Forum home Your planning threads

Possible to register soon - and have full wedding day another date?

hello all, 

i hope this is the right kind of place for this post - unfortunately my lovely mum has very recently been given a few weeks to live, and considering my boyfriend and I have been together 8 years and feel married anyway ( it’s mostly been finances that have stopped us tying the knot until now), we‘re considering having  very short notice wedding in a registery office while my mum is stI’ll with us, and then a full wedding day at a later date. has anyone heard of this before, or see any obvious problems with this? I’d need to get to a registery office within about 10 days I think :/ I just want my mum to have a part in it, and also something to make her last days less sad... I’m just wondering if this is feasible. my head is a little all over the place at the moment, so any thoughts on this would be welcomed xx

update - just realised we would need to give 28 days noticeto A registery office, so this probably answers my question :( sorry folks xx

• Hi...so sorry to read of your sad news, it mus the a very difficult time for you. I can only offer help regarding registry office wedding, I’m sure someone else will come along with more diverse knowledge than me..  as far as I’m aware, you must give notice to marry, and the soonest you can marry after this is 28 days. Hopefully there will be a registrar available for you asap. Xx

• MrsNolanMrsNolan Posts: 683 New bride

Do check with the registrars and see if they can help you, I'm sure I saw something about short notice marriage for emergency reasons, this might fall into that category 

• Thank you both - I’ve done some googling on emergency weddings and I’m going to try ringing some registry offices to see if they’ll be able to help. 

One last question - does anyone know if it needs to be a particular registry office? Eg does it have to be the borough/ town we live in, or could it be a couple towns away if need be? Clearly my mum can’t travel far at all, but I’m just won gets how restricted we may be.

thank you so much for your helps far ladies, i really appreciate it xx

• Mrs_BadgerMrs_Badger Posts: 1,441 New bride

I know registers offices can arrange 'giving notice' in a quicker time due to special circumstances...

Normally you have to give notice where you live and then you can get married in a registry office anywhere.

Phone your local registers office tomorrow ...i am sure you will get it sorted soon.

And yes I have heard of a marriage first and then blessing/celebration of marriage ceremony afterwards. I don't think it's a bad thing and tbh I think it will work best for you under the circumstance. 

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

• Thank you all for the advice given on this thread - I’m pleased to announce that we got married today!!! Just 9 days after making the initial enquiries with the registry office :) the venue and dress shop were absolutely incredible in helping us at such short notice :) this all meant that my lovely mum got to be part of the ceremony, and to see us get married :) 

thank you all again ladies, esp MrsNolan2017 - you definitely helped point me in the right direction for reducing the 28 days notice period for emergency reasons :) 

Thank you all so much :) xxx

• Congratulations hun, hope all went well and your mum got to enjoy the day with you 😊 

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,136 New bride

Congratulations. So glad your Mum got to share in such a happy occasion and fill otherwise darker days with some joy. 

• MrsNolanMrsNolan Posts: 683 New bride

Congratulations Linda!!!.

I'm so so pleased you got things sorted and were able to share your special day with your mother. Made me well up a bit.

All the best for your married life xxxx

• Congratulations Linda, only just come across your thread but I'm so pleased you were able to do it in time for your mum to be there. All the best to you all xx