October 2018 - An Unconventional London Wedding

• FutureMrsThomas wrote (see post):

Love the pouches! Gorgeous! 

Eek! 9 months! Time is starting to whizz by for me. 8 weeks and counting, 

Wow, not long now! Your thread was one of the first ones I read when I joined! It's crazy that your wedding is almost here. 

• In wedding update news my future FiL apparently wants me to sign a pre-nup! A is mortified and is refusing.

I've told A I would 100% sign it if he wanted (totally not with him for his money and future inheritance) but he is so opposed to it. He thinks its a massive lack of trust and is point blank refusing to engage with his dad on the matter. I don't know if his dad will accept this or if this will cause further problems. Again, this is making me wish we'd just bloody eloped!  

• Ahh and I just got notified that my Best Woman's pouch/clutch is now ready and it's really really nice:

My bag is also ready for sewing too:

• Another sparkly bag post even though no one is reading them. I don't care, I love it so much. My bag designer posted a video of my pouch/clutch on her instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BelouX0Fkgz/?hl=en&taken-by=threadedbypooja

We also just booked in another visit with our venue to discuss décor and food choices. Our venue is amazing and provides all of our decorations as part of the price. They have a huge room filled with paper lanterns, vases, centrepiece options and different fabrics and props which I'm dying to have a look through.

We also want to discuss food. We've decided on canapés (honey mustard pigs in blankets, goats cheese and onion tarts and arancini balls) and starters (pumpkin soup and fish cakes with curry mayo) but we're struggling for main courses as we don't really like the traditional roast dinners that are usually a crowd pleaser at weddings.

As my h2b is half Cypriot we were hoping to have Kleftiko, which is a Greek/Cypriot slow cooked lamb dish. We're arranging to have a chat with the chef to see if this can be done in the time constraints as Kleftiko tends to cook for hours and hours and hours. Fingers crossed we can, but if not, we can hopefully come up with something that is still vaguely interesting but easier to cook for 100 people!

• Kelly224Kelly224 Posts: 962 New bride

Ha ha I never think anyone is reading mine either but I think a lot of people read and run like I do half the time

Bags look fab! I'm undecided whether I should bother getting a bag for myself to use on the day?

Love the sound of your food options!  Fingers crossed on the lamb dish for you!

• Ohhhhh I love Kleftiko! I'm going to ask my caterers if it's something they can do! 

Sounds like everything is going really well and loving your sparkly touches!

You sound so much more organised than us and we get married in Oct too!xxx

• Kelly224 wrote (see post):

Ha ha I never think anyone is reading mine either but I think a lot of people read and run like I do half the time

Bags look fab! I'm undecided whether I should bother getting a bag for myself to use on the day?

Love the sound of your food options!  Fingers crossed on the lamb dish for you!

Haha I definitely lurk on a number of people's threads :D As for a bag, I just wanted somewhere to put a little bit of cash, my phone, hotel keycard and lippy. I know a lot of brides go phone free or give their stuff to a friend or a family member but I don't think I'd be able to relax if I did that. For the ceremony I'll give my bag to my mum to hold, but for everything else I'd rather have it on me!

• I went to a hen party this weekend which has given me quite a few ideas for my own. It was London-based and we went cocktail making in Shoreditch where we made 5 cocktails, before heading to a private dining room for dinner and then to a bar for dancing. It was booze-filled and relatively low-key and exactly the sort of thing I would want. We all got very drunk and had a great time.

My hair is also growing well - my shorter side is now just above my chin and the longer side is halfway between chin and shoulder. It needs a cut but should definitely be a good enough length to have my hairdresser do 50s waves for the wedding.

Weight loss is going badly. I lose a bit and then lapse and put it back on again, and then lose it again and so on. I'm very glad I ordered my wedding dress in the size I am now, rather than a size down. I need to get on it though as I currently have a serious double chin that I definitely do not want in my wedding pictures! It doesn't show so much in selfies as I know my angles, but I'm DREADING getting my wedding photos back and hating them as I look faaaat.

I know I'm always going to be a bit fat as I lack willpower and enjoy food too much, but I'd quite like to be a little less fat by October :D

• I met with our wedding planner and chef this lunch time. Kleftiko is confirmed (woo hoo) and we're thinking a squash and veg wellington as a vegetarian option.

We also had a look around the props room and they have so much amazing stuff. They have vases full of peacock feathers that I'm really into, as well as these really cool bright salsa cans that we're going to fill with flowers and add to the cocktail tables:

When the planner showed me this image I was 100% ready to steal their wedding. Love both the colours and the cans and the flowers :)

I kind of wish I had met this couple as they seem to be doing everything exactly as I want it :D

We're also stealing another couple's idea of hanging up family pictures of A and I across the black tinted windows:

They have masses of stuff, including a large collection of diamante skulls, lamps, candelabras, books, bunting, lanterns, plants, vintage suitcases etc. I have so many ideas for the wedding breakfast table decorations.

