 'In My Life'. No readings chosen yet. 

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

Im really interested in your thread, I cant wait to see how it turns out because we also were having atlantic tower before we cancelled and I didnt really do any research, just allowed h2b to book it 😂 But I have an aquintance who went to a wedding there and she raved about it and said everything was amazing.

Did you make a decision on the chairs? And did you use red events?

I spoke to the lady there and was going to have chair covers with hoods instead of bows, tied with flowers.

• MrsJohnstonToBe wrote (see post):

Im really interested in your thread, I cant wait to see how it turns out because we also were having atlantic tower before we cancelled and I didnt really do any research, just allowed h2b to book it 😂 But I have an aquintance who went to a wedding there and she raved about it and said everything was amazing.

Did you make a decision on the chairs? And did you use red events?

I spoke to the lady there and was going to have chair covers with hoods instead of bows, tied with flowers.

Yes I remember you saying you were having there before you cancelled. And I remember you mentioning about it being fantastic until you had to deal with red events, which is the main reason I am currently looking for my own band and DJ! 

I have asked if we can hire our own chairs and it is allowed. I found some plain ghost chairs (those clear plastic ones) for £3 each to hire. It works out about 20p more expensive than chair covers, which seems odd to me! But if it is the case, then I imagine we'll be hiring them! 

We'd been to countless reception venues before visiting the atlantic (some of which were £10k before you even start talking about a welcome drink) but there was always something I didn't quite like about them. As soon as we walked into the restaurant in the Atlantic, M turned to me and said 'I love this one' Granted, it's not much to look at from the outside, and it's not your 5* hotel chain, but the room is a perfect layout, it's close to the ceremony, there's no bar attached that will have your Saturday night curly blows falling all over the latest z list 'reality star' (yes Hilton, I'm referring to you) and that window and terrace view is something else! Plus it's almost half the price of some of the ones we'd seen! im happy! 

Yeah the view is just amazing isnt it! We went and visited a couple of times and even on gloomy days the room was so bright and airy with all them windows.

h2b was impressed to learn that michael jackson stayed there as well 😂

I love those clear plastic chairs, theyll look amazing if you get them.

• Photographer Pt 2

As mentioned earlier, myself and M were having a hard time deciding on a photographer. I trawled through website after website of other people's wedding albums (do you need anything more than a camera to call yourself a wedding photographr these days?) none particularly stood out for me. I contacted a couple on the recommendations of others, neither of whom got back to me, so they were out. 

Disheartened, we went back through the initial 2 portfolio's of the photographer's we'd met. The more i looked at the first one, the more i went off it. The photo's are no doubtedly amazing, very dramatic and striking, but very... staged. I pictured myself posing for those photo's and my toes curled! So i looked again at Herve's, and pictured myself in those photos. Herve's style was a lot more natural, capturing moments rather than setting up the shot. There were 2 pictures that i loved (below) and as we'd already met (and got on famously) we sealed the deal (so to speak...)

Turns out bridesmaid A knows someone who used Herve last summer and they were delighted with him and his pictures. Bonus! 

imageimage

• Photographer Pt 3

So photographer is still all booked, contract signed deposit paid. Turns out he's only just gone and won an international wedding photography award! image

I'm glad we've got him all sorted already cause that's got price increase written all over it! 😂 (I'm a cynical cow) 

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 3,953 New bride

Cynical but not wrong- our photographer won an award a couple of months ago and they have gone up £300 for their all day package since! Glad we booked them ages ago.

• NikkiMNikkiM Posts: 1,653 New bride

That picture in the forest is beautiful! I'd love a shot like that in my living room. Shame I'm getting married in the countryside amongst the lambs!

• Timings

So i've laid off planning for the time being, mainly because i'm so busy at work, but also because i've still got 18 months to go.

I've been thinking a bit about timinigs recently and instead of continuing to hijack another thread (sorry MrsJ...) i thought i'd ask my million and one questions here. 

Our ceremony isn't until 3, so I assume people will have had lunch. After the ceremony there will be a cash bar in the entrance hall so we're having canapes there. These are the only 2 photo's i can find of the entrance hall, and they certainly don't do it justice. (Seriously, if you're ever in Liverpool you should really go see this building, its actually amazing)  

inside St Georges Liverpool

St Georges Liverpool wedding photos

We'll leave everyone there whilst we go off for photos. Transport will take guests to the reception at 5 (will take 10 mins to get there) and have the welcome drink and we'll aim to sit down for food at 6. We're only going to have 2 courses though because it's late and the evening buffet will be getting put out by 9. (Evening guests to arrive from 8pm) 

I sound like I'm confident in that set up don't I? I'm not. Does that sound OK? Also, what 2 courses? I'm thinking the canapés can count as a starter so to just have main and dessert? If you were a guest would you think that was ok or would you wonder where your starter was!? I don't want people going into a food coma by 9pm! 

• I found more photo's of the North Hall. This is where guests will mingle when they arrive, and a cash bar and canapes will be available after the ceremony (which takes place upstairs)  

Image result for "st george's" "north hall"  

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 3,953 New bride

Your venue is bloody gorgeous!! I think your timings and food plan will work very well. I agree I'd go for a main and dessert, sounds perfect!

• Sammykate wrote (see post):

Your venue is bloody gorgeous!! I think your timings and food plan will work very well. I agree I'd go for a main and dessert, sounds perfect!

It is isn't it. I'm not even going to try and be humble about it! I don't know who i think i am to be honest...

• Kelly224Kelly224 Posts: 962 New bride

Looks amazing!!!  That will make for some awesome photos!!

