Autumn Barn Wedding - October 2019

• Congratulations on the baby! How exciting for you! The dress is beautiful, the lace on the bottom and on the train is really pretty. I think your centrepieces are lovely, I like the idea of incorporating the teacups 
  • Congratulations on the baby! How exciting for you! The dress is beautiful, the lace on the bottom and on the train is really pretty. I think your centrepieces are lovely, I like the idea of incorporating the teacups 
    Thank you so much!
    I agree, the lace just seemed to set it off :). I’m such a tea drinker, so it seemed to be the obvious choice! Haha  
  • GinAndBlingGinAndBling Posts: 1,311 New bride
    edited January 2019
    Congratulations!! 

Love your updates x
    Our planning thread: We're completely winging it.
    Our report: A fun, classic May day in navy and blush
    My weightloss thread: Diet denial! 
  • MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,938 New bride
    Congrats on the baby news, will it be a Pembury baby? I live round the corner and my SIL is a midwife there. I'm a mum and would suggest you do as much as possible before baby comes as you really can't prepare yourself for the upheaval this little person will cause!

Love your dress and your centrepieces are lovely too. Never knew there was a bridal shop at The Hop Farm.

• I've just binged read your thread and absolutely love everything! Your dress is gorgeous and the colour scheme is amazing x 

And massive congratulations on your pregnancy, how wonderful for you both x x x 
  • Congratulations!!!! So so excited for you, what a wonderful start to the year!
    Looks like youve done so much recently as well so well done there, its going to be so lovely!
  • Congratulations!! 

Love your updates x
    Thank you!! X
  • MrsCtoBee - Thank you! We're hoping so but not sure yet... we currently live in Northampton, so are hoping to be able to move pretty sharpish to be down here near family. Plus I was born in Pembury so would love my baby to be born there. 
    I had the same thoughts, so I'm glad I had the right thinking. If I can get as much sorted before June, then hopefully, things should be easier! 
    Me either, its very hidden... theres also a beauty salon, flower girl dress shop and suit place there too!

Thank you MrsCarnegie2be... it's taken over a year to get this far, so I feel like I have to get a bit of a wiggle on now!

CoffeeDogAddict - Thank you very much and I know! I think it was the realisation that my time to do everything in has halved... nothing like some pressure to get you motivated! haha. 
    I was born in Pembury too, as was my son, and my parents! It's so nice because they don't have wards and every patient gets a private room, so I didn't have days of no sleep like my friends in Essex who were just on a ward with about 12 other people and their babies and visitors coming and going! Had no idea about the hop Farm, might go and have a nosy one day :)
  • MrsCToBee - Ah thats lovely! Thats one of the reasons why I want to go there... my own space would be very much appreciated. Do! It's lovely there, but right around the back!
  • Bridesmaids gifts
    With wanting to keep the costs down, but still wanting to be able to give the bridesmaids a small gift on the day, I've made these: 

As none of us are big drinkers, I thought these would be better than wine glasses! They were from Ikea and were less than £1 each and then I found the stickers on eBay for £1 for the name and role. I'm pretty pleased with them! I did one for my Mum too as she will be getting ready with us in the morning. I plan to get Z something else as she's been incredible recently and is allowing us to get ready at hers in the morning due to great kitchen lighting for the hair and makeup and being 10 mins away from our venue. 
    Paired with the hangers, which I figured out, if you actually peel the plastic away from the names, they look pretty good and a card, this could be a nice small gesture. Plus were paying for their dresses, hair and make up, so I hoped we wouldn't need anything too elaborate! 
  • I started making the place names for the people that we know are definitely going to be attending. Months ago, I bought some tiny logs on eBay (spot the trend) with a slit in them - designed to be place names. And Mum found some small letter stamps in the range. 

They aren't perfect but I quite like how they aren't uniformed and I thought it nods towards our rustic theme quite nicely! The card was the leftover from the Save the Dates and we've got enough left to do everyone. It also means that if there are any last minute changes, theirs will look the same as everyone else's! 

For the kids favours, I spotted these on wedding mall and so ordered them at the same time as the logs. I'll fill them with smarties or something nearer the time!

For the kids boxes, I also bought these tambourines... I know they aren't essential but I thought they were lovely and it means they can run around and make a bit of noise and have something musical at the disco! I got them from at Etsy shop when they had a sale, so they weren't quite full price either. 

