October 2018 - An Unconventional London Wedding

• Sian91Sian91 Posts: 829 New bride

Love the ring! We're having confetti earrings made for the Mums as a thank you. Were Buttonsy good? 

Can't wait for the parcel to arrive!

• Sian91 wrote (see post):

Love the ring! We're having confetti earrings made for the Mums as a thank you. Were Buttonsy good? 

Can't wait for the parcel to arrive!

Buttonsy were great - super quick delivery and really beautifully packaged. Would def. recommend.

• Good old Parcelforce, being completely useless as usual. They delivered my parcel today, despite my instructions. Luckily my neighbours were getting carpets fitted so there were people next door to accept the parcel for me. 

So my robe and nightie are here and they are so pretty: 

It looks better in real life, and when I've laid the fringe bits down properly (and do excuse the mad hair) but I'm so happy with it. I am so looking forward to swooshing around on my wedding morning. 

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,137 New bride

Oh that is GORGE 😍 

• Ahh thank you. I love it so much. 

Here's a selfie (where I feel quite Pope-ish lol), which shows off more of the detail: 

• Table Plan

So I always thought we would just use one of my venues mirrors or chalkboard props to write on, They have an excellent selection:

However, the more I think about it, the more I think it might be too much faff.

We would have to go to the venue a couple of days before and write it out there, giving us no real chance to practice handwriting styles etc in order to get it exactly right.

I'm now debating just making my own and printing it from instantprint or vistaprint instead. I was messing around at work today and I've come up with this, which I quite like:

I think this would be much easier but I still quite like the idea of the DIY haphazard handwritten table plan instead. Something like this:

What is everyone else doing?

• Zara29Zara29 Posts: 105

Our wedding is going to have a slight rollercoaster theme... it's our hobby and we travel the world doing it.

So we've got a big A1 board that we're covering in themepark maps of places we have been and then printing the names for the tables out and mounting them on the board.

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,911 New bride

I've bought a big heart shaped photo frame which I'm going to spray gold. It has 6 slots and we have 5 tables so will put our names and date in the centre slot. Can just print them on normal paper.

Can't find original pic but here's a screenshot from my threadimage

• Zara29 wrote (see post):

Our wedding is going to have a slight rollercoaster theme... it's our hobby and we travel the world doing it.

So we've got a big A1 board that we're covering in themepark maps of places we have been and then printing the names for the tables out and mounting them on the board.

That sounds great - really quirky and different!

• MrsCToBee wrote (see post):

I've bought a big heart shaped photo frame which I'm going to spray gold. It has 6 slots and we have 5 tables so will put our names and date in the centre slot. Can just print them on normal paper.

Great frame - how big is it? It looks large!

• MrsGtoBMrsGtoB Posts: 712 New bride

I love the first one 😍 it makes me feel happy looking at it!

We are using wine bottles and the labels will have names on. All our tables are named after our favourite wines so it fitted.. 

Full on creasing at the table names at 6.35am- I forgot how good they are! 

This might sound obvious but writing freehand is tough, so  vistaprint is the least stressful option. Or her vinyls cut to stick on one of the mirrors? 

I’m handwriting on a vintage chalkboard (think school roller board) and I am not looking forward to it 🙃🙃🙃

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,911 New bride
    weatherwaxe wrote (see post):
    MrsCToBee wrote (see post):

It's not enormous, the slots are standard 4 x 7 photo size. Our venue have an easel to put it on.

• MrsCToBee wrote (see post):
    weatherwaxe wrote (see post):
    MrsCToBee wrote (see post):

It's not enormous, the slots are standard 4 x 7 photo size. Our venue have an easel to put it on.

Ah, great find!

• Sian91 wrote (see post):

Full on creasing at the table names at 6.35am- I forgot how good they are! 

This might sound obvious but writing freehand is tough, so  vistaprint is the least stressful option. Or her vinyls cut to stick on one of the mirrors? 

I’m handwriting on a vintage chalkboard (think school roller board) and I am not looking forward to it 🙃🙃🙃

So far I'm leaning towards the vistaprint option, just for lack of faff. I love a school roller chalkboard - I've always wanted one! Sadly have zero sensible places to put it though.

• My blue bracelet and studs came in last night. I bought them to wear with a pair of sapphire earrings my mum bought me and an infinity pearl bracelet I already planned to wear. I LOVE the bracelet - it's so much nicer than I expected it to be for £15.

• We had three RSVPs drop out this weekend. For good reason (they live in Canada and their son has an immune illness and they've been advised not to travel for the forseeable future) - obviously their kids health is way more important than our wedding, so we completely understand. 

I'm on the Bridechilla community on Facebook (which I totally recommend btw, it's wonderful) and a bride posted some signs that she's going to use at her wedding. She kindly put the templates up and I'm in LOVE with this Princess Bride ones and now want to use them but I have no idea where. 

We also ordered some nice wine as presents for A's groomsmen and my brother: https://www.waitrosecellar.com/wine-type/clos-st-michel-chateauneuf-du-pape 

And we ordered A's and the groomsmen's ties. We wanted complimentary but not matching ties. Hopefully they go together and we both like them. I'm currently not convinced they will. 

A has ordered a seahorse tie from M&S for himself: 

And we've ordered some magenta geometric ties (also from M&S) for the groomsmen:

I also ordered a royal blue tie from TM Lewin and a white and blue trimmed pocket square for my brother, who is walking me down the aisle:

• weatherwaxe wrote (see post):

We had three RSVPs drop out this weekend. For good reason (they live in Canada and their son has an immune illness and they've been advised not to travel for the forseeable future) - obviously their kids health is way more important than our wedding, so we completely understand. 

