October 2018 - An Unconventional London Wedding

• Candice9Candice9 Posts: 230

I love that cheesy card!

I'm feeling pretty chill also, though I still have a month left so am sure the stress will ramp up again soon!

The wallet arrived last night and it's lovely. I love how distressed it looks. It smells great too but then I love the smell of leather.

Speaking of smells, I'm still trying to figure out a wedding scent. I'm a huge perfume snob and also massively into masculine scents. I love smoky, woody, spicy, leathery scents like Terre De Hermes, Oud Wood and Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford. I also really like incense heavy scents like Avignon by CDG (I basically want to smell either like a sweaty cowboy or a catholic church).  Oud Wood is my fragrance that I reach for the most. But I'm thinking it might be too masculine for a wedding day?

Then the other part of me is why change the way that I smell for my wedding? I get so many compliments when I wear Oud Wood (Hilariously A got chased around a shopping mall by a woman once - she thought he was wearing it, but it was me) that part of me thinks I should just go for it?

What is everyone else wearing - what sort of smell are you going for?

• I went and spent way too much at jo malone haha (got matching body wash and cream and separate scent - apparently it's all about layering ... Who knew!).

I can't remember the exact ones I picked but its a lovely warm, earthy, autumnal scent. I'm not a big one for fancy perfume usually but wanted something special that when I wear in the future I link with the wedding. 

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,137 New bride

Your wedding card has really tickled me! Wallet is a great idea too, I do love a monogram. I am the opposite though and balk at the smell of leather!!

For perfume I can’t decide. I’ve never really had one signature perfume I chop and change! I do quite love this though as I’ll then smell one in a shop or maybe spray a tiny bit in an old bottle and instantly am reminded of a certain period in my life, or a particular holiday etc. I often don’t wear perfume to airports so I can find one from the past and sit and reminisce on the flight!

I have worn Hermes Elixir de Merveilles for a couple of years now as a going out perfume and love it and H2B loves it on me. Its a sort of heavy woody citrus which sounds the opposite of somethig I would think I’d love but it’s gorgeous on. I also really love the Hermes Rhubarb and Mandarin colognes and wear them often but find they don’t last particularly well which is a bloomin’ shame given they’re not cheap. I am hoping I can find something both of us love on me with the Jo Malone route so that I can layer it up with cream etc to make it last. If you wear one perfume consistently though then I think it’s nice to wear it as you’ll smell like you, but as I change mine all the time I want something new and special.

• Candice9Candice9 Posts: 230

I really really want champaca absolute by Tom Ford,  am obsessed with it but it's so pricey.  Am dropping some heavy hints with him so hoping to get a tiny bottle as a wedding present!

• weatherwaxe wrote (see post):

The wallet arrived last night and it's lovely. I love how distressed it looks. It smells great too but then I love the smell of leather.

Speaking of smells, I'm still trying to figure out a wedding scent. I'm a huge perfume snob and also massively into masculine scents. I love smoky, woody, spicy, leathery scents like Terre De Hermes, Oud Wood and Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford. I also really like incense heavy scents like Avignon by CDG (I basically want to smell either like a sweaty cowboy or a catholic church).  Oud Wood is my fragrance that I reach for the most. But I'm thinking it might be too masculine for a wedding day?

Then the other part of me is why change the way that I smell for my wedding? I get so many compliments when I wear Oud Wood (Hilariously A got chased around a shopping mall by a woman once - she thought he was wearing it, but it was me) that part of me thinks I should just go for it?

I love woody, male scents too and always go for deep, musky smells. The Jo Malone Myrrh & Tonka is beautiful and is unisex. We bought a bottle in Abu Dhabi on the way home from Australia in February and I love it because we can both share the smell. 

• Hullass1972 wrote (see post):
    weatherwaxe wrote (see post):

I love woody, male scents too and always go for deep, musky smells. The Jo Malone Myrrh & Tonka is beautiful and is unisex. We bought a bottle in Abu Dhabi on the way home from Australia in February and I love it because we can both share the smell. 

I love the smell of Myrrh and Tonka bean so this sounds heavenly. I love Jo Malone but for some reason it doesn't last five seconds on my skin. It's a constant source of irritation.

I think I'm going to go for my usual. It's the smell that my h2b associates with me and it has lots of good memories. I also have the Oud Wood body oil too so I'm going to layer it up.

• Our cake maker dropped round some icing samples today as she wanted to give us a number of options on the colour blue our cake is going to be. I genuinely love our baker - she's so thorough and has huge attention to detail. I love that she goes the extra mile. 