Another not essential thing - wedding cake boxes. I just thought that it would be nice for people to have the option to take some home and not eat it there and then as there will be plenty of food around on the day! Plus, I don't think I've ever eaten wedding cake at the actual wedding, I've always taken some home. I found the white boxes quite cheap on eBay and then used the stamp that we had made to use on our save the dates and invitations to personalise them a little bit!

• MrsA-NToBeMrsA-NToBe Posts: 206 New bride
    edited January 2019
    The bridesmaids saga

Urgh, where do I start! Definitely having a ‘shall we elope’ moment. 
    Two of my bridesmaids are my cousins, who I’ve grown up with and who are ten and five years younger than me. Ever since we were tiny, I said they could be my bridesmaids and so when the time came to pick, I didn’t have much choice!

As a bit of context - I was very close with them both but a couple of months after I asked them, oldest cousin was sectioned. I supported her and her dad (whose a single parent) though this, visiting, being the voice of reason in some extremely difficult circumstances. The things she did and the accusations she made put the two of us through hell. 

Fast forward to now just under a year later, she’s out of the hospital/institution/awful place (take your pick) and is getting there but is not 100% yet. Which is making things really difficult. 

So now I’m trying to find dresses, because of her attitude and mental state, it’s a nightmare. She doesn’t like anything I pick, doesn’t like the colour (sorry love, but that’s the colour scheme, deal with it!). Then trying to find a date when everyone’s free... she won’t commit to a date, will not get that the shop isn’t open on sundays and so it has to be a Saturday, and keeps booking days off her part time job that I haven’t confirmed as an appointment and then being grumpy when the shop doesn’t have space that day! 

I cant un-bridesmaid her, as she would make little cousins life miserable and that’s not fair. I understand that she can’t help some of it, but frustratingly, I’m certain she’s aware how she’s behaving. 

If anyone has had awkward bridesmaids and come out the other side, or just advice! I’d love to hear how you managed it! 
  • Bridesmaid dresses
    At the weekend, I took MOH and Mum to look at bridesmaid dresses in GoBridal in Tunbridge Wells, as Mum's boss had raved about them after she bought her wedding dress there. The idea being, Z could try on some dresses, we could narrow the options down and then go back with all the girls! 
    We genuinely had the best morning, it turns out that the lady who works there, Flo, Z and I went to school with and so we had the loveliest morning catching up and chatting weddings and babies. Bless her, Z tried on close to 10 dresses for us, as having four girls with different needs was trickier than I had thought! But we have shortlisted 3 and then spent the rest of the morning in Pret googling them in our colours. 

These are our final three options in the Burgundy that we'll be having. Two and three are pretty similar and unless I'm very much mistaken, I think that we will end up with option 3. Number 2 looked stunning on Z, but as Flo was saying, anyone with a slight tummy, the lace accentuates this, so I think that one may be out! Option 1 is lovely, but I think R (who will be 16 when we get married - but its very very petite) will think its too low cut, as she's really self conscious about cleavage/neck areas. But at least they'll all be able to have a try and *hopefully* we can have a unanimous decision. We're going back on the 26th, so send all the luck! 
    edited January 2019

Love the dresses, gorgeous colour!

I bought my dress at Go Bridal and Flo did my second appointment, and was also the consultant when my best friend bought her dress - she's really lovely. Such a small world, I'm starting to feel a bit stalker-ish on your thread, sorry!

• Beautiful dresses 😍 my daughter has a burgundy dress x x 
  • MrsCToBee said:

Love the dresses, gorgeous colour!

I bought my dress at Go Bridal and Flo did my second appointment, and was also the consultant when my best friend bought her dress - she's really lovely. Such a small world, I'm starting to feel a bit stalker-ish on your thread, sorry!

Thank you!
    Haha, no... It’s so nice to know someone from our end of the country and be able to share suggestions! 
  • Beautiful dresses 😍 my daughter has a burgundy dress x x 
    Thank you!! Such a winter wedding-y colour 😊 x
  • Videograper
    Realised I hadn't updated about this even though we booked in May last year time! After a lot of thought, I decided that having a videographer was one of my musts. I know it isn't essential for most people and we could have easily not had one, but for me, it was important. I've grown up around photography and videos (Dad and Uncle both photograph for their jobs - but its also a passion for them) and there are tapes and tapes of videos of our holidays when I was little, me growing up, all the big events. After loosing my beloved Gran over 7 years ago now, I have one small clip of her talking and it is so cherished and I wish I had more. We're only going to have one wedding (hopefully!) and so I'd like something to watch back with our child when they're old enough, something to remember. I'm a sentimental fool... I know! 

