My Planning Thread - Sheffield, Summer 2019

1234568»

• @MrsCToBee Ambula restaurant, after Cameo dramas... I shall do a planning thread, when I actually get round to it!
  • MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,949 New bride
    abiscott said:
    @MrsCToBee Ambula restaurant, after Cameo dramas... I shall do a planning thread, when I actually get round to it!
    Ah lovely! I don't know it, know Cameo Island well as my uncle lived in Laganas for years - have heard the Cameo Island court hearing to get their license back is this month. Gorgeous island. Sorry to hijack the thread!
  • abiscott said:
    Hi,
    I'm in Brooklyn Works, just overlooking the river/back of the museum. 
    Your guests are going to love the quirkiness of the museum, and its so nice to have a venue you feel connected to.
    We're marrying in Zante, in our favourite restaurant there, but I'll definitely check out desert bride's thread regarding the yellow arch, however head is currently ruling heart regarding spending on a home party at the moment!

Aww yeah I know it! 

I hope so, I think it's a really good place for a wedding as it has that extra interest factor for guests. 

Oooh sounds lovely! Would love to read your planning thread when you start one! We really loved the showroom as a venue option and that was really cheap so would definitely suggest a look there if you're tempted for a party!.
  • CharleahCharleah Posts: 248 New bride
    Honeymoon looks amazing :) 
  • Been a bit quiet on here recently as I've been so busy at work which has just caused loads of stress and really affected my mental health. Anyway, after breaking down in tears at work about 5 times in one day I've decided it's time to stop letting work affect me so much and distract myself by getting back into wedding planning instead. 
  • FutureMrsTomlinFutureMrsTomlin Posts: 467 New bride
    edited March 2019
    H2B has been looking at suits recently. He originally found some Marc Darcy ones that he really liked but we were talking to my uncle (who's daughter got married last year) and he said that he struggled with suits because the one the groom (young, tall slim) picked didn't fit him (middle ages, short, not so slim) so I decided that for our dad's sake we should try to looking at more traditional suit places. He's found some in moss bros he likes so hopefully we will be able to get something to fit everyone there. I think H2B would need to have his tailored, which he is shying away from as it's an extra £125 and he is a classic stingy Yorkshire man 🙄 so currently trying to make him realise that this is his wedding day and is worth it as a once in a lifetime suit! 

We are thinking of asking the dads to buy their own suits - just wondering if anyone else has done this and if so how much did the suits cost? 
  • So I'm really torn what to do with my hair. I have really curly hair so have always been quite particular about hairdressers as a lot don't know how to handle my hair. I met a hairdresser at a wedding fayre last year and she was lovely and really got the curly thing. Stupidly I waited before booking her as I hadn't really started looking at hair yet and now I can't seem to find any trace of her anywhere - can't find her flyer/card which I'm sure I would have taken, can't find her on the list of suppliers at the wedding fayre and can't find her from googling what I can remember of her! So I've given up on her existence and am now back to square 1. My hairdresser has mentioned her doing my hair, although I don't know what her up dos are like I am tempted to go with her as I know she knows my hair. My only issue is that I have to have my hair dried with her climazone when I go to the hairdressers to make the curls nice so not sure if I'd have to go there rather than her coming to me, I'd really like to have it done at home if possible so it's more relaxing time with my bridesmaids. I have an appointment in a couple of weeks so think I need to speak to her really and see what she says. 
  • Not sure what I've posted about cars so doing a bit of an update. 

Originally I fancied a VW camper but I just wasn't particularly bothered about cars that I wanted to justify the money. I found a very reasonably priced camper that I was going to go with but it only had 4 seats so decided to scrap that. I looked at some vintage rolls royces etc. which were beautiful but again I just couldn't justify the cost. I then looked into just having a premium taxi but the fact that they were blatantly charging more just for it being a wedding annoyed me so I scrapped that idea. 

