β€Ί

Relaxed Summer Wedding in the Chilterns,

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,605 New bride
    Cecilia13 said:
    Flowers wise, not having a florist do anything but I want a nice selection of flowers to put in jam jars on the tables. I was going to just drive round the supermarkets the day before and select whatever they have that I like, but I've seen a few people on here suggest wholesale flowers; I'm not entirely sure how that would work? I'm not after anything specific. Does anybody have any suggestions/advice?
    Triangle Nursery - they even do wedding packs at a set price, or you can call and have a chat about what you want, they are really helpful. Supermarket flowers are quite poor quality and you can't guarantee what you will get. I used TN for my brother's wedding and they were fab.
    Alternatively there are a few florists locally with their own nurseries where you can do 'pick your own'.
  • Cecilia13Cecilia13 Posts: 480 New bride
    Thanks, I'll have a look!
    It's hard to imagine how many I need, so I might get some from the supermarket tomorrow and just experiment with arranging in jars and seeing how many stems I would need. As I said, I don't at all mind which flowers, but it's hard to visualise how many I need per jar, which then means it's hard to calculate how much I'd need to spend at something like Triangle Nursery. The packages are a bit more than I'm hoping to spend (especially as VAT isn't included in the initial price you see). So I'll do some experimenting and then maybe I'll find it less intimidating! 

If I was choosing specific ones, I have no idea what I'd want. The colours inside the tipi are ivory and pink and mint, so I guess white and pink? There's also a little bit of yellow in the tablecloths so maybe I could use yellow and then I have something a bit brighter ! My ideal would be jars of buttercups but I don't think that is realistic πŸ˜‚
    edited 12 June
    Cecilia13 said:
    It's hard to imagine how many I need, so I might get some from the supermarket tomorrow and just experiment with arranging in jars and seeing how many stems I would need. As I said, I don't at all mind which flowers, but it's hard to visualise how many I need per jar, which then means it's hard to calculate how much I'd need to spend at something like Triangle Nursery. The packages are a bit more than I'm hoping to spend (especially as VAT isn't included in the initial price you see). So I'll do some experimenting and then maybe I'll find it less intimidating! 

If I was choosing specific ones, I have no idea what I'd want. The colours inside the tipi are ivory and pink and mint, so I guess white and pink? There's also a little bit of yellow in the tablecloths so maybe I could use yellow and then I have something a bit brighter ! My ideal would be jars of buttercups but I don't think that is realistic πŸ˜‚
    Just ring them and explain your vision and budget and they'll be able to suggest flowers to fit πŸ˜€ They work out cheaper overall against supermarket flowers.
    A couple more bridesmaids have chosen their dresses. Some are not really bridesmaids dresses but for example my future sister in law felt really uncomfortable in everything and so has something rather less formal:

I went shopping with my sister today and we found an amazing one for her:

I love how happy she is :)

And my lovely friend Soph struggled to find one she liked (she doesn't wear lots of super girly dresses, tulle and stuff like not NOT her thing) found this:

I also found a gorgeous dress I really wanted to get for my hen party (it's way too dressy but I sort of feel like that would be ok πŸ˜‚) but the colour wasn't the best on me and I don't know if I should just get it and not care (the shape really suited me and it's so sparkly).
    I don't have a pic of me in it but I'll get it soon. It would be for the photoshoot and dinner and drinks and I'd bring a comfy jumpsuit or something for the burlesque dance class.

That's the dress. It isn't my usual colour at all I just love the slouchy shape and the sparkles!
  • I loveeeee your sisters dress where is it from? 

Your potential hen do dress is also gorgeous! If you cant be dressy at your hen when can you be! 
    I can't remember the exact brand, but it was in Debenhams. Possibly debut? It is on sale at the moment for Β£99 down from Β£199!

Yeah I am super stuck about the dress, I know I shouldn't and my sis said the colour didn't suit me but I loved it so much!
    edited 15 June
    I bought myself two dresses (again.. oops) for the hen party!

For the Saturday (photoshoot, burlesque class, cocktails and dancing etc).
    And 

And that for brunch and things on the Sunday! Need proper spanx for both though.

The short one is super unlike me, I never wear short strappy things, but I refuse to let my body hang ups stop me wearing awesome multicoloured mermaid sequins on my hen do!

There is now talk of a mermaid/glitter theme, but not if anybody is opposed to it and it can be anything from full on sequins (like me) or just sea colours or glittery socks or makeup. I don't want people to have to buy stuff for it. I have a lot of glitter I can provide !
    Another bridesmaid found her dress today and I'm sort of worried I'm going to look like a big bag of crap next to her, it's Temperley London and just insanely beautiful. 

