Forum home Your planning threads

Our baby blue & fuschia country wedding Sept 2017

Ok, i've been lurking on here for a little while and it's now 10 weeks until the wedding so I thought it would help to write everything down in one place! So here goes, this is the story of us..

How we met

As much as I would have loved a really romantic chance meeting I actually met K on an online dating site and I messaged him first (which is atually really unlike me but I thought what the heck I have nothing to lose). It's the kind of site where you answer loads of questions and then the match you with a perentage and I think we had an 87% match or something like that. We talked for a couple of days on the site and then moved on to whatsapp and arranged to meet pretty quickly. I think we were both on the same page in terms of wanting to figure out if there was any potential so we didnt waste too much time talking before we met. Anyway after one failed attempt to meet (he had an interview which ran really late so I would have had to hang around for over an hour so I went home) we rearranged and decided to meet at King's Cross Station one Friday after work. I still remember seeing him and thinking thank god he looks like his photos and omg hes so handsome.

For the first date we went to a tapas bar and ordered a pitcher of sangria. Straight away I liked him, he had posh accent but was really cheeky as well and we discovered he grew up in the town where I went to Uni and we worked in similar industries so we had quite a lot to talk about. There was a group of ladies in their 40s at the table next to us and I found out later that when I went to the loo, the ladies were chatting to him and said they were trying to suss out everyone in the restaurant and they said obviously we must have been or our 4th or 5th date (not our first!). The date was going so well we decided to have dinner and then on to another bar for drinks before parting ways in time to get the last tube home.

And we've been pretty inseperable since! That was two and a half years ago and since then I moved into his house for a while, then he sold and we bought a house together in May last year. It's been quite quick but when you know, you know!

• Laura349Laura349 Posts: 1,001 New bride

Yay! Another planning thread! I'm sure the 10 weeks will fly by too!

• Jessica228Jessica228 Posts: 98

The Proposal

After about a year of dating, K made it clear he wanted to marry me so I knew a proposal was coming at some point although I didn’t expect it at all when he did. It was two years after we had first met and a few of my girlfriends had said they really wanted to climb Snowdon and so did I so I thought I’d organise a little weekend getaway. When I told K about this he said he’d really like to join and wouldn’t mind driving us all up there so it ended up being him plus 4 girls. We rented a little cottage for the weekend and drove there on Friday after work ready to do the climb on the Saturday. We cooked a big breakfast and that morning I noticed there was some Prosecco in the fridge which K said he was bringing with him on the climb. I thought this was really strange but didn’t twig at all and just thought he’s such a posh boy taking Prosecco up a mountain!

Then we set off for the mountain and started the climb. It took about 3 hours to climb to the top and it was lovely sunshine all the way up – until we got to the very top and a thick cloud came out of nowhere and it was freezing so we decided to climb down a little bit back into the sunshine to eat our lunches. After we’d eaten I noticed K was acting a bit funny and he announced he had a gift for me - a medal engraved with my name saying ‘mountain hero’. I was a bit confused as to why he was giving me this in front of my friends but he said that I’d been saying all summer how I saw everyone getting medals for running the marathon and that I’d always wanted a medal but never got one! He then have me a second present which was a little velvet pouch. I opened it up and there was a tiny bottle with a message in and at this point I was even more confused thinking this is so random! He said open the bottle and read the message so I did and it said ‘you make me feel on top of the World… will you marry me!’.

I can’t tell you how shocked I was, I was not expecting it all, especially not with a small audience of my friends! He then got down on one knee and presented the ring and I can’t really remember saying it but apparently the first thing I said was ‘have you asked my dad’ (he had). Anyway of course I said yes and we got the bottle of Prosecco out as well as my favourite chocolate truffles and we all sat around admiring the view and the ring! Looking back I probably should have suspected something when I found the Prosecco and when he started being weird!

Afterwards we started the 3 hour walk back down which I don’t remember much of apart from the fact there were sheep everywhere and that I just felt on cloud 9! That evening we all went back to the cottage, cooked a big meal and played games, in between messaging our families of course who all knew it was what he had planned! 

