Forum home Your planning threads

My Planning Thread - Sheffield, Summer 2019

• Sian91Sian91 Posts: 829 New bride

Ah the dress you tried on looked lovely, I really like the detail over the bodie with the lace. What colour would you like it in?  A lot of people say when you think you’ve found one stop looking- But I think it depends on how indecisive you can be as an individual. 

• Sian91 wrote (see post):

Ah the dress you tried on looked lovely, I really like the detail over the bodie with the lace. What colour would you like it in?  A lot of people say when you think you’ve found one stop looking- But I think it depends on how indecisive you can be as an individual. 

Ahh thank you it is a gorgeous dress! I don't know, I tried it in champagne and although I didn't think that colour would suit me it actually looked really nice on. My mum thinks I'd be better with it in ivory but I don't think the lace would stand out as much so I'm not sure! I went and tried some more yesterday as I already had an appointment made and I found another one I love there so now I am definitely stopping - I don't need any more options, it's hard enough to decide between two! 

• Dress decision

Yesterday I visited another bridal shop with mum and her friend, it was a really lovely little shop but very well set up and the assistant was brilliant! 

I tried on a few dresses and some were really nice but I didn't get the feeling of the dress I already loved. However when I tried the Rebecca Ingram Mercy I loved it and everyone said I was glowing. I'm so torn between which dress to go for now, they're very different styles and I love them both in different ways; the first dress is more striking but the second dress is very elegant also very comfortable. 

This is me in the Rebecca Ingram:

imageimage

I am so torn which to go for! It's really annoying I couldn't take pictures in the first shop so I had something to compare. I'm going back to the first shop after work on Wednesday so I'm really hoping I'll be able to make a decision then. 

• britbirdbritbird Posts: 1,486 New bride

Oh how annoying about not having pics- maybe see if there is another local stockist who would let you take pics?  

• britbird wrote (see post):

Oh how annoying about not having pics- maybe see if there is another local stockist who would let you take pics?  

I would love to do that but there are only 6 stockists in the UK and she's the only one within about 200 miles so unfortunately it's not really an option! I'm going back to try it on again on Wednesday so will hopefully be able to make a decision as I have pics of the other one so can look at them both! 

• GinAndBlingGinAndBling Posts: 1,311 New bride
    FutureMrsTomlin wrote (see post):
    GinAndBling wrote (see post):

Just caught up! Love the dress options, when are you going? I've booked viewings for a months time and I'm weirdly nervous about it... 

I had one appointment yesterday and got another today but I think I've found the one!!.

I was so nervous, before we went everyone kept asking if I was excited but I really wasn't, I was just nervous! I was a right nightmare to H2B in the morning because I was stressing about it  but honestly it was the most amazing experience! I loved picturing myself as a bride and imaging H2B seeing me on the day! 

I don't know why I'm being such a wimp about it!! I love shopping usually ha! Although I tend to go on my own or with H2B..

Love both your options. The illusion sleeves are amazing. 

Our planning thread: We're completely winging it.
    Our report: A fun, classic May day in navy and blush
    My weightloss thread: Diet denial! 
  • In the grand scheme of things a saving of £100 isn't massive - usually, I'd wave the flag for savings but in terms of a dress - it isn't much. I say go back, compare and try and get a sneaky picture! You'll know which one you want without much thought in the end.

As for your honeymoon if you want somewhere relaxing but with good culture - Bali might be a good bet, you could spend time in different hotels on different parts of the island! It isn't wet season in September either :)

If you want something with a little bit of good food, sunsets, relaxing Santorini is also a good bet, a bit cooler in September but it should mean cheaper flights. We're actually hoping to go in October as a honeymoon (not greedy, promise!) 

Other places which are good in September Hawaii, if you opt for the Caribbean the ABC island (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao) are best weather wise, I'd avoid other places cause of storm / hurricane season. With the Maldives the rain season is about 10 minutes of rain and it's back to blue skies! Same with Mauritius! And Seychelles is another option.

A lot of those are expensive luxury options. Way out of my budget but you may be able to stretch that far :)

• GinAndBling wrote (see post):
    GinAndBling wrote (see post):

Just caught up! Love the dress options, when are you going? I've booked viewings for a months time and I'm weirdly nervous about it... 

I had one appointment yesterday and got another today but I think I've found the one!!.

