โ€บ

Relaxed Summer Wedding in the Chilterns,

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,137 New bride

Love the smoke bomb photos! Have you spoken to your photographer about them? Apparently there is quite an art to it and particular brands which are better than others. I love the idea though, I think it’ll look fab with the drama of your ceremony dress too.

Good luck for your performance! I’m sure you’ll be awesome. Just focus on all that lovely wine you’ve got to look forward to when it’s over! The thought of a nice glass of wine gets me through most things haha.

• Cecilia13Cecilia13 Posts: 512 New bride
    Ashley72 wrote (see post):

Love the smoke bomb photos! Have you spoken to your photographer about them? Apparently there is quite an art to it and particular brands which are better than others. I love the idea though, I think it’ll look fab with the drama of your ceremony dress too.

Good luck for your performance! I’m sure you’ll be awesome. Just focus on all that lovely wine you’ve got to look forward to when it’s over! The thought of a nice glass of wine gets me through most things haha.

I have sent her some pictures and asked but she hasn't seen them yet. I am thinking of booking her for a photo shoot for my website (working on it at the moment) so we can try them out then and do some experimenting! 

Yep the wine is what I'm focusing on! I perform all the time but this type of concert is way more scary and virtuosic and its 42 minutes of that so very tiring too. Wine in beautiful Mosel valley is the perfect reward I think.

Concerto done! So now wedding wine holiday commences!!

image image I don't know how I'd have got through today without a meltdown if it wasn't for Ralph. He kept me calm and took me shopping (he knows how to distract me), made me eat a good dinner when I was so nervous that normally in that state I just wouldn't eat all day.. days like this just highlight how kind and supportive and lovely he is and I feel like the luckiest girl in the world. 

This is me getting ready to drive home in my ballgown and relieved to officially be on wedding wine holiday!! Germany here we come!

So... summing up our little wine trip! Am waiting for a couple of wine collection moment pics from the others but I thought I'd share some of the photos from our little trip in such a beautiful place! Highlights included beautiful little towns on the Mosel River, Burg Eltz Castle, swimming in a volcanic crater (beautiful natural lake) , my first ever mini golf attempt (I am including a pic of me failing spectacularly to hit the ball!), And we tried and bought a LOT of wine! Sorry for the picture overload about to happen:

image Ralph and me!

image Antonia and Ed!

(The super-fail! Ralph was of course cool as a cucumber and won by miles- but I didn't come last!!!)

The volcanic crater lake (Pulvermaar)- I am super dizzy with heights but jumped off that high diving platform and was very proud of myself! Wild swimming is wonderful and refreshing.

image the team!

image Entering the Weingut for wedding wine tasting and selection!

The result back in our living room in the UK! 40 bottles of Sekt (sparkling wine) for arrival at reception and toasts, and 60 bottles of white wine to go with the curry (Riesling matches really well with it!). We went for 30 dry and 30 feinherb (medium) as both were delicious, and while medium is recommended with curry, the dry is the masterpiece of the Winzer and we couldn't leave it behind as it was so delicious! I also have my own personal bottle(s) of a type of sweet wine called Beerenauslese, from 2005. It sounds weird but basically it's from when the grapes ever so slightly go off on the vine, they are picked like that and so it's super sweet but with really intense flavour, not just sugar, and even Antonia who hates sweet wine admitted it was spectacular! So I have a couple of bridal bottles, oops!

All in all, a very successful trip! Unfortunately I needed a proper break and we really crammed a lot in and drank a lot and ate lots of spectacular food, so  now I'm ill at home with tummy pain feeling sorry for myself, hence the self indulgent ramble! Sorry about that..

I've also ordered some paper decorations for inside the tipis! Not enough yet, but a few to start with.

image Two of these pink edged honeycomb decorations..

image Three of the green ones..

image Six ivory and gold..

And one each of these. They're actually lampshades from urban outfitters, but I'll just hang them up like the other things and then either save them for future house, or sell them afterwards, I just loved them:

I'll get lots of cheaper colourful plain things like these for outside in the garden with lots of fairy lights, and a few more like these inside but I didn't want to go too crazy colour wise inside the tipis themselves, because with the provencal tablecloths and flowers and candles and things it could get a bit much with rainbow decor too!

