October 2018 - An Unconventional London Wedding

• Elz2017Elz2017 Posts: 316

That is gorgeous! Amazing with the gold dress...

• DandelionBlueDandelionBlue Posts: 1,448 New bride

I have been MIA for a while but just caught up on your thread. Live the gazelles and your headband. 3 dress sizes, that's incredible. It's good that they are re-ordering it.

• weatherwaxeweatherwaxe Posts: 848 New bride

I've just bought H2B's wedding ring. We're doing this thing where he bought mine, and I'm buying his, rather than just using our joint wedding fund. I got a much better deal out of this as his was like a fifth of the price of mine!

Inspired by me he wanted an interesting wedding ring, rather than a traditional platinum, white gold or yellow gold band. In the end we've gone for something very different and I'm so pleased with it.

We picked a black high tech ceramic, koa wood and abalone shell ring from Happy Laulea, which is a jewellery shop based in Hawaii. We've gone very international with our rings as my engagement ring came from Atlanta, my wedding rings from India and now his is from Hawaii.  I love it so very much and can't wait for it to arrive.

Oh wow. I absolutely love that ring. It's so unique. I wish my other half wanted something similar. Gorgeous

150 days to go!  It's all feeling impossibly real now, with less than 5 months to go.

I feel like I started off mega organised, but it's all kind of falling away from me now. We still have so much to do and it's a little overwhelming.

I/we still need to sort out what we're doing with flowers, hair and make up, cake flavours and colour, favours, music choices, wine choices, suits, décor choices, guest transport - the list feels endless.

Also A still hasn't picked his best man/men and his indecisiveness/reluctance to actually choose from his large friendship group is pissing me off. How hard can it bloody well be?  Just pick someone argghhh!

weatherwaxe wrote (see post):

150 days to go!  It's all feeling impossibly real now, with less than 5 months to go.

I feel like I started off mega organised, but it's all kind of falling away from me now. We still have so much to do and it's a little overwhelming.

I/we still need to sort out what we're doing with flowers, hair and make up, cake flavours and colour, favours, music choices, wine choices, suits, décor choices, guest transport - the list feels endless.

Also A still hasn't picked his best man/men and his indecisiveness/reluctance to actually choose from his large friendship group is pissing me off. How hard can it bloody well be?  Just pick someone argghhh!

Just tell him if he can't pick one he's not having any. 

Recognise that feeling of things being overwhelming. I'm thinking (hoping) this is normal, we're less than 4 weeks and nowhere near sorted; OH has suggested we just do a load of ordering/play list picking/etc this weekend whilst trying wine from various places (then ordering that...) Hopefully it might feel a bit better once that's actually done... Maybe give that a go - just ticking some of the nonsense off the list will probably be a good thing, even if it feels like a chore! 

5 months to go is AGES! 

• Hullass1972Hullass1972 Posts: 606 New bride
    Elz2017 wrote (see post):

Recognise that feeling of things being overwhelming. I'm thinking (hoping) this is normal, we're less than 4 weeks and nowhere near sorted; OH has suggested we just do a load of ordering/play list picking/etc this weekend whilst trying wine from various places (then ordering that...) Hopefully it might feel a bit better once that's actually done... Maybe give that a go - just ticking some of the nonsense off the list will probably be a good thing, even if it feels like a chore! 

5 months to go is AGES! 

The playlist selections might get interesting the more wine is tasted hahaha

Elz2017 wrote (see post):

5 months to go is AGES! 

Oh I know it's ages, but the whole point of us having a 13 month lead time from engagement to wedding is that I didn't have to do very much in the last six months (oh the naivety!).

Also, totally agree with Hullass1972 regarding wine drinking and playlist deciding, it definitely has the potential to get very interesting!

Don't know what you both mean at all...  

Yeah, a year out it's 'oh we have ages, we have to wait to sort that, it's far too early' then a few months away it's all 'Shiiiiiit, why did we leave this til now?"

I'm all about concentrating on the important thing - wine - and just hoping the rest kind of falls into place after a few phone calls and emails... it's incredible what seems to get added to the list over time though!