I was so nervous, before we went everyone kept asking if I was excited but I really wasn't, I was just nervous! I was a right nightmare to H2B in the morning because I was stressing about it  but honestly it was the most amazing experience! I loved picturing myself as a bride and imaging H2B seeing me on the day! 

I don't know why I'm being such a wimp about it!! I love shopping usually ha! Although I tend to go on my own or with H2B..

Love both your options. The illusion sleeves are amazing. 

I am exactly the same! I think it was just the pressure of not finding anything that looked good, I love shopping when I'm doing it for fun but if I know I have to find something it takes all the enjoyment out for me! 

• Desert-bride wrote (see post):

In the grand scheme of things a saving of £100 isn't massive - usually, I'd wave the flag for savings but in terms of a dress - it isn't much. I say go back, compare and try and get a sneaky picture! You'll know which one you want without much thought in the end.

As for your honeymoon if you want somewhere relaxing but with good culture - Bali might be a good bet, you could spend time in different hotels on different parts of the island! It isn't wet season in September either :)

If you want something with a little bit of good food, sunsets, relaxing Santorini is also a good bet, a bit cooler in September but it should mean cheaper flights. We're actually hoping to go in October as a honeymoon (not greedy, promise!) 

Other places which are good in September Hawaii, if you opt for the Caribbean the ABC island (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao) are best weather wise, I'd avoid other places cause of storm / hurricane season. With the Maldives the rain season is about 10 minutes of rain and it's back to blue skies! Same with Mauritius! And Seychelles is another option.

A lot of those are expensive luxury options. Way out of my budget but you may be able to stretch that far :)

Yeah, it's more the alterations cost that's the pull as I thought that would be quite a lot with all the lace, she wouldn't give a ballpark figure though which is annoying! I'm definitely not going to rush into buying it just for the money off but I did really feel it was the one so I think if I'm still feeling that I may as well make a saving! 

See I really fancied Bali but a few people have said that the culture's not great as people are constantly trying to rip you off and it's full of drunk Australian's - maybe that's just a couple of people's bad experiences though! 

Some amazing suggestions there thank you, they are exactly the sort of places we fancied I was just struggling to think of them! Luckily we've had a few contributions to the wedding that we weren't expecting so we can afford a bit more than we expected and I'd love to push the boat out because I can't see when we'd get chance to do it again! 

• Decided on my dress!!!! 

So after trying on two different dresses and loving them both I eventually decided that the first one I loved was much better than the second as I just thought it was so special and I might regret going more simple. However, after falling in love with two I wanted to be sure that this was the dress for me, as mum and dad are paying I would feel way worse if I regretted my dress than if I had paid for it myself. So mum and I decided to go to another shop and make sure there was nothing else out there that I loved more. 

So this morning we went to a lovely shop that really could not have been more helpful and tried a few on, low and behold I fell in love with a third dress! However after going home and discussing it, me and mum both decided that dress number 1 was still the winner, I even asked my dad for his opinion and even he (who never ever has an opinion on female clothes - he likes to stand in changing rooms and say "it looks lovely, just buy it" to everything you try on ) preferred the first dress. I also realised that the second and third dresses I've loved were very similar to ones I tried on in the first shop that, although lovely, were very quickly discounted because they weren't as good as the one I loved. 

So it is official, I have decided that this is the dress for me: 

The skirt comes in ivory or champagne and I have chosen ivory. The bodice is only supposed to come in nude but they have agreed that they can make it with an ivory bodice instead for a small fee, I will also be having the shoulders adjusted to sit slightly more off the shoulder.

• Bridesmaid Dresses

I've decided as my dress has quite a full skirt it would look nice if the BM dresses also did, I saw this dress in a bridal shop today and I think it's gorgeous. Unfortunately it's £260 and I have said to my BMs that I've budgeted £100 each for them and it's up to them if they want to go for a high street dress and I pay for hair and make up or they go more expensive and do/pay for their own. I'd love to be able to spend more on them but unfortunately I just don't have it in the budget. Can anyone recommend somewhere that might do similar style dresses to this but not quite so expensive? 

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,957 New bride

Have you tried Monsoon?

• I don't know what this seasons collection is like but Chi Chi London (available on asos) often has similar styles to that for your bridesmaids!

Your dress is gorgeous!! Will look amazing slightly off the shoulder!

