October 2018 - An Unconventional London Wedding

• MrsHowgateMrsHowgate Posts: 1,400 New bride

Can’t believe you won’t be collecting your dress until so late! It’s my first fitting tonight. Nothing much will be done because it doesn’t even fit so how the seamstress is going to know how much of a gusset etc to use I don’t know and no length, bustle of additional boning support will be able to be done until the next appointment 3rd October. I’m looking at alterations carrying on until the week of the wedding 😟 I am hoping they stick to the budget estimate they gave me of £250. I have budgeted £350. If it’s anymore then I don’t know what I will do because there is nothing left!

I am going to miss the wedding posts and planning but I so can’t wait to be married now and have my dress fit.

• Love your dress!! I'm thinking of having a tea/calf length too. I tried on several dresses at David's in Watford and I didn't love any of them, or the sales assistant 

Because I'm set on short, it limits the shops you can go to. But I've booked several appointments for my week off in November. 

• MrsHowgate2B wrote (see post):

Can’t believe you won’t be collecting your dress until so late! It’s my first fitting tonight. Nothing much will be done because it doesn’t even fit so how the seamstress is going to know how much of a gusset etc to use I don’t know and no length, bustle of additional boning support will be able to be done until the next appointment 3rd October. I’m looking at alterations carrying on until the week of the wedding 😟 I am hoping they stick to the budget estimate they gave me of £250. I have budgeted £350. If it’s anymore then I don’t know what I will do because there is nothing left!

I am going to miss the wedding posts and planning but I so can’t wait to be married now and have my dress fit.

I know, I'm quite concerned about how close to the wedding it is. They've assured me that it should be fine but based on previous experiences I'm not sure I believe them! I guess I have to trust them. Although I'm tempted to call up their alterations team and ask to move it forward at least by a few days to give me a little more peace of mind!

• RoseyGold wrote (see post):

Love your dress!! I'm thinking of having a tea/calf length too. I tried on several dresses at David's in Watford and I didn't love any of them, or the sales assistant 

Because I'm set on short, it limits the shops you can go to. But I've booked several appointments for my week off in November. 

Have you tried looking at Cutting Edge Brides, Fairy Gothmother and London Bride? They do lots of tea length. It's hard to find tea length dresses - most shops only have one or two which is v frustrating. That surprised me, as they seem to be hugely popular.

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,942 New bride
    RoseyGold wrote (see post):

Love your dress!! I'm thinking of having a tea/calf length too. I tried on several dresses at David's in Watford and I didn't love any of them, or the sales assistant 

Have you tried Cutting Edge Brides? They specialize in short/tea length wedding dresses.

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,942 New bride

Oops didn't see your post before I posted WW! Ignore me :)

• I will be getting my dress back shortly before the wedding too. It's do stressful. But I'm not sure there is much we can do.

I actually had the same thought as you. I'm going to miss receiving random parcels. Although my OH always has to pick them up from the post office. Do he will probably be happy when it's over.

I live the two necklaces you got. And the brooches. I didn't even think if pinning them to the bouquet. I might copy you. (Sorry). I still need to find my something borrowed.

• weatherwaxe wrote (see post):

Have you tried looking at Cutting Edge Brides, Fairy Gothmother and London Bride? They do lots of tea length. It's hard to find tea length dresses - most shops only have one or two which is v frustrating. That surprised me, as they seem to be hugely popular.

Yes, I've heard of cutting edge and Fairy Gothmother. Not London Bride I will have to check them out!! Thank you 

• DandelionBlue wrote (see post):

I will be getting my dress back shortly before the wedding too. It's do stressful. But I'm not sure there is much we can do.

I actually had the same thought as you. I'm going to miss receiving random parcels. Although my OH always has to pick them up from the post office. Do he will probably be happy when it's over.

I live the two necklaces you got. And the brooches. I didn't even think if pinning them to the bouquet. I might copy you. (Sorry). I still need to find my something borrowed.

Copy away! With the dress, it's so hard trusting people with something so important, but I'm sure all will work out in the end.