Here are a couple of pics including a ring shot:

• HailsHails Posts: 2,455

Looking forward to reading more, I'm a September 2017 bride too.

• Laura349Laura349 Posts: 1,001 New bride

Awww!! I love the proposal! Your ring is gorgeous (the views are beautiful too!) 

The Venue

Originally (like a few people on here) I had imagined myself having a rustic wedding, maybe in a barn or a garden with bunting, pastel colours and maybe even an alice in wonderland theme. I think Pinterest is to blame for this, but I fell in love with a completely different venue which threw that whole idea out of the window! We probably looked at about 10 venues in total and the first 6 or 7 just weren't working for us at all. Silchester House was a big contender at first but when we went to see it we just didn't get that warm feeling. It was really pretty but I would have wanted to decorate the whole house which would have been a bit too much work and money and also the rooms were a tad expensive - we wanted somewhere where rooms and drink prices were reasonable for all our guests.

Stoke Place was also a good contender and it had a really nice light and airy feel. However in the end we went for something totally different - The Elvetham in Hampshire. As soon as we drove into the property I was in love with it, I really wanted somewhere with a strong entrance of high trees and a long driveway. Our first impression of the building was just wow - its so grand and imposing and really reminded me of Northanger Abbey which is one of my favourite books. As we stepped inside we loved it more and more. All of the staff were super friendly and we both just had that tingly feeling as we walked through which meant it had to be the one! There are a couple of different options of rooms to use for the wedding breakfast, the conservatory or a library which are both lovely and theres also a church onsite (although its deconstructed so we wouldn't be able to get married there).

We thought about it for a week but then went back in the next weekend when they had an open day so we were able to see some of the rooms as well. Initially I had wanted a year and a half to 2 years to plan but they offered us 1 September 2017 which was less than a year away but a really great price. I um'd and ah'd on this for a while but decided to bite the bullet and plan a wedding in just under a year and that was that we were all set! 

I'm a year into planning and I am starting to get to the point where I just want it all done, cannot imagine what it would be like for much longer! A year is plenty of time.

Thanks Laura349, i love the ring and the proposal :)

Hails - what date are you?

23 Sept!

• MrsK2017MrsK2017 Posts: 230 New bride

Your proposal looks amazing! And the venue looks STUNNING! Can't wait to see more of your planning :) 

The Vision

I always wanted to have a colour scheme that was a little different, that you don’t see every day. While I was browsing pinterest I came across the combination of baby blue and fuchsia and I just loved it. I love the colours separately and would never that thought of putting them together but I really like the contrast and it just makes me feel really happy and summery.

Here are a few photos to show what I mean:

I decided to go with Baby Blue bridesmaid dresses and also cravats and pocket squares for the groomsman and then all the flowers will be a mixture of fuchsia and cream. Then I'll weave blue and fuchsia throughout with different accents.

• VegasLouVegasLou Posts: 820 New bride

Wow your venue is stunning, love the staircase. What a great proposal, I too was proposed to at the top of a mountain! 

VegasLou wrote (see post):

Wow your venue is stunning, love the staircase. What a great proposal, I too was proposed to at the top of a mountain! 

Oh wow, which one? Yes i'm in love with that staircase and the stain glass, cant wait to walk down there in my dress! We have our menu tasting tonight so looking forward to seeing the venu again!

The Photographer

Luckily h2b’s family all have useful wedding talents! His Mum used to be a wedding photographer, his auntie has a stationary business and his cousin has a cake making business so we’ve used their skills wherever we can. Understandably, his mum didn’t want to be working on her son’s big day so she isn’t doing our photos but she did recommend someone and we’ve come up with an arrangement where she will do the editing of the photos which brings down the price quite a bit.

Save the Dates

She did however offer to take some photos for our save the dates so back in November last year we had a little photo shoot. There were two creative routes – one of us walking through the woods and one with sparklers (since we’d be sending them out on 5<sup>th</sup> Nov). The sparklers didn’t quite come out as planned so in the end we settled for a wood image and sent it with the date via text and email. Here’s one of them…

The Dress (and the wobbles)

So the dress search has been a bit of a tough one for me as I had a major wobble after paying for it and i'm still not sure I'm 100% happy with it. Anyway opinions would be much appreciated, let me know if it's all in my head!

