My Planning Thread - Sheffield, Summer 2019

• Photographer

I've been looking at photographers and have managed to narrow it down to 3 very different options: 

Laura Charity Photography

Laura went to school with H2b and we saw her at a wedding fayre a few weeks ago, she's got some lovely photos - I really like that he captures some good relaxed ones. She brings her husband with her who takes some more relaxed photos whilst she captures the official moments, I think it's lovely that they come together and really like the fact that it's someone H2b knows and not just a stranger. She is also very reasonable priced at £650 for 2 photographers, including an engagement shoot! 

imageimageimage

key reflections

This photographer just came up from a Google search but I really love her work. She is £1195 for the full day and she doesn't have a second photographer.

imageimageimage

S6

I've been to weddings done by S6 before with lovely photos when H2b were looking at photographers, he was the front runner for both of us. However when I showed pictures to my mum she was not as impressed by his work and on looking again I'm not sure he is my favourite any more. S6 is more expensive than the others we've looked at, at £1950 for 10-11 hours coverage, again with just the one photographer. 

imageimageimage

Overall I think I'm very much leaning towards key reflections, although h2b has his heart set on two photographers (even though he doesn't even want one while he's getting ready...) So we may have to carry on looking! 

• Helen225Helen225 Posts: 861 New bride

S6 does seem to be a favourite around here. When we were looking I couldn’t seem to get away from his work! Have you tried Neil at Eternal Images? He charged us £1000 for two photographers and an engagement shoot and I think he ended up doing around 11 hours on the day. We ended up with 1,400 photos I think. He was my favourite supplier by far, I’m a little bit gutted we don’t get to speak to him anymore!

He has an active Facebook account, check him out 

In terms of the above, I like the second ones best but having had two photographers, I’m so glad we did. You have the luxury of capturing all the important moments from two angles and both of your faces etc. Personally I thought it was a bit overkill beforehand and certainly didn’t go out looking for a package with two but definitely worth it. Having said that, we didn’t have a video done. Not sure if you’re having one but maybe having a Video negates the ‘need’ for two photographers.  

• I spoke with Key Reflections and while i loved her work and she was really lovely, i was swayed by our chosen photographer as we get two. We have gone with Sier Photography. Loved their work, and Matthew knows my h2b through work. As he's quite shy i know he'll feel more comfortable being round someone he knows 

• Sarah967 wrote (see post):

I spoke with Key Reflections and while i loved her work and she was really lovely, i was swayed by our chosen photographer as we get two. We have gone with Sier Photography. Loved their work, and Matthew knows my h2b through work. As he's quite shy i know he'll feel more comfortable being round someone he knows 

Helen225 wrote (see post):

S6 does seem to be a favourite around here. When we were looking I couldn’t seem to get away from his work! Have you tried Neil at Eternal Images? He charged us £1000 for two photographers and an engagement shoot and I think he ended up doing around 11 hours on the day. We ended up with 1,400 photos I think. He was my favourite supplier by far, I’m a little bit gutted we don’t get to speak to him anymore!

He has an active Facebook account, check him out 

In terms of the above, I like the second ones best but having had two photographers, I’m so glad we did. You have the luxury of capturing all the important moments from two angles and both of your faces etc. Personally I thought it was a bit overkill beforehand and certainly didn’t go out looking for a package with two but definitely worth it. Having said that, we didn’t have a video done. Not sure if you’re having one but maybe having a Video negates the ‘need’ for two photographers.   

Thank you both for the suggestions! Will definitely look into them both, watch this space! 

• Photographers are very personal - which is why everyone has their own favourite! A search I'd recommend doing is 'Kelham Island wedding photos' and go on Google Images. You'll stumble across photographers who have been to Kelham Island and hopefully won't feel to overwhelmed with the choices :)

• Update

Thanks to the beast from the east for a bonus couple of snow days off work I have managed to get on with plenty of wedding planning. I have:

- Contacted an acoustic musician. We saw him live last summer and knew that when we got married we would want to ask him to perform. I've messaged him on facebook as I couldn't find any other contact details anywhere for him but unfortunately he is not very facebook active - I'm praying he gets back to me as I would really love to have him! 

- Paid the deposit for the venue. 

- Confirmed our date with the vicar and arranged to meet again

- Contacted the caterer to get some menu quotes, we've asked for quotes for bread/olives/oils/hummus on tables (we decided to just go extra canapes and then nibbles on tables instead of a starter), choice of roast belly pork/sea bass/roast veg & feta pie for main, Bakewell tart and brownie sharing boards for dessert

- Arranged to meet up with key reflections photographer

- Stamped some cutlery for name places, this took a lot of practising but I'm finally pleased with how they're coming out so just going to get some paint to put on them to make the lettering stand out. 

