October 2018 - An Unconventional London Wedding

• britbirdbritbird Posts: 1,486 New bride

the shoes are great!  I really like that dress as well, can't wait for you to get the "real thing"

• weatherwaxeweatherwaxe Posts: 848 New bride

So I went to pick up my dress and try it on tonight and it was a bit of a crisis to be honest. The dress is massive (1 size too big on my boobs and 2-3 sizes bigger on my waist) as I've lost a bit of weight.  I'm really struggling to see how they can possibly make it fit. 

The alterations guy seemed to think it wouldn't be a problem but IT WAS SO BIG. He did hike it in to show me what it would look like when it was done, but arghhhhhh I don't know whether to believe him or not. 

I don't have any pictures because I was too stressed and now I'm not sure if I should hold out and see what alterations can do, or buy a different backup dress?  

• MrsLMTMrsLMT Posts: 3,830

Don't panic! My dress was huge on me, I could easily fit a small child down the front. However after alterations it was perfect! 

Love your dress! It is gorgeous! 

MrsLMT wrote (see post):

Don't panic! My dress was huge on me, I could easily fit a small child down the front. However after alterations it was perfect! 

Oh Mrs T you've just made me feel a whole lot better, I really did freak out when I tried it on.  

weatherwaxe wrote (see post):
    MrsLMT wrote (see post):

Oh Mrs T you've just made me feel a whole lot better, I really did freak out when I tried it on.  

I freaked out every time I tried my dress on. Lol. I always panicked I had put the weight back on! Lol 

So I've created a plan of action for my dress. I've emailed the shop HQ to ask if there's any way I can send my dress back and order a size smaller, seeing as the consultant sized up (I was between two sizes) even though I told her I wanted to lose weight. I figure I have nothing to lose by asking!

If not, I'm going to put my faith in the alterations department and continue to try and drop a size like I planned.

If alterations don't work out, I'm going to wear a dress I already own and that I was already thinking about changing into for the dancing part of the evening anyway. It's an amazing gold Scarlett & Jo dress that I bought in the sale for £70. It was the sort of thing I originally envisioned myself wearing before I decided on a more traditional wedding dress.

I've worn it on a cruise before but I don't care. I love it, it's flattering and it's really comfy. And I can easily drop a size and it will still fit (it'll actually fit much better than in the photo below, where I'm bloated due to too many cocktails and rich food):

I couldn't wear my veil with it, but all my other accessories would work. The majority of my jewellery is white gold/silver but I've never minded mixing metallics anyway.

Although if this turns out to be the plan, I'm very tempted to order this amazing Crown & Glory birdcage bow veil to go with it:

But we will see!

• Elz2017Elz2017 Posts: 316

That gold dress is stunning - hope you're plan A works out, but with such a glorious plan B hopefully you won't be too worried!

Thanks Elz, I've been stressing about potentially ordering a new dress last minute if it doesn't work out, but then I remembered about my gold dress. I'm a lot more chilled about it all now!

I have just figured out my 'walking down the aisle' song.

I have AGONISED over this. I didn't want anything soppy, or too romantic. I wanted nothing traditional. I wanted something whimsical but that still meant something.

At first it was going to be a cello version of Nothing Else Matters by Metallica, then it was going to be Intro by The XX, then it was going to be Daft Punk's Digital Love, and then it was going to be The Ramones version of Baby I Love You.

But I wasn't 100% sold as none of these felt quite right.

I think I'm finally there. I was listening to the song on my way into work this morning and it was like a light bulb went off. Everywhere by Fleetwood Mac! It's perfect! My best woman can walk in at the start of the song and I'll walk in at the chorus. It's upbeat, slightly silly but still meaningful. LOVE.

We're all walking out to Praise You by Fatboy Slim. Now we just need to figure out some signing the register music. Apparently we need about 10 minutes worth of music. I'm tempted to go cheesy, You're All I Need to Get By by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell, You're the First, the Last, My Everything by Barry White and Never Too Much by Luther Vandross.

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,907 New bride

LOVE your gold dress, you look so beaut in it!

Everywhere is possibly the most quirkily romantic song ever - brilliant choice!!  How are you going to stop yourself singing along...?

I popped in to say that it's entirely your fault that me and my OH now both have personalised gazelles on order for the wedding (his grey and green to wear all day, mine black and green to wear for dancing). He wears adidas all the time so it's perfect. I wouldn't have know you could get them if it wasn't for your thread! Sorry for totally copying you. 

Absolutely love Scarlet and Jo! I have a few dresses by them! Love the gold dress! Remember seeing it on the website. 

Elz2017 wrote (see post):

Everywhere is possibly the most quirkily romantic song ever - brilliant choice!!  How are you going to stop yourself singing along...?

I popped in to say that it's entirely your fault that me and my OH now both have personalised gazelles on order for the wedding (his grey and green to wear all day, mine black and green to wear for dancing). He wears adidas all the time so it's perfect. I wouldn't have know you could get them if it wasn't for your thread! Sorry for totally copying you. 

