My Planning Thread - Sheffield, Summer 2019

• Cecilia13Cecilia13 Posts: 512 New bride
    FutureMrsTomlin wrote (see post):

BM Dresses

Luckily managed to squeeze a quick hour in yesterday while both BMs were in the country to try their dresses on and I'm over the moon with them, they look gorgeous on and they both really like them which is a relief. I tried so hard to get something that suits them both as they have very different colourings but I think I've managed it with these, they both look lovely I think! 

Didn't get a nice picture but you get the idea! Also excuse the tags sticking out.

I love them, they really suit both your BMs :) if I had decided to put all mine in the same thing I'd have gone with something very similar! (but as there are 8 of them and they are all completely different colouring/shapes/sizes /tastes it was definitely going to end up with someone being really uncomfortable) so I'm a bit jealous! Your day is going to be beautiful :)

And I think my one of BMs will be doing my make-up, because I don't want a heavy professional one either, so I think it sounds lovely to ask the family friend. Can't wait to see how it turns out! 

• Aw yay! I’m a fellow Kelham Island bride to be - you appear to be infinitely more organised than me though - yikes!

• Cecilia13 wrote (see post):

BM Dresses

Luckily managed to squeeze a quick hour in yesterday while both BMs were in the country to try their dresses on and I'm over the moon with them, they look gorgeous on and they both really like them which is a relief. I tried so hard to get something that suits them both as they have very different colourings but I think I've managed it with these, they both look lovely I think! 

Didn't get a nice picture but you get the idea! Also excuse the tags sticking out.

I love them, they really suit both your BMs :) if I had decided to put all mine in the same thing I'd have gone with something very similar! (but as there are 8 of them and they are all completely different colouring/shapes/sizes /tastes it was definitely going to end up with someone being really uncomfortable) so I'm a bit jealous! Your day is going to be beautiful :)

And I think my one of BMs will be doing my make-up, because I don't want a heavy professional one either, so I think it sounds lovely to ask the family friend. Can't wait to see how it turns out! 

I think having different dresses is lovely and with 8 of them it will look brilliant! I only wanted the same dress because I thought with only two of them it might look odd to be in different dresses! 

I'm so excited to have a trial and see what it's like! 

• RuthP wrote (see post):

Aw yay! I’m a fellow Kelham Island bride to be - you appear to be infinitely more organised than me though - yikes!

Oooh really? Are you KIM? When are you getting married? If you want any recommendations for suppliers I'm happy to provide suggestions! 

• FutureMrsTomlin wrote (see post):
    RuthP wrote (see post):

Aw yay! I’m a fellow Kelham Island bride to be - you appear to be infinitely more organised than me though - yikes!

Oooh really? Are you KIM? When are you getting married? If you want any recommendations for suppliers I'm happy to provide suggestions! 

Yep, Kelham Island Museum. We’re 6th November next year so not long after you I don’t think! I’ve already had a good read of your thread to get some inspiration (and a virtual kick up the bum!). It looks like you’re planning a lovely day - I was excited when I saw where you were getting married!

• RuthP wrote (see post):
    RuthP wrote (see post):

Yep, Kelham Island Museum. We’re 6th November next year so not long after you I don’t think! I’ve already had a good read of your thread to get some inspiration (and a virtual kick up the bum!). It looks like you’re planning a lovely day - I was excited when I saw where you were getting married!

Ooh yeah really close then! Are you going to do a planning thread? I'd love to hear your choices! 

I love seeing local brides - I'm not sure if you've seen but desert bride is having a reception at yellow arch so hers is a great planning thread to have a nosy! 

• Cecilia13Cecilia13 Posts: 512 New bride

I think having different dresses is lovely and with 8 of them it will look brilliant! I only wanted the same dress because I thought with only two of them it might look odd to be in different dresses! 

I hope so! They range from a petite size 6 to a curvy size 18/20, from very fair and blonde to tanned half Korean with waterfall of amazing hair, and they  include my sister who used  to be a bit of a goth and still has tendancies towards that stylistically, my other sister who loves all things vintage and sparkly, my friend who hates dresses and colour, my MOH who is quite hippie, FSIL who is gender fluid and does drag (I have no idea what they will wear but it will be awesome), a concert violinist.. they're a mixed bunch!

Can't wait to see pics of the trial :D

• Aww! A couple of kelham island brides now. You’re plans are coming together quite nicely! It’ll come around quicker than you’re expecting it too!

• Cecilia13 wrote (see post):

I hope so! They range from a petite size 6 to a curvy size 18/20, from very fair and blonde to tanned half Korean with waterfall of amazing hair, and they  include my sister who used  to be a bit of a goth and still has tendancies towards that stylistically, my other sister who loves all things vintage and sparkly, my friend who hates dresses and colour, my MOH who is quite hippie, FSIL who is gender fluid and does drag (I have no idea what they will wear but it will be awesome), a concert violinist.. they're a mixed bunch!