A reminder the tablecloths (I need to get a few more, a floral pattern in pink and blue and green perhaps):

• Sounds like you had the most amazing wine trip in Germany. Sorry to hear you are feeling rough now but I'm sure it was worth it! 

I may have got a bit carried away again.. this time on Ginger Ray. When I'm not well and stuck in bed my self control goes out of the window and my brain goes into arty planning mode, and this is the result.

Still more to get but I ordered lots of stuff that can go both inside and outside the tipi. I will want some stronger colours outside too. Here is what I ordered:

Some will go outside in trees and things, some will me combined, some will have Papier mache flowers added, some will have ribbons.. I'm super excited! 

• Thought I had nice photos of us collecting wine. Turns out we just have this (we were a bit excited):

• Cant sleep, so thinking more about crafty weddingy decorationy things..

I am going to try pressing some flowers I think, to add to these:

I would glue them and choose all sorts of pretty colours, and then end up with an effect similar to this but obviously on a different surface:

And I'm definitely going to experiment with some Papier mache flowers. There's so much scope for creativity there, here are just a few examples from Google (probably not how mine will end up though):

And my friend made these lovely things at Christmas, so we're going to make some out of more weddingy paper and maybe a bit smaller with some glitter added:

Disclaimer: EVERYTHING I make will have glitter added because I have no self control!

• Just had a binge read through your thread since I'm struggling to sleep.

I live all your ideas. So individual.

I agree that you look beautiful with your hair short. Don't grow it.

Your took is really pretty. In fact it's made me a tiny bit jealous. And the idea of curry for the wedding breakfast has me salivating. Actually I think that because you picked curry your other guests will barely notice it's vegetarian.

Loving the pompous and flower6 paper lanterns. So pretty!

• Sian91Sian91 Posts: 829 New bride

The flowers on the lamps will look amazing! I hope it goes well(:

Glad you had such a good time on your wine run- cantgo wrong with boot full of wine in my eyes ๐Ÿ™ˆ

• Thanks DandelionBlue for your lovely comments :) I'm impressed you made it through considering the amount I waffle on! I felt it was a bit unique until I read a write-up of a wedding (not on this site) where the bride had short hair, a Needle and Thread dress, tipis with colourful pompoms, Sri Lankan street food and the groom in a dark green suit! But actually it all looked beautiful so it just made me excited and feel like it's all gonna come together ok :)

• Sian91 wrote (see post):

The flowers on the lamps will look amazing! I hope it goes well(:

Glad you had such a good time on your wine run- cantgo wrong with boot full of wine in my eyes ๐Ÿ™ˆ

I hope so! I'll have to experiment with the actual flower pressing coz I haven't done it since I was about 8 and thinking my standards of success will be slightly different now .

Totally agreed about the boot full of wine! However as it can't go to my grandparents' wine cellar until they get back from their house in France in a couple of weeks it is now sitting in our living room and I'm having to resist it all! I am not known for my self control and I know my special dessert wine bottles are in there so it's like mild torture

• All my decorations arrived and I'm a bit overexcited..

Ideas of flowers and glitter and gold leaf are all swirling around and I'm quite annoyed I have to wait for ages before I can start decorating them  bring on next summer!

Make sure you start early! We have so much to do in the next week and a half! ๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™ˆ

• Is 11 months not a bit toooo early? I'm just worried about storing everything but I am really ready to start splashing glitter around..

11 months might be a bit early but I’d have started after christmas for sure! Literally every ounce of my time not at work is now consumed by something to do with the wedding!

• Ok, after Christmas is perfect because I'll be all miserable about the fact that I won't have a chance to make any decorations for that as I'm in Russia for nearly a month and a half and get back evening of the 23rd. So I'll be really pleased to get going with crafty things in January :)

Also just went to look in a fabric shop to find something that might match/ clash nicely with existing tablecloths (we need another 5 or so) but couldn't imagine it so the man said to come back at some point and bring one so I can find something suitable. I have a feeling his idea of suitable and mine are going to be rather different (my idea of harmonious colours/patterns tend to be seen as crazy by normal, self-controlled people with some grasp of  subtlety) 

• MrsS85MrsS85 Posts: 688 New bride

Just caught up on your thread, Your wine trips sounds fab, I love you decoration idea too. Bet you cant wait to get started on your decorating.