- Ordered some bulb style fairy lights to decorate the venue

- Started making a list of songs we definitely want played by a DJ

- Started thinking about ceremony music; we're currently thinking How Long Will I Love You for my entrance, Perfect Day by Lou Reed for signing register (I love this but we had it at my Granny's funeral, which was in the church,so although that makes it more special I just need to make sure that I won't be blubbing and also that it won't upset my mum too much) and then Baby I'm Yours by Arctic Monkeys for leaving the church. 

• Bridesmaids

Also, yet again I am considering adding to my bridesmaids - to say I'd decided from the start that I only wanted two I really am not doing very well 

So for those that read my post about my friend last week I decided against asking her as I knew I was doing it for all the wrong reasons. She has also said she is going to leave him so if she does that in itself will cheer her up! Also, if after she leaves him we end up getting a lot closer again then I may still ask her further down the line but I know it would be for the right reasons that way. 

However, now I am considering having 3 junior bridesmaids/flower girls. I don't have any young kids in my family/have friends with young kids so I hadn't even thought about junior bridesmaids. However H2b has 3 young cousins and H2b's Grandad rang up last week asking if I had considered having them and if so he would be happy to pay for their dresses etc. His Grandad is really lovely and I know he is not trying to pressure me into having them at all. I think if he is offering to pay for the dresses then it is really no problem for me to have them and it may make it a really special day for them, they are all lovely girls and will be 6, 5 and 3 at the time. H2b however doesn't see the point as he says he is not close to his cousins, however I would disagree and say he is close, to one of them in particular who dotes on her big cousin. There is some love lost with this side of the family due to his Grandad having an affair 30 years ago with his now wife, which H2b's mum has never forgiven him for. I think it is a shame to let her bitterness for the past get in the way of H2b's relationship with his (only) cousins and also for 3 little girls to miss out on being bridesmaids. We are seeing his Grandad on Monday so will speak to them then and make a decision. 

• Sian91Sian91 Posts: 829 New bride

I think that would be a lovely way to include them in the day. Definitely do what you both want, I would ignore his Mum's bitterness, you never know it could be the start of rekindling the relationship between the family.

• August19August19 Posts: 285 New bride

I think it would be lovely to have the junior bridesmaids, sounds like it might bring the family a bit closer with what has gone on. Your plans sound really good, love the idea of the mixed canapes of the humous etc, Our venue is only advertise some canapés and it’s not our type of food so think I might message them and see if they can do anything else. 

Also the idea of the as you sign the register is a lovely idea, if you are able to hold back the tears it might be a nice nod to your grand mother xx 

• August19 wrote (see post):

I think it would be lovely to have the junior bridesmaids, sounds like it might bring the family a bit closer with what has gone on. Your plans sound really good, love the idea of the mixed canapes of the humous etc, Our venue is only advertise some canapés and it’s not our type of food so think I might message them and see if they can do anything else. 

Also the idea of the as you sign the register is a lovely idea, if you are able to hold back the tears it might be a nice nod to your grand mother xx 

I would definitely see what they can do, they'll probably be able to do loads of stuff if you suggest and your venue sounds really flexible anyway! 

Thanks, I was worried about taking the song for my wedding as I'm sure it is special to others in my family but I spoke to my mum and she said it was a lovely idea, I think it would be really perfect! 

• Photographer

So, just had Sarah from key reflections round and I absolutely loved her, she is so down to earth and easy to get along with, completely my sort of person and I really love her work. As a bonus she gave us £100 off so I'm going to book her tomorrow! So excited! 

I had a look at a few more photographers since I last posted about it and I just felt that I kept going back to key reflections so I know she's the right decision! 

• Sian91 wrote (see post):

I think that would be a lovely way to include them in the day. Definitely do what you both want, I would ignore his Mum's bitterness, you never know it could be the start of rekindling the relationship between the family.

Thanks! I do hope so, I've always made a point of getting along with that side of the family as I hate the idea of them falling out over the past! 

• Have been pretty quiet on here recently due to starting a new job which means I've been much busier than I was in my old one - when is it time to retire??? Anyway thought it was time for a bit of an update!