Mum and Dad wanted me to get something sorted and we went to a vintage car company near my grandparents (and the church). They were willing to do us a really good deal on a Rolls Royce Phantom that wasn't booked yet so Dad's booked that for me. It's so beautiful and I'm really excited to go in it. We could get 5 passengers in it but it would be a bit of a squeeze so think just me and dad will go in it instead. My Godfather (and Dad of one of the BMs) has a lovely Jag and has offered to drive my mum and bridesmaids in that, so cars are all sorted now. 

We have the vintage bus going Sheffield - Church - Reception so H2B is getting that on the way there and then on the way home we are both going to get on the bus. 
  • So my FIL (who is normally really reasonable and easy going) has thrown a spanner in the works. He's decided he can't possibly sit next to MIL as he can't trust himself to stay civil to her and not cause a scene. I'd get it if they were seperated or something but they're not, they live together and spend time together every day, I feel like they could manage one day for our wedding. H2B wants to do a traditional top table lay out of my mum with his dad and his mum with my dad but I don't really want to because I feel it's not fair on my parents, a) because my mum and dad would want to sit together and b) because MIL is a general nightmare and I don't wish that on my dad. So I'm thinking of just having bridesmaids and best man (plus partners) on the top table and putting our parents on seperate tables. It's not ideal because I don't really want my mum and dad to miss out on being on the top table but I think it's probably the best option. 
    That's a shame but so odd - so they are together, live together but he can't sit next to her for 2 hours? Weird!
  • MrsCToBee said:
    That's a shame but so odd - so they are together, live together but he can't sit next to her for 2 hours? Weird!
    Yep, they basically don't get along and argue a lot but are still together, share a bed, do things together, go on holiday together etc. It's a weird family! 
    MrsCToBee said:
    Yep, they basically don't get along and argue a lot but are still together, share a bed, do things together, go on holiday together etc. It's a weird family! 
    It just makes no sense, if he can live in the same house as her and go on holiday with her why can't he just put up and shut up for a couple of hours? Good luck with your table plan.
    My parents aren't sitting together either but that was more my choice than theirs!
  • So I've put together a list of what I still need to sort over the next few months. Writing it all down has made me realise how much we still have to go so I feel like I need to start cracking on! 
    If anyone can think of anything I may have missed please let me know. 

Shoes
    Hair (planning on having my regular hairdresser I just need to confirm with her and sort out the details)
    Jewellery
    Veil
    Underwear
    Gifts
    Napkins
    Menu tasting
    Invites 
    Music (ceremony and reception) 
    Readings
    H2B shoes
    H2B tie/pocket square 
    H2B shirt 
    Seating plan (and sign)
    Order of the day sign 
    Order of service 
  • We went to a wedding fayre at the venue last weekend, just to look around the room again and finalise decorations. It was quite useful but too busy really to see as much as we wanted and my mum and dad were driving me mad! They kept pointing out things that we already knew/had decided on and dad kept getting engaged with suppliers we don't want, safe to say I was in need of a glass of wine by the time we left. 

Mum managed to make up for it with her creativity as I had said I was thinking about spraying hoops gold and putting foliage/flowers on. When I went round the other day, she'd made this 

My dad owns a company that sells wire and we always call him world of wire so I think it's really nice to have the hoops made out of wire. It also fits in more with the industrial theme so think it will look great, plus it is free which is an added bonus. This isn't necessarily the foliage we will have, mum just had a go with stuff from the garden. I think we will have gyp, eucalyptus and one or two flowers. 
  • H2B went with his brother and dad, my brother and dad and his best friend to get fitted for suits on Sunday. 
    H2B has gone for this suit:

With the waistcoat from this suit instead:

