A wedding in the Gower

• Light up letters

Hmmm I've not really given these much thought, as much as I like them and think they make an awesome dance floor prop I'd decided they were overpriced for what they were and were super popular at the moment.

But then I saw these floral ones and now I really want them! I don't know whether they're a waste of money or not... I'm also worried people will just think ah yeah seen those at several weddings before... At the moment D is saying I have to choose between these or the fairy lights for the ceiling, how are they comparable?! I'm sure I can change his mind!

• Flowers-opinions please! 

the last 48hrs have been completely consumed with flowers.

I have put together one of our centrepieces using the new foam ball rather than the brick to go on top of the vase, 6bridesmaid bouquet, my bride’s bouquet, 7 large groomsmen buttonholes and (so far) 60 guest buttonholes (will be providing a buttonhole for all daytime guests) 

I’d really like your honest opinions on these if possible, im pleased with how they’ve turned out but I’m just worried they look home-made/cheap.

Id also love your opinion on the lace ribbon, I want a long ribbon coming from the bouquet, I have the girls in blush dresses with ivory ribbon (the ribbon is currently way too long, will cut to knee length when I see them) and myself with a blush ribbon....do you think this will be too much with the dress? Should I stick with ivory for all of us? 

Like this: image

I was also going to attach a small length of the same ribbon to the buttonholes so they match but I have since seen these buttonhole charms and think it might be too much to have them both? 

Bouquet charms: image

Anyway, here’s some pics, please let me know what you think! 

• I really like the idea of you having lace ribbon the colour of your bridesmaids and them of your ivory, I think it ties you all in together that way! 

But at the end of the day, it needs to be what you will be most happy with when looking back! Your bouquets are gorgeous by the way... if you’d have told me they were real flowers, I would have absolutely believed you! 

• britbirdbritbird Posts: 1,471 New bride

I think they look great- you have done a really good job  

• Kelly224Kelly224 Posts: 962 New bride

They look amazing! I’d be very proud of those if I were you! 

• MrsLMTMrsLMT Posts: 3,830

Flowers look beautiful x 

• Thankyou everyone! I think I was overthinking it and spent too much time with them...I’m gonna put them away now and stop fiddling with them! Just got a few buttonholes left to do when I can make it back to country baskets and then to add on the charms when they arrive!

in regards to the lace ribbon... I really love the different colour ribbon but I’m going to take my bouquet to my first dress fitting to make sure it’s not too bright/it doesn’t change the look of the dress. 

• Sian91Sian91 Posts: 829 New bride

I'm glad you enjoyed your tasting- the chocolate and almond mousse sounds amazing. 

The flowers look great, I really like the ribbons- I've not seen them before with a lace style ribbons before. 

• Thanks Sian91! I told D that I’ll be thinking about the choc mousse during the ceremony..he wasn’t impressed! 

I haven’t really either- I actually bought the ribbon for my personalised hangers but I loved it and thought it would be a waste so decided it could be tied in a bow around the bouquets...then I saw the long ribbons and thought they were so pretty! 

I need to get some new ribbon now for the hangers! 

• Veil-Blossom and Bluebird 

I’ve been emailing Sian from blossom and bluebird for a couple of months now...the big debate was whether to to go for the extra wide “beauty” chapel length veil or the medium. 

The extra wide would give such a full dramatic look and would cover my shoulders perfectly during the ceremony, the medium is lighter and more floaty and would be perfect (fingers crossed wirh the weather!!!) for beach/cliff pictures floating around...I’m also keen to have it going straight down my back to show off the lace/dress during the reception and id really like to keep it on all day if possible! 

Sian was brilliant and in the end I’ve gone with the medium but will wear it slightly higher on my head/in my hair so that it’ll fall over my shoulders during the ceremony! Can’t wait for it to arrive!! Should be here on the 31st apparently! 

• Personalised Hangers

Don't think I've posted these on here... I'm still waiting to find some nice ribbon to tie a bow at the top but I'm pleased with them!! The hangers were from home bargains and I think were £8 for 18.

The stickers I ordered from Etsy.. I ended up making them for all the bridal party, all bridesmaids, parents, groomsmen. I think these worked out 80p each making the whole hanger around £1.25 each!

•  

Rings!!!!!

