#mrandmrsBAMF - 1st June 2019

Hi everyone!

I took inspiration from some of your lovely planning threads and thought I'd join in the fun. I hope this keeps you entertained, and I think it'll be a good way for me to keep a record of all the plans we make!

How we met

All great love stories start somewhere, and for Mr BAMF and I that somewhere was a site called Faceparty. Before I carry on, I'm pretty sure that my parents still don't know this is how we met... I was 16/17 at the time and as far as they were concerned, the internet was full of weirdos! If they do know, they've never let on, and if anyone asks, we met through mutual friends... Haha! Anyway, I got a private message from Mr BAMF saying he really liked my profile picture and hoped I didn't mind, but he'd added me on MSN Messenger (ah, the good ol' days!) as he wanted to talk to me and get to know me. I was very happy - he wasn't bad looking himself 

We spoke to each other for about a month before we met in person, but things didn't quite end as hoped and we both met other people. We stayed in touch as friends and spoke from time to time, until about 3 months later when I got a message from him saying that he couldn't stop thinking about me and had even had dreams about seeing me again. I think I replied with something along the lines of "That's nice, have you told your girlfriend?" to which he replied "Yes, I have and that's why she's now my ex-girlfriend". In all honesty, Mr BAMF had never been far from my thoughts and my "fling" (if you can even call it that) had fizzled out after about 3 weeks, so this made me very excited at the prospect of what could happen.

We arranged to meet up again with the help of my best friend (and now MOH) at a local pub, and the rest is history!

• MrsBAMFMrsBAMF Posts: 217 New bride

The proposal 

For a very long time, Mr BAMF's attitude to getting engaged was "One day, just not today!" and oh, how that would wind me up! He always used to say that after we'd lived together for 12-18 months, then we'd get engaged, so when I moved in with him after 6 years together, I definitely thought we were getting somewhere.

Then he changed his mind and said after we'd lived together in a house we both owned for 12-18 months, then it'd be the right time. By this time, I'd given up trying to work out what he was playing at and was convinced it just wasn't going to happen. Every holiday we went on, my work friends would ask "Do you think he'll propose?" and I would always laugh and say "Not a chance!".

We finally got our house in January last year and with all our energies going into decorating, all thoughts of a proposal were pushed way way way back in my mind. We booked a holiday to California for August, with plans to visit Disneyland (we're both massive kids at heart and LOVE Disney) and see all the sights. My first "alarm bell" happened when we sadly lost our baby niece. We went to visit her and I remember him asking me which of my rings that I wear every day fit me best. All I could think was "Why are you asking me that now?" and put it down to him not knowing what to say under the circumstances. Then on the day of her funeral, one of the diamonds in the band he bought me as a 1st anniversary present went missing and I joked that it was a sign from her that he needed to buy me a new one and he laughed and said "Maybe she's right!". I punched him in the arm and said "Ha, ok, whatever!"

Fast forward to the 2nd night of our California trip, and we were walking around the shops in Downtown Disney and had a falling out over something daft. Really daft. He wasn't paying attention to an eyebrow pencil I was showing him. I walked off in a strop to find some food, he followed me and we sat sulking eating sandwiches. He looked really upset and was holding his head in his hands, so we made up and put it down to being hangry and jetlagged!

The next day was our first visit to Disneyland and we were both so excited! The thought had crossed my mind that he'd propose when we first saw the castle, but we just took some photos and carried on walking without any commotion, so I brushed it aside. We went on a few rides, queued to meet Minnie Mouse (as you do!) and then stopped to get a drink when Mr BAMF said "Shall we go back to the castle and have some proper photos done with the official photographers?" All I could think was "Why do you want to pay for something we've already done for free", but went along with it anyway. As we got closer he said something about not wanting to have our bags on the photo, so I threw my bag at the photographer's feet and walked to position myself for the photo.

When I turned around, Mr BAMF was whispering something in the photographer's ear. I was starting to get very, very suspicious and before I knew it, he was in front of me, down on one knee!!!

"I know our castle isn't as big as this one, but to me, you will always be a princess..." Well,  that was it - I was crying, hyperventilating and all I could say was "Are you for real?! Are you joking?!". People around us were clapping and cheering, and one voice shouted out "She better say yes!", but at that point, I hadn't been asked anything! Mr BAMF was laughing through nerves and was trying to get me to calm down (I am an ugly crier - Kim Kardashian's got nothing on me!) then he finally took a ring box out of his pocket with a beautiful ring that he'd chosen himself inside and asked "Will you marry me?". Obvs, I said yes! The photos are hilarious, I'm a crying mess in sequinned Minnie Mouse ears, but it's a memory I'll treasure forever!