Obviously without the tag holding it weirdly πŸ˜‚ but isn't it gorgeous? I'm so happy she found one she's pleased with and they're all going to look beautiful :) 
    I just always feel rubbish next to them and don't want to feel like that on the day! But my dress is beautiful and I'm still losing some weight so I hope I feel confident.
  • That mermaid dress is INCREDIBLE!!! You look so fierce!! 
    The bridesmaid dress is also lovely, but don't worry you're going to look beyond measure and no one will be paying attention to what anyone else is wearing! 
    Thank you! I'm not used to wearing so little but I just fell in love with the sequins :).
    Thank you, I know my dress is so gorgeous I just would love to feel confident for once and not worry about being lumpy and bumpy next to everyone! I shouldn't compare myself I know but it's hard when they're such a beautiful bunch.
    Also just bought my lingerie for the wedding night! I don't love how I look in it but it's very pretty (a sheer body with some delicate lace) and I think Ralph will like it so went for it anyway.
  • Just remember: we are our own worst enemies when we look in the mirror. All I see in those pics is an amazing hourglass figure in a kickass mermaid dress (coffeedogaddict- fierce is such a good description!) and having seen pics of your wedding dress on this thread there is no way all eyes won’t be on you, regardless of how beautiful your bridesmaids are πŸ™‚
    Thanks @CitytoCountry ! I'm working on not just seeing all the negatives looking in the mirror. Just buying that short dress is a big step for me!
    I know my dress is particularly beautiful and I just need to concentrate on the fact that Ralph always thinks I look nice and hope he loves it :)
  • Woooohoooo!! I love the gold dress 😍 I wore a really similar one for my hen and i felt so princessy. 

I also love love the mermaid one-don’t stress, you absolutely rock it! 
  • Oh, and I was also the same about being too dressy but my SIL said β€˜always be the best dressed in the room’ 

if you can’t be a sparkle factory on your hen then when can you? 
    Love all the dresses, fabulous :)
    edited 18 June
    Thanks all :) it's a shame about the gold dress but honestly the colour wasn't very good on me, the combined price of the two I got was less, and I managed to get something for both days of my hen so I think I made the right decision! Plus while it's absolutely gorgeous, the mermaid one is much more colourful and 'me' (a lot of my outfits look like a small child has picked them out πŸ˜‚).

All my dried flowers have arrived and look lovely (I'm keeping them in the boxes for now though as they're quite fragile).

We'd been um-ing and ah-ing about live music at the reception (entirely due to the cost). And when I say we, I mean Ralph because he is sensible and budget-conscious whereas I just said YES LET'S HAVE SOME JAZZ I DONT CARE HOW MUCH IT COSTS! Anyway last week Ralph finally decided it was a good idea (less than 2 months before our Saturday-height-of-wedding-season day...) . Being a jazz musician, he knows lots of other jazz musicians and immediately had a group in mind- we're going for Dixieland jazz- but of course they're not free, and the other people he knew in a group who play that style are close with another jazz musician he knows who is also getting married that day so we knew some of them wouldn't be around (it's a small world in the London jazz scene!).

But.. he is currently on a mini tour to Manchester and Liverpool in the band of a lovely trumpet player, who incidentally was already invited to the evening of our wedding anyway, and who has said he plays a lot of that style and will get some people he knows together. Now this was just a casual conversation so I'm trying not to get too excited as it may not work out and it depends on cost etc, but as there is a jam session etc afterwards we can easily just have the musicians to play and then they can stay on as guests afterwards for the jam and food and drink, so if it works out it would actually be really lovely.

Seriously trying not to be too excited πŸ˜‚ I'm not good at that at all, but I'm in the need of something going well because a) I think I'm coming down with a cold, b) I have a radio interview for a show on BBC Radio 3 on Thursday and I'm VERY nervous (the show is called 'This Classical Life' and it's about what sort of music I listen to, it's actually really cool that I've been approached and the presenter is this amazing sax player who performed at the Last Night of the Proms last year) but interviews are really not my thing, and c) we had drama with a teenage boy hammering on our door asking us to let him in because he was being chased by two guys who were approaching and we had to let him in and call the police. They came and said we did the right thing and it was probably a very minor drug deal gone wrong or something and sort of chuckled about it and didn't seem overly concerned, but as Ralph is away I've been feeling a little vulnerable and nervous and not enjoying being alone in the house at night. So I am very much concentrating on nice wedding things as best I can at the moment!

Wow, sorry this is super long, you can tell I'm home alone πŸ˜‚. Also my sentences are ridiculously long and I'm sorry if they don't make sense. I had to go back and add some punctuation already and it's still incredibly rambling. I'll be very impressed if anybody gets all the way through that!
    Next week we have our meeting with the registrars and with the venue! It's exciting and feeling so real at the moment!
    Also bought some more solar powered fairy lights and festoon lights on sale in Sainsbury's, and waiting for a big strong of lights from Amazon.

I tried a potential wedding hair (done roughly and my hair isn't long enough to do it smoothly) for Ralph's friends birthday drinks tonight, what do people think? I'll probably colour it deep copper too.