I may actually dance down the aisle :D

And I am so pleased about the gazelles. It's really gratifying when other people use my ideas. It makes me think I'm doing something right, lol!

MrsLMT wrote (see post):

Absolutely love Scarlet and Jo! I have a few dresses by them! Love the gold dress! Remember seeing it on the website. 

I remember your hen party dress (which was lovely) was from there. They do the best occasion wear.

• VegasLouVegasLou Posts: 820 New bride

Haha sounds like Adidas have been bombarded with custom orders! You should get a discount.

I’m sure they can work wonders with your wedding dress, don’t panic. The gold dress is gorgeous and I love the birdcage veil.

Six months to gooooo! It's all feeling a bit real today.

Invitations are almost ready to go out, and I had an excellent phone call yesterday from my bridal shop.

They want me to bring my dress back in, and provided they can order a replacement in time, they're going to order me a smaller size! I am so happy!

In other news, A's brother is getting married six weeks before us. He originally wanted to also get married in October either just before or just after us so all his family were already in town  but I was having none of that, so they're getting married mid-September instead. I'm glad that they decided to change their plans as I would definitely not be happy with them getting married so close to ours after we've already been planning ours for six months.

Also, I'm still planning on changing into the gold dress for the dancing part of the evening. I thought about it and I want to be more comfortable and look more non-traditional for the actual party element of the day. Plus you know, two dresses! I tried the dress on again and I still love it:

It needs a bit of a hem though, especially if I'm wearing it with trainers. I've also ordered The Crown x Glory glitter bow veil in old gold to match.

That dress continues to be the best dress ever, loving the diva costume change. 

• ruthie1979ruthie1979 Posts: 794

Also, I'm still planning on changing into the gold dress for the dancing part of the evening. I thought about it and I want to be more comfortable and look more non-traditional for the actual party element of the day. Plus you know, two dresses! I tried the dress on again and I still love it:

It needs a bit of a hem though, especially if I'm wearing it with trainers. I've also ordered The Crown x Glory glitter bow veil in old gold to match.

Oh wow this is stunning - love the dress!! xxx

So they re-ordered my dress! Hilariously in two sizes down from what I originally ordered. The sample I tried on today was three sizes smaller than my ordered size, and it was a perfect fit other than that I couldn't lift my arms above a 90' angle. So we ended up ordering a size up so that my arms would have the full range of movement. The rest can just be altered down. 

That means that if I would have kept my original dress, the majority of the dress would have had to be altered three sizes down, without accounting for any further weight loss. 

My dress is now due in July and I'm excited about it again. 

• VegasLouVegasLou Posts: 820 New bride

Fantastic news about the dress and well done on the weight loss! 

Our invites got sent out and we're starting to see RSVPs trickle in. Still in love with our design.

^ one of my friends on instastories :)

I'm very happy with the way the seals turned out. We experimented with a bunch of options (inc. glitter glue sticks) and in the end went for wax sticks that you can feed into a glue gun, which was the easiest and least messy way of doing it. We went for a turquoise pearlescent wax which worked really well and wasn't hugely expensive (about 70p per wax stick).

We've had loads of positive feedback on our wedding website too. I totally recommend Wix, it was spectacularly easy to set up and it's so simple to manage RSVPs via the site.

Yay for RSVPs.  We sent ours out last weekend, and have had hardly any - dying to get more!

britbird wrote (see post):

Yay for RSVPs.  We sent ours out last weekend, and have had hardly any - dying to get more!

It's actually really gratifying when they start coming in. People who we expected to decline (they live in Canada) have RSVP'd yes so we're thrilled!

• LizzieBHLizzieBH Posts: 196

Wow - your invitations are gorgeous!! How could anyone say no to that? ;) 

britbird wrote (see post):

It's actually really gratifying when they start coming in. People who we expected to decline (they live in Canada) have RSVP'd yes so we're thrilled!

Oh how exciting!  We hardly have any- it is driving us mad!  

It's five years today since A and I got together and we're celebrating with a meal out this evening (we celebrate all of the anniversaries ever - any excuse for some nice food and drinks).

In other news my Crown & Glory fascinator arrived and I am not keen at all. It's not particularly well made (the veil is weirdly bunched) and the bow keeps slipping down the headband as it isn't fixed in place. I'm definitely not wearing it at my wedding reception. Luckily it was only £32, so I haven't wasted too much money as I can't return it as it was a custom order.

The hunt continues for something fun to wear on my head with my gold reception dress.

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,907 New bride

That's a shame, is there anyway you could modify it, maybe by sticking the bow in place?

Happy anniversary :)

After the royal wedding on Saturday I tried on my headband and my veil and flounced around my bedroom in them while A was downstairs. I'm back to being excited about getting married now, I was getting a bit bored of it all again.

I've also ordered another reception headband, and I think this one is going to be way more successful. I found someone on Etsy who does these crazy extravagant jewelled headbands and they look amazing.

I've ordered this one:

But in this royal blue/gold colour scheme to match my blue gazelles and my gold reception dress:

I can't wait for it to arrive!  

• Barbie3Barbie3 Posts: 340 New bride

that's awesome!