A wedding in the Gower

• Georgina74Georgina74 Posts: 299 New bride

Saxophone!

One of the first things I ever planned to have for this wedding was a sax player to play alongside our DJ to bring a dance/ house-y vibe and get everybody up on the dance floor! But as we started working out a budget and realising how bloody expensive weddings were it dropped further and further down the necessities list.

We've recently made a few biggish savings and have some money from my nana put aside- I want to use this on something specific so she knows where her money has gone, I started to look at sax players again- the difficulty here is that the style I want is quite niche and as the Gower is in the middle of nowhere I couldn't really find anybody willing to travel.

But then I came across a lady on Facebook.. .I'm not sure that she's done weddings before but she has played alongside bands and played in a few small nightclubs in Cardiff as well as travelling throughout Europe busking... I contacted her and she said she was available and quoted me £120 including travel....... I was expected at least £400 so I'm a bit sceptical, but her music sounds great on her profile... she's not been the best with communication but seems excited to play for us so we've gone ahead with her.

I asked if she wanted a deposit but she said no, but if i cancel within 5 days then 50% will need to be paid.... the worst thing that can happen is she doesnt' turn up, it's not going to change any aspect of the day.. no one will know she isn't there so I guess were just winging this one!

D has never said it but I know its not a big deal for him to have a sax player anyway so I think this is a good comprimise... at the end of the day we've (okay I've) got to keep in mind any savings we make on the wedding means more money for our 6 months away!

• Martha13Martha13 Posts: 46

The letters are awesome ! very impressed. Why not sell them after ? A decor hire company might be interested too 

LOVE letters

Here they are! The almost finished letters made by D and his dad 

Im over the moon with them! 

• ruthie1979ruthie1979 Posts: 794

Oh my goodness - the LOVE letters are AMAZING!!!!! Really impressed 

And that belt - when does it arrive? It's stunning xxx

• britbirdbritbird Posts: 1,468 New bride

OMG those LOVE letters are amazing !

Champagne glasses!

As the big Etsy fan that I am, I've obviously come acros the personalised champagne flutes over and over and convinced myself that they were a nessecity. But I thought I'd go down the DIY route again as I'm starting to enjoy all these little projects (READ: NOT the invitations- I did NOT enjoy that mammoth ongoing task!)

Anyway, I found champagne flutes in Asda for 50p each, ordered the vinyls from Etsy, spent a whole afternoon with my trusty old glue glun and twine and ended up with these! I had the charms left over from the bouquets so the stems of the glasses match the handles of the bouquets- is that a thing? It is now! (The charms say: May you always have a shell in your pkcket and sand between your toes) 

Here they are:

Love the glasses!!! I think I need to do these too for hen do/wedding xxx

The belt!

The belt has landed! I knew it was the belt as soon as the doorbell rang, I was sooo exited!

I have to say, I was slightly disappointed when I first opened the box... the belt is smaller than I'd imagined and it doesn't seem that well made. It is essentially some pearls/ bling and silky flowers glued onto a piece of gauze like material. BUT once I got over the initial reaction and realised that it is exactly how it was descripted and looks exactly like the image I've really warmed to it. It is very pretty, matches my bouquet and will hopefully sit well with my dress! It has some bling on it but it's not the big blingy belt I originally tried on and it still has the floral/laid back style that I was looking for.

I was hoping for it to be a bit wider- the reason for this is that I wanted the belt to sit on my waist and hide my tummy, but in reality, it would look silly if it was any bigger- I've not properly tried it on yet as without the dress it seems pointless so it'll be coming with me along with my veil, I can't wait to see the dress again (although I've done nothing diet wise- what is wrong with me!?) and to see it all together!

It's stunning! I was waiting for you to post an image of it - it's really lovely xx

Thankyou Ruthie1979! I've been home for most of today and keep looking at it... I love it more and more each time that I do.... I feel a weird guilt now for my initial reaction to it!

I've even been googling ivory lace tops/dresses to buy so that I could somehow get an idea of what it'll look like with the dress- honestly, I feel like you guys are seeing a complete different (weird) side to me that has never come out before.. my friends wouldn't recognise me

Nana of the Bride!

During the week I took my nana shopping to find an outfit- I think she's been stressing that she wouldn't find anything, its been a long time since she's dressed up and even though we have just over 5months to go I think she wanted to get it out of the way so she can look forward to it without worrying about what she was wearing. We started off in Monsoon, Coast etc but wasn't really coming across anything... we had a little look in John Lewis and then went to Debenhams, we'd not really come across anything suitable and was starting to think we'd come too early in the year but then we found Jaques Vert- we had hundreds of options here, grabbed a basket and filled it! It was right next to Phase Eight so we found a couple of dresses in there too... she tried a few on and was enjoying the process but there was something wrong with each dress, sleeves not covering her arms enough, top half too low, dress too long etc.

