October 2018 - An Unconventional London Wedding

• Wow, those cakes!!! 

• britbirdbritbird Posts: 1,486 New bride

Wow- they are so cool!

• PottyPotty Posts: 522 New bride

They’re amazing!!!!

Married September 2018, Baby due October 2019.  
  • Favours

I'm getting massively ahead of myself here, but once I have an idea in my head I like to run with it. As we're having  a late October wedding, I really liked the idea of the idea of having some autumnal boozy favours. We were originally thinking of sloe gin or a spiced rum, but then a random pinterest browsing session alerted me to how easy it was to make flavoured vodka (and cheap too!)

We're currently trialling different flavoured vodkas, including chocolate, toffee, liquorice, pear drop, and caramel. They are very easy to make, just bash up your ingredients, add to vodka and leave to dissolve for a few days shaking the mixture occasionally. You then sieve through coffee filter paper to get rid of any scum or residue.

With this idea in place I got carried away and have ordered 100 50ml bottles, which came to £42 which I thought was pretty reasonable. I worked out that we would need about 5 bottles of vodka and then the sweets, so we should be able to get all favours done for around £1.20 per person. I feel people would also appreciate alcohol more than a keepsake too!

It was snowing during my lunch break yesterday, so rather than brave the wilds of Central London I stayed at my work computer and designed some brightly coloured stickers to put on the bottles complete with cheesy pun:

I'm quite pleased with the stickers. They were mega cheap at £10 for 100 and match our bright vibrant colour scheme perfectly.

• MrsLMTMrsLMT Posts: 3,830

The favours sound fab! 

I've been snowed in the last few days so have been getting on with the wedmin. (We had a foot of snow). 

• FutureMrsThomas wrote (see post):

The favours sound fab! 

I've been snowed in the last few days so have been getting on with the wedmin. (We had a foot of snow). 

Haha we had a very small dusting (about 2cm, lol) and it still managed to bring the entire London transport system to a halt. It's honestly pathetic. I'm hoping it snows properly after I go back home (to rural Northumberland) at Christmas. Not before though, I don't trust the trains to get me there!

I live on the edge of the Brecon Beacons, you can imagine what it’s been like. Took an hour to clear the car and driveway yesterday. 

I picked up my belt this evening and it is so pretty! 

I did find out this evening that my bridal shop won't be able to store my dress after it arrives which is slightly worrying me. It's going to be a PITA to drag my dress across to the other side of London for alterations. I'm now wondering if I should look elsewhere for my alterations? 

• MrsHowgateMrsHowgate Posts: 1,389 New bride
    weatherwaxe wrote (see post):

I did find out this evening that my bridal shop won't be able to store my dress after it arrives which is slightly worrying me. It's going to be a PITA to drag my dress across to the other side of London for alterations. I'm now wondering if I should look elsewhere for my alterations? 

Gorgeous belt! It’s the same for me with my dress. They’re only holding it until the end of next month. I’m storing it at my MOH house which is an hour away from the shop. I’m not happy as they didn’t mention this when I ordered it.

Beautiful belt. I was lucky, my shop stores the dress until alterations are complete. 

• The cake is so colourful. It's fabulous. I especially like the navy one. I's also one of my pet hates if suppliers don't get back to me quickly. Makes me cross them off the list.

I love the idea of miniatures alcohol as a favour. But I just found out I cannot bring in my own :( Hadn't heard of the flavoured vodka one before. But that's brilliant. So easy to make.

That belt is so delicate and beautiful! Love it.

That is annoying that they won't store your dress. Something to ask before I buy mine (takes note). I agree, I would try and find a place nearer to you for the alterations. I live in London myself and wouldn't want to drag a dress through public transport.

• MrsHowgate2B wrote (see post):

Gorgeous belt! It’s the same for me with my dress. They’re only holding it until the end of next month. I’m storing it at my MOH house which is an hour away from the shop. I’m not happy as they didn’t mention this when I ordered it.

Same for me! It was only mentioned that evening when I paid off the last of my dress and picked up my belt. She was like 'you do know you'll have to take your dress home with you once it arrives' - um NO I was not aware!

I've now found a bridal salon about a mile away from me that also does alterations for dresses not purchased there. I'm going to look into reviews and they might be a viable alternative.

• DandelionBlue wrote (see post):

The cake is so colourful. It's fabulous. I especially like the navy one. I's also one of my pet hates if suppliers don't get back to me quickly. Makes me cross them off the list.

I love the idea of miniatures alcohol as a favour. But I just found out I cannot bring in my own :( Hadn't heard of the flavoured vodka one before. But that's brilliant. So easy to make.

That belt is so delicate and beautiful! Love it.

That is annoying that they won't store your dress. Something to ask before I buy mine (takes note). I agree, I would try and find a place nearer to you for the alterations. I live in London myself and wouldn't want to drag a dress through public transport.

Definitely something to check on as I wasn't told when purchasing and I definitely wasn't aware. I don't think it would have changed my mind (I still love my dress), but it would have prepared me better.

