Forum home Your planning threads

My 2K wedding; the report

I'm back! And I'm married! Can't believe it's been a whole week already. Was literally the most perfect day.

I'll do a full budget update at the end of the report but the total cost stands at £3500, which is obviously significantly more than we intended but overall I'm happy with what we managed on a tight budget.

We don't have the full set of photos back from the photographer. He did send us 10 the same evening so I have managed to order the thank you cards at least.

While I wait for the photos, I'll leave you with this:image

We got our tattoo rings after all!

• EpiphanyEpiphany Posts: 718

Congratulations Mrs P!  So pleased to hear you had a lovely day!

Looking forward to reading your report and seeing the photos!

• wed172Bwed172B Posts: 1,258

Congratulations! Can't wait to read the report :)

• VegasLouVegasLou Posts: 820 New bride

Congratulations!! Your tattoo rings are lovely. Look forward to reading your report.

• MrsNolanMrsNolan Posts: 683 New bride

Eeep yaaay! Congratulations! Love the tattoo rings. Looking forward to your report! Xx

• Tanya128Tanya128 Posts: 1,993

Hooray!!! Youre back! Cant wait to hear all about your day, so excited. Now no pressure but give your photographer a call and tell him to hurry up because I'm waiting! 😜

• MrsLMTMrsLMT Posts: 3,830

Congratulations x Looking forward to your photos! 

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 4,014 New bride

Congratulations! I like forward to seeing the pics. Whst a lovely idea with the tattoo rings, at least you can't forget to put them on!

• Wibs77Wibs77 Posts: 414

Congratulations. Still a brilliant budget I can't wait to see the photos! 

• Mrs AyseMrs Ayse Posts: 561

Congratulations!!! How exciting, can't wait for more...!! 

• LucykinsLucykins Posts: 701

Woo congrats! Looking forward to seeing how it all turned out!

• Ali217Ali217 Posts: 62

Congratulations! Looking forward to reading your report and seeing your photos! 

• Laura349Laura349 Posts: 1,001 New bride

Woo!! i can't wait to read this! So pleased you managed to get your wedding tattoos after all! Xx

• ruthie1979ruthie1979 Posts: 794

Congratulations xxx

£3500 is an amazing budget too x

• Suzie1974Suzie1974 Posts: 126

Many congratulations to you both.😊

• The day before

While I wait for the official photos (still!), I thought I'd start with a proper update on setting up the hall as I just dumped a few photos on my planning thread.

We'd booked the village hall Friday-Sunday so I didn't need to be stressed about having to do stuff ourselves. Obviously this cost more (£320 in total), but worth it. Friday started by taking Bridesmaidzilla to school (she was unhappy with this!) then we loaded up the car and got there about 10am. I'd carefully put every single wedding thing in one room of an outbuilding so Mr P and FIL knew what to bring, this really made things simple as I could carry on without constant phone calls.

This is what we started with:

Our hired included the chairs and tables which saved us a lot of money.

We started by laying the room out with the tables and leaving space for the caterer, DJ and band. The space soon got taken up quickly.

Then Mr P and FIL hung the fairy lights that I'd managed to get for free from the ceiling beams. At the same time one of my bridesmaids arrived (Mrs Best Man) with my youngest flower girl, they and MIL worked out how to do the Pom poms. I had 50 Pom poms in total (£12) part of me thinks they looked good, but another part makes me wish I'd gone nuts and had about 200... While my team was busy transforming the ceiling I did the table plan:

I'm pretty pleased with how this turned out seeing as the only money I spent was 99p on the wooden pegs. The flower bucket was an afterthought, it was a bucket Bridesmaidzilla had for her birthday with a sunflower in which she promptly killed (gets her green fingers from me!), we then used the flowers left over from the centrepieces. The bucket had a hole in for water to drain out but inside I stuck plastic measuring jug.

I also covered the various notice boards with large sheets of paper. This made a real difference to the room.

Next up, the tables...

• The day before continued

Once all the potentially messing bits were done we could start on the tables. MIL had done a fabulous job of washing and ironing the table cloths. I get pretty frustrated with fold lines on table cloths. She'd even brought her iron with her in case any got creased in transit (they didnt). So we hadn't wanted to risk a bit of dirt falling from the ceiling.

MIL and Mrs Best Man worked on the table cloths and started the chair covers. The chair covers had been my biggest concern as I was worried they'd take ages but they really didn't. At some point Mrs Best Man went home and another bridesmaid (Miss Usher) took over. Putting the green flowers to cover the cable ties on paper clips in advance had been a genius idea as they sloted on in seconds.

I'm not even sure where Mr P and FIL were all this time... I was starting to put out the flowers and jam jars. I'd been really fortunate that a lovely girl from work got married a few months ago and gave me her Lace and hessian covered jam jars, which I mixed with my plain ones. Each table had three cans of flowers, three decorated jars and two plain. Flowers cost £40 and made a big impact.

Mr P and FIL turned back up and started laying out the champagne flutes. Mr P had the idea to balance the place names inside the flute which looked really effective.

Here's the finished table, although you can't really see the decorated jam jars:

• Final set-up post I promise!