• Sian91Sian91 Posts: 829 New bride

Your dress is beautiful! I second chi chi for bridesmaid dresses or maybe tfnc if colour is your main focus (but they can be quite clingy so depends what your bridesmaids feel comfortable in).

• MrsCToBee wrote (see post):

Have you tried Monsoon?

Ooh thanks hadn't thought of that, will take a look! 

• abbigeorgia wrote (see post):

I don't know what this seasons collection is like but Chi Chi London (available on asos) often has similar styles to that for your bridesmaids!

Your dress is gorgeous!! Will look amazing slightly off the shoulder!

Ooh I've never looked at chi chi London, will take a look, thanks! 

Thank you! I'm so excited for it to come in now already, it's going to be a long 6 months! 

• Sian91 wrote (see post):

Your dress is beautiful! I second chi chi for bridesmaid dresses or maybe tfnc if colour is your main focus (but they can be quite clingy so depends what your bridesmaids feel comfortable in).

Thank you, I love it! Oooh great, I'll have a look at both! 

• Transport

As our church is around 12 miles outside of Sheffield and the reception venue is in the centre of Sheffield (where most of our guests live) we decided it would be best to get a bus from Sheffield to the church and then back for the reception, as this will save people from having to drive home and drop cars off after the service and I think the day will just flow better. 

We found a museum that has the old style Sheffield buses and hires them out for weddings ages ago but then never got round to booking them. H2B was tasked with booking it last week but managed to ring them, ask them some questions that we already knew the answer to but not book ). Luckily they were at a wedding fayre we went to on Sunday so we've now got that booked. 

H2B and his family will go on the bus to the church (much to the dismay of MIL as she wanted us to get her a car) and I will get a car with my dad and possibly bridesmaids and mum, depending on the size. If I get a smaller car then mum and bridesmaids will get the bus as well. We will then all come back on the bus together after the ceremony, we were debating whether we wanted this or we wanted some time to ourselves but I'm really looking forward to being on the bus, I think it'll be fun. 

Now I just need to find something to get me there, I really don't know what to go for. I fancied a vintage sports car but obviously a lot don't have back seats and the ones that do are probably not very suitable for climbing into in a big dress  I might end up going for a VW campervan as there would be space for bridesmaids as well but I think I want something a bit different and also they're so expensive. There's an emergency services museum near us that hires out the vehicles so I've contacted them about the possibility of an old ambulance (thought it would tie in nicely with H2B being a doctor) - so fingers crossed that's a go-er! If not does anyone have any other suggestions I might not have thought of? 

Didn't see your dress when I replied before and just wanted to say it's beautiful!

I'm hoping to have a black London cab as my transport, don't know how common they are in Sheffield though!

Didn't see your dress when I replied before and just wanted to say it's beautiful!

I'm hoping to have a black London cab as my transport, don't know how common they are in Sheffield though!

Aww thank you! I absolutely love it! 

Oooh I like that idea, it's something a bit different! 

We live not far from London so several cab drivers live here. I actually shamelessly stole the idea from britbird 😂

We live not far from London so several cab drivers live here. I actually shamelessly stole the idea from britbird 😂

Haha I wouldn't worry I've shamelessly stolen tonnes of ideas from brides on here! 

• britbirdbritbird Posts: 1,486 New bride

LOL- steal away, I stole my wedding tea towel idea from Georgina's research (Wedding on the Gower) 

• chacha19chacha19 Posts: 15 New bride

Yeah, it's more the alterations cost that's the pull as I thought that would be quite a lot with all the lace, she wouldn't give a ballpark figure though which is annoying! I'm definitely not going to rush into buying it just for the money off but I did really feel it was the one so I think if I'm still feeling that I may as well make a saving! 

See I really fancied Bali but a few people have said that the culture's not great as people are constantly trying to rip you off and it's full of drunk Australian's - maybe that's just a couple of people's bad experiences though! 

Some amazing suggestions there thank you, they are exactly the sort of places we fancied I was just struggling to think of them! Luckily we've had a few contributions to the wedding that we weren't expecting so we can afford a bit more than we expected and I'd love to push the boat out because I can't see when we'd get chance to do it again! 