I know exactly how you feel. I hit exactly the same panic mode last week when I realised their are only four months left and I was about two months ehind on what I had planned to get done. But I hot quite a lot done over the last week do feeling mildly better. I'd recommend sitting down, looking at the lust of things you still have to do and create a plan of action. Then just chip away  at things. 

A' s wedding ring has arrived and it is LOVELY: 

It's a tiny bit small (he got it stuck on his finger) but fingers crossed after a smidge of weightloss and less humid weather it should fit fine. 

Also, my reordered wedding dress is in, but I'm not going to be able to go in and get it for another ten days or so, which is frustrating. We're off to Cyprus in a couple of days and I just don't have the time to go in before we fly out. I'm desperate to see if the newly ordered size actually fits me now. 

Also means I have to be good now while I'm away as the fear that it might be too small is strong. 

Wow the ring is really pretty.

Great that your wedding dress has arrived, but kind of annoying that it will ruin your holiday plans. I'm sure that indulging a tiny bit won't mean you cannot fit into your dress. Just be very active during the holiday.

• Sian91Sian91 Posts: 829 New bride

You seem so much more organised than me- loving the ring and fingers crossed for the dress! 

DandelionBlue wrote (see post):

Wow the ring is really pretty.

Great that your wedding dress has arrived, but kind of annoying that it will ruin your holiday plans. I'm sure that indulging a tiny bit won't mean you cannot fit into your dress. Just be very active during the holiday.

I'm sure it will be fine, considering my original dress was ordered three sizes too big, and the dress that I ordered was a size bigger than the sample that I tried on (and fit into almost perfectly) when we re-ordered. I'm just waiting for the next thing to go wrong with it!

I got an email from the Etsy lady who is making my reception headband last night. The headband is now completed and she sent me pictures to approve before she posted it off. It is so pretty - way nicer than the Crown & Glory fascinator:

I'm hoping it is just as vibrant in real life. I can't wait to receive it and try it on with my reception dress.

I got back from my holiday last night and arrived back to an exciting wedding package. 

My reception headband is here! I am in LOVE with it: 

It goes perfectly with my reception dress (and wedding shoes) and also works with my blue gazelles for when my feet get tired. 

Now I need to arrange to go in and try on my wedding dress. Slightly nervous as I was not good on holiday. Still I'd rather know if it's tight sooner or later so I can take drastic action if needed! 

• I love that hairband (and all of your wedding choices to be honest). Could I be cheeky and ask the name of the seller? 

Your headband is stunning and as always super unique. I love your style!

Bluemagpie wrote (see post):

I love that hairband (and all of your wedding choices to be honest). Could I be cheeky and ask the name of the seller? 

Of course, it's ShinyBeautyStore on Etsy. They have a bunch of beautiful stuff. They didn't originally do this hairband in royal blue, but I asked and they were happy to make me a custom band for the same price as the original. Definitely recommend them :)

Thanks for the headband love everyone, I kept getting it out and wearing it around the house when h2b was out for father's day yesterday. I absolutely love it.

In other news, I weighed myself after my Cyprus trip and I haven't put on any weight which is AMAZING. I'm going to pick up my wedding dress on Wednesday so this is great news.

I've also decided on my wedding nails. In typical fashion I didn't want anything boring. But also didn't want to go too 'out there'. I saw these on instagram from a London based nail salon I follow and I am in love:

It's also 130 days to go tomorrow. It's crazy to think that in another month's time I'll be down to double figures (and still so much to do!).

• britbirdbritbird Posts: 1,486 New bride

Argh, so scary.  We are at 110 days, and I am in panic mode.  Love the nails by the way!

• VegasLouVegasLou Posts: 820 New bride

Oh I love the headband, it’s going to fit perfectly with your shoes and those nails. 

So I have finally written a to do list of everything that still needs taken care of and it is HUGE and SCARY:

Pre wedding prep:

Arrange transport for any additional decor/clothing/props to Metal Work

Arrange Bridal party H&MU timings with Lipstick & Curls

Arrange photographer timings with Marianne

Arrange for cake delivery on morning of wedding

Organise for bouquets and buttonholes (flowers still need to be decided on – arrange meeting with E to discuss this and Metal Works to discuss recep flowers) to be delivered to Bride. Volunteer to pick up Buttonholes for Groomsmen (one of best men).