Timings and food sound great! I would definitely go for main and dessert as well!

• Jenni8Jenni8 Posts: 3,201

I think the timings sound great.... and definitely have a main and dessert. If I were at a wedding and there was no starter I'd barely notice as we don't always have starter when we go out, yet if I didn't get a dessert I'd feel as if the meal wasn't finished!

• ShitGotRealShitGotReal Posts: 435 New bride

Transport

I've not been doing any wedding planning for a while now, but much like the flowers, the transport for both myself and bridesmaids has sort of taken care of itself.

M will be staying at our house the night before with the best men. On a Saturday afternoon it will take a good 30/40 minutes to get into town. We also live near a good number of my family so it makes sense, if we're getting transport anyway,to get it for everyone! So we'll be organising a wedding bus to pick everyone up at the bus stop at the top of our road (we live in a cul-de-sac so it'd never get out again!) The same bus can then be used to ferry everyone from the ceremony to the reception. 

I'll be staying in the hotel we are having the reception in the night before the wedding with my bridesmaids. This is only about 5/10 minutes away from the ceremony so i didn't see the point of paying for a wedding car for us. I was just going to have a black cab take us, but one my dad's oldest friends has one of The Beatles 'Fab Four Tour' cabs. He has very kindly offered to dress 'Penny Lane' (the taxi's name!) up for the day, take my bridesmaids first, then my dad and me to the ceremony. Afterwards, he will take M, our photographer and I for a few photo's and then onto the reception.   

It's something a bit different anyway!!  

Honeymoon

Ok, so we've been talking a little bit about the honeymoon recently. We're thinking about going to the Singapore Grand Prix for a few days and then onto Thailand.

Has anyone been to Thailand? Where would you recommend staying? We wont be travelling as such, id like to maybe only stay in 2 places for 5 days each with a few day trips maybe? Where is the most luxurious? The grand prix is in September so that's when we'd be going, but I've had mixed reviews about the weather in Thailand at this time of year. Thoughts? 

I'd really appreciate anyone's help on this! 

• MrsM2018MrsM2018 Posts: 142

Hi! Fellow 2018 bride here - loving your thread. I went to Thailand last November actually, which was still technically in the rainy season, and I absolutely loved it. I'd happily go again for our honeymoon if the Mr would have it!

We were there for about 10 days and went to Phuket, Koh Samui, Koh Pha Ngan and Bangkok. We stayed at The Old Phuket - Karon Beach Resort in Phuket. We were in one of the poolside rooms. The rooms and the grounds are huge and right behind the hotel, you have a lovely strip of shops and the beach across the road. Breakfast was great too - they even brought up cupcakes for my birthday. Being the socially anxious fool I am, I convinced them to sing to the Mr instead (his face was priceless). Phuket also means Bangla road (in Patong) and that was certainly an eye opener.

imageimageimage You can get massages right on the green.

In Samui, we spent a night at Prana Resort - they have the most relaxing check in process I have ever experienced. The rooms were lovely, breakfast was great and their villa accommodation is right across the road right on the beach. 

We also spent a few nights in a villa as Samui Boat Lagoon. The only things I can pick holes in are the mosquito bites (became a running joke for us) and the location. It's a little far out, but it has private pools, a kitchen (I believe they can provide BBQ equipment) and best of all, they helped us arrange takeaway deliveries when we were pooped after exploring the island all day. Samui is so tranquil and relaxing - with gems like these. We even managed to go snorkelling, kayaking and all sorts - and I can't swim to save my life! Being in paradise, I thought I could do anything!

imageimage

In Pha Ngan, we stayed at the Summer Luxury Beach Resort & Spa. It was massive and we didn't get to see it all. We had a poolside room right next to the beach and restaurant. They want you to be so relaxed, they bring a gold cart to transport you anywhere! It was incredibly peaceful. We stayed here for the half moon party (his idea) but it was cancelled due to the death of the King. This place more than made up for that.

imageimageimage

In Bangkok, we were at the Anantara Sathorn Bangkok hotel. All the hotels upgraded our rooms for free (my birthday and our engagement anniversary). This place took it to another level. They gave us a two bedroom, two bathroom apartment complete with balcony, massive kitchen, work area and living area with the comfiest corner sofa ever. My pictures are too large to attach (from trying to capture the massive room haha) but please google it if you're considering Bangkok.

Hope that's helpful :)  I'm itching to go back. I have friends who go every year and now I understand why. The people make this the friendliest place I've ever visited.

Thankyou Organised Bride! That is very helpful! if you could've only stayed in 2 places, what ones would you choose? And is it possible to do day trips to any of the others without actually staying there? 

Bridesmaid Dresses

So... on a complete whim i've just ordered bridesmaid dresses online, in a different colour to what i was planning on, to be delivered tomorrow. This should be interesting...

Lets see them then!

Well I was after plain grey maxi dresses, so i obviously bought yellow floral midi didn't I?

3 of the first one, 2 of the second...

image image

• MrsJamesMrsJames Posts: 406 New bride

Absolutely loving your thread! The venue's look absolutely stunning. 

Love the colours and the bridesmaid dresses look lovely. Can't wait to see how it all comes together for you :) 

Ooh yes, I like them! I actually saw them the other day and debated whether yellow was a good wintery colour 😂

Theyll be lovely though, so fresh and summery, hope they fit well.

• August18August18 Posts: 247

Love love your thread what a beautiful wedding you are planning. Your photographer looks amazing the venue is stunning love the bridesmaid choices and the mix of the two same but different dress... look forward to hearing more! X