The 'subtly us' wedding

• I'm from Cornwall and so have spoken to a lot of the companies you probably are re: furniture hire! I'd just explain your situation which I'm sure they've heard a lot before! 

We've just given our Marquee company a rough idea of how many people we're inviting / expecting, then closer to the time we will give accurate numbers and the final invoice will be adjusted to reflect :) Same with catering etc! :) 

I'd start asking if people are interested in coming when you send out your STD and that way you should have a rough idea of response too :) 

• Sian91Sian91 Posts: 829 New bride
    DandelionBlue wrote (see post):

Wow. Sounds like you have booked quite a lot already. And how lucky are you to know do many people who can do things for the wedding.

I am a planner just like you. Must have been difficukt yo wait. But R did so well. What a beautiful spot for a proposal. I really want to visit Canada at some point.

We went to Cornwall this year. Such a pretty part of the country. I am sure your venue is fab. And it's great you found a photographer who will do a session on the beach.

We are hoping to get married in September 2018. So we might end up as date twins. Although seeing how much you have got done already is giving me anxiety.

I am trying to get things done as I can- and try and spread costs out. I knew wedding were pricey but I always thought the £25k 'average wedding' was a myth...trying to sort my own wedding- I think it would be very easy!

Viewing the venue was actually the first time I'd ever been to Cornwall, but it's going to be lovely having a connection in such a beautiful part of the country.

I'll be honest for months it felt like nothing was happening until we found the venue/got closer to the viewing. Then it all came together very quickly! You can definitely do September- just find a venue and a date!

Melaniee wrote (see post):

I'm from Cornwall and so have spoken to a lot of the companies you probably are re: furniture hire! I'd just explain your situation which I'm sure they've heard a lot before! 

We've just given our Marquee company a rough idea of how many people we're inviting / expecting, then closer to the time we will give accurate numbers and the final invoice will be adjusted to reflect :) Same with catering etc! :) 

I'd start asking if people are interested in coming when you send out your STD and that way you should have a rough idea of response too :) 

Ah awesome- I think we're going to reach out to them soon, R is back from his jollies- I mean work trip...so Save the Dates should be out in the next few weeks. So far everyone I've spoken to has seemed positive.

Although I have started debating buying chairs if nothing else, R thinks I'm crazy; but he knew that pre proposal. Wait til he sees the 7' Chalkboard we're collecting Thursday for the table plan (the building used to be a school so I thought it was a nice nod to that) and the hurricane vases and candles lurking under the bed haha...

It feels like we're really clear on our 'vision' now and beginning to pull things together (and I'm off to a wedding show this morning which will hopefully help me see the gaps)

Chalkboard now has pride of place in our front hall- you can see from the door frame just how big it is, I've been having a practice of the calligraphy welcome that will hopefully be in situ. but mostly discovered that a certain naughty word beginning with F is the most satisfying word to write in script. NOT wedding appropriate haha. 

R has decided he definitely wants a green suit (I really like this as something different) and at 6'5 it's probably going to be bespoke...

i like the pinky/purpley colours in this bouquet and think they work nicely with the green- bonus is the purple/berry kind of colour will look lovely on my bridesmaid. 

Which puts are colour scheme in this kind of range...we happened to pop into tiger yesterday and I was overjoyed like yes- look this is the colour palette that's been in my head. R thinks I'm insane (even more so than pre wedding) but is still agreeing that we should get married. 

Last one...look at the decorations on this cake- we were planning naked cake- but look at this!image

• Congratulations! Your pictures are fab! Looking forward to reading more😘

• I love your ring pics! The scenery looks amazing. And is there a bird on your hand in the lake picture? Beautiful!

Love the sound of your wedding already, nice colour scheme too! 

New to this- Thank you! there is plenty more to do/write about!

TartanBrideToBe- It was absolutely stunning, we're desperate to go back in the summertime to see when the snow is melted. Yes-  it was Grey Jay (Whiskey Jack) that landed on a nearby tree, so I stretched my hand out and it flew onto my hand quite happily.

The Wedding Fair

I came away with a few ideas, a whole load of paper and tried on my first dress. It was beautiful (House of Nicholas 2227) but nothing like I think I want and it was a few sizes too big. I was struggling to picture it in the right size even clamped up, so I left it. But I feel like I've gotten over my 'dress anxiety'. Did anyone else feel super nervous about going dress shopping?