We went shopping yesterday, I'm going to Amsterdam next week so just wanted a couple of warm jumpers etc to take with me, as we got into town, D was moaning that he was hungry so we went to greggs to get a sausage, bean and cheese pasty (obv you needed to know that) and whilst we were eating them we walked past the jewellers... I saw MY ring in the window and it was in the sale! It was exactly what I wanted so I ate my pasty at lightning speed and ran in to see it, I loved it straight away,,, they didn't have my size in the stockroom (I have chunky fingers so this didn't surprise me!) but the lady checked the window and the one I'd seen was exactly my size!

D also started to look, they had lovely white gold bands but he'd been advised against this due to it not being hard wearing.. he saw a  tungsten ring in the window (apparently this is the perfect metal for bullets and missiles which D thought was cool) To tell the truth, I really didn't like the ring he picked at first and made him try others on but he loved it and it does suit him/ looks really masculine, I really warmed to it after a while... it's SO heavy! I told him it would feel like a reminder of the weight of the marriage around his finger! They happened to have his size (again in the window display!) so we walked away with both of our wedding rings before heading off to primark...classy!!

• Oh wow just caught up on your planning thread. LOVE your flowers and rings and all your mood boards. Your food looked and sounds delicious.

And you are SOOOO organised and your list scared me!!! 

Please can I ask if you have the ebay sellers name for the robes as they are exactly what I want xx

Can't wait to read more xx

• Buttonhole/Bouquet charms

We've been umming and arring about which charms to go for.. until I remembered what a small part of the day it is and just to order some so I can finish the bloody flowers!

So we've chosen these:

image I've ordered 2 of each of these packs, they're a bit of fun and hopefully get guests talking about what they've got on their buttonhole- will be random, not chosen beforehand.

image( this might not be the clearest but they say "May you always have a shell in your pocket and sand between your toes") These will be attached to the front of all the girls' bouquets (inc my own)

• Hi Ruthie1979! Funny you should mention mood boards! I was just about to update them haha. The ebay seller is cn-2660 I'd really recommend, they're great for what I wanted.. but bare in mind I think you'd definitely need to wear shorts underneath!

• Georgina74 wrote (see post):

Hi Ruthie1979! Funny you should mention mood boards! I was just about to update them haha. The ebay seller is cn-2660 I'd really recommend, they're great for what I wanted.. but bare in mind I think you'd definitely need to wear shorts underneath!

Oh thank you for the quick reply - I will have a nosy now. I was going to order some short PJs too (or have a look in the supermarkets in the next few months xx

• Wedding Transport

I've been putting this off for ages (along with hair and makeup but thats for another day) I don't even really know why, I'm just not that bothered. Originally we weren't meant to have any transport as we were all supposed to be getting ready at the venue... but then the venue put a stop to that as nobody can have access before 11am so myself, mum and BMs are staying in a cottage 10mins away.

D and the rest of the family are staying  in a hotel in swansea centre, they will drive they're own cars to the venue.

Now... my dilemma... my Dad will be getting ready in Swansea and then driving to the cottage to collect me, we're going to need transport from here but I'm coming up blank... I'm really not into wasting money on boring/traditional wedding cars... its not me and were not really car people.. (D still drives the same car he passed his test with at 17- a trusty blue fiat panda )  also nobody will see me arrive and were not going anywhere after the ceremony so it's a waste of money.

So these are my options... some weird and wacky, some expensive.. some cheap.. I don't know what to go for!!!

Option A) image A tuk tuk! this is an expensive option at £400 but I love the idea. Obviously with the wedding on the beach it'll make for great photos afterwards, and its a little nod to our proposal which was in Thailand.

Option B) image VW campervan.. now I'm pretty sure everybody is expecting me to arrive in one of these. Apparently I mentioned this when I was 12 or something and it's stuck.. also getting married on the beach kind of ties in etc but I'm just not keen, don't even know why... had a quote for £295 but the man did say there was room for negotiating since it is a weekday wedding and we'd not really be going anywhere/using fuel.

Option C) imageLuxury car hire... my Dad is a driver and hates nothing more than being a passenger... this is definitely his preffered mode of transport haha

Option D) Stick to our cars! Just take our own cars down to the venue and skip out the car photos etc.... were having an ice cream van for the drinks reception and were hoping to get a few posed pictures with that! A bit like this:

image image the beach has a jetty going right into the sea (for vehicles with boats) so were lucky enough to park the ice cream van right on the beach!

What do you think I should go for? I really can't decide!