We've also discussed dining room décor options. I was originally thinking of hanging lanterns or balloons down the length of the room but after chatting with our planner we've decided to do multiple rows across the width instead, for more colour, with a few disco balls thrown in for good measure. The lanterns are going to be different sizes and heights too, kind of like so:

(although totally different colours obviously). We're also going for fairy light drapes across the back wall like so:

Our planner also gave us a really great guest book idea. Vintage card catalogue with index cards for guests to leave advice or comments on. She did one and it went down really well:

I LOVE the idea, but I suspect the beautiful vintage wooden non-ruined ones are ridiculously expensive. The hunt is now on!

• the lanterns are going to look fab, and lucky you having all those other decorations to plunder!

• I had such a good time in the prop room today and I took a bunch of pictures. They have an extensive collection of the most random stuff: 

(deeply unflattering picture, but it makes me laugh)

• MrsLMTMrsLMT Posts: 3,830

Omg, the prop room looks amazing! 

• We booked our hotel room today! Well as I say we, but more of that to come later.

As our venue doesn't have any associated accommodation I've been agonising over where to stay both the night before and on our wedding night.

I originally wanted to get ready at home, but our venue is about a 40 minute drive from my house and with London traffic being the way it is, I just didn't want the stress and the worry of being mega late.

I wanted somewhere special and close to our venues. There are a couple of Hilton hotels near by which are nice but I didn't think they were special enough for such a big occasion. I definitely wanted drama and luxury!

Cue me becoming obsessed with staying in one of my favourite buildings in London, the St. Pancras:

I LOVE this building. Kings Cross is my station for catching trains home. It's where I landed when I first moved to London so it has significance to me and it's less than a ten minute drive from both of my venues and it has the most epic staircase (where the Spice Girls filmed the Wannabe video!):  

I wanted a suite (because, fancy) and to make sure that there was enough space for me, my mum and bridesmaid, photographer and H&MU to coexist peacefully in the morning.

One problem - the price. It is fairly ludicrous.  

Cue me searching extensively for alternatives. There is the most amazing AirBnB in the clock tower of the St Pancras building: https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/858705 but it wasn't available for my dates :(

We also looked at a bunch of cool quirky hotels nearby but they lacked the drama I was after (Ace Hotel, Zetter Hotel, Hotel Megaro) or were completely amazing but way too dark for bridal prep photos (The Rookery [sob]). Others were even more expensive! (Charlotte St Hotel, The Principal).

I spent several days sulking to A about not being able to find anything that ticked all of the boxes. He basically told me to shut up and that we had plenty of time. Cue this morning when I received an email for a booking at the St. Pancras Hotel. Aaaaaahhhhh!!

So I called A and he booked it this morning after getting fed up of me moaning about it. We're staying in a Grand Junior Suite and I am SO EXCITED!!

Part of me is wishing I booked a more traditional photographer now as the shots of brides on the stairs are amazing:

Marianne, my photographer did say she was happy to do some specific shots though so I'm definitely going to ask. I really want something like this:

I cannot WAIT to stay here.

• britbirdbritbird Posts: 1,483 New bride

How exciting! I love the Renaissance- such a nice hotel, and what a lovely thing for A to do

• MrsGtoBMrsGtoB Posts: 712 New bride

Oh I so want to stay at the Renaissance! We keep meaning to pop in each time we are in London but never get chance.

That prop room is amazing too!!! Can't wait to see your wedding pics.

• Coo! As you know, I got married just outside the hotel so to me it is a super-special-wedding-place! We went round all the same options as you, including that AirBNB (which was also crazy expensive), but we only live 4.5 miles away so decided on the home option instead (and then found the canal boat), but I bet you will really enjoy it - and the photos will be glorious. 

• Ahh thanks ladies, I'm really looking forward to it.

I spoke to our wedding planner today and we're sorting a Pimp your Prosecco station and a fruit salad stand to go along with our wedding cake (which we will be serving as our dessert).

We plan to serve the cake informally in the covered courtyard. We'll do the whole cake cutting thing and then the chefs will whip it away and cut it up for serving.

The plan is currently to have a selection of berries and cut fruit alongside dark chocolate sauce and whipped cream, so guests can have that as a side along with their wedding cake (or instead of cake if they're not into cake). Guests will help themselves.

Our planner is really excited about the prosecco stand as she's never had the opportunity to do one at our venue before and with all the great props they have, it should look really great.

We have agreed to a couple of liqueurs (Chambord and Passoa) with peach juice, elderflower cordial, grapefruit juice, mint and basil, and then lime wedges, berries and cut peaches. I'm hoping it will look something like this (minus the burlap sign as that's not really our vibe):

We've just bought two A4 size peg boards from ASOS to use as the signage for the prosecco station and our guest book and I love them:

Speaking of guest books I also found a great vintage looking recipe card holder to DIY my library style card-catalogue guest book. It was £20 and I'm very happy with it :)

I plan to make my own coloured patterned index cards and dividers to go along with it. Literally one of the few DIY projects I have for the whole wedding!

