7th June 2018 - Our Country House Wedding

Hello! I love reading all your planning threads and so thought I would do one of my own... 

My Love Story

I met my fiancé, M, through work. I had very recently ended a relationship and he had been single for a good few months. Due to me only recently coming out of a relationship I was reeeaally not looking to meet someone else. When M asked me out for a coffee, although we got on very well and I was of course attracted to him, I declined. We continued to chat out of work and went on a few ’work nights’ and got on so well that when our training course finished in April (there months later) we went on our first date and it just went from there...

Things moved quickly for us, I’m a firm believer of when you know, you know! I like to think that I am generally a very steady, sensible person and so when M moved in with me to the house I was renting only six months later, it was quite unusual for me! Three months later things were still fantastic and we decided to look at buying a house together. In true ‘us’ style, we loved the first house we went to view, put in a cheeky offer and got an absolute bargain! December 18th 2015 - we were home owners!

25th December 2016, our first proper Christmas in our new home. The previous year we still had the rented house and so had not been in our ‘home’ for Christmas. We were both working Christmas Day on lates and so had invited both sets of families round for a Christmas brunch. We got up, made a cup of tea and put on some Christmas music whilst we opened our presents together. When we had finished I started tidying up the wrapping paper when M said to me he had got me another gift in the tree. I started to search through the branches and after around five minutes I got fed up and told him I didn’t want another present anyway! With that, M leant in to the tree, pulled out a box and got down on one knee... this was followed by tears, hugs, kisses and me then telling him off for not asking my Mum. Five minutes later we were knocking on her door. More tears, hugs & kisses. Mum knew, Mum was happy!

The rest of the morning was lovely, it was such a good time to propose with everyone getting together at ours soon afterwards. Made it that little bit more special to have everyone there! We also did the whole Facebook announcement and when we got to work and was sat in briefing our photo came up on the big screen, with everyone giving us a round of applause. I wasn’t looking forward to work after having such an amazing morning but to be honest, it was fantastic being able to show off my ring and have everyone congratulate us!! 

• MrsThimboMrsThimbo Posts: 222

The Ring

I never thought I could fall in love with a piece of jewellery until I saw my ring! It is a yellow gold, oval shaped morganite ring with a halo of diamonds. It’s very pretty, different and so special to me. He did good! 

Oh, and now seems like a good time to introduce our cat, Meg. She won’t be coming to our wedding but I will be including a few Meg inspired bits in to our big day. I love cats (even have a cat tattoo) & so if I can include cats in there too then I will...

• Rin NightRin Night Posts: 167 New bride

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH my goodness yous sound just like us! Me and FI met through work too, shortly after previous relationships ended, our relationship moved super quick, and the proposal was Christmas day at home with a "secret extra gift"!

Spooky! Will definitly be keeping an eye on your thread ;)

Also, gorgeous ring! And what a pretty kitty! x

Remember, when stressed, simply channel your inner Bridechilla: Take a sand bath, munch some veggies, then chew on a wooden stick... wait... no... that's a Chinchilla... 

My planning thread

The Venue

We had been for Afternoon Tea at a Country House near us. My OH had arranged it as a bit of a special date day. It is somewhere I had been before as one of my closest friends had got married there a few years back and I was bridesmaid for her. I loved it and whilst we were there sipping fizz, we joked about living there. The Venue is called ‘Rowley Manor’ and has the R&M as the logo on everything, which coincidentally is both of our first initials! Upon getting engaged we looked online and found a few places that we talked about, but none that stuck in our minds like Rowley. We arranged to go, had a meeting with the Wedding Planner and set the date for the 7th June 2018!

The 7th June is a Thursday, which although it is unusual, we work shifts so any day of the week is as good as the other! We knew our guest list would be small with pretty much family only coming to the day and then work friends to the evening who would be on a rest day like us... the money we saved doing it on a week day was a huuuge plus point too!

The Girls 

Like most of you I had in my mind from the start who I would be asking to be my bridesmaids!

My younger brothers girlfriend, who I am really close to, N. N has been around for years and is like a sister to me. We see each other all the time and are motivating each other to loose weight before our weddings! I say weddings plural because a couple of months after we got engaged, my brother and N did. They set their wedding date for three months after ours.

My next Bridesmaid is M’s sister, A. We get on really well and it was important to me to include his family as much as possible. She was really pleased to be asked and is really excited!

Last but not least, my friend who had previously been married at Rowley Manor when I was her Bridesmaid, she is also an A so will use her nickname and call her P!