• Ambam19Ambam19 Posts: 578 New bride

N'aww that's sweet! why do they keep us waiting so long eh?! Xx

The venue

As much as we would both love to go back to Disney (Florida or California) and get married there, I have a pretty big family who I want to be able to celebrate with us, so it's out of the question 

Neither of us are regular church goers now, but we've both always liked the idea of getting married in a church. I went to church until I was around 21, but that church isn't quite the vision I had in my mind for a wedding. I was christened there and my parents got married there, so Dad wasn't too happy when I said I wanted to get married elsewhere (he hasn't been exactly enthusiastic about the whole process if I'm being honest!), but he's had his wedding!

The only other church we have "ties" to is the church that Mr BAMF went to when he was younger, St Luke's, Endon. His sister got married there, and that's where our niece's funeral was held, so we thought it would be fitting if we got married there too. The vicar, Alan, is really friendly, and he did a game of Pointless for the congregation in the Christmas Eve service we went to! I wonder if he'll do one for the wedding...

As for the reception venue, we wanted somewhere fairly modern, not a million miles away from where we live in Stoke and with on-site accommodation. Mr BAMF is big on organisation, so he drew up a spreadsheet of local venues for us to make a shortlist of, and we were quickly able to narrow it down to 4. They were Sandhole Oak BarnDeVere Wychwood ParkSlater's Country Inn and Aston Marina.

Sandhole was the first venue we went to view. It had been recommended to us by my parents as they'd been to a wedding there and thought it was beautiful. I tried to stop myself getting overexcited at the first viewing, but that was a hard task. It was a sunny, wintery day when we visited and it was just so beautiful, but I was determined not to set my heart on the first venue! Mr BAMF liked it too, and the only detractor for us was the cost, as it was the most expensive of the 4.

Wychwood was next up. My cousin got married there in 2008, and it was a lovely wedding so we wanted to see if much had changed. Because we're having more people at the reception than my cousin had, the Club House they used wasn't an option for us and while the venue was nice, it reminded us of business conference rooms, which isn't the vibe we want for our wedding.

The day we viewed Slater's was very grey and wet, so not the best time to view it. I'd fallen in love with the "Wedding House" they have there as it was like something from a Disney movie. If we hadn't been having a church wedding, having a civil ceremony in there would have been fab. Unfortunately, the reception room felt too small for us, so that was off the list.

Finally, we viewed Aston Marina. We really liked the look of the room, and it was definitely big enough for the hordes of people who will inevitably turn up. The only downside was no on-site accommodation.

We thought long and hard over Christmas, before going back to Sandhole with Mr BAMF's parents (mine were on holiday in sunny Gran Canaria) for an open day. It was just as lovely as I'd remembered, and the parents agreed that this would be the perfect place for our reception.

With wanting a summer wedding on a Saturday, all the 2018 dates were already gone, but we were happy to choose a 2019 date to give us more time to plan (and save!). I turn 30 in 2019 and I'd always thought that I'd be married by the time I'm 30, so we looked at the end of May and beginning of June, before we settled on 1st June 2019 (which means I'll be married for 58 days before I turn 30, haha!)

P.S Can you tell I'm a talker? Haha!

Ambam19 wrote (see post):

N'aww that's sweet! why do they keep us waiting so long eh?! Xx

Haha! I know! It's a flipping good job he's worth it xXx

• K8-30K8-30 Posts: 13

What a beautiful proposal! I'm loving reading about your wedding! Xx

K8-30 wrote (see post):

What a beautiful proposal! I'm loving reading about your wedding! Xx

Thanks K8! I'm a real waffler, so this thread could end up a million posts long  

xXx

• MrsLMTMrsLMT Posts: 3,830

Aww, I love your proposal! You do know we need to see these photos of you ugly crying right? Lol. X 

FutureMrsThomas wrote (see post):

Aww, I love your proposal! You do know we need to see these photos of you ugly crying right? Lol. X 

Thank you! They're all on Mr BAMF's laptop so if I can find them, I'll put one on. Funnily enough, not all of them made it to Facebook  no idea why... haha xXx

• JoanneSJoanneS Posts: 41

I'm so excited to read all your plans and see how we both go having the same dates 
    Would love to see the proposal picture!

JoanneS wrote (see post):

I'm so excited to read all your plans and see how we both go having the same dates 
    Would love to see the proposal picture!

Thanks Joanne! Same here, have you got a planning thread? Would love to have a look if so!

I'll look for the photos over the weekend and post some, please try not to laugh too much!!!

xXx

Did you manage to dig the pictures out? Still want to see them!