There was one dress in Phase Eight that I thought was perfect but they didn't have it in her size..I grabbed it anyway in  size too big, she loved it! It looks great.. it's more fitted than she thought she'd go for but she really liked it, the lady called around and they had it in her size in house of fraser and they also had 20% off! She's so excited now, we went for a lovely lunch afterwards

We found the fascinator in Quiz- we just need to get a thin headband to attach it to as her hair is very fine.

Make-Up

I have finally committed and booked a Make-Up artist- I've been debating whether to do my own for a while and have enjoyed testing out new make up/styles... some days I really like my make- up, some days I can't get it right to save my life... so I've booked a MUA

I've got with Jessie Dallimore- she's been recommended from the venue as a regular supplier and also from friends who live closer to the area- I'm relieved now I've got her booked! I've booked in for just myself and my mum, my bridesmaids are all happy to do their own. For myself, the trial will be £50 and on the day £90 and for mum, £35 trial £55 on the day (although she may not bother with a trial- she never wears heavy make-up and will keep it that way on the day)

This is the look I'm going to aim for.... nudey/gold eye shadow with a heavier than normal lash/eyeliner and a blush pink lip- a little bit brighter than in these images.

imageimageimage

Wow what a glam Nana xx She looks fabulous 

Missed the make up post while I was replying about your Nana 

Love the make up inspiration - when are you going for a trial? xx

Thankyou! I haven't officially booked it in yet but she said around the end of July, she only does the trials in the week but my Hen Do is on the 20th/21st so I might try for the Friday afternoon so at least its not wasted!

• Sian91Sian91 Posts: 829 New bride

The letters and glasses look great! Where is your belt from please? It’s so different and absolutely gorgeous- I’ve not seen one like this before at all! 

Thankyou Sian91! Yeah that's why I loved it- so different from the usual ones you find in the bridal shops!

Here's the link: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/198544053/bridal-belt-sash-rose-gold-belt-sash?ref=shop_home_feat_3

Hair

I've also booked our hair stylist this week too, I've gone with Gower Bridal Hair, again recommended by Oxwich and after trawling through tons of websites looks to be the most suited to our needs.

I've booked for myself, mum and 4 bridesmaids (one of my BMs has a very short bob at the moment so is happy to style her own hair and A our junior BM can just have some softs waves, there will be plenty of girls around on the morning to do this for her!) Its £55 for mine (£40) for trial and £40 for the others on the day.

This is the style I'm thinking for myself:

imageimageimage

and the BMs:

imageimageimage

• Sian91Sian91 Posts: 829 New bride
    Thank you! I think I need to use Etsy more- there’s so many gems on there! Glad you’ve got your hair booked too (I don’t think the pictures were working for me though?)
    Georgina74 wrote (see post):

Thankyou Sian91! Yeah that's why I loved it- so different from the usual ones you find in the bridal shops!

Here's the link: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/198544053/bridal-belt-sash-rose-gold-belt-sash?ref=shop_home_feat_3

Honeymoon Bali Villa

As you probably already know, D and I are going travelling for 6 months after the wedding across Asia. We've started to plan a route now and look into things to do, places to stay etc. We're flying into Kuala Lumpur first so that'll be our first official stop but then we're then heading to Bali for around a month. This trip will be on a budget and therefore we'll be staying in budget accommodation for the most part but we wanted something special at the start to kick off the trip and as an acknowledgement that it is our honeymoon too so we started looking at private pool villas..... there are thousands across Bali so it was difficult to choose but we've settled for one in Seminyak- not too far from the airport, close to nice beaches etc and easy to move onto other parts of Bali/Lombok .

We've gone for The Khayangan Dreams Villa I'm SO excited! We're only staying for a few nights (we'd definitely get bored with anymore) but I just can't wait to arrive there- all the stress of the wedding to be over and done with and have 6 months of free time ahead of us- I can't really imagine that feeling right now but it gives me butterflies thinking of the whats to come for us this year!

imageimageimageimageimageimage

Oh my goodness that looks absolutely stunning!!! And travelling for 6 months sounds divine. Where else is on your list? Are you on Instagram and will you be documenting your travels? Going to be fabulous xxx

• Wow your honeymoon/travelling will be such an experience! Have to say I’m jealous of that beautiful accommodation X 

Thanks girls! 

