Forum home Your planning threads

I Don't Know What I'm Doing

• DandelionBlueDandelionBlue Posts: 1,451 New bride

Just read through your entire thread. Not all too long now. 

I really like your colour theme. The view from your venue is incredible

And wow you look fabulous in that dress.

How did the RSVPs come along? Is everyone being well behaved?

I'm currently thinking about my gift boxes. If you don't mind r asking, what did the value of them come to?

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,957 New bride

Wow amazing gift boxes!

• ShitGotRealShitGotReal Posts: 435 New bride

Ah thank you for your lovely comments ladies! I was beginning to think I was talking to myself again!

DandelionBlue, I gave quite a long window for RSVP's and thankfully most people have played along! There are one or two we have to chase up but I definitely expected worse!

My gift Boxes probably cost around £60 per person for everything including the boxes and personalisation. I'm not doing gifts on the day though so this is their thank-you. I'm going to add a small bottle of bubbles in each along with a handwritten card to make it a bit more personal too. 

• Mrs AyseMrs Ayse Posts: 561

Hey! Your gift boxes are looking soooo good, well done you and what a huge amount of effort you’ve gone too. I’m sure they’ll be very touched. 

Not long to go 🙌 x

Mrs Ayse wrote (see post):

Hey! Your gift boxes are looking soooo good, well done you and what a huge amount of effort you’ve gone too. I’m sure they’ll be very touched. 

Not long to go 🙌 x

Ah thank you, I am very pleased with them so hopefully! X

• Kelly224Kelly224 Posts: 962 New bride

Love the gift boxes, they look fabulous!  Sounds like you are very organised.

Drama

Despite a slight nagging feeling that I really should be doing something at least remotely wedding planning related, I've been very laid back about everything up to now. As you may remember, way back at the start of this thread, my bridesmaid dresses were the first things i bought. It was a very simple process, ordered a load online in various sizes and sent back the ones that didnt fit. Job Done. 

Or so i thought. 

One of my bridesmaids had not long had a baby when she tried hers on so hers was ordered purposefully too small (risky!) and one was massively pregnant so was unable to even get it on. I got them round a couple of months ago to try them on and J's (the one that was pregnant) fits fine, and A's (the one that ordered hers a couple of sizes too small because she wanted to shift her baby weight) was now too big and needs to be taken in! 

You'd think these were the 2 i should've been concerned about, but to keep me on my toes, my sister (K) has put weight on and her dress is now at least 2 sizes too small. She's known it hasnt fit for a couple of months now, and she was insistent that she was going to get back down to what she was when i bought it. She tried it on again yesterday and it's actually further away from fitting than it was before. The dresses are no longer on sale, and it cant be made bigger so i had to tell her there was no plan B. She needs to loose at least 3 inches from her waist for it to fit and she's got less than 2 months. I've tried to give her hints and tips, but her problem is that she's still in denial and making excuses. I don't mean to sound patronising here, but as anyone that's tried to lose weight knows, the first step is being honest to yourself. I've been there myself, eating biscuits in the kitchen cause if no one sees then it doesn't count, eating an extra slice of pizza because i'll start again tomorrow' etc... 

I was a bit harsher about it yesterday than i was before, not because i was angry, but because the gentle sugarcoating  (probably not the best turn of phrase here) approach obviously didn't work. Be cruel to be kind and all that. There were tears. We've arranged to meet again in 3 weeks and see how she's got on. 

My issue now, is that if the dress doesn't fit, what do i do? Someone suggested i get her a dress in a similar colour, but i really don't want her to be in a different dress to any of the other girls. I've been checking ebay and the likes to see if one comes up but no luck so far.

• I really don't think she's going to be able to lose that amount of weight in such a short space of time (unless she crash diets) and I doubt that the stress is going to help, unless she loses weight from the stress! Maybe just say that you won't be able to buy a new one if it doesn't fit so she'll have to get her own, and be flexible so it doesn't need to be the exact same dress?