• Readings

We've asked Ds sister C to do a reading.. I do feel a bit guilty about not asking her to be BM as we are close.. but I've got 6 already, inc her daughter A who's our mini bridesmaid. So thought it'd be nice to involve her by doing a reading... I've left it up to her to decide on the reading, she said she's going to give it a go to write her own but if not she's seen some that are nice. I'm not worried at all, very excited to hear it!

The other reading will be done by my Grandad... my grandad does a lot with his local church, he orchestrates for the services and plays the organ for any celebrations etc. I'd love to be able to ask him to play as I walk down the aisle but the ceremony room is so small I really don't think it'll work logistically- aswell as him living 2.5hrs away from the venue and he'll have to bring his own electric piano. (read: Pride and Joy- will never in a million years transport it/leave it at the venue overnight

So I think a reading will be the next best thing... He is our family spokesperon- definitely the man for the job!

As it is a civil ceremony I think I'm going to have to choose this myself and present it to him as he won't be able to involve anything religious (Which he is used to)... I've been having a little look and theres a few I like/ think are appropriate.

Do you think I should give him a few to choose from?

<h3>On Your Wedding Day</h3>

Today is a day you will always remember
    The greatest in anyone's life
    You'll start off the day just two people in love
    And end it as husband and wife.
    It's a brand new beginning, the start of a journey
    With moments to cherish and treasure
    And although they'll be times when you both disagree
    These will surely be outweighed by pleasure
    You'll have heard many words of advice in the past
    When the secrets of marriage were spoken
    But you know that the answers lie hidden inside
    Where the bond of true love lies unbroken
    So live happy forever as lovers and friends
    It's the dawn of a new life for you
    As you stand there together with love in your eyes
    From the moment you whisper ‘I do'
    And with luck all your hopes and your dreams can be real
    May success find its way to your hearts
    Tomorrow can bring you the greatest of joys
    But today is the day it all starts

I think my grandad will love this one and I really like it... Its soppy but not cringey but I have heard it at a couple of weddings already.

<h3>A Good Wedding Cake</h3>

4lb of love
    1/2lb of sweet temper
    1lb of butter of youth
    1lb of blindness of faults
    1lb of pounded wit
    1lb of good humour
    2lbs of sweet argument
    1 pint of rippling laughter
    1 wine glass of common sense
    A dash of modesty
    Put the love, good looks and a sweet temper into a well-furnished house. Beat the butter of youth into a cream and mix well together with the blindness of faults. Stir the pounded wit and good humour into the sweet argument, then add the rippling laughter and common sense. Work the whole together until everything is well mixed and bake gently for ever.

Everybody knows me to be cake maker so I think this'll be a nice light hearted option and definitely relates to us as a couple. But I'm not sure what route C will go down with her reading, don't want them both to be humerous/similar.

or 

Bob Marley

He’s not perfect. You aren’t either, and the two of you will never be perfect. But if he can make you laugh at least once, causes you to think twice, and if he admits to being human and

• ohhh dear- got cut off!

Bob Marley

He’s not perfect. You aren’t either, and the two of you will never be perfect. But if he can make you laugh at least once, causes you to think twice, and if he admits to being human and making mistakes, hold onto him and give him the most you can. He isn’t going to quote poetry, he’s not thinking about you every moment, but he will give you a part of him that he knows you could break. Don’t hurt him, don’t change him, and don’t expect for more than he can give. Don’t analyze. Smile when he makes you happy, yell when he makes you mad, and miss him when he’s not there. Love hard when there is love to be had. Because perfect guys don’t exist, but there’s always one guy that is perfect for you

This one is well known in my family- my dad is probably Bob Marley's biggest fan (photos/quotes all over the house- we've visited Bob's house twice as a family in jamaica!)

It's a really lovely reading and I think the words are very poignant/important, it's just not going to be new to anybody who knows us as a family- not sure if that matters really.

It'd be nice for my grandad to mention bob marley/ my dad just before it is read.

• Little Updates

Ive been away this week, few days in London then a long weekend in Amsterdam with my sister in law for her birthday...had a really nice time away from work/wedding planning but back to it! (Back to the diet too but thats another story!) 

-I left last wednesday and was hanging on for the postman as my veil from blossom and bluebird was supposed to be arriving, i had to leave in the end but when I got back yesterday it still hasn’t arrived!  I’ve emailed Sian and she’s going to track it this afternoon... I have the worst luck with online shopping/deliveries! 

-My Grandad loved the “on your wedding day” reading and I’m more than happy to go ahead with that one! I showed the ”he’s not perfect” one to FSIL whos doing the other reading but not sure she was too keen.