Can't wait to see pics of the trial :D

Okay yes there is literally no way you could have found a dress that would even vaguely look okay on all of them! I think they'll look amazing in different dresses and it'll be so nice to be able to show their personalities through their outfits! 

• I can't decide what to do about table plans. We are having long tables (3 rows of 4 tables), I feel like if you give each small table a separate name for a table plan then it sort of splits it up and defeats the flow of having long tables. But also I think if you don't it will take people ages to find their seat as they have to walk up and down each long table. Plus we had already decided on table names and I was actually looking forward to the challenge of who to put where in the seating plan. 

What do people think? 

RuthP wrote (see post):
    RuthP wrote (see post):

Ooh yeah really close then! Are you going to do a planning thread? I'd love to hear your choices! 

I love seeing local brides - I'm not sure if you've seen but desert bride is having a reception at yellow arch so hers is a great planning thread to have a nosy! 

Ooh great - I love Yellow Arch! I have nothing to put in a planning thread yet really, but maybe once I’ve managed to get the ball rolling I will! 

• Videographer

We've gone round in circles during the planning about whether to have a videographer or not. We weren't initially going to have one so didn't allocate any money in the budget to it. However, after reading reports on here where brides have watched the video bag to recall speeches etc. and hearing so many people say they're so glad they had one I started doubting our decision. I also used to love watching my mum and dad's wedding video as a kid and it would have seemed sad if my own children couldn't do this. So in the end we decided we needed a video, we looked into shoot it yourself but then decided that we would hire a decent camera and get H2B's friend who is a photographer but did a lot of film/TV work during his spare time at uni to film/edit it. That is until I saw someone mention on here that the lovely VegasLou has turned to wedding videography, I had to go and check her out and not only is she amazingly talented but also really reasonably priced so we've booked! 

• We've done our save the dates! Just spent the last hour or doing some questionable cursive on the envelopes so now relaxing with a glass of red (didn't allow myself a drink while I was doing it as my writing was dodgy enough). Actually really pleased with our save the dates to say we did them ourselves based on pinterest inspo and in my experience things do not always turn out quite like they did on Pinterest...

imageimage

• Sian91Sian91 Posts: 829 New bride

Pinterest is the devil- expectations vs reality! 

They look great(:

• Heeeey Sheffield 👰🏻

I’ve just read your whole thread! I’m from Sheffield too, tho not getting married there but I’m v. familiar with kelham island and your venue will look beautiful! 

I’m also having a vw camper and I posted the same Pinterest pic of the tweed suit too 😅

Love your dress and your BM dresses too, you’ll all look beaut! 

Look forward to reading more! 

• Charleah wrote (see post):

Heeeey Sheffield 👰🏻

I’ve just read your whole thread! I’m from Sheffield too, tho not getting married there but I’m v. familiar with kelham island and your venue will look beautiful! 

I’m also having a vw camper and I posted the same Pinterest pic of the tweed suit too 😅

Love your dress and your BM dresses too, you’ll all look beaut! 

Look forward to reading more! 

Big up Sheff!!

Thank you, we used to live at kelham so it's really nice to be getting married there! 

Hahaha we clearly have great taste 😉 

• Had a bit of an accidental bridezilla moment at work yesterday which I feel a bit bad about! 

There's a girl I work with that does the same job as me so we're not really allowed much time off at the same time. We get on well and she's also engaged but hadn't started planning until recently. She's decided on a venue and was telling me about the date options she'd been given for next summer. She said her favourite was 13th September (a week before mine), I panicked that she'd have that and then be on honeymoon so I wouldn't be able to take much time off before the wedding/have the honeymoon straight after. So I told her she couldn't book then and that if she did and I wasn't allowed the time off i'd just quit my job. 

She told me later that she won't even have a honeymoon the same year so I needn't have worried - feel so bad now that I had a bridezilla outcry and told her she couldn't have a date now I know it won't affect my wedding! 

• Sian91Sian91 Posts: 829 New bride

It happens to the best of us! I bet she thought, ‘that was a bit unnecessary’...but give her a few months and she’ll do something similar!

• Sian91 wrote (see post):

It happens to the best of us! I bet she thought, ‘that was a bit unnecessary’...but give her a few months and she’ll do something similar!

Thank you, I needed a bit of reassurance that I'm not just a complete cow! 

• We've been to church this morning as I like us to try and go occasionally. Everytime we go I find my eyes welling up during the hymns as it always reminds me of my granny, I'm going to really have to try and keep it under control for the wedding so I don't end up crying all the way through! 