• The hotel looks amazing

Love the box for your guest book - great idea - where did you find it? 

• MrsLMTMrsLMT Posts: 3,830

The hotel looks amazing! 

Love the card holder! Looks fab! The only advice I have for DIY is start sooner rather than later, it takes longer than you think! 

• Ali S 71 wrote (see post):

The hotel looks amazing

Love the box for your guest book - great idea - where did you find it? 

I got it from Amazon here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00V6BGDTE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Apparently it should fit standard 6 x 4in index cards. I'm planning on doing something like this:

• FutureMrsThomas wrote (see post):

The hotel looks amazing! 

Love the card holder! Looks fab! The only advice I have for DIY is start sooner rather than later, it takes longer than you think! 

Haha considering the amount of DIY you've done I will definitely take your advice :D

• 250 days to go! Nothing much to report but I'm now thoroughly back into wedding planning mode after being all MEH about it for the past couple of months. I think it's because I now have a DIY project (my guest book) and my wedding planner is entirely on board with my vision for the day which is making me feel mega positive again.

I've now ditched Slimming World as it doesn't work for me. Telling me I can eat as much lean meats, fruit and veg and pasta etc as I want isn't helpful to someone like me who doesn't eat a lot of junk anyway. My issue is massive portions of things.

A bag of crisps that are like 100 cals  counts as 5 syns and 100g of avocado is 9 syns. When you only get 15 a day it feels ridiculous. I'd rather calorie count. I lost three stone previously calorie counting so fingers crossed I can get similar results.

I think I want a new veil. I have a nice one from DB which is ivory tulle with beading along the edges but part of me wants something more fun. I LOVE the Crown and Glory veils and I'm debating getting their ombre veil made in fingertip length in a royal blue dip-dye:

They have some AMAZING veils but they're very pricey and don't really go with my dress. This one is £75, so infinitely more reasonable than the majority of their range which is £150+.

• Also, I forgot - we booked our appointment to give notice of our wedding. We're giving notice on March 9th, and it's making everything feel very real!

• Makes total sense re SW - I love the diet but portion control is my issue too so calorie counting works better for me!
    Loving the veil xxx

And yayyy for appt for giving notice - exciting times xx

• Randomly bought a wedding cake topper this morning. It was in the sale! They're so stupid but I love them:

I was originally looking for pink flamingo toppers  but these little guys spoke to me on a deep and meaningful level and I just had to buy them.  

• VegasLouVegasLou Posts: 820 New bride

Oh wow that hotel is amazing! I’ve driven past many times but never been inside, now I must pop in for coffee next time I’m in London. The props room in your venue is fab and I love the lanterns. 

Thanks for  the purse link, yours are gorgeous. 

• Alternative desserts for guests with allergies

I've been thinking about this for a while. As we're planning on serving our wedding cake as dessert and our cake is not vegan, not guaranteed nut free and not gluten free we definitely wanted to provide an alternative dessert option for those with specific dietary needs as we have a coeliac, a couple of people with nut allergies and at least one vegan. 

We are also serving fruit salad as an accompaniment to the cake, but I personally feel that's a massive cop out as a dessert option, and people with specific dietary needs must get so fed up of bloody fruit salads instead of a proper dessert. 

We wanted an option that was ve, gf and nf combined, so we don't have to faff on with multiple options. It's been tricky as a lot of places are gf but not nut free, or vegan but not gluten free etc. We've finally found  a bakery that can accommodate all of these as well as also being really tasty and I'm so pleased. 

We're going with their donuts which can be made nut free as well as vegan and gluten free and they are so pretty. I currently can't decide between the  differently flavoured round donuts and the vanilla flavoured (with different chocolate coatings) heart shaped donuts: 

The heart shaped ones are more wedding appropriate, but the regular ring donuts are more interesting flavours! They're a bit pricey at £38 for 12 regular sized or 24 mini doughnuts but honestly, I'm willing to pay it to make sure that everyone gets a proper dessert. 

• Sian91Sian91 Posts: 829 New bride

Those doughnuts look fabulous, I can just imagine them looking so appealing stacked up and definitely not a 'cop out' option. 

If you ever get the chance to stay in the St Pancras AirBnB, do it! We stayed there 3 years ago and it was incredible. 

• vinitavinita Posts: 33

What a beautiful rings, I really love that and sorry to hear about losing it. 

No actual update but I'm been faffing about after having the house to myself this morning wearing my veil and cover up. I do really like them both together after all. I've also been testing skirt poof levels with multiple petticoats.  The above picture is with two petticoats and I like the skirt volume a lot. One doesn't quite have the volume I'm after, and three is way too much,

Although I'm now debating getting a waist cincher to give my waist a little more definition as It's a LOT of fabric. I like this one from What Katie Did: https://www.whatkatiedid.com/products/waspie-waist-cincher-glamour-nouveau?variant=45457284110