I asked the girls by giving them a little gift bag with a mini bottle of wine/prosecco, a little candle and a framed picture of the two of us. These went down really well and I’m glad I made the effort to do something special. Above is me and A :)

The Boys

We have no pictures of the boys things because in true boy style, no one took any pictures!

M asked his brother, R, to be Best Man and my two brothers, S & J to be Ushers.

We did the same for the boys, got gift bags and put a framed picture of the two of them in it. We also put a scratch card in there with a message about being ‘lucky to have you’ and asking them to be Best Man/Usher. To finish it off we got them a bottle of JD & Coke. The boys were really pleased with them too so all in all, sorting the Wedding Party was a success!

Colour Scheme

I wanted to encorporate my engagement ring in to the theme as much as possible. From looking over good old Pinterest I found I was drawn to vintage rose prints, hessian, gold and greenery. So putting all these together and TA-DAH! We had our theme!

My OH is in to Marvel and so we discussed (small) ways for these to be introduced to our wedding day and came up with some ideas which he was happy with!

Dress Shopping

I don’t know what I expected when I went looking for ’the dress’... I suppose I had pictures of me being hot and sweaty, stressed, surrounded by dresses, being rushed and pushed with various opinions thrown at me. I couldn’t have been more wrong. My Mum, my OH’s Mum and my OH’s Grandma were on the Dress Committee! We went to wed2be as our budget wasn’t huge and I had seen a few I liked on their Facebook page. We were working on doing our house up and I just didn’t want to spend thousands on a dress for one day. At the same time I obviously wanted something that would make me feel amazingly beautiful and special! 

We didn’t have to book an appointment and went on a Friday morning and arrived about 11am. There was literally no one else there. They had a huuuuge selection of dresses and I set about choosing dresses. I picked 3/4 and surprisingly I felt I looked ok in all of them! I‘m quite tall, about 5ft 9 and around a size 10. I felt I could carry off most styles although (I suppose like most girls) I am really weight conscious and feel big and fat most of the time... Anyway, none of them felt amazing and off the Mums went to go and select some dresses. They came back with another 4/5 dresses and amongst them was the one! I definitely had that OMG moment. Tears and hugs later and I had my dress! Mum paid, despite me telling her not to and we went out for lunch and a glass of wine to celebrate. 

The Dress :)

So... I wanted ivory or white, off the shoulder or backless, reserved’ V’ neck, mermaid style, lace, no train.

I got blush coloured with sleeves, buttoned back, very low plunge neck line, embroidered top, huge skirt with huge train! 

Advice: TRY ON EVERYTHING!!

The Photographer

I didn’t really have anyone in mind as a photographer and spent a lot of time googling different names and emailing for quotes. I was quite disappointed as a few didn’t get back to me and some of the ones that did were booked (for a Thursday, that was sixteen months away at the time!?). I started to have a little panic and one day whilst scrolling through facebook an advert popped up for a Photographer, man and wife team, from Doncaster, which is where M is from.

I went on to the website, looked through the onlineportfolio and loved them! They were doing a New Year offer and I contacted them straisn’t away. A short time later I got a phone call and after a 15min chat, with easy conversation and a bit of a laugh, I booked them! The quote was fantastic and included full day coverage from getting ready to after the first dance, two photographers, images on a USB and an engagement shoot! I couldn’t believe our luck.

E&K Creative were booked for the 7th June 2018! www.eandkcreative.co.uk

The Cake

I originally planned on making the cake myself, it was something I wanted to do and I felt the quotes I had got for the cakes were crazy... £400-500 for a simple three tier. I had a couple of practise run and got the perfect recipe, I was going to make a three tier naked cake as I didn’t want the stress of worrying about icing it! It tasted good and I knew what I needed to do in the future to improve it! However, I was worrying about timings and worrying about transporting to the Venue and started to stress about whether it was the right thing or not...

Around two months later I was chatting to a girl at work who was getting married soon. She happened to mention a lady who had been recommended to her who made cakes at home. I contacted her and got a quote which was fantastic and so cheap compared to the others I’d had, £195 for three tiers.

We went for a cake tasting (OH’s favourite part so far) & decided on a butter cream iced cake, vanilla, lemon and chocolate sponge. It all tasted amazing!! There was so much so we had to take some home!

The lady had to change the appointment time twice and was so apologetic and gave us a 10% off - £175!! We have got our own gold ribbon and a glitter gold topper saying ‘Best Day Ever’ for the top and a little gold cat for the second tier down. I’m also planning to get the florist to put something together for the top. It will look something like this...