I'm on the Bridechilla community on Facebook (which I totally recommend btw, it's wonderful) and a bride posted some signs that she's going to use at her wedding. She kindly put the templates up and I'm in LOVE with this Princess Bride ones and now want to use them but I have no idea where. 

We also ordered some nice wine as presents for A's groomsmen and my brother: https://www.waitrosecellar.com/wine-type/clos-st-michel-chateauneuf-du-pape 

And we ordered A's and the groomsmen's ties. We wanted complimentary but not matching ties. Hopefully they go together and we both like them. I'm currently not convinced they will. 

A has ordered a seahorse tie from M&S for himself: 

And we've ordered some magenta geometric ties (also from M&S) for the groomsmen:

I also ordered a royal blue tie from TM Lewin and a white and blue trimmed pocket square for my brother, who is walking me down the aisle:

I LOVE the seahorse tie!

• My lipstick saga has now been resolved. I'm sticking with the Bobbi Brown and will blot furiously before the ceremony to avoid transferring half my face onto my groom, and then reapplying for the rest of the day.

The texture is just miles nicer than the matte liquid lipstick I was considering. I'm wearing it today and it's so comfortable and moisturising,

Although I'm now starting to doubt my wedding hair. During my trial I said I wanted soft waves, something v subtle and elegant, but I'm now thinking I want stronger waves/curls and more volume. Same sort of style, just more oomph. Here's my trial:

And here's what I was thinking:

Thoughts? I'm not sure if I'm just having a wobble or if I really do want to change things up.

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,137 New bride

Ooooh I love the one with more oomph. Plus it’ll probably fall (if it’s anything like my hair) in to more of the first style by the evening anyway, or you could brush it out, so you’d have two hairstyles to match your two dresses. I’d do it. I think the extra volume with the red lip would be amazing. So Hollywood! Is there any way you can have another trial so you can decide? If not, on the day if you’re not happy with it your hairdresser could probably brush it out enough to get back to the smoother style if youre not keen.

• MrsS85MrsS85 Posts: 688 New bride

I agree with everything Ashley said so well above, go for more oomph!

• I also like the one with more oomph and th I k it will naturally fall into the first style over the course of the day. 

Love the seahorses tie

• Another vote for the one with more oomph! It looks gorgeous and with your lipstick shade you'd end up with a lovely Hollywood glam look!

• OK so I have emailed and asked how much a second trial would be. I might end up hating it, but I'd rather try it and see than not bother at all! 

Also, two new table name books arrived today :D 

Scouts in Bondage and Other Violations of Literary Propriety (a book about dodgy old book titles -  Invisible Dick anyone?) and The Bible & Flying Saucers (which seems to be a book about how Jesus was really an alien and the parting of the red sea was the work of aliens).  

There was another called The Manly Art of Knitting but I couldn't bring myself to pay £12 for it. 

Yesss! I like the oomph hair(: you’re naturally very pretty so think you can rock anything anyway! 

Loving the scout book😂

• I have my first fitting tomorrow. I tried my dress on and it still fits and does up easily which is a relief, as I have totally put weight on. 

Not looking forward to having to lug my dress on the tube though, but I refuse to Uber to literally the other side of London. 

The groomsmens ties have been sent back, though A loves the seahorse tie. Instead we've ordered some plain pink ones that compliment A's tie perfectly. 

I also spoke to my wedding H&MU lady and she's totally on board with the bigger hair. She said it wouldn't be an issue at all and I didn't need a trial unless I really wanted one. As another trial is £75 I've decided to pass and just go for it on the day. Even if it sucks she can still brush it out to be like the first trial anyway. 

I think trusting her on the day sounds like a good option :) Your trial shows she's got the right skills anyway. 

Love the new ties and thinking keeping your oh's as something special is a good idea :)

Hope the dress fitting goes well!

• Fitting was fine, although I'm not going to be picking my dress up until October 18th, which is slightly alarming - i might see if I can get that moved forward. I'm getting the length taken up, my shoulders taken in and my waist taken in, which is costing £187. Although I did have some drama (as per usual with bloody David's Bridal) when they told me they couldn't accept a credit note as payment for alterations. Considering I only had the credit note as they ballsed up my order in the first place I wasn't particularly happy. 

Luckily they relented fairly quickly when I firmly told them that I wasn't happy with that at all, especially as I'd been specifically told I could use it towards alterations by the manager who was stood in front of me telling me she couldn't accept it. 

Honestly, I love my dress but I wouldn't recommend DB to anyone. There's just been too many mistakes and crap customer service. 

First they ordered the wrong veil (hence the credit note, as my actual veil was much cheaper), then they ordered my dress in three sizes too big and don't bother to tell me when it's arrived, then they tell me they can't accept my credit note. I'm fully expecting them to balls up my alterations somehow and I'll have to do last minute alterations. Fingers crossed that something goes right for once! 

On a happier note, here's a picture of my dress mid-fitting, looking quite shapeless lol: 

I also asked my Grandma for a brooch for my bouquet to use as my something borrowed. She's given me three and says I can keep them. They're all lovely and I think I like the cameo the best: 

I also received some Etsy deliveries too. 

Two more glitter bags (unpersonalised) - the blue one for me and the gold/bronzey one for my mum: 

And two necklaces, an agate slice and a turquoise crystal. I couldn't decide between the two when I was looking for a necklace for my reception dress, but I'm going with the agate. 

I'm going to be so unhappy when all this wedding stuff is done with. I like receiving lots of random packages almost constantly!

Your dress looks lovely and I also really like the cameo (:

I’m going to miss wedding post too aka best post in the world! I’m so excited to see ‘what we got today’ when R comes home from work haha!