Casual wedding by the Loch - May 2019

• Well, we decided to book Balloch House as we wanted the private room with direct access to outside if we happen to have a repeat of this year's fabulous weather.

Now I need to think about my dress, and I'm dreading it. For some strange reason this is giving me huge anxiety. I have no idea what type I want: short, long, fitted, lace, plain??? I have no idea why this is giving me such a problem. I'm not the most glamorous girl; I mostly wear jeans although I have been known on occasion to wear the odd dress. But your wedding dress should be special, right?

I'm supposed to be going to a wedding fair this Sunday and I haven't told any of my family. I have visions of my mum and sister pushing me into picking and choosing things I am just not ready for, or have no clue about what I want exactly. Was going to visit with just my daughter to try and keep it relaxed but I'm in two minds whether to go at all. I'm sure I should be more enthusiastic but I worry too much. I worry that the simple wedding that I want will be looked down on by my family, especially as my cousin, who got engaged just after me, is apparently planning a big shindig in Dubai and will be a much more glitzy affair. 

Aaarrgghh, this post is more down than I intended it to be. I am happy and excited about getting married, just having silly thoughts which are clouding my prep.

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,137 New bride

Just wanted to say I totally feel you with the worry/lack of enthusiasm particularly with dress shopping. I don't love shopping at the best of times, have some body confidence issues which don't help and am in the same boat really with not knowing what I want. I think I kind of know what I don't want.... or do I?! Anyway the whole thing gives me a bit of anxiety really and I too worry that I'll go and hate it and then never go back, or that my Mum and Nan (who I'll take with me) will hate everything I like! I've booked one appointment for July but haven't even told anyone yet. We get married next May too so I do need to start looking! It's all a bit overwhelming. Anyway I'm not really sure what the solution is - just to let you know you're not alone! I've found breaking it down in to small topics with my fiance and just talking through the options in small chunks / for small periods of time helpful as when I look at the bigger picture I just don't see how it all comes together yet. I'm sure we'll both get there. Maybe biting the bullet and just trying on a couple of dresses will be the magic turning point!!

Your venue looks stunning by the way! Rain or shine your photos will be stunning!

• Ashley72 wrote (see post):

Just wanted to say I totally feel you with the worry/lack of enthusiasm particularly with dress shopping. I don't love shopping at the best of times, have some body confidence issues which don't help and am in the same boat really with not knowing what I want. I think I kind of know what I don't want.... or do I?! Anyway the whole thing gives me a bit of anxiety really and I too worry that I'll go and hate it and then never go back, or that my Mum and Nan (who I'll take with me) will hate everything I like! I've booked one appointment for July but haven't even told anyone yet. We get married next May too so I do need to start looking! It's all a bit overwhelming. Anyway I'm not really sure what the solution is - just to let you know you're not alone! I've found breaking it down in to small topics with my fiance and just talking through the options in small chunks / for small periods of time helpful as when I look at the bigger picture I just don't see how it all comes together yet. I'm sure we'll both get there. Maybe biting the bullet and just trying on a couple of dresses will be the magic turning point!!

Your venue looks stunning by the way! Rain or shine your photos will be stunning!

Thank you so much.

I'm sorry you are feeling this way too but it's 'nice' knowing I'm not the only who feels like it.

I might just do the same as you... bite the bullet and go dress shopping. My daughter actually asked if we could go out just the two of us first so maybe I'll do that.

I hope you find a dress you love!!!

• Well I attended my first wedding fayre today. It was just me and my daughter, and the fayre itself was fairly relaxed which suited me fine (might have helped that we got there as soon as it opened). I walked away with a dress appointment, a consultation about a ring and quotes for flowers. 

Now just got to get to the end of term and then I can get more planning done.

• Nothing 'wedding' has been done lately, unless you count the fact that after much, much, much... research, I know roughly what I want for a wedding dress (well, I definitely know what I don't want, if that counts). However, today is mine and H2B's 15 year anniversary. We have decided that after the wedding, we will only celebrate that anniversary so this will be the last time we do an anniversary celebration in July 

• Cecilia13Cecilia13 Posts: 475 New bride

Loving hearing about it all so far!

Re dress, I wouldn't put too much pressure on yourself! I just sort of found mine by accident and it's gorgeous; I didn't go out to find 'the dress', just walked past some and so had a look and I really liked one. Maybe I just got lucky, but I think as it wasn't such a big deal to me to begin with I didn't panic and scrutinise every detail about them and it was much easier. I think some of my bridesmaids were a bit upset as they wanted to go and do a formal trying on dresses thing, but I think just going with your daughter will be lovely and you won't have pressure from lots of opinions.

