β€Ί

Relaxed Summer Wedding in the Chilterns,

• Cecilia13Cecilia13 Posts: 430 New bride
    Sian91 wrote (see post):

I love the Luna Bea stuff- equally unsure if I want to spend that much on a hair thing. I think you can rock anything, your hair is gorgeous and would look great with any of those. 

Looking forward to seeing how music will be incorporated so much into your day, sounds like planning is in full swing!

It may have been your thread I saw it on! It's beautiful but I want slightly more expensive tipis than we'd planned so I really can't justify the cost of one of those. So fingers crossed something awesome comes out of our crafty experiments!

Thanks! Yeah we're trying to sort out lots because Ralph is on tour in October/ November and I'm on tour November/December so then suddenly it will be only half a year left.. so as much as possible done this summer is the plan, as another tour could come up in the new year and then we'd be pushed for time. Music and food are definitely the most important things outside the actual getting married !

I'm pretty nervous because tomorrow we are going to see the tipis! I've seen them in person before and fell in love but I am really really hoping that H2B feels the same when he walks in. It won't be completely decorated as the wedding party won't have got in when we see it, but I'm hoping he can feel the same things I did. We haven't really pursued anything else yet and he really loved the pictures I took and on their website, as well as the fact that it seems to be a family-run company and we loved reading about the owners' own wedding on their blog, they seem so friendly. 

Fingers crossed eeek! A reminder of the tipis and where they'll be:

We wouldn't have the chill-out area, and I think we'd have sides open and if the weather is nice we'll spent a lot of the time in my grandparents' lovely garden !

Shoes

In my previous accessories post I forgot to explain about my trainers!

So a reminder of my ceremony shoes:

image Sorry for the clash with the purple velvet!!

I am so excited by them it's ridiculous. I love how colourful and irridescent they are! I really wanted to inject some sort of strong colour into the outfit after I surprised myself with such a traditional dress and veil, so I was so thrilled when I found those in a charity shop. Normal me wears Barbie pink irridescent raincoats and velvet trousers and bright vintage shirts with sparkly boots, so all ivory is quite unusual for me! That's where these came in! 

They're comfier than they look actually, but I absolutely know I won't last all day in them.. so I also have some trainers I got for £20 in Topshop sale:

I decided they were weddingy because of the pearls, but I think I want to jazz them up a bit as they're a bit feeble for me. Considering getting pearly and gold fabric paint and flower-ifying them with some more beads and things! They're just too normal for me right now. But they will save my feet!

Better Pictures!

I also found better pictures of my dress (I changed phones and only had screenshots that had transferred phones for some reason) and of my wedding ring with my engagement ring. So here they are:

image image image

I am so in love with the skirt of my dress and I love the detail on the sleeves! And I have a long ivory cathedral veil with beautiful appliqués on. From the girl who didn't want a formal/ traditional dress..

Groom's Suit

We've started to have a look online for things we might like. We'd discussed a dark green or teal suit, and when we first discussed it there were loads, but they all seem to have disappeared, apart from some left on Asos but they don't look like high enough quality. 

Ralph is also against a 3 piece suit, he wants to get something he can use for gigs which I entirely don't mind about. As we're getting married in August there's a potential for it being very warm (although I doubt it!) And I played at a wedding last weekend in which all the groomsmen were boiling hot  and sweaty and fanning themselves through the cerrmony.

Anyway so this evening I was having a browse and I found a teal one from John Lewis that we both really liked:

image image

Not with that tie as it doesn't fit with the rest of our wedding, but it's very Ralph and the colour of the suit is perfect for our moody grey/teal British stormy sea colour scheme. I guess black shoes? 

Anyway we will go and have a look at some point this weekend, he can try it on and we can see what else is there. He isn't keen on shopping so it will probably be super speedy! Does anybody have any recommendations of where we should look? Ralph basically always goes to M&S but they don't have anything in the colours we were thinking so that has used up both of our suit-buying knowledge. Help!

(Best man will choose his own, like my bridesmaids, not matching)

• MrsW-22MrsW-22 Posts: 354 New bride

Debenhams? The larger stores often have different colours suits :) 

Fiona98 wrote (see post):

Debenhams? The larger stores often have different colours suits :) 

Ah ok I'll definitely have a look there :) thanks! It's hard as we're musicians so used to dressing up a lot for performing and we want something different from his normal suits but also something he can wear for future gigs. I think it affected my dress choice as well, I have to wear wide skirts as a cellist so it's become the silhouette I go for, and although we want quite a relaxed day I think it had to be more special than the dresses I wear for my concerts, some of which are floor length ball gown type things. So I'm interested to see what he gets in the end!

• Next has a lovely range of suits, and some are really unusual! My FH picked up a pretty cool blue/grey one that is almost iridescent with the two thread colours. 

I love your dress! its utterly gorgeous, and the invites are beyond amazing!! I'd pay good money for that! Does the embossing powder just stick to the ink from the stamp? 

Cant wait to see how it all comes together! 

