October 2018 - An Unconventional London Wedding

• Friends of mine got married at Islington Town Hall, it's a lovely venue and it was a great service.  Enjoying your thread so far.

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,137 New bride

Ooh what a unique venue, I've never heard of it! It sounds so reasonable too for everything you get and I bet you can do SO much with it to make it really fun and different. 

I've never heard of anyone getting married at Leadenhall Market, I love it there especially coming up to Christmas. I think your chosen venue is so much cooler though! The registry office room is just on the right side of fancy to make for nice photos without being too much! 

• Ashley72 wrote (see post):

Ooh what a unique venue, I've never heard of it! It sounds so reasonable too for everything you get and I bet you can do SO much with it to make it really fun and different. 

I've never heard of anyone getting married at Leadenhall Market, I love it there especially coming up to Christmas. I think your chosen venue is so much cooler though! The registry office room is just on the right side of fancy to make for nice photos without being too much! 

It turns out that they don't actually advertise. I did find listings on Tagvenue etc for corporate hire, but they don't advertise that they do weddings anywhere other than their website and on a facebook page! They tend to book out based on word of mouth, which makes me even more thrilled that they popped up when I was randomly searching wedding blogs for London based weddings!  Definitely a hidden gem.

• MrsTraceyMrsTracey Posts: 835 New bride

Wow, what a stunning venue, so unique and special! X

• VegasLouVegasLou Posts: 821 New bride

Wow I love your venue! What an amazing place, can't wait to see what you do with it. 

• So I've started to think about the dress and it's actually been causing me a lot of stress and hand-wringing which is stupid as I always thought that choosing your dress was meant to be the fun part!

I never wanted to get married until I met A and I never really thought about the big white dress and the veil etc. When we got engaged, my first thought was that I would get a nice evening gown in a vibrant colour but the more I'm looking at dresses, the more I'm stepping away from this idea.

I was also contemplating ordering online. I found an amazing designer who is based in Romania who makes made to measure pieces but the fear is creeping in that things aren't going to sit right and are going to need a lot of altering, or just won't suit me after all.  And then I won't be able to return it as its a custom made dress.

I've been very anti-wedding and anti wedding industry for quite a while and the fact that I'm now potentially buying into all of the things that I swore I didn't want is stressing me out. I know its stupid, but I feel like I'm betraying my beliefs or something.

It also doesn't help that A once told me that he'd be disappointed if I walked down the aisle in ' a basic white dress' (his words). SIGH. I really don't want him to think that I'm compromising or 'selling out'.

Also, adding more stress is the fact that I'm a plus size bride, which automatically makes things more difficult. I'm currently a size 18/20 and I'm hoping to get down to a size 16 by the wedding. I don't want a huge weight loss, as its important to me that I still look very much like myself, but I'm hoping to get back to where I was when I first met A. That would be lovely.

I'm more open to a white dress now, but the fact that I'm having a city based slightly alternative wedding is making me feel that I definitely don't want a strapless poufy number. Has anyone got ideas for dresses that are plus-friendly, would suit someone with a definite belly, and aren't full skirted strapless numbers?  

• Lexie2017Lexie2017 Posts: 189

I would definitely look at having something made for you. That way you can get something that fits, and that suits that balance between 'proper wedding dress' and something you're comfortable with. You've got loads of time and everyone ends up spending money having things altered or fitted anyway. 

I was originally going to go for colour, but two things swayed me back (mine is cream). The first is the photos - if you look at wedding photos typically they look more wedding-y where the bride is in a lighter colour and contrasts with the groom, and when I photographed a friend's wedding and she had a maroon dress I definitely noticed that as a challenge. The second is my H2B who I think would have been disappointed with me not being in a traditional colour. However, I have got a plain dress - it has a swingy skirt and I have dressed it up with an antique brooch, some very fancy shoes, and of course the massive bouquet! - and am happy with that choice as I just didn't feel comfortable in the big meringue style things and a fitted fishtail dress didn't seem to suit me as well, and I knew I didn't want to wear a long or big dress because our venues don't really suit that.

Maybe go to somewhere like Wed2B and try on some dresses to get an idea of what you like and conversely what you hate. They have a complete range of styles from strapless poufy and massive ballgowns through to quite simple.  

• Thanks Lexie, you make a really good point about photos, I hadn't really thought about that but seeing as our venue is so bright and colourful, it might actually be a good thing for my dress to be more muted so I stand out! I've seen a number of people recommend Wed2B on here for a more casual wedding dress shopping experience. I was debating going to there or to Davids Bridal to try on a bunch of dresses to get a feel for what style is right for me.
    Lexie2017 wrote (see post):

I would definitely look at having something made for you. That way you can get something that fits, and that suits that balance between 'proper wedding dress' and something you're comfortable with. You've got loads of time and everyone ends up spending money having things altered or fitted anyway. 