The Band

My OH and I both love live music and we were keen from the start on having a band. After the Venue this is our biggest expense but we felt that it came high on our list of wants and we weren’t going to be doing anything else in the form of entertainment. So after further internet research I found The English Country Gentlemen.

More emails were sent and a week later and after watching several YouTube videos and reading ALOT of online reviews, they were booked too!  

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4mE3wZmUIC8

• Such a pretty venue!  Were you able to get any pics inside?  It's going to make for stunning pictures outside on your big day!

Your relationship did move quickly, didn't it?  Mine did too - my OH proposed just short of a year of dating each other.  We actually had never even discussed marriage, and after a nasty divorce for each of us, I wasn't even sure how he felt about getting married again!

Your kitty is so cute...reminds me of mine a little...don't mind the sad ears, he was feral and they think they had frostbite :(

• Oh wow, your ring is absolutely beautiful!! Love the coloured stone - I went for a coloured stone too. Cake sounds amazing and got to love a bargain.

I'm hoping to go to wed2be in a couple of months. I went when I was a bridesmaid for a friend and loved that you can try on so many different styles in your actually style. 

KittyFiennes - OMG! How cute is your cat! Thanks for sharing, he’s gorgeous!! I’ll get some inside Venue photos on :) 

Betweentwolungs - Thank you! Just had a look at your thread and your ring is stunning! You don’t see too many yellow gold rings around, gorgeous!! 

Rowley Manor in Pictures

Bridal Suite 

Ceremony Room

Reception Room

Bar Area

Reception & Entrance Hall 

Wedding Shoes

Wedding shoes have been purchased! I absolutely LOVE them. I’m not a shoe person and wanted something pretty, feminine and ivory to match the embroidery on the top of my dress. Due to me being so tall I knew I didn’t want something with a huge heel. My Mum was doing her 100th order from Debenhams for hats and bags and shoes and I happened to see these and added them to her order...

I really do love them and they are something that I can wear again and again! They are also super comfy. This has made me feel really excited again :) I’ve also ordered some decals for the bottom of them, with my new surname on one and the wedding date on the other. These were £4 from Etsy, hopefully they’ll arrive soon!

Bridesmaid Dresses

So the Bridesmaid dresses were something that caused me alot of stress initially. My main problem being that I had in my head what I wanted and could not find anything like it! I knew I wanted a shift dress style on the top - sounds selfish but I wanted the top to be completely opposite to my dress. I also knew that I wanted a tulle bottom, like my dress, but calf length. Pretty and girly! I also wanted floral print if possible, vintage roses in blush pinks. So I didnt want much! My inspiration...

So after spending a lot of time looking online, on eBay, in shops and just about eveywhere else online I decided I would have to change my mind on what I wanted. The other issue is A is about a size 20 but is desperately trying to loose weight to W-Day, N is trying to loose weight for her own W-Day which will also mean she will be slimmer for mine and P is currently 27wks pregnant (YEY!) and will be having her baby boy around 6wks before W-Day so a bit unsure on what her size will be... this meant that I would have to hold off on buying the dresses anyway! After discussing this with my FMIL she quite simply said, ‘Well, I’ll just make them for you!’ So that was that, we discussed materials and patterns and she made some quick sample dresses in an hour or so out of cheaper material with similar colours and I love them!

• So... ASDA has Prosecco on offer for £5 a bottle.

Needless to say, I stocked up! Hen Party, Wedding Morning... here we come!

• Save the Dates 

I’m a little late to the party with starting this but wanted to share my STD’s with you which we sent out July/August time...

The photo is a mini square one of the picture we took outside Rowley Manor, the day we booked it. We fastened them together with the twine. I was really chuffed with them, they cost about £16 for 30 in total. Bargain!

I loved the Kraft card and I’m a little annoyed with myself because we haven’t gone with Kraft cards for the main invites. If I had planned a bit more in advance I would have used the same style STD to match the Invitations... its not a big deal in the great scheme of things and I loved the STD at the time so I‘m still pleased with them. I’ve encorporated kraft and white card to the other bits of wedding stationary so it all still fits in :) 

• Bridesmaids Updates

Material has been purchased! I have chosen a vintage rose print for the top and a blush pink skirt that picks out the blush pink in the rose print. I’ve also chosen a light pink tulle for over the top of the skirt. I can’t wait to see it all put together! The total cost of all material is £63!! Eeeeeek!