We're both currently leaning towards the top colour - the 50/50 mix. 

Things like this are completely crazy though - yet another wedding based decision that you never thought you'd have to make in a million years when you first started planning a wedding. 

• 2.5 weeks to go and a little bit of wedding drama to test my zen like attitude. 

Firstly, I got my last haircut before the wedding and my hairdresser slipped when shaving my undercut back in and now I have a 2p sized bald patch behind my ear. EXCELLENT STUFF. 

I was very chill about it though and my hairdresser was SO apologetic. Currently praying to the hair gods that it'll grow back enough so that I can re-shave everything to the same length in about a weeks time. I think there's a high chance that it'll be completely fine. At least I'm not having an up-do! 

Secondly, my cousin and her 3 year old son can no longer come to the wedding. She didn't request the time off and she's a nurse and quelle surprise! She's rota'd in to work that weekend. 

I had a bit of a meltdown as we've LITERALLY JUST sent the table plan off to be printed. And we've paid everything off. A calmed me down though by saying we don't have to do the table plan again. If she doesn't make it those seats will just end up being empty on her table. She is still trying to get someone to cover her shifts, but who knows? She is genuinely gutted and knows she's messed up, which I guess makes it better. 

I am trying to maintain my chill, but I am sorely being tested at the moment. 

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,454 New bride

I'm sure your hair will grow back in time, I don't think that will even be noticeable in a week!

Your husband is right, don't worry about the table plan - it would be worse if you got them taken off it and then she does manage to get the day off.

• Two weeks tomorrow everyone! I was lying in bed last night going 'how did it get so close'? I'm still amazed.

We have a busy weekend ahead of us. A needs to buy some shoes, we need to start making the favours and bottling them up and we need to start packing things into boxes and labelling them.

We just found out our wedding planner is on holiday the week before our wedding and only gets back the night before. It shouldn't be a problem and I trust her and her team but it's still a little nerve wracking!

A's suit waistcoat is still to come in and I still don't have my rings back from the jewellers. I'm also going in to pick my dress up next week from being altered. Fingers crossed it's fine. I haven't seen it in a month! I am expecting the worst so I'm not disappointed if it still needs further alterations.

Hen party is next weekend, and there may be the option to meet up with A and his stag do later on in the evening as we're both staying in London and both having ours on the same day. I really like the idea of that actually.

I have bought my outfit. It's not very traditionally hen party at all. But then I'm not very traditional. Also, it's a London hen and no one dresses up to go out in London, so going out in a tight dress and heels would be weird.

I've bought a pair of black coated jeans from Simply Be which are crazy flattering in a way that I didn't expect:

and I'm going to pair it with a black wrap top I bought from AX Paris. The whole look is something like this:

I also bought a pair of black flats from ASOS. Comfy and pretty!

• Also I just got an email from work. Apparently my work gives you £150 worth of John Lewis or M&S vouchers when you get married!

I've chosen M&S for the foooooood.

Also, I've just ordered a pink heart umbrella in case it rains:

Currently it's set to be sunny and 15c, but I'd rather be safe than sorry!

• A;s suit is complete! We picked up his waistcoat today and bought wedding shoes from John Lewis. The finished look is great: 

We had a very productive wedding weekend. The favours are all done, all our crap is boxed up for transport to the venue and A's outfit is now completed. 

Also my hen party outfit is now finalised. The original top came and was dreadful, Completely see through and miles too small, I couldn't get my boobs into it. Bought another at Westfield today and it's much better. Channelling my inner Goth: 

You both look fab!

• Cecilia13Cecilia13 Posts: 425 New bride

You look great, love the new top! 

• EEEEEEEK WEDDING TWINS , ARE YOU GETTING AS NERVOUS AS ME.? XX

• GettingWed1803 wrote (see post):

EEEEEEEK WEDDING TWINS , ARE YOU GETTING AS NERVOUS AS ME.? XX

Haha, I'm OK at the moment. Nerves are starting to kick in though! I was doing signage last night and nearly threw the sign across the room as it wasn't working how I wanted it to. I have this jittery excitement feeling in my stomach :D

Although I just checked the weather forecast for our honeymoon and it's stormy as hell, so that is my main worry at the moment :(

• 10  DAYS TO GO!

Ahhhhhhhhhh!!