I was originally going to go for colour, but two things swayed me back (mine is cream). The first is the photos - if you look at wedding photos typically they look more wedding-y where the bride is in a lighter colour and contrasts with the groom, and when I photographed a friend's wedding and she had a maroon dress I definitely noticed that as a challenge. The second is my H2B who I think would have been disappointed with me not being in a traditional colour. However, I have got a plain dress - it has a swingy skirt and I have dressed it up with an antique brooch, some very fancy shoes, and of course the massive bouquet! - and am happy with that choice as I just didn't feel comfortable in the big meringue style things and a fitted fishtail dress didn't seem to suit me as well, and I knew I didn't want to wear a long or big dress because our venues don't really suit that.

Maybe go to somewhere like Wed2B and try on some dresses to get an idea of what you like and conversely what you hate. They have a complete range of styles from strapless poufy and massive ballgowns through to quite simple.  

• Exciting news! We have just paid our venue deposits, so our ceremony at Islington Town Hall and reception at Islington Metal Works on October 27th 2018 is now officially confirmed!

• britbirdbritbird Posts: 1,471 New bride

yay! congrats!

• So exciting!!

Have you thought about a tea length dress with a brightly coloured petticoat underneath? 

• SunshineSquirrel wrote (see post):

So exciting!!

Have you thought about a tea length dress with a brightly coloured petticoat underneath? 

I haven't actually, I always thought that I wanted a long dress but I'm beginning to realise that I have actually no idea what I want really. I will definitely have to seek one out to try on and see how I feel about it. 

• So I've bought my first wedding related thing, other than venue deposits etc which is weirdly exciting:

A marabou feather cape from Biba. I saw it on a bride and it looked amazing:

It might be a bit pre-emptive to have bought this, seeing as I don't even have a dress yet, but it was down to £50 in the sale and I just couldn't resist!

• So we're meeting with our favourite photographer on Monday. A thinks I'm steaming ahead with everything waaay too quickly but I'm keen to get all the big things sorted ASAP so they're out of the way and I don't have to worry about them.

We really want to hire Marianne Chua, whose photography style is v laidback and vibrant and everyone looks like they're having a ball. Her website is also hilarious: http://www.mariannechua.com/info/#faq

Here are some examples of her style:

I'm really excited!

• I love your feather cape and what a good price. Also loving this photos, I don't think you're rushing ahead, it's important to get the big things booked, they get booked so far in advance and you don't want to miss out. 

I recommend trying on as many dresses as you can to find a style you like and are comfy in. I really wanted a tea length dress but went for something completely different, I still love them though. 

• Such an amazing venue!! So lovely and different. x

• THANK YOU, weatherwaxe! I've been looking for something cover-up-py for the last few days, as it's getting chilly and I know I won't get through all day/night with just a sleeveless dress. The feather cape just popped up on eBay, but I hadn't realised it was on sale new, so I've just ordered a new one. If it's the wrong colour I can return it (unlike if I had gone with the eBay purchase and then had to fret about it for a couple of days and then resell). I absolutely love it and I am quite confident it will go with my cream dress (there are feathers everywhere in our wedding, so perfect!).

• Lexie2017 wrote (see post):

THANK YOU, weatherwaxe! I've been looking for something cover-up-py for the last few days, as it's getting chilly and I know I won't get through all day/night with just a sleeveless dress. The feather cape just popped up on eBay, but I hadn't realised it was on sale new, so I've just ordered a new one. If it's the wrong colour I can return it (unlike if I had gone with the eBay purchase and then had to fret about it for a couple of days and then resell). I absolutely love it and I am quite confident it will go with my cream dress (there are feathers everywhere in our wedding, so perfect!).

Mine arrived yesterday and it's a lovely ivory colour. I think it would look lovely with a cream dress! I'm so pleased my random purchase helped someone!

• LOL seeing this photo in full size for the first time, rather than on a phone screen. I had no idea it looked like a full on glamour shot. V impressed with the selfie filter on my phone though, my skin looks flawless! :D :D

My skin is nowhere near that nice in real life.

• DRESSES:

So my 'best woman' is coming up on the 16th and we're going to drive down to Wed2B in Bromley to get a feel for what suits me and to try on as many dresses as I can fit into!

Based on some of the comments from SunshineSquirrel and WildflowerBride I've been looking into shorter dresses and I really like this ballet length dress from Callista in particular:

I have no idea if it will look any good as I'm only 5'2 so terrified I would look stumpy in this length, hence the trying on session at Wed2B.