DECOR

I really (and I mean really really) love candles, and our venue has no restriction- woo hoo! If I'm being completely honest, if you weren't allowed any naked flames I think it would have put me off. 

So yesterday we popped over to Notts because I wanted a new piercing, then obviously got distracted by the shops...

We bought these from H&M- I've just popped some of the flowers we had at home in to see, but could imagine something gold and then a thistle or something similar with some gypsophilia. They were in the sale but still full price on the website...so I did what any rational person would do and cleared the shelf. So we have 6 of these...

We then went to Sostrene Green, which is one of my favourite shops wedding planning or not and picked up three of these hurricane vases to go with the five I've already acquired online...

So candle count is now...36 mini candles (like tiny yankee jar size), 7 hurricane vases and 6 caged candle sticks...more to come haha

We're off to the 'Wedding Event with the difference' today- R has agreed to come and I think he's looking forward to it!

THE DRESS

I've been putting off dress shopping because I wasn't really sure what I wanted. But I've been contacted this week and I'VE WON A HUGE DISCOUNT ON A BESPOKE DRESS!

Safe to say I've got pinterest happy and my head is spinning with ideas- when we first got engaged, my Mum offered her dress for me to wear. Although it was safe to say that the 80s style wasn't what I had in mind. But it does have a fair bit of lace...I was debating asking my Mum if she minded some of the material being incorporated into my dress. But not sure what she'll say- I like the idea, but not sure if she'll be keen if I have her dress butchered.

Has anyone done this or had a bespoke dress made?

I'm only 5'1 so also save on all the alterations- woohoo!

This morning's DIY attempt!

Obviously need more practice but would love to have some of our favourite 'love song' lyrics (mostly pop punk) on the side plates. Just one of my ideas on the 'subtly us' theme...half the guests won't know they're lyrics let alone who the artist/what the song is😃

In the last few months a lot has happened

I went dress shopping, and tried on a lot of dresses...

imageimageimageimageimage

But none of them were quite right...I couldn't shake 'the dress' from my head that I'd seen on the internet. I was convinced that the Maggie Sottero Deidre dress was the one and called lots of stores until I could find one near my size. 

I tried it on and loved most of it...but I really wasn't keen on the skirt overlay. Lots of internet browsing later and I'm going down the bespoke route. At only 5'1, dress shopping was much better than I thought it was going to be and dresses being too far away from my size was the challenge. Even being pinned, I found it hard to grasp what it would really look like. 

Overall dress shopping was a pleasant experience and I'm glad I took the opportunity to take both my Mum and R's Mum. 

• MrsM2018MrsM2018 Posts: 142

Just found your thread and I am absolutely loving your plans so far especially your colour scheme. It’ll look stunning I’m sure. I was so apprehensive about dress shopping I almost went bespoke but I found the right store makes it less stressful.

Look forward to reading more :)

MrsM2018 wrote (see post):

Just found your thread and I am absolutely loving your plans so far especially your colour scheme. It’ll look stunning I’m sure. I was so apprehensive about dress shopping I almost went bespoke but I found the right store makes it less stressful.

Look forward to reading more :)

Ah thank you- do you have a planning thread?

I went to one particularly lovely store (the last dress sequinned dress), but I was so torn between wanting something 'cool' and it being a once in a lifetime thing...I would LOVE LOVE LOVE a jumpsuit, if only I could get married twice...

Bespoke is my attempt at having my own way, without sacrificing the 'classic' bride

• MrsM2018MrsM2018 Posts: 142

Hi Sian, no planning thread. I can't even keep a diary so I know I wouldn't update regularly haha

Love the idea of a jumpsuit, I was toying with getting one made for my reception, but it would break H2B's heart. You could always stay a traditional bride for the ceremony and then change into something cooler, but that is another expense :s

• Just caught up on all your plans :) out of interest who have you gone with to make your dress? I was also looking at the bespoke route x

MrsM2018 wrote (see post):

Hi Sian, no planning thread. I can't even keep a diary so I know I wouldn't update regularly haha

Love the idea of a jumpsuit, I was toying with getting one made for my reception, but it would break H2B's heart. You could always stay a traditional bride for the ceremony and then change into something cooler, but that is another expense :s

I am terrible at keeping everything updated on this thread...I'm the same, I do want classic bride but I see shoots etc with jumpsuits and fall in love all over, I'm umming and ahhing whether to have a change!