How is your sister doing SGR?

Your dress is featured on tbe Maggie Sottero Instagram page today on a 'real bride' btw - recognised it straight away as it's so distinctive!

• Ali217Ali217 Posts: 62

I’ve just binged your entire thread and loved it! I love your colours, you look stunning in your dress and you sound about as laid back as me! 

I hope the dress situation gets resolved, even if it means she isn’t going to match anymore.

Ah thanks MrsCtoBee, i love seeing on real brides to see how they've styled it, but finding them are few and far between! 

Thanks Ali, still feeling very laid back with only 6 weeks to go. Im sure the shit will hit the fan soon enough! 

No update on the sister yet, apparently she's gotten into a pair of jeans that haven't fit her in a while so we'll see,,,

Hen Do 2: Majorca

I got back from my 2nd hen do on Wednesday after 6 days on the Isle of Majorca. This time i was with my mum, aunties, cousins... and brother! Im very close to my family and my brother and I have a long weekend in Majorca every year (he lives in London and im in Liverpool so we don't see each other all the time) He's unofficially 'Usher of Honour' so it made sense that he was there too! I didn't really have any idea of plans, just that it was to be a laid back affair. 7 of us arrived early Friday morning, with the remaining 5 joining us later that evening. 

Friday: Hotel check in, poolside drinks, beachside dinner, drinks and jenga, 3am fully clothed pool dip:

image image

Saturday: Pool Day, Capt. Jack Sparrow does Palma

Sunday: Beach Picnic, White Party and Karaoke:

image image image

The itinerary was organised by my brother, with my mum adding some personalised touches such as letters from my dad, my auntie who couldn't be there and M, which were read out to me at the beach on Sunday. 

All the girls went home Monday night, but i stayed until Wednesday with my brother to recover! It was SUCH a good holiday, and we're all already talking about going back again next year! 

Dress Fitting:

In what wasn't the cleverest of planning, i had booked in for my dress fitting the day after getting back from Majorca. There had been copious amount of food eaten, and i dread to even think how much alcohol, so i wasn't looking forward to squeezing into my dress! 

I took along my shoes to try with the hem now taken up, and my new dried flower headpiece. I had originally bought an opal hair comb to wear, but i saw this on asos in the sale and loved it. It is much more me than a blingy hair comb too! Luckily enough, the dress wasn't too tight. All the dancing and walking over the weekend must've cancelled out some of the alcohol consumption! I'd still like to lose a couple of lbs so it's more comfortable though. There's still some adjustments to be made (mostly around the boobs ) so i'm next booked in for 12th July which gives me 3 weeks to lose the Majorca belly.

image image

• Kelly224Kelly224 Posts: 962 New bride

Wow!  You look stunning in your dress!

Your Majorca trip looks so much fun - very jealous!!

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,136 New bride

Your dress is divine on you! It’s so unique and you have an amazing figure which it just suits perfectly. Love the hair flowers too! 

Ah thanks Kelly and Ashley, I'll get a big head at this rate! 

• Sian91Sian91 Posts: 829 New bride

You look incredible and glad you enjoyed your hen- it looked ace!

Sian91 wrote (see post):

You look incredible and glad you enjoyed your hen- it looked ace!

It really was, id have some serious holiday blues now if i didnt have so much to keep me occupied! 

Wow you look stunning, and your veil is beautiful - can I ask which brand it is?

Menu Tasting

These updates should (hopefully) start coming thick and fast now, with plenty to do over the next few weeks. Honestly, it seemed like a couple of weeks ago that we set a date, those 20 months have gone absolutely nowhere 

Yesterday we went for our menu tasting. It was a gorgeous sunny day and as we got there early, we had a drink on the terrace taking in the view first: 

We're only having a 2 course menu as we're having canapes after the ceremony, and as there's only an hour between them and the meal i didn't feel a starter was necessary. M had chosen to try the chicken, and me the pork but shared both meals. 