I'm hoping to try on a wide range - A-line, ballgown, trumpet, tea length along with corset back, button or zip back dresses so when I start looking 'properly' I have an idea of what I want.

I'm really keen to get my actual dress from a plus size only wedding dress shop, as I think they would really get any concerns I might have, and I want to support these places! I've heard some horror stories about bigger brides being shoehorned into size 10-12 samples that don't remotely fit. How are you expected to spend approx. £1k+ on a dress that you can't even tell will look right on you? 

So, Wed2B for the fun trying on session, and fingers crossed, a plus size bridal shop for the real thing! There are three places reasonably near me that stock a wide range of samples in size 14 to 32, and another one close to my bffs house that I'm keen to visit.

• Your cape is lovely! Mine (picked up just now) is a bit more yellowy I think, but perhaps that's the filter - in any case, it goes beautifully with the dress and makes a transition between the cream of the dress and the blonde of my hair! It's also really warm. I am super chuffed so thank you again (and I will stop crashing your planning thread now!)

• Lexie2017 wrote (see post):

Your cape is lovely! Mine (picked up just now) is a bit more yellowy I think, but perhaps that's the filter - in any case, it goes beautifully with the dress and makes a transition between the cream of the dress and the blonde of my hair! It's also really warm. I am super chuffed so thank you again (and I will stop crashing your planning thread now!)

Mine is def more yellowish in real life - the filter and the lighting make it look white, when its definitely more a yellowish ivory. I'm so glad it worked for you!

• So quite a lot has happened since I last posted. My best woman is coming up this weekend to try on dresses, and I've booked to attend an open day at Islington Town Hall on the 24th. I'm quite excited about viewing the place we're actually going to get married. Hopefully it looks as nice in person as it does in pictures.

I've also been looking into invitations and save the dates which is driving me slightly crackers. I never realised how picky I was regarding stationery until I started looking at invitations. My issue is that I want a style that isn't usually associated with weddings - dark background with bright colours. More like a party invitation than a wedding invite. I definitely don't want flowers or foliage on a white background with fancy text and it seems like that is 82.23% of wedding invitations. I also don't want brown card, which seems to be the rest.

I've attempted to design my own and have come up with the following which A really likes, but I'm not sure on (excuse the watermarks):

I've also started designing a wedding website to go along with the invites which I 100% do love. I never realised how easy it was! We have quite a lot of guests potentially coming from elsewhere, so it was the easiest way of getting all the information together.

(I've blocked out A's face as he has zero social media presence and wants it to stay that way).

• britbirdbritbird Posts: 1,471 New bride

I love the invites!  Also the wedding website looks great- did you do it all yourself, or use one of the wedding websites to host it?  It looks almost exactly like I want ours to look in terms of layout!

• britbird wrote (see post):

I love the invites!  Also the wedding website looks great- did you do it all yourself, or use one of the wedding websites to host it?  It looks almost exactly like I want ours to look in terms of layout!

Thank you Britbird!

I used Wix, they have a number of wedding templates you can use and it's so simple to get to grips with, you need zero coding skills. You can stick to their templates or add and change whatever you like.

The only issue with Wix is they do have two small adverts on the page advertising that the page was made with Wix. We're planning on paying a small amount of money (about £3-5 per month) to remove these, but this might be an issue for some people. We plan to pay to remove ads much closer to making the website live (next year some time), so we're not wasting money.

We bought a custom domain from names.com too which cost £10 for two years of use, which is very geeky but both of us were very pleased about.

• MrsS85MrsS85 Posts: 688 New bride

Your venue and pinterest board look lovely, Good luck wedding dress shopping at the weekend.

• So not even remotely wedding related but I've just found out that A and I have been gifted a night in a 5* hotel . His cousin won a competition, but won't be able to use it in time (it has to be used by November) so has passed it on to us.

It's in London and we live in London, so it feels a bit weird to have a night in a hotel in the city that you live in for no real reason, so I've suggested that we (if possible) choose Saturday the 28th, i.e. exactly a year before our wedding and we can make it a proper celebration.

The hotel is BEAUTIFUL:

I'm really excited!

• Amazing - I've always wanted to have a night in a 5* hotel for absolutely no reason! I've been trying to convince Mr BH to celebrate our anniversary in the St Pancras Renaissance for years. :)

• LizzieBH wrote (see post):

Amazing - I've always wanted to have a night in a 5* hotel for absolutely no reason! I've been trying to convince Mr BH to celebrate our anniversary in the St Pancras Renaissance for years. :)

I'm busy campaigning to A that I should get ready at the St Pancras Renaissance and that we should spend our wedding night there!