β€Ί

Blush pink, dog friendly, vegan garden wedding in the Lake District

My fiancé and I got engaged up helm crag in February. It was a lovely surprise, and he even got on one knee with Grasmere as the backdrop 😍. The whole walk was then filled with wedding talk and laughter. And I kept thinking 'all these people walking by have no clue what just happened '!

that same week we went to view our venue at lake Windermere. We chose this as it is dog friendly, has beautiful gardens, looks like a mini castle, and the views are to die for. 

So far I have put deposits down on lots of things such as entertainment, photographer, hair and makeup, chair cover, but I've yet to choose my dress and bridesmaids dresses.  

Im going to loose a bit of weight first then go at the end of june, im too excited!! Blush pink is my colour. Going to have a rustic style cake with flowers. 

How far in advance did you try your dress and how did you know it was 'the one '??

Β«13

• Blush2018Blush2018 Posts: 247 New bride

im in love with the look of this dress 😍

• Miaow8690Miaow8690 Posts: 298

Ooh your wedding sounds so much fun!!

Miaow8690 wrote (see post):

Ooh your wedding sounds so much fun!!

thank you 😊 

The engagement ring

The venue

in love with my venue. ❀️❀️ And it's right by the lake πŸ’¦

My wedding dress

😍 morilee 5471

Im new to writing my wedding plan info on here, but I'm excited to share with you all details as I go along, and look forward to sharing ideas with you!

The shoes

rainbow club

imageimage

I've just realised that everybody else has written a bit about how they met their h2b, and I have missed this from the start of the thread; so here goes:

How we met: (cheesy post alert!!)

Back in 2009 I was working part time in an office, and I decided to become a member of bar staff at a pub 15 mins away to earn more money.  After several months of working there, one evening I noticed a particularly good looking chap at the bar.  Every time he walked past, I would get a nervous feeling in my stomach, and as corny as it sounds became breathless ha ha! Now I had not had this feeling with any other guy I had seen/met.

Anyway, after a week or so, he would join me on my breaks for a chat (how lucky was I?!). One evening I returned home late after a long shift, and I checked my facebook messages.......would you believe it, sat in the inbox was a message from HIM! He was asking me out on a date, and I just couldn't believe that the guy who made my stomach do somersalts was actually interested in me.

After doing a little dance of excitement, I replied and said yes. A week later we met in a lovely pub for some drinks, and we got on like a house on fire....there were never any awkward silences or any silences for that matter. We moved on and went dancing.....the evening flew by, and ended with our first kiss.

We then went on more dates over the weeks, and as they say the rest is history.  I am now a canine carer at a well known dog charity, and a dog training assistant, while h2b is a gardener by trade, and an aspiring dog photographer.  There are 6 years between us, and we have now lived together for 7 years. 

The proposal

It was February 2017, and we were heading up to the top of Helm Crag, Grasmere (our favourite place), and he made some comment about there being too many people on the walk, to which i replied, 'well yes, this is a popular walk', and cue lots of tutting from h2b ......a bit further up, he said 'I want to tell you something'....and no sooner had he said this, he then said 'oh wait a minute.....don't look!'.....over to the right hand side was a bloody carcass of a sheep....a bit ironic with me being vegan and all......I of course looked (human nature ). He then ushered me on.....a minute further up he said 'go and stand over there' pointing to the edge of an outcrop overlooking grasmere lake and surrounding fells.  I just thought he wanted a photo with me in, so I firstly looked out towards the view, and then he asked me to turn around.  As I turned around, he got down onto one knee and produced a ring box from out of his coat pocket and opened it, asking me to marry him.  I was astonished!  My dog just stood there looking up at us as if to say 'what are you both doing?', bless her.....and then h2b started to cry lol.....I hadn't even seen the ring properly yet, and he hadn't even put it on my finger.....so I said....'oh crap!  Yes of course I will marry you....go on then put it on my finger' ha ha.

The rest of the journey was then filled with lots of laughing about his and mine reaction, and phone calls to family and close friends, It was lovely.  Oh and I forgot to mention that it was also my birthday...so it was the best birthday ever!!  He later explained that he had wanted to propose at the top, but didn't want to do it in front of an audience, which is why he asked me half way up.

I felt on cloud 9 the whole day and following week too.....he has made me really happy

• EpiphanyEpiphany Posts: 718

Gorgeous venue! :)

Epiphany wrote (see post):

Gorgeous venue! :)

Thank you :-)

Bridesmaid Dresses

I ordered a long blush pink dress for my 2 bridesmaids to try on from Coast, but it was too short (want floor length), so i've booked us in for two bridal shops a week on Thursday! I'm as excited as i was when i went wedding dress shopping.

Hopefully we will find the dress for them both. Will keep you updated!