Mr P and FIL had made a special ice bucket to chill the 40+ bottles of fizz and soft drinks we'd purchased. It was a large metal bin-like container loaded with the bottles and a layer of ice pack between each tier. They they balanced a huge ice block made by freezing a bucket of water on top. There was some science behind it which they bored me with but something about the hot air being pushed out... anyway this sucessfully chilled all the drinks for 24 hours. You can sort-of see their invention in the bottom right of this photo, if you don't have access to a large enough fridge then this is a great alternative.

I popped the P surname I'd made out of corks on the front of the top table. And the Love sign on the piano. FIL had mounted them onto boards so they would stand up. Here's the Love one:

And with that we were pretty much done. It was about 3pm so Mr P left to get Bridesmaidzilla from school. I went home with the in laws to grab something to eat.

Of course Bridesmaidzilla wanted to see the hall so I went back up with her later and messed about unnecessarily with stuff until about 6pm. Here is the finished room:

(With my helper dogs!). The most expensive parts of decorating were the chair covers (£95) and the table cloths (£62) but they really did transform the room.

And now for my rant about the only thing that went wrong the whole day. The reason I wanted the P surname across the front of the top table was so it was in all the photos of the speeches etc. Whilst it had cost me nothing to make, I'd spent an awful lot of time on it. Someone (and I'm certain I know who) decided it would be funny to try rearrange the letters. Firstly that's actually not funny. At all. But they couldn't because they'd been screwed onto the board. So then they tried to take them apart. The whole thing was not beyond being broken but the hot glue gun is pretty strong. Anyway I walked in Post bride and groom photos to see one letter broken in half. This was obviously before dinner and so I only have one guest photo so far of it not broken. My mum and Mr P's aunty did their best to mend it by using the metal cages off the top of the fizz bottles but it didn't look the same and has really bothered me. We also wanted to keep the P surname to have on the kitchen wall so to add insult to injury I've since had to glue it all back together again! We'll be seeing this individual in a few weeks so Mr P is going to make it very clear to him how upset I was. Anyway, I'm glad I've got that off my chest! In the grand scheme of things it wasn't a big deal just annoying that someone would behave like that.

• Flowers

Tiny bit of advice for any brides doing their own flowers. Mine all came from various supermarkets and all had between 7-14 days guaranteed life. We did them with 2 days to go and they were perfect. I mixed up the flower feed solution and put it in every tin can. However because they are in cans they haven't lasted the way they should have. I guess the metal is contaminating the water. 8 days later they are ropey to say the least, whereas the ones in that bucket (which are actually in a plastic jug) are still doing really well. I think if you were doing flowers in jam jars you'd also be fine but I wouldn't do tin cans more than 3-4 days in advance.

The other good news is that not a single can leaked or marked the table cloth.

• Laura349Laura349 Posts: 1,001 New bride

I can't believe someone did that to your cork P surname, after you spent so much time on it - idiots! 

I love the way the room looks though! And I'm so pleased you had an amazing day 

• EpiphanyEpiphany Posts: 718

The hall looks lovely - I love your pallet thing for the timeatable of the day - that's just what I want to create - did you use a stencil?

What a twit to break those corks :( At least you've mended them for your kitchen wall! 

• Epiphany wrote (see post):

The hall looks lovely - I love your pallet thing for the timeatable of the day - that's just what I want to create - did you use a stencil?

What a twit to break those corks :( At least you've mended them for your kitchen wall! 

There's a better picture of the crate somewhere in my planning thread. I printed out the words I wanted in the font I wanted just onto normal paper. Then sellotaped it in place. Then I went over everything with a biro to press a dent into the wood - it takes a little while and makes your arm ache but at least pallet crates are made of soft wood! Once you have the outline as a guide I just went over it with a Sharpie. This works well on bare wood, but the bit at the top which I'd painted with emulsion was difficult. The Sharpie just wouldn't work without going through loads of pens so I had to use a biro which doesn't give such a nice finish.

I'm really pleased with how it turned out, probably my favourite bit of DIY. I'm making one for a family wedding already next year, and I'm considering doing them as a bit of a job on the side.

• Ali217Ali217 Posts: 62

Your venue looks great! I really love how you set up your table plan.

Shame somebody decided to muck about with your surname corks!

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 4,014 New bride

You did such a good job on the room! I swear if someone had messed with any of my decorations like that they would be on my 'dead to me' list. I'm a girl that knows how to hold a grudge lol. Don't let them off lightly!

• LucykinsLucykins Posts: 701

How rude to mess with the decorations, especially before you'd even had dinner! I don't know why anyone would think it was ok to do that.

• Wibs77Wibs77 Posts: 414

How frustrating on the name decoration and unbelievably rude.

Thanks for the tips on the flowers that's great to know. 

Well done on the hall set up it looks great.

• MissSMissS Posts: 267 New bride

Hall looks amazing! I love your pom poms!!! Did you make the LOVE cork board too? Its brilliant! Love the crate! Cant believe someone did that id be so mad! Looking forward to reading more!!

• Congratulations! Looks like you had an amazing day (apart from a minor blip- how rude of them!!) and just goes to show that you don't need a huge budget to have a beautiful wedding!

• MrsLMTMrsLMT Posts: 3,830

The room looks amazing! How awful of someone to break your name decoration! That's really rude and mean. 

Maybe that individual would like the wrath of the brides from the forum!?! Lol. 

• Thanks ladies :) knew I could rely on you all to be as equally outraged.

MissS - yes I did make the LOVE corks too. It's pretty easy, although straight letters are so much easier, that O was a right pain!