Kaybridetobe wrote (see post):

Just caught up on all your plans :) out of interest who have you gone with to make your dress? I was also looking at the bespoke route x

I found someone locally at a wedding fayre, it worked out comparable cost to what I was looking at in shops and I can have exactly what I want.

• Just having a read of your thread and have to say your ring is one of the nicest I've seen! What a gorgeous landscape for a proposal too! 

In the last 10 days, I’ve done some shopping, including rose gold cutlery,slate placements, napkins and shoes. 

We’re hoping for this kind of look...sourcing trestle tables is high on the list! 

And I couldn’t miss the opportunity for a show flash- its not everyday you get married, so I’m having two pairs haha

• Loving your jewel coloured wedding theme and am massively jealous that you can have naked flames.

A bespoke wedding dress sounds really interesting. I haven't read that yet on the forum. Did you end up asking your mum if you can use the material of her dress. I honestly think it's a really nice idea.

Love slate place mats with copper cutlery.

DandelionBlue wrote (see post):

Loving your jewel coloured wedding theme and am massively jealous that you can have naked flames.

A bespoke wedding dress sounds really interesting. I haven't read that yet on the forum. Did you end up asking your mum if you can use the material of her dress. I honestly think it's a really nice idea.

Love slate place mats with copper cutlery.

Unfortunately her dress had gone yellow in storage, such a shame as she unboxed it for the first time in 30 years ): Makes me wonder what to do with mine after the wedding

Cancelled plans due to the snow meant I got out some wedding decorations to have a play! 

We visited our venue and met our photographer for an engagement shoot earlier this week. All in all a successful trip and a sunny few days in Cornwall (even though it was grey and moody for the shoot). Can’t believe we’re getting married in such a beautiful part of the world, so here’s a few cheeky iPhone photos!

These are a few of the photos of our engagement shoot that the photographer has sent over and we get the rest after Easter but safe to say we’re happy with our photographer choice! 

Yesterday’s pick up was an Italian Style Tea Trolley which  will have our cake on and use as a treats table in the evening. These are just a few pictures from the ebay listing (my thread should probably be called My Big Fat Ebay wedding haha).

imageimage

We also visited my Grandma a few days ago and she has lent us the cake knife she and my grandad used for their wedding cake and my parents used for theirs! I didn’t know this existed and I am so happy to be able to use something that’s passed through the family! My grandad was a massive part of my life and will be missed dearly from the wedding, even though it will have been nearly 10 years since he passed.

Now keenly looking for a cake stand to pull it all together!

• ruthie1979ruthie1979 Posts: 794

WOW that is awesome! Love it - I do love a good eBay find!! xx

I absolutely love ebay! Picked up 118 more jars to add to the 100odd we have for spares (not sure how many people I think are coming to the wedding) and some led candles for the bookshelves of the venue. 

I want to get cracking with our wedding website this weekend, but not sure what to use- I was thinking of the one that links to prezola where our giftlist will be (name escapes me now). 
    Ive also bought some bar essentials..
    Andddd started the wedding diet! I have about a stone to lose, and a lot of toning up to do- operation fit wife is go! 
    ruthie1979 wrote (see post):

WOW that is awesome! Love it - I do love a good eBay find!! xx

• MrsS85MrsS85 Posts: 688 New bride

All your plans sound lovely, you have done so well hunting out all your bargains! Love your engagement shots too.

• DandelionBlueDandelionBlue Posts: 1,240 New bride

So many things to catch up on!

The trellis in your living room looks amazing. Can you come to my venue and do the same ;)

Your engagement shoot looks amazing. Such a beautiful location and your pictures are exactly like I hope ours will turn out to be.

Such a cool tea trolley too. I'll say it again, I am in love with your style :)

• MrsBeehanMrsBeehan Posts: 378 New bride

Hey!

I don't know how I've missed your thread but now I have finally read it! Loving your plans. I laughed at your picture posing with your sandwich as he hadn't popped the question hehe!! I love the way you write, you sound like good fun :)

The proposal was lovely, I know what you mean about how lovely and private it was, we love to escape on a walk and not see anyone for hours.

Looking forward to reading more!

Thank you! I love love love ebay and trying to make the wedding more ours.
    Our photographer was fab! Cannot wait to see the rest.
    MrsS85 wrote (see post):

All your plans sound lovely, you have done so well hunting out all your bargains! Love your engagement shots too.