I Don't Know What I'm Doing

• Thankyou! It is nice to know I have readers, it does feel like I'm talking to myself half the time but that's ok, nothing I'm not used to! 

Only joking  I'm writing as I think it'll be nice to be able to look back at once it's all over and back to filling my evenings with friends re-runs instead of say yes to the dress and don't tell the bride!

• DIY Continued...

Only a small update here. The decals finally arrived for my hangers. Happy with these 

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

Youve done loads, well done!

I had a very small flurry of activity and then ground to a halt again. Im a shit bride.

• MrsJ2017 wrote (see post):

Youve done loads, well done!

I had a very small flurry of activity and then ground to a halt again. Im a shit bride.

Ive not done any of the important stuff. I'm an event planner for a charity so by the time i get home the absolute last thing i want to do i plan anything. Most of the time i sit in my pyjamas playing candy crush. I've managed to book makeup still desperately need a hairdresser that doesn't consider a hair up to be 4 hours of backcombing and then piled on top of my skull. 

Next up is actually doing the invitations, i'm shit at the wording though so keep attempting to design them, then giving up. Oh to have a wedding planner...

• Miss-MrsMiss-Mrs Posts: 117

Hey,

Loving the thread and pictures. where did you get the iron on transfers and also the ones for the hangers?

I was looking at doing something similar.

xx

• I also really love your hangers, would also love to know your sources. They're very different from anything else I've seen - I love the grey!

• Hi both, 

Hangers are: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WHITE-GREY-WOODEN-HANGERS-COAT-SUIT-GARMENT-CLOTHES-WARDROBE-WOOD-HANGER-TROUSER/372079465889?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=640972966730&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I cant find where i got the others from  I just googled 'iron on transfers' and the hanger transfers are decals, they just stick on. I'll have a look again when i get home and update you if i can find any more info. 

• Shoes

So again this happened without intention. I originally wanted coloured shoes, either yellow to match the bridesmaids or navy to match the fellas suits, but after picking my dress i decided they wouldnt go. Anyway, I was out shopping for a new washing machine with my mum (great timing for my old one to pack in...) and we just happened to be in Kurt Geiger, you know, just in case they'd decided to branch out from shoes to kitchen appliances, and i saw these on display for £109.

It was the week before payday and i had a broken washing machine so i couldn't even consider buying shoes. Anyway, we went for a drink and as my mum was at the bar i was on my phone and came across an email from non other than Kurt Geiger for 20% off everything! I had a look online and the very same shoes were £39, with 20% off costing me a whopping £31.20. They're not really shoes i would normally buy but they're super comfy and an absolute bargain! 

imageimage

• Invitations

I've also had a proper go at our invitations. I'm happy with how they look on the computer, but i cant seem to get the printer to match the colours! Its driving me mad! This is the closest i've managed to get: 

imageimageimage

Ive got a HP Officejet and im printing PDF, the grey keeps coming out different shades to that on my computer. Does anyone have any idea if there's any specific settings i should be using!? 

• Laura812Laura812 Posts: 208 New bride

Printer colours will never match screen colours. You can play with the settings as much as you can but it's a pretty thankless task! I'd make a load of boxes with different greys in (on the right paper etc) and try and find the one closest/the one you hate the least and go with that.

I think you should just fiddle with plain prints of grey until youre happy, then screenshot the colour settings, and print the actual invite.

I just want to point out the spelling though, i think youve put "mecure" but its actually "mercure". I did exactly the same thing, only I didny notice until after Id printed all the invites out!

I think you should just fiddle with plain prints of grey until youre happy, then screenshot the colour settings, and print the actual invite.

I just want to point out the spelling though, i think youve put "mecure" but its actually "mercure". I did exactly the same thing, only I didny notice until after Id printed all the invites out!

Good spot! Its a good job you're here you know. 

• Honeymoon

I cant believe i haven't mentioned my honeymoon yet! We've booked 75% of it now. After umming and ahhing over where we were going to go for ages, we finally decided! We originally wanted to go to Singapore for the Grand Prix in September, followed by somewhere beachy. The Singapore Grand Prix has been a bucket list item for a while now and especially after doing both Monaco and Abu Dhabi Grand Prix's! 

I've always wanted to do a water villa in Bora Bora because it looks absolutely unreal. Unfortunately places where the over water villas are, like Bora Bora and Maldives etc, were both too far from Singapore and weather unreliable. We then looked at Thailand, but again the weather this time of year was not guaranteed. Anyway, my brother's wife is Indonesian and they have recently been on a 3 week holiday visiting her family. One of their stops was at Bali and it looked beautiful, plus its only a couple of hours flight from Singapore, so we've gone with there! 