• MrsT2Be wrote (see post):

So... ASDA has Prosecco on offer for £5 a bottle.

Needless to say, I stocked up! Hen Party, Wedding Morning... here we come!

OOOO thanks for the heads up!! Need to get to Asda asap! xxx

• ruthi1979 - Yey! Someone is reading my post! Haha! :) I keep checking all the deals online as want to get some champers & spirits as thank you gifts. I absolutely love a good bargain!

• So today I got round to finally sorting out M’s presents for the morning of the wedding.

With some of our guests staying over and us all having breakfast together the following morning I wanted to get him something cheesy to wear - because if you can’t do it the day after your wedding, when can you!? So I got him this t-shirt with ‘hubby‘ on... I had pinned the matching ‘wifey’ one on my Pinterest board and he was having a look over my shoulder at it and asked when I would wear it so I said about my breakfast idea and I’m hoping he went and got one there & then, otherwise he’ll have forgotten by now!

Next was cufflinks (theyre in the little black box) Standard really. I would have loved to have got him some lovely meaningful ones but part of his marvel theme was to give each of the boys, him included, a marvel character and have the cufflinks/socks. He is Captain America. I’m literally rolling my eyes at this but hey, it’s his big day too! He’s got socks too in the same style of the other boys. He’s also got a bottle of his favourite beer and an engraved wooden bottle opener that says ‘My Hubby x’ and a ‘Don’t For Husbands‘ book.

The tie pin in there is a bit special. Before I met M he lost his Grandad. I’m really sad that I didn’t get the meet him as M absolutely idolised him. We were talking about the wedding one day and he made a comment about being said that he wouldn’t be able to have a drink with his Grandad. This is a picture of him and his Grandad when he was little which I have had made in to a tie pin. I’m hoping it’ll ease any sadness he’s feeling on the day.

I’ll also get him a card and some chocolate or something to ‘finish‘ the box off!

His main gift is a pocket watch. It had his surname on the back of the clock face and is gold. I have got ‘Until the end of time...’ engraved on the back of it but do not like how they have done the spacing which is really playing on my mind. I ordered it months ago so don’t know if it’s a bit cheeky to message now. I may be changing this but it was expensive so not sure what to do... 

• Next job is to sort out the boxes for Bridesmaids, Groomsmen, Father of the Groom and the Mums. I’ve got everything ready for them but just need to put them all together. Really looking forward to doing this! These are things that we are going to give them on the morning of the wedding...

We’ve also got ‘Thank You‘ Gifts for speeches which I need to DIY for the Bridesmaids and Groomsmens so that is a work in progress! We’ve got bits for my Mum and her partner and M’s Mum and Dad too. I’ve got a few days off next week that I am hoping will be super productive... for anyone that is reading then I’ll keep you updated!! :)

• Kelly224Kelly224 Posts: 962 New bride

Love your hubby gifts!  They are really sweet and thoughtful!

• Thank you Kelly224 - I was really pleased with them! :)

• So our wedding invites have been handed/posted out! They are probably the thing that I deliberated about for the longest & changed my mind about, numerous times. I kept telling myself that they are only invites and people would like them whatever they look like because they are pleased to be part of The day and pleased to be asked... At the same time, after the save the dates, they are the first thing that people get to give them a feeling of your wedding day, so it’s so important that they are right! Anyway, here are ours...

• Loving your thread so far MrsT2Be! That tie pin for your husband is such a thoughtful idea Xx

• Thank you William2James! It wasn’t expensive, eBay is a life saver!! 😁

• So this weekend I was working nights and had a bit of time when I got up and was slobbing in my PJ’s to put together the boxes for our Mums... I am so pleased with them! Both Mums are getting ready with me on the morning of the Wedding along with M’s Grandma and the Bridesmaids. So they’ll both be getting hair & make up done and I have got them a silk gown to wear along with this...

I’M SO EXCITED!!

• Loving your gifts - really thoughtful 

I've just ordered personalised vaseline tins for my BMs and looking forward to collecting other little bits for them. xx

I have been playing around with centrepieces over the past few days and have decided on the final formation!

So white table linen on round tables. One smallish clear spirits bottle with some kind of lace/hessian/ribbon on it with the lights in. These are amazing and were from eBay! Fabulous purchase! Then there will be a taller decorated wine bottle with a single rose in it. A gold table number, a gold frame with the Menu in, a floral candle, a gold candle with pearls around the base and then a jar with a posey of flowers in. I’m really hoping it’s enough!