Were thinking so far to do around a month in Bali/Lombok then around 10weeks or so doing northern Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and into South Thailand for xmas, spend a little while there and then to Malaysian Borneo, then onto the Philippines and finish in India. 

That's the plan- but we're not booking anything else in advance so who knows where we'll end up!

It took us ages to choose the villa! We'll be staying in hostels for the rest of the trip so this little bit of luxury seemed especially important! 

THE INVITES HAVE LANDED

Wooooo! I am in posession of actual physical invitations and I'm absolutely over the moon with them!!! They've been bloody hard work but its paid off and I'm almost ready to send! Just need to get a fancy pen to write on the names, some wine and a good production line to stick it all in and they'll be in the post! THANK THE LORD.

Here they are:

imageimageimageThe pocketfold front, back and inside.

imageimageimageimage the passport invitation

imageimage the boarding card RSVP and menu choice

I'm really pleased with them, they're a little unconvential but I think they completely sum up my vision for the day!

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,058 New bride

They are amazing, well done!

Done & Dusted

And there we go! the invitation saga has come to an end (I bloody hope!) Had an expensive trip to the post office this morning so they're all making their way to their recipients as we speak. I've hand delivered all the local ones this afternoon and just have about 6 or so to give out over the weekend at a family event.

PHEW! now that was a big job, I was out of my depth with that one! But it paid off in the end, I'm looking forward to going back to gluing foam flowers on things and spending my free time googling themes and hairstyles!

My mum did point out this morning that I will need to be thinking about evening invites soon, surely they'd be having with a text?

I might look into changing some of the wording in the actual passport invite and just sending those (no pocketfold or RSVP cards) According to the invoice I revieved from the printer that would cost me £42 so I'd be happy with that but thats something we need to look at a little further down the line.

Its a bit tricky with the evening guest list, our venue package states that we will have catering for up to double our day times guests (which would be around 180- we haven't even got half of that on our list so I'm going to ask if we could upgrade the included finger buffet to a pizza buffet for around 120 and use the the excess to pay for the upgrade- if that makes sense?)

Anyway! as our wedding is on a Tuesday, we're not expecting many evening guests- the venue is about an hour and half away from where we live so it would be difficult for people to attend, we knew this when we booked and although we do love a party-were happy that our day guests will be with us and no body seems to be put out so far!

Our evening list is mostly work and school/uni friends.

Aisle Runner

One niggle I have with the ceremony room is the aisle. They either have this red aisle runner which I hate, or just the carpet- which is fine, we are having our twine jars with candles down either side and then a floral arrangement on the signing table/ fireplace. I have also bought 2 4ft ivory rose trees that I want to put at the bottom of the aisle (other side to where we'll be saying our vows) which will then be taken to the marquee- here they are but its a rubbish pic I took in the shop to show D image

Having no aisle runner is the sensible option, it would be fine and certainly not missed but I've seen these:

imageimage

I really love the white and think it'll really brighten up the room- the room is cosy, wood beams/ lots of candles but this makes it bright and fresh (I have seen the white runner in our ceremony room but I can't find a picture of it at the moment)

I've looked online and they seem pricey..I'm also a bit worried about how my ivory dress (and the flowers) would look against the white... what do you think?

I love the rose trees and the flower wall looks stunning - we've booked a flower wall too! xxx

• MrsLMTMrsLMT Posts: 3,830

I had those trees! Lol 

( Ispent a few hours with material, fairy lights and cable ties to make them fit my theme! They looked amazing!) 

Love your invitations! 

Thanks! The rose tree were from Home Bargains! I bought 2 but actually I might go back tomorrow and buy another 2 so I can put them either side of the LOVE letters too.

Floral Chandelier

Another thing I've fallen in love with are these floal chandelier pieces. imageimageimage

I'm not sure whether you can see on these images but the lights go right up and the floral ring arrangement is hanging via ribbon maybe half a foot or so underneath.

I overbought centrepiece flowers so I can use those and I'll pick up some foliage garlands. I don't know whether to use a wire hoop or an actual foam oasis- i've bought these for my centrepieces but they're bloody expensive! I might glue the flowers to a wire ring instead but I'm going to look into it when I go to country baskets next week! D can't believe I'm taking on another flower project- he thinks I'm mad but I love them!

I've actually bought some of the glass baubles as I was going to hang them from the chandeliers on their own but now I'll hang them off the floral arrangement.

image I bought 10 packs of these today, some for the baubles but mostly for the twined jars.