CoffeeDogAddict wrote (see post):

Next has a lovely range of suits, and some are really unusual! My FH picked up a pretty cool blue/grey one that is almost iridescent with the two thread colours. 

I love your dress! its utterly gorgeous, and the invites are beyond amazing!! I'd pay good money for that! Does the embossing powder just stick to the ink from the stamp? 

Cant wait to see how it all comes together! 

Ah thanks, I didn't think of Next at all. That sounds like it's really nice!

Thanks :) I'm thrilled with it, especially as a sample so half price but in brilliant condition.

I'm glad you like the invitations! I have SO much fun making them, I've considered setting up a shop on Etsy and do cards and invitations for a while, but I was worried as they're not perfect and polished that people might not buy them.. but maybe I'll consider it again  that made my day!

@coffeedogaddict the embossing powder sticks to the ink, and then when you blast it with the heat it melts? Or reacts in some way, and embosses onto the card. So it's really easy! 

• Amazing thank you!! i was looking for a way to make our diy invited look a little less hand drawn haha so this is perfect! thank youuu!!!! <3

CoffeeDogAddict wrote (see post):

Amazing thank you!! i was looking for a way to make our diy invited look a little less hand drawn haha so this is perfect! thank youuu!!!! <3

Yeah I really recommend it! There are loads of lovely stamps in Hobbycraft :)

Veil

All self control went out of the window and I just had to try it on. Obviously it looks silly with my clothes but I just love it haha!

imageimage 

The label makes it extra glamorous !

Ralph loved the tipis! This was his Instagram story:

So now we're just finalising what extras we want before we book them! So excited

• Sian91Sian91 Posts: 829 New bride

Glad he loves the tipis! Hate it when you've planned half the wedding and the other half vetos it- 'Its MY BIG DAY' geez

NB All wedding planning is shared in our household, but I often get carried away prior to agreement haha

Sian91 wrote (see post):

Glad he loves the tipis! Hate it when you've planned half the wedding and the other half vetos it- 'Its MY BIG DAY' geez

NB All wedding planning is shared in our household, but I often get carried away prior to agreement haha

Hahaha! We have decided I am artistic director and he is project manager. I have the ideas, he takes the ones he agrees with and sorts them into something vaguely organised (he has these spreadsheets that I reaaaaally don't understand). I just think of pretty things and find things on sale !

Drinks

I'm probably thinking about this ridiculously far in advance, but I have a clear beverage vision!

Wine - my dad has very kindly said he will buy the wine as a gift, as he used to work for a winzer in Germany where his holiday house is and can get a good discount, and it's absolutely amazing wine (his old boss has won international awards, it's absolutely amazing). My only request is that I have my own personal bottle of his amazing Beeren Auslese (sweet white wine) for the day.. I could drink about 20 of them easily which is worrying! We also know an amazing 'sekt' (sparkling wine/prosecco equivalent) producer out there so we will have that for when people arrive! Ralph and I are going out to Germany with one of my bridesmaids and her partner to 'select wines' in August (basically a wine drinking holiday but it's being officially labelled wedding planning) So that's going to be exciting! It's all Riesling, from our village Enkirch on the River Mosel.

Reception - I like the idea of either sparkling wine or Sipsmith London Cup (better version of Pimm's) on arrival, so I've bought a couple of bottles of the London Cup already!

And the most important one:

GIN AND TONIC STATION

I immediately knew I wanted this because I am absolutely a gin girl, and Ralph rather likes it too.. so basically I've been buying a bottle every month or so, building a collection of a couple of standard ones, some interesting ones and a few liqueurs to make it interesting. I'll also put out some Belvoir cordials and things like fresh herbs, pink peppercorns, cucumber etc!

This is what I have so far (arranged in front of one of my painting attempts to try and make it look nicer!):

A couple of Greenalls and Bombay, Strawberry Bloom, Elderflower gin, Adnams Copper House (special to me as we bought it in Aldeburgh where perform a lot, and it's my happy bubble place), Edinburgh Gin plum and Vanilla liqueur, and Ophir Spiced. I also have a lime liqueur, a sour cherry one and a Chambord. Some of those might get consumed this summer though so I didn't include them in the pic, but I can easily get hold of more little fruity bottles! 

We will have a token vodka, rum and tequila bottle as well I think for those weird people who aren't obsessed with gin!

Beer- we will probably go and get a lot from Tring Brewery as it is pretty local to us and Ralph loves their beer.

Soft drinks- I'm thinking a big vat of elderflower, and one of homemade lemonade? And a couple of bottles of coke for young cousins! (And water of course)

Hopefully going suit shopping tomorrow, if I can get Ralph out of bed early enough!

(I say that but actually I'm the one who's terrible at getting up. But we're having lunch with a bridesmaid and her OH and then he's going to see Paul Simon at Hyde Park so I have motivation for fitting it in beforehand !)

• August19August19 Posts: 285 New bride

Everything sounds amazing and really coming together, sounds like your gin bar will be a huge hit with all that selection. 

Good luck with the suit shopping, hopefully he finds somethings he likes.

August19 wrote (see post):

Everything sounds amazing and really coming together, sounds like your gin bar will be a huge hit with all that selection. 