• One of my sisters (/bridesmaids) came round today and took some photos of me in my dresses properly, with veil et all! Finally! So here they are:

image image

What do you think, does the veil work ok with the dress? It ALMOST does up, I don't think it'll be much work to fit in it :)

• It all feels very real right now. I put the dress on and I felt really breathless and excited! Obviously I really hope to make him think 'wow' but honestly now I just can't wait to be walking towards him!

On a separate note, I thought I'd introduce my bridesmaids as there are so many of them I haven't done it properly yet!

MOH- Nina! I've known Nina since the first day of secondary school. I was sitting by myself shyly, and this girl with hair down to her knees came and sat down and starting babbling and just never left me alone! But I'm so glad she didn't because I love her so much and even though I don't see her that much it's always the same, and she knows me better than I know myself. She's also a really unique, hilarious and awesome person. She works in conservation and does things like working on turtle beaches and freediving with humpback whales and is about to go canopy camping with orangutans in the forests of Borneo (as you do!), when she's not writing and editing for conservation charities, or working on her novel. We've asked her to do a speech, and I half can't wait and half am dreading what she's going to come out with, but whatever happens I need her by my side. I'm planning to walk by myself down the aisle, but if I need someone to walk with me on the day it'll be her.

Nay! Naomi is my oldest friend (as in my friend for the longest. Not old) and she's an incredibly glamorous viola player with  Italian/Spanish parents.  We became friends aged 9 or 10 and here we are at 25! We've had ups and downs but I think we've both grown up and I'm so glad she's back in my life. She's been incredibly supportive and protective in the past when others weren't and her parents are also wonderful. We share a passion for interiors and all sorts of beautiful things and send each other way too many pictures on WhatsApp and clog up my phone memory! I can't put into words how important her friendship is to me and I can't remember a time she wasn't in my life!

Bea! My best friend from music college. She's an insanely talented pianist, half Austrian and half Korean (grew up in rural Austria), studied with me in London and now living in Paris, which means unfortunately I don't get to see her as often as I'd like. She's loud and bubbly and has a habit of losing everything important (passport, phone, purse.. etc), as well as kind and incredibly creative and is always making her own soaps and bath bombs and all sorts of lovely things, when she's not looking after her two gorgeous doggies Maple and Midas. She's incredibly passionate about everything and a bit crazy; I miss her all the time, and hate that she lives in a different country (although it's great going to visit her).

It was really hard to choose between the first three for MOH and I almost didn't have one as they all mean so much to me, but in the end I realised I'd have felt terrible choosing anybody but Nina, and when I asked her she told me she'd have assumed it anyway ๐Ÿ˜‚ which about sums it up!

Antonia! (Chief taster/ helper for the wedding wine trip!). Insanely talented violinist and also one of the most fun and bubbly and warm people you will ever meet. We have been playing together for years and years and I can't even begin to tell you how much I respect her! She is one of those people everyone knows and everyone likes, and loves wine a lot (hence wine trip role). She also has a gorgeous little dog called Oscar!

Soph! My best friend from the school I went to for sixth form. She's petite and beautiful and extremely arty, an interior designer! She creates such beautiful things it's amazing.. most of my weekends in first year involved clubbing with her in London, and even a festival! So unlike me now, but despite both being quite shy we really let loose and had so much fun! She is probably the most similar to me, and really understands a lot that the others can't. We don't make as much effort as we should, but when we do it's always great! Slightly concerned as her sister hasn't set the date for her wedding next summer, and if it does end up on the same day of course I'd expect her to go with her sister, but I hope that doesn't happen so she'll be by my side.

Ellie! middle sister (I'm the eldest). Jazz singer extraordinaire! She's extremely bright, talented and cares so much about other people. She does lots of work with various charities, volunteers at Christmas, and is extremely kind. She loves sparkly things and making wonderful cakes, and completely transforms when you hand her a mic and put a jazz band behind her! We didn't get on at all growing up but now it's fantastic.

