October 2018 - An Unconventional London Wedding

• Wow! The 5* hotel stay will be such a treat. I think doing it to mark a year before you get married is a wonderful idea. 

• weatherwaxe wrote (see post):
    I'm busy campaigning to A that I should get ready at the St Pancras Renaissance and that we should spend our wedding night there! 

OMG that would be so cool!! Although probably cost as much as the actual wedding... :( 

• Tanya128Tanya128 Posts: 1,993

What a beautiful ring shot! Love your venue. I wouldn't worry too much about being shoe horned into dresses it happens even to teeny tiny skinny Brides! I was plus sized when I started my dress hunt ended up a size 14, there are plenty of dress shops that stock larger sizes and it is good fun! 

• MrsS85MrsS85 Posts: 688 New bride

Result on the hotel break! I think its a lovely way to mark your year-to-go anniversary.

• Sian91Sian91 Posts: 829 New bride

We stayed in a beautiful apartment in St Pancras clock tower (Airbnb)- almost like the Renaissance, but dare I say better (and cheaper!). 

It's been in the Telegraph/Daily Mail/Good housekeeping etc. 

• So wedding dress trying on this weekend was postponed due to both me and my bestie being full of cold. So instead we vegged out together in front of the tv drinking whisky (for medicinal purposes obviously!) and ordered pizza.

I also realised that I have yet to discuss bridesmaids. I'm definitely having my best friend  who I met on the first day of uni and we have been really close ever since. I was also going to ask my friend L, who introduced A and I. We both thought it would be a nice touch to have her as a bridesmaid, as without L, neither of us would have ever met. 

However, something is putting me off asking her. We're not super close anymore, but we are still friends and we talk regularly, so I don't understand why I'm so reticent about asking her and why I keep putting it off. L is a bit socially awkward (she's a big introvert and admits that she needs time to build herself up to deal with social situations) so I guess part of me is worried that she'll say yes because she feels obligated but won't enjoy any of it.

I don't know what to do! 

weatherwaxe wrote (see post):

So wedding dress trying on this weekend was postponed due to both me and my bestie being full of cold. So instead we vegged out together in front of the tv drinking whisky (for medicinal purposes obviously!) and ordered pizza.

I also realised that I have yet to discuss bridesmaids. I'm definitely having my best friend  who I met on the first day of uni and we have been really close ever since. I was also going to ask my friend L, who introduced A and I. We both thought it would be a nice touch to have her as a bridesmaid, as without L, neither of us would have ever met. 

However, something is putting me off asking her. We're not super close anymore, but we are still friends and we talk regularly, so I don't understand why I'm so reticent about asking her and why I keep putting it off. L is a bit socially awkward (she's a big introvert and admits that she needs time to build herself up to deal with social situations) so I guess part of me is worried that she'll say yes because she feels obligated but won't enjoy any of it.

I don't know what to do! 

Maybe this is a bit out there, but what about asking her to be your witness if you want her to be involved? Or do a reading if she would feel comfortable with it?

• Sian91 wrote (see post):
    weatherwaxe wrote (see post):

So wedding dress trying on this weekend was postponed due to both me and my bestie being full of cold. So instead we vegged out together in front of the tv drinking whisky (for medicinal purposes obviously!) and ordered pizza.

I don't know what to do! 

Maybe this is a bit out there, but what about asking her to be your witness if you want her to be involved? Or do a reading if she would feel comfortable with it?

Asking her to be a witness is actually a really lovely idea. I would never have thought of that! 

I think she'd be totally comfortable with that as its not a 'spotlight' role, but it still means that she's involved, which both A and I would really like.

• MrsW-22MrsW-22 Posts: 354 New bride

Hi. Been a bit of a stalker on your thread being a London bride myself. Though marrying in surrey. 

If you are bear Bromley. Can I recommend bridal 88 in Morden for dress shopping? I went there on my own for my first dress experience the ladies were lovely they had lots of styles of dresses to try on and they really helped me get over my fear of dresses. (I'm size 20/22).  I didn't end up getting my dress from there as I fell in love with a dress in a shop in ashted called brides visited. But it was anyway first experience! The store is a designated store for plus size brides. X

• Fiona98 wrote (see post):

Hi. Been a bit of a stalker on your thread being a London bride myself. Though marrying in surrey. 

If you are bear Bromley. Can I recommend bridal 88 in Morden for dress shopping? I went there on my own for my first dress experience the ladies were lovely they had lots of styles of dresses to try on and they really helped me get over my fear of dresses. (I'm size 20/22).  I didn't end up getting my dress from there as I fell in love with a dress in a shop in ashted called brides visited. But it was anyway first experience! The store is a designated store for plus size brides. X

Fiona thank you, the more recommendations the better as far as I'm concerned! I'll certainly check them out :D 

• Flowers:

I have always loved flowers and often randomly buy myself fresh flowers for around the house. We're very lucky in that our venue will be supplying a large quantity of flowers for us (in the style of our choosing). One of A's family friends used to work at a florists, and she has already offered her services for any flower related needs.