Hello!! Just read your whole thread and your wedding sounds amazing already, can't wait to keep reading! Your dress is really beautiful :) 

Just wanted to pop by and say that me and my partner went to Bali in September last year and it was incredible, definitely the best holiday we've ever had. All that stuff is true but only if you go to certain places! We went to some stunning temples and beaches, we love culture and thought it was fab. We also found everyone super friendly and although there are people pushing stuff it's no different to any other country and if you say no they seem to be ok with it :) 

Hope the planning is going well! 

• chacha19 wrote (see post):

Hello!! Just read your whole thread and your wedding sounds amazing already, can't wait to keep reading! Your dress is really beautiful :) 

Just wanted to pop by and say that me and my partner went to Bali in September last year and it was incredible, definitely the best holiday we've ever had. All that stuff is true but only if you go to certain places! We went to some stunning temples and beaches, we love culture and thought it was fab. We also found everyone super friendly and although there are people pushing stuff it's no different to any other country and if you say no they seem to be ok with it :) 

Hope the planning is going well! 

Oooh hello, love a new reader! Aww thank you, do you have a thread? 

Ahhh brilliant that's great to hear. Is there anywhere in particular you would recommend? And what was the weather like? 

• chacha19chacha19 Posts: 15 New bride

Not yet!! I’m in the middle of exams right now but I might start one during the summer, I’m not a very good writer though 🙈

I have heaps of recommendations, but briefly we stayed in Ubud for a few days which was fab, hot but cloudy. Loads of temples near by and the landscape with the rice terraces was amazing. We then spent a couple of days slightly more North before we climbed a mountain, the Airbnb there was wonderful, bit colder but still 27! We finished the holiday on south coast, we saw less culture there (although it was around) but the beaches are great and it was very hot and very sunny! Let me know if you want any more specifics :) 

• Cake

We went to an indie wedding fayre a couple of weeks ago now and it was the best wedding fayre we've been to, I feel like all the suppliers just fitted with what we wanted so much more and we saw some really great things! 

In particular, there were two cake stalls that had amazing tasting testers, I've found that most of the testers I've been given at fayres have been quite dry and disappointing so I was really happy to find some cakes that looked amazing but more importantly tasted fab too - if I'm spending hundreds of pounds on a cake then I don't want it to be dry and lacking in flavour! 

Originally I was considering having a cake table with a small wedding cake and a donut tower and some other bits. I love donuts so really wanted to do this but H2B was adamant that he wanted a big cake with lots of tiers. We toyed with compromising on a naked cake and donuts but I think there would just be too much food and don't want anything going to waste. Also a very close family friend has kindly offered to buy our cake so I thought it would seem really rude to let her pay for the cake and then have doughnuts as well. In the end we've decided it's best to just go with the traditional wedding cake. 

I've spoken to one of the suppliers (kelham cakery) over email and she's sent over a quote, which has come out at £375. This includes sugar flowers, which we don't want so have asked her to let me know how much it is without. Her cakes were so moist and delicious at the fayre, although they were served in little pots so I do wonder if it was because you got a good cake to filling ratio in the pot or if that's just how delicious her cakes are! 

Here is a picture of one of her cakes, which is quite similar to what we'd go for, we would just have a grey-blue, instead of the peach: 

The other cake maker we loved at the fayre is bakes by butter, we met up with her the other day (any supplier that suggests meeting in the pub is a winner for me) and she was so lovely, she was really nice and easy to get along with and spent ages asking exactly what we'd want and talking through flavours etc. We decided we'd go for a lemon drizzle bottom tier, then probably gin and elderflower, with a bakewell tart (almond sponge and jam) tier on top. The design would be similar to the other pictures, with a metal hoop decorated with flowers leaning against it, like this:

We're just waiting to hear back from bakes by butter for the quote and then will make a decision - I'm really hoping there'll be a massive price difference as otherwise I don't know how we'll decide! 

• Just read through this whole thread! love the photographer you've chosen and the dress is stunning!

Definitely will be following - I'm a summer 2019 bride too

• FutureMrsDraper wrote (see post):

Just read through this whole thread! love the photographer you've chosen and the dress is stunning!

Definitely will be following - I'm a summer 2019 bride too

Aww thank you, it's always nice to hear someone's listening to my rambling! 

Ooh fab, so many of the threads I'm following are 2018 so they'll be over soon. Can't wait to give yours a read and see where you're up to!

• Desert-brideDesert-bride Posts: 226 New bride

The indie wedding fair is great, isn’t it? Glad you’ve found some cake suppliers!!