• SadieeeSadieee Posts: 1,781 New bride

Lovely story and beautiful ring! :) I have never attended a vegan wedding (actually dont think ive attended a vegan anything! lol) Will it just be the food or is it influencing any other aspects as well? Does it make your planning harder? Bet the wedding meal will be so intertesting! (Sorry so many questions, feel free to ignore! I just find it interesting lol :))

Hi Sadieee, ask away! It will be the food, and I've made sure my dress isn't silk, and my shoes are not made from leather. My cake is going to be made by the in-house cake designer using sponge and vegan buttercream (which tastes the same as normal buttercream). I've also chosen a make up artist that uses Illamasqua, which is cruelty free:-)

I've not yet chosen the menu, as I want it to be the type of food that everybody is used to eating and not totally 'ou there' e.g. pasta, and apple crumble dessert, but I want it to be special at the same time and not just something you'd order at a normal restaurant, so I'm just keeping my eyes peeled for ideas.  I want it to be very tasty so that guests come away saying 'actually that was really good'.

So far I've not found planning difficult, but it's just the thought of deciding upon a decent menu that makes me feel a little anxious :-)

Do you have a planning thread?

It's so good that there are other options open to everyone now! Someone I know is very passionate about cruelty free make-up and has been able to find a good MUA who shares this passion, she was worried about that but now is looking forward to it!

I suppose when you live everyday as a vegan (or anything similar I guess) you get used to making these choices and know where to look for the right things :)

How do you make vegan buttercream? I struggle to make normal buttercream that turns out ok, maybe i'd have better luck with a vegan version? Haha :D

When it comes to menu's I find you cant go wrong if chocolate is involved ;) haha dark/plain chocolate is vegan I believe? Or have I just made that up in my head? lol

I do have one :) it's at www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/your-planning-threads/tis-the-season-to-be-married---dec-2018/441203.html

• Ali217Ali217 Posts: 62

Just caught up on your thread!

Everything so far looks beautiful and yay for vegan weddings! :)

It's just made using dairy free butter....tastes good. And yes most dark chocolate is vegan :-)

Just read your thread, loving your colour theme of blue and gold.

Ali217 wrote (see post):

Aw thanks Ali! I am rather excited :-D

Is yours a vegan wedding?

• Ali217Ali217 Posts: 62
    Blush2018 wrote (see post):
    Ali217 wrote (see post):

Aw thanks Ali! I am rather excited :-D

Is yours a vegan wedding?

Yes it is, we've just booked our venue so I'm not that far into planning yet but looking forward to seeing how it all pans out.

Ooh how exciting! Keep us updated with your planning

Blush2018 wrote (see post):

It's just made using dairy free butter....tastes good. And yes most dark chocolate is vegan :-)

Just read your thread, loving your colour theme of blue and gold.

ive ordered my bridesmaids dresses....eek!

theyre actually from the same place my dress is from and I've attached a photo.

theyre blush pink with an ivory lace overlay on the top half, so complement my dress.

luckily both bridesmaids love the dress and it looks lovely on them 😍

• Wibs77Wibs77 Posts: 414

Congratulations. Both your dress and the bridesmaids dresses are gorgeous 

• ruthie1979ruthie1979 Posts: 794

WOW - I love yours and your bridesmaid dresses - happy planning xxx

• Anna211Anna211 Posts: 4

I'll be sharing a very special set of images on Love My Dress from Claire very soon that I know you’ll find beautifully inspiring.

The picnic was arranged by mutual friends. Dan proposed to me on March 20th 2015 in our front room just after we had moved into together and just after I’d returned home from my annual girl’s ski trip to Chamonix. We were engaged just over a year before the wedding day.

• H2b has found his suit for the wedding and also the usher's suits. Cannot wait to see him on the day looking all dapper and handsome!

Save the dates still have not been sent with 7 months to go!! Waiting on a family member to  finalise them.

I can't decide whether or not to buy some petal confetti for the day (£150!) or just to leave it.

• Following 😊 love your dress! x

• New to this wrote (see post):

Following 😊 love your dress! x

Thank you ☺️

• Honeymoon 

.....has now been booked to Parga for 10 nights From 1st July. Got £100 off on the black Friday sale, wooo!

weve booked a 4* boutique spa hotel in the hills overlooking the sea. We adore Greece, and the scenery is what we love, as well as mediteranian food! 

imageimage

• Wedding suit

• MrsS85MrsS85 Posts: 688 New bride

Your honeymoon sounds lovely and relaxing, Also your husbands suit is very smart - very classic style.

• We had our food tasting session and the food was AMAZING!! A big weight off our shoulders now.

Photos below (forgot to take them of the main!!)

imageimageimageimageimage

• I had my first dress fitting yesterday, and although I love my dress I dont feel my best in it....so I am going to lose some weight and tone my arms.

I’m really conscious of the bump you can see on my stomach πŸ˜–

imageimageimageimage

Β«13