Prosciutto wrapped chicken breast, mushroom and tarragon sauce.

Honey Roast loin of pork, sea salt crackling, sage & onion stuffing, apple sauce.

image image

Both were delicious, but id never normally opt for pork and the mushroom sauce on the chicken was amazing. 

Desert options, M chose apple crumble, i chose eton mess:

Individual apple, pear and walnut crumble, vanilla custard.

Rhubarb & custard eton mess

image image

I don't like apple crumble so i cant comment on the taste of that, but im assured by M that it was very good. The eton mess was delicious, but the rhubarb felt very heavy and i couldn't help but think berries would be more summery. I mentioned this to the host and...

So there we have it! Chicken breast and mushroom sauce, with raspberry eton mess to finish. Even M has opted for the Eton Mess after being told he could have different to everyone else if he wanted, it was much more refreshing and light than a crumble, plus who wants hot custard on a summers day!? (here's hoping...) I was a bit worried choosing only 2 courses, but i'm so glad we did now as we were both so full afterwards. Any more food and everyone would fall straight into a food coma! 

MrsCToBee wrote (see post):

Wow you look stunning, and your veil is beautiful - can I ask which brand it is?

Thanks Mrs Cee! Honestly? it was £20 off ebay! I couldn't justify £200 odd just for a piece of material that ill wear a couple of hours. When i took it to the shop the lady actually commented on how soft it was. It it a little long though so i am having it cut a bit shorter. 

ShitGotReal wrote (see post):

Thanks Mrs Cee! Honestly? it was £20 off ebay! I couldn't justify £200 odd just for a piece of material that ill wear a couple of hours. When i took it to the shop the lady actually commented on how soft it was. It it a little long though so i am having it cut a bit shorter. 

Could I be cheeky and ask for a link? There are so many on eBay/Amazon but yours looks like the really soft tulle I am looking for! Sorry to be a pain.

ShitGotReal wrote (see post):

Could I be cheeky and ask for a link? There are so many on eBay/Amazon but yours looks like the really soft tulle I am looking for! Sorry to be a pain.

I cant find the veil in my history for some reason, but i'm pretty sure this was the seller: 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/the-bridal-discount-store/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Thanks so much!

• Sian91Sian91 Posts: 829 New bride

Your food looks so good! I’m an absolute custard fiend but think the mess will be delicious on a (fingers crossed) sunny day! 

Hair Trial

Yesterday was my hair trial. I wasn't dead set on what i wanted, just that i wanted my hair up and not overly 'done' I have a LOT of hair and usually whenever i've had it put up before i look like im auditioning for a dynasty remake. 

I went armed with some inspo, my flower headpiece and a clean head of naturally dried BIG hair. Inspo:

We discussed a couple of options and timings etc, and she set to work. After only about 40 minutes i was done: 

image image

She initially only done a plait one side, but i felt the other side looked a bit odd so we decided to do 2. I think im going to ask for a couple of loose bits out at the back a it's still a little too 'done' but all in all im really happy with it. Unfortunately i couldn't leave it in to see how it lasted as i was going straight home and didn't want M to see it, but i am still pulling clips out my hair 12 hours later so it had enough support! 

• SO glad I found your thread.

I have seen we have commented on some posts and same as a lot of others LOVE your user name.

The hair is stunning and I have just shown my sister and now she wants this as BM for my wedding!!

Cant wait for update xx

• MrsGtoBMrsGtoB Posts: 712 New bride

You've been busy!! Hen do looks fab and you can not tell you'd had a busy one in the dress it looked amazing.

Absolutely love your hair, I have the same styles pinned for mine x

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,136 New bride

Ooh love your hair! I want something similar for my bridesmaids (I look like an egg head with my hair up otherwise I'd want it like this myself!). Your whole look is dreamy!

Ah thanks ladies. A couple of my bridesmaids suggested not having the flowers, but i love it! It's amazing the confidence boost a few strangers on the internet can give!