So fr we've booked our direct flights from Manchester to Singapore, spending 3 nights at the W on Sentosa Island (where Universal Studios is)

then the following 2 nights in a club room at the Marina Bay Sands for Grand Prix weekend. This cost an absolute arm and a leg but i dont care. Look at that rooftop pool! My brother has given us quite a bit of money to put towards out honeymoon so this is thanks to him! 

imageimage

We then fly to Bali on the Monday until Saturday. We've not chosen these hotels yet though. I would like to spend Mon - Thurs in a hotel or small villa in Seminyak or an area around there, then the final 2 nights in a nice villa with private pool and sea view in or around Nusa Dua. M isnt so keen on moving hotels when we get to Bali but i thought it'd be nice to end the honeymoon in luxury, but we couldnt afford to do luxury for the full week! We dont want to travel the island or anything, which is why i thought those 2 areas would be ideal as theyre not far from each other. 

If anyone's been to Bali i'd be happy to hear your recommendations. 

oh mu god that pool looks terrifying! Such a good design and its probably not as scary in person but that photo 😱 Is it an infinity pool?

Bali sounds amazing, we dont know where were going, P wants to go skiing but Im not feeling the love.

oh mu god that pool looks terrifying! Such a good design and its probably not as scary in person but that photo 😱 Is it an infinity pool?

Bali sounds amazing, we dont know where were going, P wants to go skiing but Im not feeling the love.

haha! it looks a lot scarier than it is. It is an infinity pool, but there's a big ledge that goes all the way around underneath. You cant see it from the pool unless you look over though. 

imageimage

I do fancy skiing, but not for honeymoon. Requires far too much effort and exercise! 

• Hen Do(s)

Ive got 2 hen do's booked. My maids got in touch with me last week to say we have a weekend in Belfast all booked and paid for at the end of April. Ive never been before, and all of my maids plus a couple of close friends are coming. It's early but works out quite well as ive got another one booked in June! 

In June im having a weekend in Majorca with my aunties, female cousins and brother! I'll explain a little here... on my mums side i have 5 aunties and 1 uncle. We're all really close and get together at any given opportunity. My aunties all go away once a year for a long weekend, and about 7 years ago some of the female cousins started tagging along too. For one reason or another this hasnt really happened for the last few years, but me and my brother have been having a weekend in Majorca instead. When we were there in June this year we were talking about trying to get everyone to go again next year. He said we can make it a hen-do and that way people would be more inclined to go. This went a little better than planned and there are now 17 of us booked into a beachfront hotel for a long weekend next June! I'm more excited for this than anything else! 

I'll also be doing a cheap and cheerful meal somewhere local closer to the wedding for anyone and everyone who wishes to come. I'll be milking it as much as possible! 

• MrsS85MrsS85 Posts: 688 New bride

Ah both your hen do's sound lovely, its nice your wedding has restarted the family trip too.

• MrsS85 wrote (see post):

Ah both your hen do's sound lovely, its nice your wedding has restarted the family trip too.

Fingers crossed! Not many families would be happy to spend 4 days in Ibiza with their mum and aunties but we loved it! 

• So as we near the 6 month mark you'd think it was all systems go with regards to planning, but in reality i haven't done a great deal for months. In fact, I'm probably in a worse position now than i was 3 months ago! 

Firstly, as a few of you will remember my rant on the subject, my MUA cancelled on me before Christmas. Id had her booked and deposit paid since September and she suddenly realised 3 months later that she'd double booked me. I'm the first to admit i'm cynical, but my take on the reality is that she's had a better offer as she's recently started doing the makeup for an online clothing company. So back to square one there. 

Secondly, my diet has gone to pot. Well that's putting it lightly to be honest. It was my birthday the beginning of December and then with Christmas and New Year i've lived on a diet of chocolate, crisps, spiced rum and baileys. I don't know the true extent of the damage yet, but i do have an apple and pack of mixed melon chunks on my desk so im well on the road to recovery... *sarcastic face

I did get a voucher for a course of facials for christmas though, so if nothing else my fat makeup-less face will be glowing! 

• PottyPotty Posts: 527 New bride

I feel your pain! It’s 8 months today for me, and I’ve got a to do list longer than my bloody leg!!!! 

Married September 2018, Baby due October 2019.  
  • MrsM2018MrsM2018 Posts: 142

If it makes you feel any better, my wedding is four months away (technically less than that but I can't face the reality yet) and all I've done since August is book our honeymoon, and only just (today) sent out the invites. 