• RoseyGold wrote (see post):
    weatherwaxe wrote (see post):

Yes, I've heard of cutting edge and Fairy Gothmother. Not London Bride I will have to check them out!! Thank you 

Just realised that London Bride no longer stock True Bride, whose Brighton Belle line is pretty much entirely tea length. Any stockists who stock Brighton Belle are going to have a decent selection of tea length dresses.

• RSVP deadline is tomorrow. We've only got 7 people who haven't RSVP'd yet but I'm not chasing them anymore. We've chased now for two weeks so if they haven't responded by tomorrow they're not coming.

Amazingly 8 of A's Canadian relatives (who I totally thought would not make it) are coming and three of his Cyprus based family. We're looking at a total of 92 people, with about 25 declines. Most of the declines have been from overseas invites or those with health problems.

I also got my nails done yesterday which has made me reconsider my wedding nail choices. I originally wanted clear base with blue stars, but I got a silver glitter mani yesterday that I'm really feeling (and should be v durable, due to the glitter).

Pictures don't show how sparkly they are:

People have also already contributed towards our honeymoon experiences registry, including two people who aren't even coming to the wedding. Genuinely touched with how generous people have been - I certainly would never have expected a gift from anyone who couldn't attend. It made me quite emotional that they were so kind.

• Ooh i love your nails!  I hadn't thought of having mine glittery but as my colour scheme is purple and silver it might be nice to have glittery nails to fit in with that! 

• Kelly224 wrote (see post):

Ooh i love your nails!  I hadn't thought of having mine glittery but as my colour scheme is purple and silver it might be nice to have glittery nails to fit in with that! 

Practical too, as I always think glitter nail polish is more hardwearing than regular, it doesn't look as rubbish when it starts to chip. I'm off on honeymoon a couple of days after my wedding, so wanted something that would last! I'm not a fan of gel/shellac polish as my nails are quite weak and my nails are always terrible after removing the gel.

• Love the glitter mani - I'm all for the glitter! xx

Fitting was fine, although I'm not going to be picking my dress up until October 18th, which is slightly alarming - i might see if I can get that moved forward. I'm getting the length taken up, my shoulders taken in and my waist taken in, which is costing £187. Although I did have some drama (as per usual with bloody David's Bridal) when they told me they couldn't accept a credit note as payment for alterations. Considering I only had the credit note as they ballsed up my order in the first place I wasn't particularly happy. 

Ughhh I really feel for you! I made the regretful choice of getting a dress from David's Bridal too and yes, it was an absolute nightmare for me too! The sales associates and managers I encountered were so unprofessional and unhelpful throughout. (At least they are consistent in that regard...)

If I were you I'd definitely push for getting that date (to get the dress) moved forward. Not to stress you out but they kept promising me a certain delivery date and that just dragged on and on. In the end it took 9 months to get a dress that had a less pronounced problem which then cost circa £300 to fix (out of my pocket of course. Heaven forbid David's Bridal ever covering costs related to *their* mistakes). So whatever timeline they give, multiply by 2 and you'd get closer to the actual delivery date...

The glitter's lovely. Really goes well with your engagement ring! x

• Urghh wedding nightmare last night. I dreamt that my photographer missed my ceremony and turned up for the reception and was like, 'so what?' when I complained.

In other non nightmare related news I've decided to buy cute pjs for my mum and my best woman who are getting ready with me on the day. I wasn't going to (thought they were a waste of money) then I saw a friend of mine's photos where her maids were wearing random outfits and it didn't look as nice.

Especially as I am wearing my robe of dreams

I decided against the usual robes as they never fit right and I think can be a bit exposing for people. Also it's the end of October and it might be cold. So I bought two complimenting, but not matching button down pj sets from ASDA for £15 each. I think they're great:

If anyone is looking for cheap bride to be and brides tribe vest tops and shorts, ASDA also has two sets at £4 each atm: https://direct.asda.com/george/womens/nightwear-slippers/bride-to-be-pyjama-set/GEM549126,default,pd.html

• Also I just sent off final numbers, food order and plan off to my venue which is slightly terrifying. Six weeks to go!

Also I just sent off final numbers, food order and plan off to my venue which is slightly terrifying. Six weeks to go!