Ceremony:

Song choices – guest entrance (x4), bride entrance (x1), register signing (x3), exit song (x1)

Find a person to be responsible for the music

Find someone to transport confetti to ceremony

Service options (choice between five

Readings (1 or 2, who to read, what to read)

Transport after ceremony (potential prosecco for journey?)

Check with famalam what group photos (if any) people care about. Not sure if we (B&G) care about group photos?

Reception:

Need to book additional tasting and figure out wine choices

Courtyard decor finalisation (colourful lanterns, pom-pom giant skull, family photo garlands, Jesus positioning, welcome magnetic sign wording,  courtyard flowers, tattoo station positioning, guest book positioning (still need to DIY the fucker too), photo booth garland, yay balloon, table plan)

Dining room decor finalisation (rows of colourful lanterns, dining room flowers, centrepieces (see additional bullet point), place names, favours, table names, round or rectangle tables, table runner colours, dj set up and dj booth positioning)

Centrepieces (atm current desires are skulls, colourful/glitter pumpkins, peacock feathers in vases, flowers, ivy, possible books (I saw a box at metal works), candles, table numbers and coloured runners)

Cake (flavour choices, decoration of cake, cake toppers, positioning of cake. Trial vegan/nf/gf dessert option and arrange delivery)

DJ (provide DJ with song preferences, sort out set up requirements and timings)

Photobooth – prepare signage and garland for above door, acquire ipad for photo taking, sort out photo hosting (poss app to do photos and hosting)

Favours (trial favour flavours, prepare favours, attach stickers to bottles and deliver to venue. Arrange for kid/vegan favours)

Make decisions on extra booze and what additional beers spirits and liqueurs we would like stocked

Speeches (who is doing a speech? Current ideas are bride, groom [v short speech saying thank you], grooms dad, best woman, one of best men)

Sort out special meals for fussy individuals, vegans and people with allergies

Bride (not much, the bride is on top of all of her personal shit):

Pick up wedding dress

Complete alterations (now booked!) on wedding dress

Arrange for reception dress hemming

Groom:

Tell best men that they are actually the best men and they can wear whatever blue/navy suit they already own

Groom outfit 1 x custom navy or blue suit with waistcoat. Lining and waistcoat allowed to be fun bright colour. Shirt, shoes, cufflinks. (Alan to supervise tailoring of suit and suit fabrics)

Sort out ties and pocket squares for groom and best men. Sapphire/Royal blue preferred but would also allow fuchsia or magenta

Ask R if he would be happy to do a reading at ceremony

Other stuff:

Hen party

Stag Party

Family meet up night before wedding?

• britbirdbritbird Posts: 1,486 New bride

I promise you, this is not a huge amount.  Please don't worry! 

britbird wrote (see post):

I promise you, this is not a huge amount.  Please don't worry! 

There is so much happening in our personal lives at the moment and still seemingly so much to do. We both had a bit of a meltdown last night. I am trying to be more organised with everything!

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,954 New bride

I'm sorry, but Jesus Positioning really made me laugh!!

MrsCToBee wrote (see post):

Our venue has a jesus statue as one of their props. It is ESSENTIAL that we put this somewhere. I really want to put it in the men's toilets next to the urinals :D I will probably get outvoted on this.

My dress fits! 

Actually it's a bit big - about a size bigger on my waist and shoulders and half a size bigger on my boobs. I'm not even remotely concerned about that though, that's easily fixed at alterations. The main thing is that it isn't a sack like my original dress, and isn't too tight. It's such a huge relief!

It is now sat at home in my spare room. It feels like a huge milestone to have my dress here and ready for alterations. 

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,954 New bride
    MrsCToBee wrote (see post):

Our venue has a jesus statue as one of their props. It is ESSENTIAL that we put this somewhere. I really want to put it in the men's toilets next to the urinals :D I will probably get outvoted on this.

I've followed your whole thread as it all sounds so amazing, but I still guffawed 😂 Maybe you could have him at the bar turning water into wine?? 😉