P.S your honeymoon sounds/looks amazing! 

• Thanks MrsM, i think im more excited for the honeymoon! 

So, progress... Ive managed to sort another makeup artist, and my invitations are now all done and ready to post. I still need a hairdresser that can do a hairup without making me look like an extra on Dallas, and a pianist that plays more than just Ed Sheeran (Have i mentioned how much i hate Ed Sheeran yet?)

Net on my list is accessories. I need a veil and a comb/headpiece of some sort. I have bought a cheap veil from ebay and i honestly cant see anything wrong with it! Certainly not a £150 price difference from the one in the shop anyway. I'm going to take it with me for my first fitting and see what they say. Due to the style of my dress id like my hair up. Something soft, low and loose (like the below pictures) with an accessory. Can anyone recommend any websites or shops for bridal hair accessories? I've tried etsy and the likes but everything is either really blingy or really expensive. My dress has opals as opposed to bling so i'm a bit restricted with that. 

I've only seen this one, which is nice, but id like a few more options really! Suggestions welcome...

• INVITATIONS ARE FINALLY FUCKING FINISHED!

They've taken me a lot longer than planned, mainly cause i could never be arsed to sit and do them, but my invitations are finally done. They've probably not ended up saving me any money, but i did enjoy designing them, and i like that they're personal. Plus i kept adding little touches, like a personalised initials sticker on the closing of the envelope, cause that's exactly what the wedding fund is there for *rolls eyes*

Anyway, time sit back and wait for people to not bother to RSVP now!  

image image

Ahhh such a relief once those little bitches are finished isn’t it! I felt a bit sick when it came to sending them though, like I was going to be judged, and that actual people were going to come to my actual wedding, crazy.

They look really good, well done 

Ahhh such a relief once those little bitches are finished isn’t it! I felt a bit sick when it came to sending them though, like I was going to be judged, and that actual people were going to come to my actual wedding, crazy.

They look really good, well done 

I hadn't even thought about that bit. Vomit. 

First, your invites look gorgeous, well worth the effort x

Second, thank God it wasn't just me to feel that way. I still freak out with every RSVPs we receive... it makes it a little too real.

• Invitations sent today. It' took a week to pluck up the courage to take them the post box! 

Also, table names done ✅

• Rings

We went ring shopping in town about a month ago, just to get an idea. My engagement ring is the Tiffany Harmony, and this is the wedding band to go with it: 

Don't get me wrong, it's lovely, but then i'd expect it to be at £2,000! I looked online and found lots of similar styles for half the price, so, as nice as it would be to have the matching set, i decided to look elsewhere and maybe park this one for an anniversary present somewhere down the line! 

The first shop we went to was Beaverbrooks. The lady was lovely, we were sat down and made a cuppa whilst discussing the styles we liked. I said that i wanted platinum to match my engagement ring and M showed her a couple he liked so she went off and brought us a selection. We both saw a ring each that we really liked but as it was only the first shop we said that we'd come back. She gave me a card with the details on and said that there was an extra discount starting on sale items the next weekend. 

We then had a look in David M Robinson, Ernest Jones, Warren James, H Samuel and Goldsmiths. Basically all the jewellery shops in town, I didn't really see any others that i liked as much, but M was liking loads! We didn't look at metal or price when browsing, but as it turned out, all of the ones he liked were made of titanium (because they were more of a matte brushed metal than shiney) and they were all under £100! Bargain! 

We were now in no rush to get M's as he can buy a titanium ring and take home that day, so we decided to go back to Beaverbrooks at the weekend to order my ring. It was £998 marked down from £1300 in the sale and with the extra 20% it was down to £799. We ordered and went back 2 weeks later to pick it up. I've just checked the website and it's now back up to £1300 so deffo bought at the right time! 

image image

It's now in its box and stored in my mums for safekeeping! 

• Suits

We've not managed to get the best men and ushers together to go suit shopping, so I roped one of them, along with M and his dad into Next one Saturday to try on a few styles. All of them were very different heights and builds so i thought if we found a suit that looked good on all of them, we were on to a winner. They tried on a grand total of 1 suit before deciding on this: 

If that was me, id have continued to try on every other suit in Next, and 4 other shops, before going back and finally committing to the first one. I would have KILLED them.

We sent the other lads the details of the suit with strict orders to go into their nearest Next within the next couple of days and send us their sizes. Two weeks later we finally got a reply of M's brother (there's always one) and the suits were ordered. It's not as bright blue as it looks in that picture, and it'll be teamed with a grey tie and pocket square and a yellow buttonhole.