We are 97% ready to roll now. The majority of stuff is packed up and A is delivering it to the venue this morning. Playlists are all sorted for ceremony music and wedding breakfast, hair has been dyed black:

The only thing left that is important is to pick up my wedding dress and e-ring and wedding rings (both happening tomorrow). Everything else is just minor details! Oh, and the hen and stag, which are both happening on Saturday.

I spent the majority of last night fluffing confetti. I can't be bothered to put it all into individual cones or packets, so we've just chucked it all into a nice box and are going to ask one of the groomsmen to stand at the exit at the ceremony so everyone can grab a handful as they walk outside:

That seems much more sensible and low effort.

My best woman also got her hair dyed for the wedding and it is AMAZING. I'm so pleased: 

Haha, I think a lot of brides might be upset if their bridesmaid rocked up with bright pink hair but I'm thrilled. She'll match my bright colour scheme perfectly :D

It's all coming together now. My fancy-pants hotel offers a 'bath ceremony' whatever that is, so I've booked it in for 10pm the night before the wedding. The plan is for me to meet up with my family who are travelling down from the North East on the Friday evening, have a meal and a few drinks and then chill out with my bath and go to bed. I'm trying to keep it as low-key and stress free as possible.

• And I have my dress! Not without a little bit of drama, but I don't think Davids Bridal are capable of doing anything minus a little bit of drama.

So I received a voicemail at 8pm last night telling me to call the store as they needed to talk to me. I didn't see the message until 9:30, by which time the store was closed.

I called them back this morning (it took multiple attempts before someone answered) and it turns out they'd booked my appointment when no one from the alterations team was available and needed me to reschedule. So I rushed to the store on my lunch break.

Dress is great, zero issues with the alterations (which is a huge surprise - I was expecting problems). So I'm now sat here at work with my wedding dress next to me! GOD KNOWS how I'm going to get it home on the tube in rush hour.

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,137 New bride

OMG so exciting!! I hope your boss has some compassion and let’s you slope off a bit early! 

• Eeeek! I'm so pleased you finally have your dress and it's all good to go!! Just put on a real resting bitch face and wave the dress bag around as you move with it, people will get out the way or get hit! 

Your bridesmaid looks just like a girl in my halls of residence first year of uni called Jude!

Can you treat yourself to a cab just for one day?

• I think I'd round up someone in the office to go for a drink to celebrate having your dress and then head home once the rush had died down!

• Yep, my work let me go early. I can make up the time either this evening working from home or over the next few working days before the wedding. 

So I'm now at home and my dress made it safely back :D One less thing to worry about! 

• I also got my wedding ring back yesterday after having it and my e-ring soldered together. I'm wearing it today just to check that everything is as it's supposed to be, and then it'll go back into a box for a week!

It looks like this:

Still so very much in love with my set. It's not particularly traditional, but it's very me.

Also, at 11pm there was a knock at the door and this was on the doorstep for A:

It looks like he's going to have an interesting stag!

• MrsS85MrsS85 Posts: 688 New bride

Glad you got your dress picked up and home without any problems, Love your nails too. Hope you have a fab hen and stag, the stags seem to have put a lot of thought into their surprise parcel - go boys!

• 4 DAYS TO GO (not including today)!

I had my hen party this weekend, and I only really have one photo from right at the beginning of the night, which I think is the sign of a good evening!

It went really well. I was a bit nervous about getting a bunch of people who didn't know each other that well together, but it was fine. There was an issue (as there always is in large groups), of some people not paying their fair share when it came to splitting the bill for the meal, but other than that it was a lot of fun.

I spent all of yesterday deeply hungover on the sofa. Now to start on the last few bits and pieces before the wedding.

I finish work on Wednesday, and I was going to get my lashes LVL'd, but I don't think I'm going to have time. It's definitely not important in the scheme of things though.

I need to write a list of duties for groomsmen/bridesmaids, and a schedule for the day and a list of contacts. We need to download our ceremony songs onto a device and arrange for someone to play them. I need to deliver my reception outfit to my venue and print out a copy of our ceremony reading for A's brother. It's all just bitty things now.

• Ahhh you are so close now!!

And bloody he'll you had a lot to cope with in the last few days. I would have been quite upset about the hair. How is it coming along. And any news about your cousin?

Love your hen do outfit. And wow you left it close to the wedding! But sounds like you had an amazing time.

And your cake maker is super thorough!

I would recommend that as well as doing a list of tasks for everyone, that you talk everyone through the schedule. I had a very detailed list and yet people still weren't sure when they needed to be there.