CAKE

I've always assumed I'd have a big iced wedding cake, I've always loved icing, to the point that I have been bought blocks for my birthday before now. However, the last few times I've had icing I've found it so sickly and I actually think I'm going off it 

Some of my inspiration for iced cakes is below, although I'm now thinking that if I've gone off icing there is no point paying loads for a beautifully iced cake! 

imageimage

However then I got thinking and I realised that actually I'm not a massive cake person and would much rather have a donut than a piece of cake, which got me thinking a dessert table would be a good idea with a single tier wedding cake along with a donut tower and all sorts of other goodies. This would also be quite cost effective as I'd plan on doing a lot of the things myself/asking friends to do it and buying the donuts from a supermarket (although a family friend has very kindly offered to pay for cake and flowers so I don't need to worry too much about this). 

I thought the dessert table idea was the way ahead but H2B keeps saying it's not a wedding without a wedding cake (I do keep telling him there will still be a cake but he seems to not be listening ), despite the fact he is not a big cake fan either. If H2B is not happy with a 1 tier cake then the other option is a dessert table with a naked cake (which my mum has actually offered to make, what a star!) 

So my options are: 

- big traditional iced cake

- dessert table with 1 tier iced cake (if H2B can get over it) 

- dessert table with naked cake. 

What do you guys think? 

• Dress

I haven't really looked much at dresses yet as I didn't want to buy something too early and go off it. However, last weekend I went to the I Do wedding fayre with mum and they had lots of dress stalls, as well as a catwalk, so I ended up having a look at a few and have booked an appointment to try some on in a few weeks. 

Initially I was thinking I wanted A-line with lots of lace and sleeves, inspiration below: 

imageimageimageimage

However I've started to think I want a tea length dress, although this is not something I ever thought I'd want so I don't know if I'd miss the opportunity to wear a big long wedding dress? 

• FutureMrsTomlin wrote (see post):

Dress

I haven't really looked much at dresses yet as I didn't want to buy something too early and go off it. However, last weekend I went to the I Do wedding fayre with mum and they had lots of dress stalls, as well as a catwalk, so I ended up having a look at a few and have booked an appointment to try some on in a few weeks. 

Initially I was thinking I wanted A-line with lots of lace and sleeves, inspiration below: 

imageimageimageimage

However I've started to think I want a tea length dress, although this is not something I ever thought I'd want so I don't know if I'd miss the opportunity to wear a big long wedding dress? 

I would say you have plenty of time to try on dresses of different styles and lengths. 

• Desert-bride wrote (see post):
    FutureMrsTomlin wrote (see post):

Dress

imageimageimageimage

I would say you have plenty of time to try on dresses of different styles and lengths. 

Yeah I definitely plan on trying loads on, already booked a couple of days off work for some dress shopping sessions! Just a bit worried that even if I try on a tea length dress and it suits me perfectly I still might regret not going for the traditional long dress in years to come! 

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,942 New bride

I know how you feel as I like tea length dresses too, but there are plenty of occasions where I can wear tea length dresses, but I'm only going to be able to wear the whole big long gown once, so definitely going for long :)

• Whereas I've gone for a tea length dress because I never wear long dresses, it isn't me. I tried on two long dresses and laughed - a lot! For all the wrong reasons!
    I can't see me regretting the decision in years to come. But it's all personal preference, the most important thing is that you're comfortable on the day.

• SadieeeSadieee Posts: 1,781 New bride

Just caught up! I am another who liked tea length but i'll never get to wear the big wedding dress any other occassion so im going for it :D also going for a long veil as well for the same reason.

Also what is about men and cakes? H2B doesnt like cake and im not fan unless its chocolate. So instead I have arranged a cheese tower cake as we love cheese! He is still moaning about this because apparently we should have a proper cake for a wedding. Why??!! Neither of us like them!

Look forward to following :)

Whereas I've gone for a tea length dress because I never wear long dresses, it isn't me. I tried on two long dresses and laughed - a lot! For all the wrong reasons!
    I can't see me regretting the decision in years to come. But it's all personal preference, the most important thing is that you're comfortable on the day.

Yeah I think if you are so sure then there's no chance you'll regret it! I am quite girly and like big dresses so I'm so torn! Also with only being a short arse I might decide tea length looks way better! 

• Sadieee wrote (see post):

Just caught up! I am another who liked tea length but i'll never get to wear the big wedding dress any other occassion so im going for it :D also going for a long veil as well for the same reason.

Also what is about men and cakes? H2B doesnt like cake and im not fan unless its chocolate. So instead I have arranged a cheese tower cake as we love cheese! He is still moaning about this because apparently we should have a proper cake for a wedding. Why??!! Neither of us like them!

Look forward to following :)

Aww new follower yay! 

Yes that is exactly how I think I'll feel, I'm hoping trying some on will make me decide one way or the other! 