We've done our save the dates! Just spent the last hour or doing some questionable cursive on the envelopes so now relaxing with a glass of red (didn't allow myself a drink while I was doing it as my writing was dodgy enough). Actually really pleased with our save the dates to say we did them ourselves based on pinterest inspo and in my experience things do not always turn out quite like they did on Pinterest..

imageimage

You've done an amazing job on these!  Do you know what font you used for your names?  

• Seatreasure wrote (see post):

We've done our save the dates! Just spent the last hour or doing some questionable cursive on the envelopes so now relaxing with a glass of red (didn't allow myself a drink while I was doing it as my writing was dodgy enough). Actually really pleased with our save the dates to say we did them ourselves based on pinterest inspo and in my experience things do not always turn out quite like they did on Pinterest..

imageimage

You've done an amazing job on these!  Do you know what font you used for your names?  

Sorry have been trying to find it but have no clue! We just got it from a font download website though and they had loads of similar ones.

• So I've been a bit AWOL from here recently, we're in the process of buying a house and as if that wasn't enough I've been crazy busy at work so doing some really long hours. 

House seems to be sorting itself now though and we should be in in the next couple of weeks, we're also getting a new person at work that should ease the pressure so fingers crossed will have more energy for wedding planning! 

So I've been a bit AWOL from here recently, we're in the process of buying a house and as if that wasn't enough I've been crazy busy at work so doing some really long hours. 

House seems to be sorting itself now though and we should be in in the next couple of weeks, we're also getting a new person at work that should ease the pressure so fingers crossed will have more energy for wedding planning! 

Good luck with the house move!! We bought our first home last year and got the keys on the 20th Dec! Luckily FH still had his flat til Jan so we werent pushed to move everything the week of christmas, but Solicitors do have a way of timing things so poorly haha. 

• MrsS85MrsS85 Posts: 688 New bride

Congrats on the house purchase and hopefully things settling down at work so you can get back to enjoying the wedding planning.

• CoffeeDogAddict wrote (see post):

So I've been a bit AWOL from here recently, we're in the process of buying a house and as if that wasn't enough I've been crazy busy at work so doing some really long hours. 

Good luck with the house move!! We bought our first home last year and got the keys on the 20th Dec! Luckily FH still had his flat til Jan so we werent pushed to move everything the week of christmas, but Solicitors do have a way of timing things so poorly haha. 

Oh god that is bad timing! Ours has ended up being right before a massive meeting at work which I have loads to prep for but luckily I already had a day booked off that week for something else so at least that's helping with moving! 

• MrsS85 wrote (see post):

Congrats on the house purchase and hopefully things settling down at work so you can get back to enjoying the wedding planning.

Thank you! Raring to get back to the planning now!

• The wedding night

As our venue is a museum it doesn't have any accomodation for us to stay on the wedding night. We hadn't really given it much though but luckily my mum was on the ball and suggested this little boutique hotel that's not far away. The rooms all look gorgeous but we have chosen this one on the top floor: 

Will probably get my dad to check us in and take our stuff over in the morning while us girls are being made beautiful! 

They also have a lovely restaurant so mum suggested we have a group brunch there the morning after. I love the idea as I think maybe I'd feel a bit underwhelmed the next day otherwise, although I have stipulated that it has to be as late as possible as I want to enjoy that lovely bath. We went for brunch (for research purposes only of course) and it was delicious so looking forward to that. We are going to invite both sets of parents & brothers, both bridesmaids and partners, my god parents and some of my mum and dad's friends. Although when we suggested this to MIL she said she doesn't like avocado and doesn't want to go (there is no reasoning with her that not all brunch must include avocado 🙄) so we will see if she comes round. I actually was a bit annoyed by this as my mum and dad are paying for everyone's brunch and our room on the night so think she was really rude. 

• Cheeese

So we weren't originally planning to have a cheese course as we've gone over budget in a few (*all) areas. However one of mum's friends got in touch recently to say she'd like to contribute to a part of the wedding as our gift so we're going to ask her for a cheese cake. There's a cheese maker in Sheffield, not far at all from our venue, that does them so we are hopefully going to go with her. I've asked a few places for quotes though so that we can give mum's friend a few prices to choose from. 

For those that had/are having a cheese cake do you serve it after the breakfast or in the evening? I'm thinking after the breakfast would be nice but then also if you waited until the evening the evening guests would get to see it in all its glory rather than it being deconstructed. 

Also how many people do you cater for? I know a lot of places say cater for ~70% for the evening but I don't know if that's just because not everyone's hungry whereas everyone might pick at a bit of cheese?