Sorry for crappy metropolitan line selfies πŸ˜‚
    Yesterday took my dress to my bridesmaids' parents house as they are amazing tailors, and had offered to take a look!
    The skirt is in perfect condition, and the top just needs a few pulled threads and loose edges of lace neatened up, as well as a new book at the back and one of the little tags for the buttons is broken (see below, the one not done up!)

We also pulled out the train properly so I could see it as when I've tried it at home I'm still surrounded by moving boxes and wedding boxes and instruments so I hadn't since I bought it! But it's so amazing!
    I definitely want to lose some more weight (back fat issues) but it does fit fine now and so I'm really proud of myself and RELIEVED.

They also dug out lots of fairy lights (they have a beautiful garden and I went to many birthday parties there when we were younger and it was always lit up beautifully) and asked if I liked any of them, and I said basically any of them would be great! So they are going to try them and see which ones work and then when I come to get my dress I can pick up those too :) they are really lovely and generous people, and are invited to the wedding so it was nice to be all excited with them and not focus on the stressy bits.
    7 out of 8 bridesmaids have their dresses:

I'm so thrilled, it's exactly what I envisioned; a beautiful mix of colours, styles and personalities :).

Would also love some feedback on the hair! Here is another pic (a little scrappy but you can see from the side!):

Obviously would be longer at the front and neater (and shorter at the back). It feels really elegant to me, and Ralph seems to like it!
    Here is an old one from the front too:

• The dresses all look fab together! Did you give them any kind of brief? I'm hoping to have my bridesmaids do a similar thing. 

I love the hair!! It looks really modern and sophisticated, plus with that vine it'll be a dream! 
    Thank you! It makes me feel more elegant, and I'd like to feel like that on the day.

I did, I sent them some screenshots of colour palettes (crossed out the things I didn't want) and said basically anything you want within these colours, and that I wanted them to choose things they would be happy in and might use again if they wanted. Most of them sent me pictures or asked for my opinions or I helped them look, and I kept saying everything was fine so I wasn't much help!

We just had our planning meeting with the registrar. I wasn't expecting to care but I was surprisingly fussy about the wording; we didn't like anything too formal or flowery, and have gone for options about growing together but also as individuals, and family and things rather than lots of definitions of love and cherishing and things. I didn't like the words 'public pledge' either so we had to combine some things. But I think in the end we have a nice set of choices, and not too long and boring for friends and family. It's beginning to feel very real!
    Hen party period begins tomorrow!

My first mini hen is with my bridesmaid Antonia (who can't make the actual hen) tomorrow. We are going shopping for her bridesmaids dress and then to Duck and Waffle! I've never been and wanted to for ages so I'm super excited! 

Then on the weekend it's my main hen in London. We have a photoshoot and makeover (not so sure how I feel about that bit), a burlesque dance class and lovely Italian meal on Saturday night, followed by drinks and potentially dancing somewhere. Then on Sunday we're having brunch at Granger & Co, and then a life drawing class. I'm super excited! Then I have a few days to get things together and then I'm going to Barcelona for a few days with my bridesmaid Naomi, which I am calling my hen number 3 :D I'm so excited for all of them. 
    Also Ralph's sister / my bridesmaid Nona is coming to stay with us on Friday which will be nice :) an extra evening with her before my hen!

We had our planning meeting at the ceremony venue yesterday and it's all very exciting! Today I will order our cheese wedding cake for the evening food, and hopefully work out the rest of that food too.
    Had a wonderful day with Antonia at my mini hen! She found her bridesmaid dress:

We had cocktails at Sushi Samba and then amazing amazing food at Duck and Waffle! Then we were super stuffed and quite drunk and we both have early starts tomorrow so we collapsed into a tube home. Pics below!

And then I got home and my ASOS parcel has arrived! I got self conscious at the idea of going into London on Saturday morning on the tube in my super short sparkly mermaid dress, so got a mermaidy skirt for the first bit and some of the photoshoot, and hopefully will change during:

Yes I like blue πŸ˜‚
  • Oooooo your mini hen looks fab! (Jealous of those yummy cocktails!) Have a lovely time on your hen this weekend in that fabulous skirt!
    Thank you :) I was stupidly excited because one of my cocktails was basically coriander with gin and it was probably my favourite thing I could possibly taste πŸ˜‚.

As we sort one bridesmaid out another one has her dress arrive and it doesn't fit πŸ˜‚ so we are going to Debenhams early on Saturday before the rest of the hen activities! She lives in Paris and her train gets in at 9.30 so it will be nice to see her a bit more coz I don't get to very often!
    edited 5 July
    Officially under a month to go 😱😱😱😁😁😁
  • CoffeeDogAddictCoffeeDogAddict Posts: 941 New bride
    Ahh thats so exciting!!! 
    I have loved following your story and cannot wait to see it all come together! Even if a report is a bit much, a few sneaky photos would be amazing!