Ugh that sounds exactly like my H2B! I think it's because he has no imagination, I was tempted to do a pork pie cake (which is his favourite food and he loves way more than real cake) but that was a big no no! 

• Honeymoon

Not sure if I've mentioned but H2B is just finishing his medicine degree at the moment so when we get married he'll be a junior doctor. Unfortunately junior doctors get shafted with their holidays and are just told when they're having time off so can't book anything, for this reason we were planning on having a honeymoon the following year when H2B will have finished his two years as a junior doctor. 

However, H2B found out what job he's got today and the rotation he has means he'll be a GP when we get married (so he can take time off). So now we might actually be able to have a honeymoon the same year we get married! 

Off I go to look at honeymoons... (And get saving so we can actually afford one next year )

• SadieeeSadieee Posts: 1,781 New bride

Wedding planning has shown me that H2B is way more traditional that I ever realised haha so many things come back to 'but thats not wedding-y' or 'but its tradition' *sigh* :D

• GinAndBlingGinAndBling Posts: 1,311 New bride

Just caught up! Love the dress options, when are you going? I've booked viewings for a months time and I'm weirdly nervous about it... 

Our planning thread: We're completely winging it.
    Our report: A fun, classic May day in navy and blush
    My weightloss thread: Diet denial! 
  • britbirdbritbird Posts: 1,486 New bride

Lovely to hear you can have a proper honeymoon- makes such a difference. 

• See honeymoons and holidays are something I'm much better at then wedding planning!! What you thinking for it?! Do you have dream locations in mind?

• GinAndBling wrote (see post):

Just caught up! Love the dress options, when are you going? I've booked viewings for a months time and I'm weirdly nervous about it... 

I had one appointment yesterday and got another today but I think I've found the one!!.

I was so nervous, before we went everyone kept asking if I was excited but I really wasn't, I was just nervous! I was a right nightmare to H2B in the morning because I was stressing about it  but honestly it was the most amazing experience! I loved picturing myself as a bride and imaging H2B seeing me on the day! 

• britbird wrote (see post):

Lovely to hear you can have a proper honeymoon- makes such a difference. 

I know it's so exciting! I think we wouldn't appreciate it as much if it was a year later, although we'd still have an amazing holiday it would seem like just that, rather than an actual honeymoon. 

See honeymoons and holidays are something I'm much better at then wedding planning!! What you thinking for it?! Do you have dream locations in mind?

I'm not surprised given the wedding you're having! We both want something relaxing like a really nice resort as I think after the wedding that's exactly what I'll want and it will be really nice just the two of us. I loved the idea of somewhere in Asia and then having a few days in a city as well but with us getting married in September it's probably not the ideal time of year for Asia so back to the drawing board! Any suggestions more than welcome! 

• The Dress

Yesterday was my first dress appointment and I loved it, I think I might have found the one!! 

I was so nervous in the morning and actually really dreading it, I was focusing more on whether I was wearing the right underwear and whether I'd look awful in all of them, rather than looking forward to it! Poor H2B put up with a lot of my stress in the morning. 

Once we were there though I forgot all of that, I loved trying the dresses on and had a great day with bridesmaids, mum and mum's best friend. Unfortunately we weren't allowed to take pictures which was a real shame but I appreciate that everywhere has different rules so can't be helped! 

The first dress I tried on was a massive skirt and train, with lace and sequins on the skirt, underneath a layer of tuille so it sparkled through. It was very pretty but just felt far too much for me, I couldn't imagine wearing that all day so it was a no! The next one was a similar style but with lighter fabric and less sparkle which I liked much more. The third one I hadn't actually chosen to try on but the lady brought it through and said it had been turned out and asked if that was for a reason. I hadn't chosen it on purpose but decided to try it anyway and I loved it, this is a picture: 

I then tried on a few fit and flare and mermaid styles and decided I didn't like them at all. Right at the end the lady pulled one out that I had considered trying for the shape but it was champagne and looked quite orangey so had decided against trying it. She suggested I might like it so I agreed to try and I really think it's the one! Everyone agreed it was amazing and there were a few tears shed! The champagne colour actually looked really nice and not in the slightest orange. 

imageimage

The dress is £1599 but because we booked the appointment at a wedding fayre we were given an offer of £100 off and free alterations, however that is if we put the deposit down by the end of April - as it's already half way through April and this is the first dress I have tried I don't want to rush into it. I've decided to try on a few more in the next two weeks and if it's still the one then we can decide what to do. Mum and Dad have said they'll pay for my dress which is very generous of them!