I went to about 5 shops in total and I was originally looking for an A-line princess cut with a v-neck. I loved the look of satin but also wanted a bit of detail rather than a plain satin look. One of the first dresses I tried was a pronovias which I really liked but but felt it just wasn't the one:

I kept looking around but couldn't find anything that was quite right and then I came across a bridal boutique called Sophia Grace Bridal which was just such a lovely and relaxed place compared to some of the others I'd been in. I think I kind of wanted to find my dress in that shop, I had the flu really bad and I was generally a bit sick of dress hunting so part of me thinks I may have decided on my dress because I wanted the hunt to be over! Anyway it was between two in the shop, the first was this one although the colour was more dark, kind of cream which wasn't as nice as the ivory colour below:

I was almost about to go with this one when my MIL suggested I try on one more that I wouldn't even have thought of trying. I thought i'd try it just to make her happy and then when I put it on I actually really liked it and felt like a princess. So in my fluey state i decided to go for it and put a deposit down. Looking back now, I really should have thought about it before rushing into it. In the weeks after wards I had a niggling feeling that I could have found something nicer but I just shoved the thoughts to the back of my head and ignored them until I went back to try it on again and try on veils and jewellery. When I tried it on again I liked it but afterwards when looking at photos that my mum had taken I was really disappointed and had a major wobble. I really wished I'd taken my time about the decision instead of rushing into it.

Anyway here it is, let me know what you think!

• EpiphanyEpiphany Posts: 718

Wow!  Your dress is beautiful!  You look wonderful!  Your groom and guests will be totally 'wowed'! :)

• FMCFMC Posts: 125

It's stunning. You really don't need to worry 😀

• Ambam19Ambam19 Posts: 589 New bride

It's really elegant but wow which is a great combo to have. U look beautiful in it x

• Giraffe888Giraffe888 Posts: 678

It's a beautiful dress! X

love the back but I think that high square neck is slightly frumpy - it could probably be altered? Just my opinion though.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. So I had my first dress fitting on Saturday and I'm feeling a lot better about the dress. Theyre going to add in cups which totally transforms it and give some the top section some structure. I do feel beautiful when I wear it so I guess that's the most important thing and Im planning to wear my hair up or half up to have my neck and shoulders on show as I dont think it works with hair down. I also searched for the dress make on instagram and found quite  few wedding photos of other brides in the dress and I think they look lovely. It's too late to change it now anyway so I may as well own it! 

Jessica228 wrote (see post):
    VegasLou wrote (see post):

Oh wow, which one? Yes i'm in love with that staircase and the stain glass, cant wait to walk down there in my dress! We have our menu tasting tonight so looking forward to seeing the venu again!

Mount Teide in Tenerife. We'd walked from sea level to the very top, leaving the hostel at 4am for the final ascent to watch the sun rise and he proposed then with my son jumping up and down as he was in on the plan. 

Oh I love your dress and you look beautiful in it, I'm so pleased you felt happier with it when you went for your fitting. The cups sound like a good idea, can't wait to see it finished. It seems so many ladies have dress wobbles, probably not helped by being on here and seeing all the beautiful dresses.

The Bridesmaids

I have four in total, 3 of my school friends and my sister which was a bit of a no brainer. I popped the question with personalised cards saying ‘I can’t say I do without you’ and  oversized chocolate lollies with their names and ‘…Bridesmaid?’.

Dress shopping was relatively painless. We initially tried Sexyher.co.uk and went to their warehouse to try different ones and I put the order through but they called me to confirm there were absolutely no refunds since they were changing the colour specifically for my order. This made me really nervous especially as they were being made in China and one of the girls wanted to order a size smaller than she actually was in the hope she would lose the weight. Then randomly I was out shopping one day and came across some multiway dresses in Debenhams that were the perfect colour so I bought 4 of them there and then. I got the girls round to try them and they looked great and they were all (mostly) happy and I only had to switch out one size which I managed to do the next week. They have lots of give in them too so perfect if any of the girls slightly gain or lose weight before the wedding. I’m still undecided on whether to go with flower crowns or not. I initially briefed them into the florist and she said they would be £20 each. I think they would look great with lose waves but the only problem is my sister has a very short graduated bob so it might not look right on her. I might ask the florist if she can do one for me in advance and then get my sister to try it with the dress. Anyway here’s the dress:

• Wibs77Wibs77 Posts: 414

I love the cards for the bridesmaids.