- Looks like we’re back to the drawing board when it come to suits. D tried on one suit back in August and decided itnwas the one but the shop assistant explained it was too early and he’d need to come back Jan/Feb time with his groomsmen. 

Unforuntaley it looks like Slaters has stopped stocking this suit...its taken me WEEKS but I think I might have found it online but it looks really different and is a different price 

imageHere’s D when he tried the suit on 

image This is the one online...

I’m not 100% convinced it is the same suit, maybe we should just bite the bullet and order one to see! What do you think?

• oooo! I've been looking at this on my phone screen and they looked a really different colour, but I've just noticed when I uploaded the images on here, and looked on the desktop at work that they actually look more similar than I thought!

I'm going to measure D tonight and order it online.. fingers crossed! He loves that suit and I think it does really suit him (excuse the pun!!)

The only issue with it is it's a modern slim fit- probably not suitable for our fathers- This basically gives us 3 options

1. Just see how everybody gets on with it and possibly alter our fathers to fit (although I'm not sure this is possiblle)

2. Have D and the groomsmen in this suit and take our dads to get something togeher that'll match in with the boys

3. Have D in that suit and all the groomsmen/ dads in a different (matching) suit.

• Blossom and Bluebird Veil

Its here! My veil has arrived! After a little bit of drama (Its me afterall- its to be expected!) I'm at work with my veil beautifully boxed up underneath my desk!

I'm so pleased with it- it's exactly what I'd hoped for and I honestly could not reccommend Sian from Blossom and Bluebird enough!

So... here's some hideous photos of myself at work (sorry for the scribbles and coat- thats how excited I was!) trying my veil on!

Think this has been my most exciting wedding delivery so far!

The plan is for the veil to sit on the bottom of the dress just before the lace on the train so it looks like it all blends in

Ohhhh I'm so excited to try them on together!! Roll on June!

• Love your veil hun and catching up on your thread. Its very surreal to be following someones wedding, who lives so close

x

Gorgeous veil!! Fingers crossed the suit is perfect for you h2b!

• girlgang209 wrote (see post):

Love your veil hun and catching up on your thread. Its very surreal to be following someones wedding, who lives so close

x

Thankyou! Ooo have you got a planning thread? I work with a lady who’s getting married at my venue 6 months after me-I find it so surreal, from the little info we’ve told each other they’re going to be very different! 

• FutureMrsThomas wrote (see post):

Gorgeous veil!! Fingers crossed the suit is perfect for you h2b!

Thanks FutureMrsThomas! i rang slaters this morning actually and the guy on the phone was fantastic- he had me send over pics of the suit from when D tried it on via email and called me straight back stating there was only in the whole of the UK in Ds size so he’s ordered it in to the cardiff store for next week..looks likes we’ll be going down the different suits for groomsmen route but at the end of the day, D should stand out...it’s guess it’s his wedding too after all! 

Yay! That’s good news! 

• 1 year engagement anniversary!

This time last year I was floating around this incredible lake, sun beaming down...blissfully unaware of Ds plans to take me on a canoe into the middle, somehow manage to turn around and face me and ask me to be his wife! probably the best day of my life so far...

this year, I’m sat in work freezing cold, slightly hungover (feeling sorry for myself) but with butterflies in my tummy thinking of the exciting times ahead! 

Cannot believe how fast this year has gone! 

Eek! How fast has the last year gone? The next few months will go even faster. 

• Invitations continued

We really liked the rustic passport invitations, but for the cost, they did feel a little flimsy and that was putting me off a bit. 

Were a couple of weeks off the 6month mark so really need to get a wiggle on.

I came across a Facebook Ad for the original wedding tea towel and think they’re awesome!! Such a clever idea and something our guests can keep forever(if they want to) I know my nana would wet herself with excitement over receiving a wedding invite tea towel! 

They do matching info cards/RSVPs but I’m thinking of producing these myself instead.

They have loads of designs but these are the 2 we are looking at, I love the way all the info is presented on the first design and think it is easy to read/uncomplicated but the 2nd certainly fits in with our beachy theme but im not as fussed about all the details along the bottom- We’ll need to sit down, get all of our information together and wording etc and then decide which one works best

imageimage

I sent off for a sample and this is what they sent, amazing!

They have lots of ideas for packaging on their website too...think we’ll go with simple boxes like this: 

Ive priced them up on Ebay and are around £10 for 50!