No planning thread as of yet. I've actually amazed myself with how restrained I've been since booking the venue; that's the only thing I've got confirmed so far! Once the registrar is booked I'll be planning constantly, but I'm so scared to book/plan things now in case we have to change the date, I'm such a worrier/pessimist and always think of the worst!

I still need to transfer them from Mr BAMF's laptop, but they will be on here at some point, promise promise promise!

xXx

You asked, I delivered! Haha! Do I look surprised enough?

xXx

• LittlespiceLittlespice Posts: 665

What a lovely pic! Who did he get to take it?

Littlespice wrote (see post):

What a lovely pic! Who did he get to take it?

Thank you! It was the official Disney PhotoPass photographer, Mr BAMF tipped him off as I was waiting to have my photo taken!

xXx

• wed172Bwed172B Posts: 1,258

Love you pics, my other half proposed in front of the castle at Florida and we have some similar photos from the photographer who was there, i wasnt quite so shocked though as i cottoned on just before he asked as we were there with all his family and there was some shuffling about and his hand was behind his back lol! brings it all bakc though, 1 year engaged yesterday!

wed172B wrote (see post):

Love you pics, my other half proposed in front of the castle at Florida and we have some similar photos from the photographer who was there, i wasnt quite so shocked though as i cottoned on just before he asked as we were there with all his family and there was some shuffling about and his hand was behind his back lol! brings it all bakc though, 1 year engaged yesterday!

Thank you! Ahh, that's ace! Happy Engagement-iversary  When I find a memory stick, I'm going to copy all the photos over so you can all have a good giggle at my swollen, red nose!

xXx

MrsBAMF wrote (see post):

xXx

I love it! You look so shocked! That's a great picture :)

JoanneS wrote (see post):
    MrsBAMF wrote (see post):

xXx

I love it! You look so shocked! That's a great picture :)

Thanks Joanne. This was the picture that Mr BAMF chose to post to Facebook to announce it too... I'll let him off as he captioned it "Happiest day of my life!" 

xXx

As much as I am itching to post other updates, 1 I haven't really got any and 2 I'm currently in the throes of organising my Mum's surprise 60th birthday party with my Dad for the end of next month! I am hoping and praying that organising a wedding over the course of the next two years will be less stressful than this  

I mentioned in a separate thread, Dad is very much a "last minute Larry" type of person, whereas I am really not! I've been working very hard to try and keep him in check since the end of last year. We had a planning meeting at mine last night and worked out that Dad has invited almost 160 people to the party; the room holds 120 at its very maximum capacity and he was only planning to cater for 80  I've told him that the second I hear that the cling film's been taken off the buffet food, I'm making a run for it - no-one comes between me and food, I'm like Joey from Friends at best, and the lady who's doing the buffet makes amazing food too! The cheeky so-and-so also told me not to tell any more people - I don't think I've been the source of that little issue, daddy dear!

Anyway, he's now given me another list of things that I need to sort out - just a small matter of balloons, table decorations, the cake, banners and other room decorations. Oh, and making fake tickets to a St George's Day party at the party venue. Did I mention I'll be decorating the room on the day as well as going about my usual party preparations (hair, make-up, feeding myself, breathing...)?

On top of this, Mum has taken it upon herself to task me with organising an afternoon tea for 6 of us, also for her birthday. If only she knew what we're up to...

Fingers crossed I still have all my hair left by the time her birthday rolls around!

xXx

• MrsTheaUMrsTheaU Posts: 126

Just read your story - Ahh how beautiful! Good old MSN days, its been a while since I seen that word, it brings back memories. I have always wanted to go to Disney, true child at heart. My OH said we will wait until babies come along so I guess I will live through them lol. The picture lived up to what you explained, love the Mini Mouse ears. Definitely a memory to treasure forever!

Hope all goes with for your moms birthday preparations, you can do it!! Love the venue choice, can't wait to read more xx  

• Mrs BAMF! I love that you got engaged at Disney!

I am a Disney-fiend but my OH isn't - I tried to persuade him to go for our honeymoon, but that didn't work. I will win though haha - we will go someday!!

Can't wait to hear more about your plans..

MrsTheaU wrote (see post):

Just read your story - Ahh how beautiful! Good old MSN days, its been a while since I seen that word, it brings back memories. I have always wanted to go to Disney, true child at heart. My OH said we will wait until babies come along so I guess I will live through them lol. The picture lived up to what you explained, love the Mini Mouse ears. Definitely a memory to treasure forever!