• Cecilia13Cecilia13 Posts: 475 New bride

PS the views from your venue are SO GORGEOUS!!!

• Everyone's kind words have helped as I approached my wedding dress shopping.

In one shop, I tried on three dresses and my favourite was the most 'unbridal' wedding dress in the shop, but I loved it (bit different just like me). It's a completely different style to what I went looking for.

image image

However, I also found dress number 2 and loved what it did for my figure, plus I love the back.

image image

Please excuse the back as the dress was a bit big for me.

The fact that I found 2 dresses I liked, and without so much as a tiny breakdown, it has made this wedding all the more real and exciting for me.

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,137 New bride

Yay! I love the floral one as it’s so different but the second is gorgeous and so flattering on your figure. It frames your tattoo on your back really nicely too.

Glad your first dress shopping experience went better than expected. Mine was the same - I don’t know what we were so worried about!

Are you going to look at others? 

• I've been to 2 shops and tried on about 10 dresses overall. These are the 2 I like the best. 

I want to get my dress 100% sorted by the end of my summer holidays (I teach at a college so we have to back and getting ready for the new term on the 20th August).

I've also had a design consultation for my wedding ring. I want a ring using three colours to represent me, my H2B and our daughter, but I haven't seen any I really like yet. We're only getting one ring (H2B doesn't wear jewellery) so I can spend a little bit more on this than originally planned.

Ashley, how did your shopping go? How many have you tried?

• So I decided to buy the ivory dress. Or should I say, my mum kindly paid for it. 

It was reduced as it was an ex sample but the lady found a couple of things that needed doing (the belt is fraying at the back, but she said that it can be fixed when it gets taken in) so she took a little bit more off the price. We ended up paying £300, down from £650. It's now at my mum's house until we get alterations done.

I was in London yesterday with my daughter for a show and some shopping. We were mooching around New Look and was checking out the shoe sale when I found some sparkly, silver shoes - from £35 to £16. I just need to figure out how to add photos from my phone to here.

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,596 New bride

Congrats on the dress, would love to see a pic!

• This is the one. Please ignore my goofy face, I can't remember what I was saying in this moment.

The dress needs taking in so the sash at the back should sit much better after alterations.

These are the shoes I picked up in New Look. I thought that it would go with the little bit of sparkle on the shoulders and on the belt.

Because my wedding is so small, I don't really have a bridal party but we've decided that my daughter is going to be an actual bridesmaid. I've told her she can wear whatever dress she likes, as long as it's purple. Being a teenager, she wants a short dress which is fine, as long as it's not too short. So now we're on the look out for a dress we both approve of. Any suggestions? I'm going to look in bridal shops but I'm not particularly fussed if it's not a 'proper' bridesmaid dress.

Edit - for some reason my photos were too big and have disappeared so will try again.

Today is my last day of the summer holidays (I teach in a college so we have to go back earlier than schools so we can help with enrolment and prep for the coming term). Was hoping to have a bit more booked by this time but it's not like we have nothing done so maybe I just need to chill a bit more.

You look absolutely amazing! Love it.

I also have sparkly heels from New Look for my wedding, I always find their heels really comfy.

For your daughter I'd suggest looking at Little Mistress/Quiz/Chi Chi.

• MrsCToBee wrote (see post):

You look absolutely amazing! Love it.

I also have sparkly heels from New Look for my wedding, I always find their heels really comfy.

For your daughter I'd suggest looking at Little Mistress/Quiz/Chi Chi.

Good idea.We have a Quiz and a Little Mistress at Lakeside (only 10 minute drive from me) so think I'll check those first.

I bought heels from New Look for my sister's wedding and kept those on all day and most of the evening with no problems. We're just having a family dinner after the wedding so won't have to dance in them.

Bought one of those chalkboard countdown signs today from B&M (down to £1.50, plus the chalk came with it - easily pleased). Also bought a light up sign to put our own special wedding message on - down from 12.99 to 7.99. 

Not wedding related but on my way home I got a call from my new line manager informing me that we can't move into our new campus as the internet is not being sorted for another 2 weeks, just before the new term starts. So no idea where I'll be based as our old office was emptied and closed off during the holidays... and I thought wedding stuff was stressful.

H2B and I finally agree on the type of cake we want. After going back and forth (and back and forth and back and forth, etc.) I found this by a woman close to where we're getting married. We asked if we could change the roses to cherry blossoms which she said was easily done. We can also have a different flavour for each tier. So, it looks like we have one more thing ticked off the list.

Still looking for hair and makeup but made several enquiries so hoping I get that sorted soon. Would be lovely to have all the big things arranged before my students get back and I have no time to do anything.