It's a very nice position to be in as this helps the budget a lot!

Our venue has the option of both circular tables or long rows of tables. We're more keen on the circular tables as its more social and I would really like some tall colourful dramatic centrepieces for the middle of each of the tables.

I'm quite lucky in that I'm drawn to cheap flowers (sunflowers, gerbera daisies, daffodils, tulips, gladioli and even the lowly chrysanthemum). I was thinking of using lovely tall orange, pink or red gladioli in a thin clear vase, with gerbera daisies in little vases or jars at the bottom. Something like this:

I think this is very simple but very effective. I also like the pink (hydrangeas??) at the bottom of the gladioli.

Bouquets:

I originally also wanted gladioli in my bouquet but I think they might be a bit massive and I'd get fed up of carting them around. I still love the look of them though:

I tend to prefer a more loose, less structured bouquet, and I definitely want colour. I only want to use flowers which are in season, which may limit my options at the end of October, but I'm currently liking these:

My best woman wants to wear a suit so she may also end up getting a boutonniere instead of a bouquet (or possibly both).

(These are cute).

I love messy bouquets too- the arrangement with all the blues is amazing.  

• So our year before the wedding hotel stay is booked! We're staying in an executive suite and we get a choice of perk, which is either a bottle of champagne, a three course meal at the restaurant next door (which is rated well on tripadvisor) or a champagne afternoon tea. We don't have to choose until 48hrs before, but I'm currently debating which one to go for.

I know which one feels the most valuesome, but part of me just wants the bottle of champers and to order room service, so we can properly unwind and enjoy our room!

• So my mum and brother met A's dad for the first time this weekend! I was quite stressed about this beforehand but I really shouldn't have been, as everyone got on very well and everyone really enjoyed themselves.

A's dad had laid on a feast (despite being told not to make too much of an effort) and we all drank a lot of wine. I was very pleased with how things went!

We then went to visit our ceremony venue, as they were having an open day. It cemented that the town hall was actually a really lovely place to get married, and it was much prettier in person than a number of other non-registry office venues we had considered.

We're very lucky in London to have some really attractive council buildings!

I'm also now torn, as I had just expected to get a taxi to our ceremony venue, but there was a vendor with a beautiful Rolls Royce outside, which has now made me reconsider. Although they charge £500, which might be a bit steep for what will be a ten minute journey. I may look into getting a wedding taxi instead. I've seen hire of vintage fairway taxis for £250, which seems a bit more palatable, and they look great:

• Wow what a lovely gift, the hotel looks amazing. I wouldn't know which added gift to choose eithe, at least you don't have to decide yet. 

Loving the flower inspo, very pretty. I think asking your friend to be a witness is a lovely idea And your ceremony venue is gorgeous. 

• Elz2017Elz2017 Posts: 316

Loving everything about your wedding planning so far - the venue is amazing, absolutely in agreement about chair covers and 'chair bras' as we call them, that cape is spectacular and I wonder if they have them in black... 

I'll be interested to see what you do about wedding make up, looks like your usual style is similar to mine, quite bold, and make up artists don't seem to love that for weddings... :-)

Can't wait to read more!

• So after my save the dates / invitations time line thread yesterday, we have now picked invitations! We decided against designing them ourselves in the end - too much faff.

Instead we're going with a woman we found on Etsy. I think a lot of people will find the design a bit odd for a wedding but we really liked them. They're bright, colourful and a bit whimsical, which is what I wanted!:

We're getting her to do save the dates, a formal invite and a hardcopy RSVP for the oldies (people will have the choice to RSVP by post or on the website), and envelopes. We're also changing the dark pink to a turquoise as I prefer that colour.

We've done a provisional guest list and have come out at 95 guests, which is waaaay more than the original 60 guests we expected. I never expected that it would come to so many people, but then my dad is one of seven kids and they all have kids who also in turn are starting to have their own children, so the family numbers have racked up quite quickly. We're also letting A's dad invite some of his friends, as he is paying for the reception.

Not sure if we're going to try and cut that number down or just accept it. We need to talk to A's dad. I'm fully expecting to have around 10-15% declines anyway as not everyone will be able to afford hotels, transport etc.

They are great, love the stags in particular. Good choice I reckon - and seems like they match your day as well!

Guest lists...  Ours seems to grow all the time, can only hope we do get declines. Quite the leap from 60 to 95, but we found that it's just impossible to knock people off, we want them there! You may ending up sucking it up and going for the 95...

• Elz2017 wrote (see post):

They are great, love the stags in particular. Good choice I reckon - and seems like they match your day as well!

Guest lists...  Ours seems to grow all the time, can only hope we do get declines. Quite the leap from 60 to 95, but we found that it's just impossible to knock people off, we want them there! You may ending up sucking it up and going for the 95...

When we first calculated, I don't think we'd thought about inviting kids or plus ones or friends and family who live outside of the UK, but we've had some comments like 'can we bring the kids' and we were like, 'yep sure' and 'can I bring XXX' and people saying they can't wait for the wedding that we thought would definitely not come due to distance!

