Forum home Your planning threads

What Am I Doing?! - April 2020/2021 (A Tale Of Two Weddings)

• Cecilia13Cecilia13 Posts: 512 New bride
    I love the tulip idea 😍 also  I think the thing about flowers is that in the end I think most types and colours look lovely together; in nature/ gardens you see a mix of colours and types and heights and they all look beautiful and natural together.. so I say just get the ones you want/like and it'll look lovely!
  • MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,957 New bride
    Just seen all the flower ideas, lush!
    Tulips are gorgeous and typically are arranged with flowers like narcissi, daffodils, hyacinths, but that's just because they are all spring flowers, you can have whatever you like. I'm partial to ranunculus and if I was spring I'd definitely be trying to get them in there.
    All you need to remember about tulips is that they droop, or appear to, because they keep on growing in water - so if you are arranging them a day or 2 before you may want to cut them slightly shorter than you actually want them.
  • fab thank you @MrsCToBee, i'll have a little Pinterest sesh and add some of those in!  
  • We had a lovely chat with the florists who completely understood us and where we are coming from. They grow everything on site, but can supplement if need be with wholesalers. I love that is all home grown British flowers, it's just feels so authentic for our early spring wedding. Plus they're absolutely lovely people and got so excited when I showed them the mood board! Were just waiting on prices to come through but I'm really hoping it will be achievable. Plus they made this up for me to take home which is such an unexpected and sweet gesture ♥️ 

I also had a stroke of luck with my shoe hunt! I couldn't resist these, they're exactly the right sort of colours I was looking for so fingers crossed they're comfy! 

Flowers sound fab, in fact I saw this earlier on a florist I follow and thought of you

Shoes are fab, I couldn't even dream of walking in those so impressed!
  • Ohh thank you  @MrsCToBee they're gorgeous! I'll add that to my little inspo board. 

Thank you @MrsW2020 ! they have quite a lot on this week so i know i wont get anything through soon but im on tenderhooks waiting haha. Its the last big thing really so itll be a huge relief when its all done. 
    I LOVE the shoes, wow!! Very very pretty :)
  • CoffeeDogAddictCoffeeDogAddict Posts: 1,515 New bride
    Thank you! So i got the shoes in my usual size but they slip a bit at the heels, so i ordered a size down which make my toes feel a bit squished and i think after a few hours they'd feel a bit numb. 

I'm going to try and wear both around the house for a bit and see, but i did even try gel inserts for the bigger ones but its just the heel that's an issue. 

Any tips are appreciated! 
    Thank you! So i got the shoes in my usual size but they slip a bit at the heels, so i ordered a size down which make my toes feel a bit squished and i think after a few hours they'd feel a bit numb. 

I'm going to try and wear both around the house for a bit and see, but i did even try gel inserts for the bigger ones but its just the heel that's an issue. 

Any tips are appreciated! 
    Heel grips?
    @MrsCToBee i have some to test but i'm reluctant to stick them in because the ones i got are basically sticky back to the shoe, so would make returning them harder. Also the shoes have this thing where inside the heel it has elastic to pull to the side together, i assume because of the material and the back forming more of a point than a smooth round back with the heel, the elastic bridges it, so it means the heel grips wouldn't stick to it over that area. 

After a few hours of the smaller size i think ill just have to bite the bullet and give it a go though! 
    @CoffeeDogAddict doesn't help now but I always superglue heel grips on because they never stay with just the sticky back they have. Can you just wedge one in behind your foot without sticking it to see how it feels?
    @MrsCToBee Oh thats a good shout! Ill try wedging it in and if it works then i'll nick your trick i think! I always found they peel off half way through the night but never thought of sticking them down!
    @MrsCToBee Oh thats a good shout! Ill try wedging it in and if it works then i'll nick your trick i think! I always found they peel off half way through the night but never thought of sticking them down!
    I have very wide feet so often have to size up for the extra width then use heel grips so my shoes don't fall off!
    edited May 2019
    Just realised today marks that halfway point between our engagement and our wedding! <3 
    I think i might have to give up on the shoes. I managed to get the larger size to feel alright with 2 gel inserts and a heel grip on each, but i feel like they just have such a thin heel and where there's no support on the inside of the arch my foot turns in a bit, and although they're ok for now i feel like a few hours of wear they would start to rub here. 