So my weird-ass wedding venue is hosting a lot of Christmas parties at the moment and is sharing the images on facebook and instagram and it is making me <3 <3

It takes an excellent photo.

I kind of wish I was getting married in December so I could have a Christmas tree on top of the tube carriage.

• wow, that looks amazing!

*off to look at photos of my own venues to stop being too jealous..... lol x

• Ali S 71 wrote (see post):

wow, that looks amazing!

*off to look at photos of my own venues to stop being too jealous..... lol x

Ali you're also having a quirky wedding if I remember correctly! I love the idea of getting married at a bandstand on the beach :)

• Oh. Your venue is do amazing. Super quirky. Is that a bush on a manekin?

• weatherwaxe wrote (see post):
    Ali you're also having a quirky wedding if I remember correctly! I love the idea of getting married at a bandstand on the beach :)

Fair point, lol

I may shamelessly steal your cake inspiration too..... currently dithering between naked or bright & whacky!

• VegasLouVegasLou Posts: 820 New bride

Loving the cakes and your venue looks amazing decked out for Christmas. Shame they didn’t tell you sooner about your dress, hope the nearby place works out for alterations. 

• Ali S 71 wrote (see post):

Fair point, lol

I may shamelessly steal your cake inspiration too..... currently dithering between naked or bright & whacky!

Please do! I am entirely here for people having bright fun cakes :) 

• Merry Christmas! 

I'm now back home after spending what will probably be my last Christmas at my mum's house. I got three vaguely wedding related gifts that I thought I'd share. 

The first was a very sweet stocking filler from A. I'm going on a two week Caribbean cruise with one of my good friends (it's my first ever cruise, I'm convinced I'm going to hate it lol) on January 5th and A didn't want me to take my engagement ring with me. He bought me a cheap replacement to take with me which I actually really love (the middle finger ring): 

I think he did really well to match it with my actual engagement ring. It also looks great for a £20 ring from M&S!

My mum also bought me some sapphire earrings which I plan to wear on my wedding day and a lovely little sign which is mega cheesy but really touched me as it was completely unexpected.

• Aww. Your loved onea are so sweet. I really like your "safety ring. But then I would ;)

Weird to think this was our last Christmas unmarried

• Ooh and I just realised, it's now ten months to go as of yesterday!

• MrsL-GMrsL-G Posts: 86 New bride

Your sapphire is the most gorgeous colour! I really love how you're having two wedding rings to frame it. I'm such a sucker for symmetry! 

• So after a three week break I am back! I needed a break from wedding planning as I was getting really fed up and I went on a two week cruise to the Caribbean with one of my good friends (have a picture of glorious Antigua for your troubles):

I'm very glad I didn't take my engagement ring as my cheap replacement got bashed about a bit with suntan oil and sand etc. It's  looking very dull and dirty.

Now that I'm back my desire to do stuff again has returned. My H2B booked our DJ while I was away which is another job ticked off the list. We've chosen Discowed: http://www.discowed.com/ as we loved their whole aesthetic and the fact that they are proper DJs who also do weddings. It was really important to us that we booked a non-cheesy wedding DJ and these guys seem really professional and have lots of good reviews.

I also think we've found an outfit for my best woman. it's great only having one bridesmaid/MOH etc as you have waay less stress about finding an outfit that everyone likes. She isn't mega keen on the idea of wearing a dress, so we were thinking a suit at first, but she whatsapped me with this ASOS Curve Tuxedo style jumpsuit in navy that could be a real winner:

I think its really flattering while still being comfortable, and I can see it accessorising well with some bright shoes and a colourful necklace, so its still in keeping with my bright and colourful theme. We live miles away from each other, so she's going to try it and send me some pics when it arrives. The best thing is the price, only £45! So fingers crossed that she likes it and its a keeper.  

• I've also just ordered me and my best woman a little clutch bag. Mine will be a little something cute to store my lippy and my phone during the day and hers is going to be more of a gift (I don't expect her to use it on the day).

I'm getting them both customised.  Mine is going to be a silver/white glitter base with a silver 'I DO!' on the front with my wedding date on the back in royal blue.

My best woman's bag is going to be a mermaid base with her name on the front in fuchsia metallic. She's super organised  and always has a million pouches full of pens, plasters, sewing kits etc in her handbag so I think she'll definitely get some use out of this. Very excited for them to arrive and possibly my favourite thing I've bought so far.

• VegasLouVegasLou Posts: 820 New bride

Love the earrings. Did you enjoy the cruise? I’ve done a 2 week Caribbean cruise over Christmas and I loved it. 

Those little pouches are gorgeous, where are they from please? 

Love the pouches! Gorgeous! 

Eek! 9 months! Time is starting to whizz by for me. 8 weeks and counting, 

• VegasLou wrote (see post):

Love the earrings. Did you enjoy the cruise? I’ve done a 2 week Caribbean cruise over Christmas and I loved it. 

Those little pouches are gorgeous, where are they from please? 

Thsmks, I loved the cruise, it was a lovely ship and it was great waking up in a new country each morning!

The pouch is from Threaded by Pooja on Etsy. You can have whatever lettering you want too and she's so lovely and communicative.