The kids thing does send the numbers up - we've always said kids welcome and I do have my moments of regretting it!

If it makes you feel any better, we had 180 at first pass!! 60 of those were my blinking family...

• Lovely to see how things are coming along! The town hall looks great and how nice to have someone to do the flowers - great ideas!

With the invitations, be careful about counting on declines. We had 4 only out of our daytime guests and invited a lot of people who we didn't think would come who did, including 4 from the US. (We didn't have any kids, which really helped!).

Definitely look into the St Pancras apartment Sian suggested - we were recommended it but it turned out too pricey for our dates, and actually didn't make sense for us to be in that location afterwards, but our St Pancras planner highly recommended it, especially for getting ready. 

For transport you might also want to check out Addison Lee as they do a wedding package with ribbons and a fancy driver, and depending on where you need to be and when it could be more cost effective. I had wanted a London taxi but if you don't go for the expensive wedding options like you found you just cannot guarantee that there will actually be a black cab available, and I didn't want that stress. We looked at loads of options and went for their executive cars in the end as nobody would really see them - it all worked out fine and they were super helpful.

And Elz, the feather cape does come in black - it's Biba, House of Fraser, look out for sales!

Ooooo - thank you Lexie!! I'm 'aving it.

• Lexie we are seriously considering that AirBnb, if not for me, then certainly for my H2B so our photographer can get groom prep as well. Its a stunning apartment.

Also, I didn't know that Addison Lee did wedding transport. I've just had a look and I actually quite like the idea of their executive transport S-Class Mercedes option. Slightly fancy and not bank breaking!

Also v pleased that the feather cape love is spreading, I love mine! Even if I don't end up wearing it at the wedding (oh the perils of buying it before my dress), I'm definitely going to wear it to my hen do!

• I wore it at mine, there will be pics on my report thread in due course! And I am definitely planning on wearing it again - the original pic had it with a red dress, and I think it'll look fabulous with lots of other colours too. 

Bear in mind Addison Lee can't 'guarantee' the executive option, but I booked for 1.30 on a Saturday and it was all fine. If they don't bring it they just bring you a normal car and give you the normal price. The drivers were so brilliant with us though, we were a good 25 minutes late and they were totally cool and calm about it. We also hired a 1 hour executive car to drive us around and stop off for photos en route to our reception (again more to follow on my thread), similarly great service but that option isn't advertised on the website so you have to phone them. They will try to talk you into the wedding package with ribbons and so on but stand your ground if that's not what you want.

• Hair

So I've decided to grow my hair for the wedding. I currently have an asymmetric longish pixie with an undercut:  

I previously had the most amazing long beach wavy red henna hair which I ruined and had to get all cut off (hence the pixie) when I decided to get my hair permed. Worst decision ever. I love curls, and me being an idiot decided that instead of daily curling my hair, a perm would be perfect. 

Reader, it was not perfect. It RUINED my hair and turned it to straw. and I had to get it all chopped off to repair the damage.

In a perfect world I would have this hair back in time to get married, but I know that is completely unrealistic.

In reality I'm hoping to get my hair to just below chin length all over by my wedding day. I've been taking multivitamins and biotin and this has really helped with the growth. I think its at least a couple of inches longer now than it was in the top photo.

(excuse the tired eyes and work selfie, I've had less than 4 hours sleep for the past three nights in a row)

I love curly hair (hence the ill-advised perm), and would love to have some 50s Mad-Men style waves for when I get married. My current hair inspo is Reese Witherspoon and Miley Cyrus here:

I actually love everything about Miley's look here, and the make up is very similar to what I think I want too. I'm hoping I have enough hair!

I want to keep my undercut as it has genuinely changed my life and made my hair much easier to wrangle (why did no one tell me that undercuts are the best thing to happen to people with thick unmanageable hair) and I think this style would work really well with it.

• Love your invites - where did you get them from?

• Ali S 71 wrote (see post):

Love your invites - where did you get them from?

CreateYourselfDesign on Etsy, they're UK based as well and do printed and pdf print yourself options.

• fab, thankyou :)

• Lexie2017Lexie2017 Posts: 189

Your current hair is lovely! I am very jealous of its thickness. Is it worth talking to your hairdresser about the undercut and the curls though? I have no idea if that would all work together. The hair ideas look brilliant - you're lucky to have all that to play with, and it looks in great condition now.

• Lexie2017 wrote (see post):

Your current hair is lovely! I am very jealous of its thickness. Is it worth talking to your hairdresser about the undercut and the curls though? I have no idea if that would all work together. The hair ideas look brilliant - you're lucky to have all that to play with, and it looks in great condition now.

I'm going to get a speciality vintage hairdresser to do my wedding hair, as I'm not sure my current hairdresser would be able to do a more vintage style. I definitely intend to have that conversation, although I can't see it being a problem. Even with the undercut my hair is still thicker than most people who have fine hair!