I'm gutted, they're exactly the print i love i just cant find anything else like it. I know i have ages, but my "look" is something i'm struggling to piece together and honestly i'm just having a huge crisis of confidence with it all. I don't mean to be all woe is me but its just my nature to second guess everything and i have no faith in my decisions, so i feel like my dress is wrong, my ideas are wrong, i just feel like i'm never going to have an idea of what i'm trying to pull together. 
    That's a shame @CoffeeDogAddict ...they look crippling to me but I'm not a wearer of high heels! You've still got a year and summer is coming so they'll be loads of summery print shoes around in the next few months, don't panic. Even I managed to find a pair to fit my weird extra wide feet in the end.
    Yeah i know you're right. I'm usually pretty good with high heels to be honest so i'm not sure if i just need more practice or if i've just lost it with them haha. I used to be a stiletto every weekend kind of girl but moved onto boots the last few years so it has been a while since i wore a thin heel, but i managed fine at my friends wedding. 

I think i'm just doing that thing of not wanting to sort what needs to be done so focusing on the insignificant details  :D
  • MrsOD19MrsOD19 Posts: 894 New bride
    @CoffeeDogAddict I’m so sorry to hear about your shoes! You could totally practice and get back into them-fin you like the pattern then I saw some similar ones by Ted Baker which were lovely! I’ll see if I can find them!
  • MrsOD19MrsOD19 Posts: 894 New bride

They arent as jazzy but theyre super super cute and nice pastel colours? Plus the heel isn’t so high 😍
    Ooh ill take a look at those thank you!! 
    I have decided to keep the pair in my regular size and just see what magic i can manage. If i cant make them work then so be it, and ill just sell them on later but i know what i'm like, if i send them back now and then cant get them again ill regret it 6 months down the line! 
    edited May 2019
    I'm not sure if i'm just being hard work now, but i have had some more disappointing dealings with the venue and caterers. We have our tasting evening at the end of the month (the private one they arranged for us as a way of apologising for being shit previously) so i dropped the catering manager an email to ask a few questions to clarify. 9 days later and no response, and we HAVE to get our selected choices for the tasting to her by Wednesday. 1 Super Helpful point to her.... or not. 

I sent it on to the general venue staff in the hope they could get her to respond, but they have come back to me on some of them anyway, but most of them just say the kitchen need to confirm.... which they just aren't doing. 

Is 9 days a fair time to expect a response? I know maybe i left it a tad late to email them, but i did think a week would be alright to be honest. Shes been prompt with replying before but that may be due to our complaints at the time! 

Its also been just over two weeks since our meeting with the florists and we haven't heard anything back. I know they've had about 4 fairs and a styled shoot so they have been really busy, but i just want a general price guideline so i can make sure it is achievable. I never know if its worth just writing them off if they don't reply, but it seems a bit harsh. 

In a general lull at the moment. I'm trying to not over think things because i'm currently in dress doubt 12million and i'm second guessing every decision i have made so far. 

Any tips for getting over the crushing pressure? 
    Alterations

I now have an impromptu alterations appointment for this Saturday, which is a little terrifying. I've been having more dress wobbles (I know i'm even boring myself with it now) so i'm taking my dress over to see what they say and if some changes can be made. They said they'd rather have it in early so they can work on it at leisure which at least removes my issue of storage. 

I feel a bit like i'm damned if i do and damned if i don't, because either way i'm going to end up spending more than i had anticipated. I originally only budgeted a couple of hundred because all it really needed was hemming and potentially taking in if i lost weight, but if i make the changes i'm thinking of it will me more like £500+  :(  Also should i be doing this with multiple people and getting quotes? I feel really awkward about them helping me out so much and then just upping and leaving to get a quote elsewhere, but also it is someone i fully trust and i'm not sure id find that elsewhere anyway (she was my textiles teacher and i grew up with her daughter, plus shes just down the road from me making life reallly easy).