Then everyone else has gone for different variations of the two suits (we didn't tell them to, I just wanted them all to have something they liked and would wear again). So I think it's worked out really well that they'll all be different but to the same theme! 
  • H2B's best friend has gone back to uni to study graphic design so as his wedding gift to us he designed the invites, he came round to work with us to see exactly what we wanted and he's done a fantastic job - we've gone really simple with just the Sheffield skyline at the top and are printing them onto brown card. We've just done a simple A5 invite and an RSVP card and then having a website for the other info. H2B wanted a pocket fold with loads of info but I just found doing the wording for the invite quite stressful, whereas I feel the website is so much less stressful!.
  • SheffBrideySheffBridey Posts: 36 New bride
    Hoops look great! Always like to see your progress - same venue 6 weeks after so gives me a kick up the bum to get doing something!
  • Hoops look great! Always like to see your progress - same venue 6 weeks after so gives me a kick up the bum to get doing something!
    Oooh exciting to see another Kelham Bride! How are you getting on with your planning? Do you have a thread? 
  • Been struggling a lot recently at work (why I haven't been on here much) and my GP signed me off this week with anxiety and depression. Hopefully a bit of rest will do me good and trying to focus on the wedding to have something positive to think about, we're going to a charity event that our caterers are running at our venue tonight so I'm really looking forward to that. 
  • SheffBrideySheffBridey Posts: 36 New bride
    Hoops look great! Always like to see your progress - same venue 6 weeks after so gives me a kick up the bum to get doing something!
    Oooh exciting to see another Kelham Bride! How are you getting on with your planning? Do you have a thread? 
    No thread but we’re getting there! By that I mean we’ve booked the key suppliers and am being far too laid back about everything else! Sorry you have not been feeling great, hope the time off work gives you chance to look after yourself and you’re feeling much better soon! Enjoy tonight - we’d thought about going but have a little one so it didn’t work out. Hope it’s lots of fun!
    Have a lovely relaxing weekend my love  x
  • GinAndBlingGinAndBling Posts: 1,311 New bride
    Sorry to hear you are having a tough time, enjoy your bank holiday and have a great evening xx
    Our planning thread: We're completely winging it.
    Our report: A fun, classic May day in navy and blush
    My weightloss thread: Diet denial! 
  • Sci-Fi NerdSci-Fi Nerd Posts: 56 New bride
    Anxiety can be really hard, but it's fantastic you're prioritising yourself. Absolutely take care of yourself and be very very kind! 
  • CoffeeDogAddictCoffeeDogAddict Posts: 1,316 New bride
    Sending you strength and kindness <3 hope you're able to take some time to yourself and are starting to feel better soon x
  • Thank you for all the kind words! I was feeling really guilty for the time off work (my HR department tried to persuade me to ignore my doctor's note and stay at work) so it's lovely to have some reassurance from people who are independent! 

We had the menu tasting last night and the food was amazing, there isn't actually anything we want to change about it. 

Canapes: we hadn't picked anything so they just picked out a selection. We had spiced lamb filo parcels, bubble and squeak, feta and olive quiches and Sheffield egg (basically a scotch egg). 
    We loved the lamb parcels and the Sheffield egg so going to go through their list and choose 3 more to have alongside those. 

Mains: we had roast belly pork with black pudding and apple and cider sauce and seabass en papilotte. 
    These were both absolutely gorgeous, they are my two favourite meals so I'm really pleased how nice they were. 

Desserts: Bakewell tart and chocolate brownie. 
    Me and H2B both absolutely love Bakewell tart and it did not disappoint! The brownie was a bit rich for me but I wouldn't choose brownie anyway and I think people that are big chocolate fans would love it. 

Really pleased that the menu choices are sorted as it means we can finally send out our invites. The only issue is that I'm printing them at work so will have to wait until I go back in next week but then we can get them sent out! 

That's really naughty of your HR department, for a lot of people it can take a lot to go to see a doctor and admit they aren't feeling great - if your doctor has signed you off it's for a reason, and your HR person should be supporting you rather than encouraging you to further stress yourself. Not on, well done for standing up to them.

Food looks amazing!
  • Hullass1972Hullass1972 Posts: 603 New bride
    Thank you for all the kind words! I was feeling really guilty for the time off work (my HR department tried to persuade me to ignore my doctor's note and stay at work) so it's lovely to have some reassurance from people who are independent! 
    As a HR professional I find that appalling from them. We take stress/anxiety/depression very seriously here, although unfortunately not all managers are as sympathetic. Hope you are feeling a little better following your time off.