Hope all goes with for your moms birthday preparations, you can do it!! Love the venue choice, can't wait to read more xx  

Ahh, thank you MrsTheaU! Disney is definitely one of our favourite places! You will love it if you go! Still keeping my fingers crossed for Mum's party - someone's told her that the venue "isn't having a St George's party, it's been cancelled for a private 60th birthday party"  Luckily, she just thinks my dad's got the day wrong, she hasn't twigged that it's for her... I hope!

xXx

FutureMrsEllis wrote (see post):

Mrs BAMF! I love that you got engaged at Disney!

I am a Disney-fiend but my OH isn't - I tried to persuade him to go for our honeymoon, but that didn't work. I will win though haha - we will go someday!!

Can't wait to hear more about your plans..

Thank you so much FutureMrsEllis! Disney means even more to me now than before (if that's possible!).

Just keep dropping hints - it really isn't all just for kids haha!

xXx

• SpacepuffinSpacepuffin Posts: 664

I love this! You look super-surprised. Great job by the man-shape. 

I think this is going to be another addictive planning thread! X

Spacepuffin wrote (see post):

I love this! You look super-surprised. Great job by the man-shape. 

I think this is going to be another addictive planning thread! X

N'aww, thanks Spacepuffin! I definitely was surprised! Haha!

xXx

We have a photographer!!!

Ooh, I'm ever so excited!

Work is pretty quiet at the moment, so I seem to be spending a bit of time looking at all things weddings to keep me busy. Mr BAMF and I put a post on Facebook a few weeks ago asking our friends if they had any recommendations for photographers and we were pleasantly surprised by just how many people replied! I spent a few days looking through them and comparing packages and prices (and Mr BAMF made a new spreadsheet, which made him very happy), when I remembered speaking to a former work colleague of mine who used to do wedding photography herself.

I thought I'd seen a post from her a while ago saying she was no longer doing photography as she'd found a permanent job, but I thought I'd message her on the off chance that I'd dreamed the whole thing up. She told me she wasn't doing photography any more, but she did recommend another photographer called Adrian Chell and said to mention her when I spoke to him.

So, while I was going through all the other recommendations, I decided to have a look at his website and noticed an old neighbour of ours on the photos from his daughter's wedding! I loved looking through all the galleries on his website (to be honest, I could look at wedding photos all day!), and his price was the best I'd seen. I showed Mr BAMF and after going back through his trusty spreadsheet, he agreed that Adrian seemed to be the best choice for us.

I arranged to go to a local wedding fair on Sunday afternoon with Mum, MOH and future MIL, and woke up to a post on Adrian's Facebook page on Sunday morning saying that he would be there! I pretty much made a beeline for his stand, introduced myself and dropped our mutual friend's recommendation in for good measure. I must have stood talking to him and looking at all the albums he had for a good 20 minutes, and everyone else loved his photos too - MOH even said "Oh wow, you're very good at what you do!". I told him I had a feeling I'd be in touch with him soon and carried on looking at the other stands.

Mr BAMF was more than happy with what I told him about the album styles and the other photos I'd seen while I was there, so I messaged Adrian on Sunday night to see if he was available and he confirmed yesterday morning that he is  We have our first meeting with him on Friday afternoon and have to pay 25% of the fee upon booking, which is no problem at all - in fact, I paid it this morning!

If anyone's interested, his website is http://www.adrianchell.com/

xXx

• Mrs17Mrs17 Posts: 775 New bride

Every time your thread comes up on the feed, I have a minor panic attack, as your wedding date will be our 2 year (WTF?!) anniversary - good choice of date! 

I LOVE the photo of your engagement - you look so surprised/overwhelmed!!

Wibble2017 wrote (see post):

Every time your thread comes up on the feed, I have a minor panic attack, as your wedding date will be our 2 year (WTF?!) anniversary - good choice of date! 

I LOVE the photo of your engagement - you look so surprised/overwhelmed!!

Haha! Sorry Wibble  it is a good date choice though, isn't it!

Thank you very much - I definitely was a mix of both! Things like that don't tend to happen to people like me!

xXx

While I remember...

We also have a DJ!!!

I was hoping to hold off on booking this one until after Mum's birthday, but when we posted on Facebook about photographer recommendations, a friend of ours who's done the disco for all the family parties for the last couple of years commented "Got your disco sorted yet?".

I recommend him to all my friends as he's a lovely bloke, easy to work with and plays some absolutely brilliant stuff - I hardly leave the dancefloor when he's the DJ! Because I've recommended him so much, he said he's going to give us a fair discount to say thank you - god knows how much that will be, as he only charges £100 - £120 anyway! Because we know him (and he trusts us), we probably won't have to pay him until a few weeks before either, so it's a win-win situation!

All I need to do now is convince McFly to make an appearance at the reception and that will do me 

xXx