The dresses are a lovely colour.  That's a good idea about the flower crown, it might look better than you think

Flowers

I'm not really an expert on flowers so I wasn't too sure how to approach this but while I was at a Wedding Fair at my venue I noticed our local village florist was exhibiting there. I hadn't really thought  about using them as I assumed they were very small and probably didn't do weddings but I was pleasantly surprised and thought actually it would be really handy to be be able to pop 5 mins down the road to have a look at the flowers as they're doing them. There was also another florist at the wedding fair who had some lovely examples but when speaking to them they said we had to place a minimum order of £1200! That was way over our flower budget so I decided to give the local florist a go.

I arranged a meeting and went along armed with loads of photos of the kind of thing I wanted. We were looking for my bouquet, 4x bridesmaid bouquets, button holes for 6 guys plus 2 mums, table centrepieces, ceremony room arrangements, a vine for the table plan and flower crowns for the bridesmaids which is TBC depending on how they look and the quote came to £785 which i was very pleased about considering there was a minimum spend of £1200 with the other florists.

So we went ahead and booked them :) I must admit it's a little strange just explaining what you want and then waiting ages and hoping they do it how you want it! It's not like they can really do a sample either as they have to order in the particular flowers especially. Oh well I suppose I just have to have faith but the control freak in me wants to know how they'll turn out.

Here are a few of the photos I gave them for inspiration and I asked for fuchsia and cream so they're going to use mainly roses, lisianthus and wax flowers with lots of foliage:

• Katherine66Katherine66 Posts: 1,234

Love your colours very close blue to mine but im teaming with peach and rose gold.  

Dress is beautiful !   You look stunning!  Love the train!  A little plain for me but im not you:)!!  

Flowers can be expensive mine were nearly £2000!   But i love them and they are a huge part for me.     

You are a fellow mountain climber was doing ben nevis this year but badly sprained my ankle:(.   Next year maybe.  

I wish I could have spent more on the flowers, I absolutely love them but after much negotiation with hubby 2 be we settled at a £1000 budget for them so we're actually under! Ooh blue with peach and rose gold sounds lovely, I saw lots of inspiration on pinterest with those colours and the combination works really well. 

• MrsLMTMrsLMT Posts: 3,830

Yours ideas sounds lovely! Your dress looks beautiful on you, timeless elegance. 

Shoes

Ok so I get miserable when my feet hurt and I just can't wear high heels for prolonged periods of time so for me it was all about comfort. I'm not that fussed about designers either and I love a bargain where I can get one so I hit the January sales for the wedding shoes and managed to find the perfect comfy shoes from John Lewis for £37.50 I think down from like £60.

They're kind of plain but I think they're cute and will go well with my dress since they're both satin. They're Rainbow Club as well who do dyeing kits so I could always dye them after the wedding if I fancied. The best thing is they're so comfy! They rub slightly on the heel but I think that will go away after i've worn them in more. I might get some white wedges as back up for the evening in case they start to hurt. My dress is so big and when I take my shoes off its hard to walk without tripping so I don't think i can swap to flats.

Mother of the Bride's Outfit

This was a big deal for Mum, she wanted to get something classy but comfortable but she doesn't often wear dresses or heels. She chose the outfit herself and asked me to come along when she tried it on and I loved it too, it goes perfectly with the colour scheme and is age appropriate and flattering. She went for another hat in the end as they didn't have that one in stock but its nice and big and 'Mother of the Bride-ish!'. She's also very happy that we're having everything in one hotel and her room will be just upstairs so she can go and sort out her hat hair for the evening when she takes it off! So many things to thing about!