Mei (pronounced My)! Baby of the family! I've always felt especially protective of her and she needs some looking after sometimes, so I am probably a very annoying big sister to her! She's an amazing actress (has appeared in Vikings/Penny Dreadful/ little women), and is sweet and funny and one of the people in life who has no idea how clever and talented they are. She will be a household name one day soon. She's spent a lot of the last few years in Dublin but we're thrilled she's back in London now so we get to see a lot more of her. She spends too much time worrying about her friends and not herself sometimes. I'm so proud to have both my sisters with me on the day!

Nona! Nona is Ralph's sister, and she is AWESOME. She's gender fluid, so I was worried about the label of bridesmaid but she has said that it's fine. Nona is amazing. Extremely strong mentally, feisty, performs spoken word and drag, badgered her local MP until he stopped any correspondence from her, studying Media and journalism. She cares about so many things and really does what she can to make a difference, and I admire her so much! Can't wait to have her as SIL. We are going to ask her to write a poem for the ceremony and perform it, which will be our only reading, and it's one of the things I'm most looking forward to (if she's ok with it!)

They're all wonderful and I'm super proud to have them as my bridesmaids! They're so different and unique, and that's the reason I've told them all to choose their own dresses; I love them all for who they are and I want them to be comfortable and themselves on the day:)

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,137 New bride

Your bridesmaids sound super cool and talented! The way you write just glows with the love and admiration you have for them. So warming to read!

Your dresses are stunning. You look beautiful in both, I think the first is definitely going to get a wow reaction don’t worry! I think the evening dress just about inches it for me though, it’s the sort of dress I wish suited me but doesn’t! I think it’s so lovely on you. I think I’d wear it without the bolero as much as possible though just to show it off, plus your waist looks tiny in it! The hairband goes beautifully too. Do you know at what point in the day you’ll change?

• You look so amazing in your dresses. I know you were umming and ahhing about keeping the shorter hair, but you really do look fantastic with your headband and veil.

Your dresses look amazing and I love them with your shirt hair (: 

also how cool do your bridesmaids sound!?

• Thanks all :) I'm really thrilled with them. I slightly prefer the first one because it feels so special and different to my normal life. The evening one is so beautiful and sparkly but the shape is more like something I would wear for concerts etc. I'm still ridiculously excited about them both!

And yes my bridesmaids are really cool ๐Ÿ˜Ž they're an awesome group of people and I consider myself very lucky!

• I'm not sure about when to change. I think it will partly depend on how hot it is! Probably after main meal, for cutting the cake/first dance/the more relaxed part of the day. But still thinking about it. When do people think could work?

• I'm planning to change into my second dress before the dancing part of the evening. We're not having a first dance, and instead are going to toast the dance floor open, so I plan to change before all that goes ahead. 

• I’ve just binged read this entire thread and I’m in love! With everything from the tipis, to the food, the decorations, your dress - it all basically! 

We were thinking of going for a marquee (traditional vintage one) but I’m very worried about the weather rain and cold - have you taken any provisions for this? If so what are they As I’m looking for some ideas/ confidence that it wont be a disaster and to just book it! X

• jerigeorgia wrote (see post):

I’ve just binged read this entire thread and I’m in love! With everything from the tipis, to the food, the decorations, your dress - it all basically! 

We were thinking of going for a marquee (traditional vintage one) but I’m very worried about the weather rain and cold - have you taken any provisions for this? If so what are they As I’m looking for some ideas/ confidence that it wont be a disaster and to just book it! X

Thanks so much :)

We're trying to work that out at the moment, we're hopeful as it's August! But the good thing about the tipis is that they have a contraption at the top which is supposed to help control the temperature; I don't really understand how it works but it's supposed to keep the temperature somewhere in the middle. I'm not sure how that will work with a marquee, what time of year will yours be? The tipis are waterproof, as is the flooring, and we'll have a waterproof walkway from the entrance to the garden to the tipi entrance.

I'm going to look into some heaters, but I'm really hoping based on this summer it shouldn't be TOO cold.. If it's looking rubbish hopefully we'll have found a potential heating option and I'll go and buy lots of fluffy blankets from somewhere cheap!