I spent a lot of time trawling the internet for the perfect person because if we were going to spend our money on this, I wanted it to be right. Our photographer also gave us some suggestions but none seemed quite right... and then I stumbled across Philip - https://www.philipsmithvisuals.com/site/ . Admittedly, he does have a certain style (which my mum told me last week she really doesn't like :/ ) but me and D love it. What sold him for me was a shot he does where the ceremony rooms starts off empty and then fills up as people arrive... I like!
    We met him at Lakeside to have a chat, because being comfortable around him was super important for me, and it was genuinely like having a chat with one of our friends.
    So he was booked and he then sent a lovely email at New Year, wishing us well and he looks forward to working with us this year. I'm not easily impressed, but something small like that, that was completely un-needed, but also very thoughtful, is most appreciated!
  • Just ordered my wedding shoes! Very excited! They were reduced to £15 in the ASOS sale. I know they aren't white but I really like them and my bouquet will have some light pink roses in and so if they are seen, they won't be completely out of place!

• I love them 
  • I love them 
    Thank you! For the price, I couldn’t not! 
  • What a lovely thread, I love your ideas and am jealous of your colour scheme - it was what I wanted but I couldn’t make it work with the bridesmaid dresses and found some total bargains so we ended up with dove grey/ silver. 

Your dress is gorgeous ❤️
  • What a lovely thread, I love your ideas and am jealous of your colour scheme - it was what I wanted but I couldn’t make it work with the bridesmaid dresses and found some total bargains so we ended up with dove grey/ silver. 

Your dress is gorgeous ❤️
    Thank you very much! 😊. Funnily enough, I read through yours thinking how nice your bridesmaid colours were and how well that would have worked if we didn’t go for burgundy! 
  • Although over the last few months life seriously took over and wedding planning had to take a back seat, i've been buying bits and bobs when I've seen them. I've been putting together activity boxes for the children coming to our wedding and have got a few things so far...

To go inside the box we've got: crayons, a note book, a colouring book, a shaped rubber, some bubbles and some sticky notes. I'm really trying to keep costings down so have been trawling the pound shops and so far, each box is coming in at under £2ish. I'm not entirely sure where to go from here but I'm sure they will progress with time!

Love reading your thread so far! All really exciting stuff!! 

Where did you get the boxes from? Definitely going to have to steal this idea. 

Thanks
  • Suits 
    On our way home from a weekend away seeing D's uni friends up north this weekend, we made a pitstop with one of his Best Men at Slaters in Birmingham. It was much bigger than I expected and I think D was a tad overwhelmed at the choice! We found one that he liked and D's Best Man tried it on as it was in his size (at 6'6" there wasn't much in D's size!). 
    They didn't have any white shirts that he could try them on with, so you have to use your imagination a bit, plus a Burgundy tie!

Both D and M got measured too so they knew what they'd need to order.
    I don't know if it was the branch that we went into or the time of the year but none of the sales assistants - and there were plenty - seemed to want to help us. When we eventually found one who was semi helpful, he said that for an October wedding, he wouldn't look at suits until September, which seemed crazy to me! Apart from the fact, I'm not willing to deal with a two month old, plus traipsing around figuring out suits for 5 guys, surely that does not give enough time. 
    He said that they don't really have any stock at the moment and all their new lighter colours (despite the fact we said it was a winter wedding and we wanted dark colours) came in March time and so, if we had to, come back then, but September was better.
    It did give us a starting point. We know all the others need to get measured so we know what to order in, we know roughly what we want thanks to M's trying on, but we came away a bit deflated that no one really wanted to help when we were willing to give them our money for 5 suits!! 
    D wants to go back in March, so I think we'll try then, but I'm tempted to try the one in Canterbury and hope for some more helpful sales assistants this time. 
    How annoying! I hate it when shops have rubbish customer service, I'd probably go elsewhere, but it REALLY irritates me!
  • GinAndBlingGinAndBling Posts: 1,311 New bride
    That's such a shame, FH is using Slaters (albeit hiring) and has found them amazing so far. We went into the Birmingham store too to try on my Bridesman's suit and we found them to be useful. Hopefully they were just having an off day... 
    Our planning thread: We're completely winging it.
    Our report: A fun, classic May day in navy and blush
    My weightloss thread: Diet denial! 
  • Thanks both! 

I’m the same MrsCtoBee, I’d happily take our custom elsewhere, but now D’s found the suit he wants, it’s a bit more difficult! 

That gives me hope GinAndBling! Hopefully you’re and it was just that we didn’t go at quite the right time and they’ll be as helpful as they were for you next time!