Good luck with the suit shopping, hopefully he finds somethings he likes.

Thanks! Fingers crossed. We won't have that much time as we realised we forgot to record a bit of music and he goes on tour again tomorrow so we have to do that first  but hopefully we'll make a start abyway!

Centerpieces

I am trying to accept the fact (as I have to) that some of our tables will be different colours as my granny already has enough for 60 people, so it would be crazy for us to pay the extra and they're lighter than the ones the tipi company has. I don't want white tablecloths as it'll be weird inside the tipis but I have been looking on Pinterest and I think I found something I really like:

Now this is a much more expensive and classy version of what we'd have ! But what I really like is the glass jars and candle holders and tealights all different sizes, and I think we won't have lots of expensive plants but we could get some little ones and we will also probably add succulents and cacti (my future MIL has accidentally become a cactus mum and has cut off a ridiculous amount of baby ones. We have one at ours already).

I love this little selection (we aren't doing place seating though):

So I'm trawling eBay and Facebook marketplace and gumtree for batches of jam jars or glass teal light holders, and bridesmaids, parents and aunts have all had messages asking any used jars to be cleaned and saved! I also might go on the morning of the wedding to Sainsbury's, Tesco's and Waitrose and just grab whatever white flowers (maybe a bit of deep pink as well but I quite like the restrained colours on those centrepieces) and put them in some jars too. 

Why does everything on eBay have some sort of lace of ribbon added to it? They look pretty but I'm just after plain ones !

Also I would like a Hessian table runner, it would match the tipi floor and feel a bit rustic and hopefully tie the mismatched tables together a bit. You can get cheap rolls of it on Amazon so I think should be fine!

It might end up being more like this, which is fine but I'd like to aim closer to the top picture:

However, I also really like this so it might end up being a mixture of whatever is cheap and easy:

Maybe a random mix of pretty flower could be nice in some of the jars :) we'll see.

He loved the suit, so we'll order it asap!

We also got him some awesome tie choices as they were all amazing and we couldn't decide! So we'll see nearer the day .

Makes me wish I wore them! But all of them could work with the teal suit!

image This is it on the website (you can see the colour properly)..

image ..and this is Ralph in it! The lighting wasn't great, but he looked lovely.

I can't wait to walk down the aisle towards him. I wish it wasn't more than a year away!

• August19August19 Posts: 285 New bride

I absolutely love the table flower arrangements,i wanted long tables but think our venue only does circles. I was in matalan today and they had light teal candle holders bigger than tea light but not huge in the sale for 1, they only had the one but might be worth a look if you have a store close to you.

glad he found the suit, thats another thing ticked off

August19 wrote (see post):

I absolutely love the table flower arrangements,i wanted long tables but think our venue only does circles. I was in matalan today and they had light teal candle holders bigger than tea light but not huge in the sale for 1, they only had the one but might be worth a look if you have a store close to you.

glad he found the suit, thats another thing ticked off

Ah thanks! I'll definitely have a look there then. I hope I can vaguely recreate those pictures!

• Mila-rose3Mila-rose3 Posts: 264 New bride

I love your report so far .... I Love the tipis and your dress is 😍😍😍

Welshbride3 wrote (see post):

I love your report so far .... I Love the tipis and your dress is 😍😍😍

Thank you ☺️

• MrsS85MrsS85 Posts: 688 New bride

I love your thread, Glad your H2B loved the Tipis too, look forward to hearing more.

• ruthie1979ruthie1979 Posts: 794

Oh wow - just caught up.

You look FABULOUS in your dress! Loving everything so far. The tipis are awesome!

We are having a G&T bar/station too and planning on buying the gin at the airport on our way to Cyprus or while we are there. I do LOVE gin & it seems to be pretty trendy at the moment so more & more people are liking it too. Hope it will go down well xx

MrsS85 wrote (see post):

I love your thread, Glad your H2B loved the Tipis too, look forward to hearing more.

Thanks :) I never know if people will read it but it's good for me to waffle on here so I waffle less at everyone else! 

ruthie1979 wrote (see post):

Oh wow - just caught up.

You look FABULOUS in your dress! Loving everything so far. The tipis are awesome!

We are having a G&T bar/station too and planning on buying the gin at the airport on our way to Cyprus or while we are there. I do LOVE gin & it seems to be pretty trendy at the moment so more & more people are liking it too. Hope it will go down well xx

Thank you! I'm really thrilled with it.

Gin in Cyprus sounds absolutely amazing! And duty free gin as well, clever. I'd have loved to have got married abroad but for various reasons it was never really an option.

Also I had lunch with one of my bridesmaids and her partner yesterday, at which point she told me she hates gin and he said he hates ale, and it would be better if there was  lager there to cater to everyone. As far as I know he's the only person who feels like that but I'm going to add an extra bottle of vodka and some Corona to the drinks list. They are literally the opposite to Ralph and I, gin for me and ale for him! She asked if I would include aperol but then that involves adding proescco and it all just spirals. I hope she's the only person who hates my gin station .