I did that yesterday! Just got to wait for the invoice to come in now 

• Love the PJs! xx and eeekkkkk to sending off final numbers xx

• A bit more wedding prep today. We wanted to hang strings of childhood photos on some large windows in the courtyard of our reception venue. So today I've been sekextiss pictures, printing them onto photo paper and creating the garlands. 

I think they look pretty good! 

A also goes in for his second suit fitting tomorrow which is exciting. I can't wait to see it!

• Your photos look awesome - I've just got back from printing off lots of photos too for "our story" book which I'm looking forward to filling tomorrow hopefully.

I have my "final" fitting on Tuesday so hoping it is perfect as we fly on Saturday! The bridal shop are going to pack it into my hand luggage for me and then I will collect it on Thursday or Friday so very close to the day but they have been awesome throughout so I'm not worried.

Loving all your updates as usual xxx

• A picked his suit up yesterday and it's lovely. I'm not going to post a picture of him in it as he's quite private but it's really nice and looks great. I'm so happy.

My wedding venue had another colourful event the other day and it's made me so excited for our wedding:

I also ordered some circular black tags to write guest food choices on. I'm going to attach them to the wooden chalkboard hearts we bought to use as place names.  

It's all boring wedding stuff at the moment. Making payments, writing lists, creating playlists etc. We've now fully paid up our reception and ceremony venues, so now we only have final payments to the photographer, cake maker, dj and routemaster to make. I'm so pleased we have an all-inclusive wedding venue as bloody hell, it makes the amount of suppliers you have to wrangle much more manageable.

• Wedding is 30 days tomorrow.

I spent most of last night doing place cards and menu choices. 3 HOURS and I made 40 of these:

Going to attempt to visit the jewellers this weekend to see about having my ring cleaned and soldered to my wedding rings. There is so much boring crap to do now that I'm really not looking forward to. Day itineraries for the bridal party, supplier details, blah blah blah. I really can't be bothered but it's kind of important.

• MrsS85MrsS85 Posts: 688 New bride

Wow not long now, Your place names look great.

• I get married this month!!!

26 days to go. Bloody hell.

And A's dad decided in his wisdom, 16 days after our RSVP deadline and after being chased several times, to let us know that two guests who hadn't RSVP'd were coming. Cue a full explosion of anger from me.

Every single one of the people involved in this have been married - surely they get it? I refused to back down though as our final numbers have been submitted, our venue is fully paid off and I refuse to do the table plan AGAIN. So we've agreed that they can come as evening guests, but they're not coming to the meal.

I'm still hugely cross about it.

I also took my engagement and wedding rings in to the jewellers to be soldered together and cleaned. It also turns out that my wedding rings are half a size smaller than my e-ring, so I'm getting them made the same size so they're easier to solder together. So I'm now e-ringless until the wedding!

I now have the most ridiculous pink tourmaline placeholder ring. It's massive and I love it:

• Yayyyyyyy for being october brides ❤️

• It's so weird. The closer the wedding gets the more chilled out I'm getting. I genuinely have no nerves. A and I were talking about the wedding last night and he feels exactly the same. I don't know whether it's because I'm now past caring (lol) or because I know I'm marrying the right person and that's all that really matters. I feel quite zen, which is a weird experience for me!

I bought A his wedding gifts yesterday. I had a hard time with this as he's not really a hipflask or cufflinks guy. He also never wears a watch, so it would be a huge waste getting him one.

I decided on an engraved buffalo leather wallet:

Some dumb space socks (since his mum died he always complains that no one buys him socks anymore):

and as he's a massive nerd, a Warhammer board game that he's been pining over but I told him was too expensive (it's £80!!! which is ridiculous for a board game).

So we have one sensible present, and two not so sensible ones.  

Oh and I forgot, I also ordered this extremely cheesy wedding card :D

• I know exactly what you mean about feeling chilled the closet things get!! I can't believe it's so close now time seems to be flying by.

I love that wedding card and the gifts you've got for your other half. 

• MrsGtoBMrsGtoB Posts: 712 New bride

Love your gifts but especially LOVE the card.

• That wallet looks really nice. And I live your cheesy card!!

Not long to go now.

I also feel quite den. Quite a few things are going wrong in the final run-up. But I think I'm just so happy about marrying him. I think that must be it