• Candice9Candice9 Posts: 230

I can't see the dress 

I am having a real nightmare trying to mind a bridesmaid dress for my teenager (shes neary 14), everyone caters for either adults or 3 year old flower girls!

• KerryNash2B wrote (see post):

H2B and I finally agree on the type of cake we want. After going back and forth (and back and forth and back and forth, etc.) I found this by a woman close to where we're getting married. We asked if we could change the roses to cherry blossoms which she said was easily done. We can also have a different flavour for each tier. So, it looks like we have one more thing ticked off the list.

Still looking for hair and makeup but made several enquiries so hoping I get that sorted soon. Would be lovely to have all the big things arranged before my students get back and I have no time to do anything.

Wow wow wow!
    What a fancy cake! I think it'll look stunning with the cherry blossoms!

• Candice9 wrote (see post):

I can't see the dress 

I am having a real nightmare trying to mind a bridesmaid dress for my teenager (shes neary 14), everyone caters for either adults or 3 year old flower girls!

The photos I originally put on seem to have disappeared so I'll try again later once I get home.

And I'm having similar issues for my daughter. She's 13 so doesn't want anything like the flower girl dresses she's worn in the past but alot of the dresses she's seen are not 'cool' or 'modern' enough for her. I will keep looking 😫

• image imageimage

I'm trying again with my dress and shoes photo.

Dress needs to be taken in so it should cover my bra at the back eventually.

The shoes were in the sale so bought them as I don't think I'll get anything else that I like for the same price.

• JessieNG94 wrote (see post):
    KerryNash2B wrote (see post):

Wow wow wow!
    What a fancy cake! I think it'll look stunning with the cherry blossoms!

I hope so, it's the only one that we could agree on. For someone who has been laid back about the whole wedding, he got rather passionate about the cake, or at least what he didn't want for the cake 

• Candice9Candice9 Posts: 230

That dress is STUNNING. I LOVE the back of it so much!!

• Oooh love your thread, it's definitely always good to hear about a wedding that's a bit different and good on you for doing the wedding that you and H2B want, not what family and friends think you should have. 

Not wedding related, but today is my birthday. I'm 38 years old and feel pretty good about it. Maybe because I refuse to really grow up... studded boots out to lunch, why not. Happy Saturday to all you lovely brides to be x

Happy birthday!

• KerryNash2B wrote (see post):

Not wedding related, but today is my birthday. I'm 38 years old and feel pretty good about it. Maybe because I refuse to really grow up... studded boots out to lunch, why not. Happy Saturday to all you lovely brides to be x

Happy Birthday! Hope you've had a lovely day so far! 

• I've had a lovely birthday, eating and drinking far too much, but birthday calories never count, right?

I'm now sitting on my sofa, drinking a beer and realising that my next birthday will be as a married woman. I know nothing much will be different, except that when I turn 39 I will be a wife... eeeeek!!

• Back to reality as the new term has begun and I've started to meet my new students.

That also means that I'll have less time to look on all the planning threads 

So far this week we have put the deposit down for our cake, booked a consultation for our flowers and trawling through all the messages I have sent and received about hair and makeup. This is the bit that has been bugging me the most. I want myself and my daughter to be pampered and have hair and makeup (after finally deciding to treat myself and not do my own as originally planned) but my mum and sister want theirs done. Well they do, then they don't, then just hair, but not for my sister, then maybe makeup, but mum wants her hair done now..... aaaarrrrggghhhhh!!!

If it was just me and my daughter, this would have been sorted by now. It's only a small wedding and many ladies only travel for a minimum of three people so it would be helpful if my family made a decision and stuck to it.

Oh well. Back to flowers. I went to a wedding back in August and I love the bride's bouquet image

They are all faux flowers, which I wanted, and I loved the differences in the flowers (colour and size). Alot of the artificial bouquets I've seen use the same flowers throughout, with the odd one a different colour. I'm hoping the lady can put me together something with a range of flowers and colours... maybe even a cherry blossom or two... fingers crossed.

• FutureMrsTomlin wrote (see post):

Oooh love your thread, it's definitely always good to hear about a wedding that's a bit different and good on you for doing the wedding that you and H2B want, not what family and friends think you should have. 

Thank you.

If I had the wedding my mother wanted, it would probably be a copy of my sister's wedding and that is definitely not me.

She makes comments every so often but I just try to let it go over my head - or drink plenty of wine, whichever comes first 

• Ahh i've just found this and i love it all!!! I love how youre doing exactly whyat you want, and your whole style and vibe is awesome!! 

Fingers crossed being back at school/work isnt too much of a nightmare!