I just don't know whats best to do and i'm getting sick of feeling so doubtful of the whole thing really. I know it all comes down to feeling stupid, and that's my own mental issue i need to deal with but its just not as easy as i had thought. 

I feel so apprehensive about trying it on again. I'm worried i really wont like it, i'm worried i'll look stupid or feel stupid, i'm worried its just all been a huge mistake and a waste of a lot of money. I've also been holding on to the idea that ill feel better and look better in it when i'm slimmer (toxic thoughts i know) and i have lost a stone since then but i cant help but worry it wont actually have made a difference at all. 

You know what the most stupid thing is? I remember that i felt good in it, its literally the view from one angle i dislike and its more the fact i worry what other people will think, i wish i could just get over that!
  • GinAndBlingGinAndBling Posts: 1,311 New bride
    Oh CDA sorry to hear you are having such anxiety about this. I had major anxiety before I tried mine on again about 6 weeks before the wedding. 

Do you have a veil or any accessories? If yes, take them with you. Play dress up for a while. Swoosh around in it and remember why you liked it (you look bloomin amazing in it, it's comfy, its in your budget etc). 

If you come away and you still are not happy- you have time to get another one. You can still find something else that makes you feel MORE amazing, if you need to. 

Try not to fret, I know it's hard x
    Our planning thread: We're completely winging it.
    Our report: A fun, classic May day in navy and blush
    My weightloss thread: Diet denial! 
    Thank you @GinAndBling i really appreciate it <3 I think my general anxiety is just clinging onto the dress issue because its something tangible. I have been reminding myself it was a much more expensive dress than i could have got otherwise, its perfect for dancing (which i want to do lots of) and its a little different to what i think people will expect. 
    I'm going to take my shoes and just try to allow myself to feel fancy for a bit  :D 
    I'll try and get pictures!! 
  • MrsA-NToBeMrsA-NToBe Posts: 206 New bride
    I'm sorry you feel like this, but the important thing is that you feel happy in your dress, it doesn't matter what you think other people may think, as we're normally always wrong when we do this! 
    In regard to getting other quotes, there is a lot to be said for trusting who is doing the work for you, especially on your dress! I wouldn't imagine that there would be that much of a difference between what they'll charge you and what someone else would, especially with you knowing them! And even if it is a tad more, sometimes it's worth paying it for peace of mind. 
    Hopefully Saturday goes really well and you come back feeling relieved! 
  • OmRumOmRum Posts: 951 New bride
    edited May 2019
    The dress really is lovely, and I think you do need to get into it again as GinAndBling says and play around in it.

In regards to the alterations, cost is often related to where you are geographically. I got quotes in my area (London/Essex) and was also being told £600+ which was the same I paid for the dress! I asked my mum to get quotes in her county and we managed to get everything done for £200+, so definitely worth shopping around. Although I do understand it is preferable to get someone you trust to do it!
    edited May 2019
    @MrsA-NToBe thank you, its so easy to be so hard on ourselves isn't it. I'm also going to try and factor in how close she is. The only other places i've found would involve a 30ish min drive each time so i figure what id save in petrol will add up too!

Thanks @OmRum, i'm hoping because its in a small town it wont be too horrendous, but she does also sort of have the monopoly on the area! I think if it comes in a similar cost to the dress i will have to take a moment to look as you say. fingers crossed! 
    I've had quite extensive work done on my dress and it has cost £250 for all of it. What are you thinking of having done?
    For what it's worth you look amazing in your dress and it's gorgeous, and I've only seen the pic from before you lost a stone!
    @MrsCToBee Im thiking of having some straps added, and maybe a layer or two taken out of the layers and used to make a train, a bit like the below: 

I'm not 100% on the train, i always wanted even just a little one and as im feeling self conscious about how from the side the dress looks SO poofy i thought it might be a way to tackle both areas but i'll see what they say. 

I do like the idea of the straps though, or do you think with such a busy skirt its all a bit much? 
    I think the straps would look lovely, I love the way they cross on the back!
    Personally, I would leave the skirt as it because it is absolutely beautiful, but of course you need to feel comfortable so do whatever you need! I think the skirt has perfect proportions though.