Newcastle Wedding, November 2018

Hello!!

Although we are only 3 months off the wedding I thought I would start this because it would be great to look back on after the deed is done!

How we met

It was a good old fashioned swipe right (or left?? Can't remember now!) on Tinder! 

I was living in Cumbria at the time and he was in Newcastle. He'd set his location to Newcastle only but I was in the middle of a trip in Ikea so must have temporarily flashed up on his phone! This was 1st October 2014.

Anyway, I we met on Tinder and straight away the bants were hilarious. And he was HOT. He was 30 and I was 32 but his birthday was a few days before we ended up having our first date (25th October) so I (very stalkerish and creepy I know!) got his a signed first edition copy of a George RR Martin book that was written in his year of birth - however, the bold move paid off and he loved it!

The reason it took us so long to have our first date is because I have two children from my previous relationship, they were only 8 and 10 at the time. I was obviously upfront about them from the very start and he had no obvious qualms about it, but in my head I was obviously thinking 'what 31 year old, childless single man want with a lady with two kids?'. Anyway, I got the train across to Newcastle on the Saturday night as the kids were at their dad's for the weekend and we had planned to meet for dinner and drinks. I want go into the details but I didn't end up going home until the Monday morning (ooops!) and we've together ever since!

We waited a few months before he met the kids and he took us all on a 'date'. He took us to have donuts for breakfast, along to an urban petting zoo, Seven Stories which is a children's book museum, for lunch and then the cinema! It was so sweet - he loved them straight away and, luckily, the feeling was mutual!

As we lived in Cumbria and he lived in Newcastle we spent the next 18 months commuting to see each other at weekends. At the 18 month point, my eldest had finished secondary school and was moving on to high school. She loved spending time in Newcastle as there was so much more to do so I decided to move across in the summer. I got a house for the three of us to live in (didn't want to push them too far and move in with a man they'd only known for a year and a half - also, he owns his own house, and he rented a few rooms out to pals) and transferred jobs.

After another year and a half of us living nearer, he was practically living at the house I was renting, and the people who he was renting rooms to both left in the same month so he asked us to move in. He asked the girls first, and it was a massive YES PLEASE from them!

• Candice9Candice9 Posts: 230

The proposal

Before we moved in there was some work that needed done one the house, so while we were getting a new kitchen fitted and floor etc put down he was staying at mine. On our third anniversary we went for a lush tasting menu at Peace and Loaf (we said to dress up, I was surprised when he went full suit though!) and after a lovely night he said he wanted to go back to his which I thought was odd as it was like a building site, but we went there anyway. When we got there we were in the half kitchen and said he couldn't wait for us to move in and be a proper family and that we were going to have a lot of happy years in the house in the future and he wanted to make it official and he got down on one knee! There was lots of tears! He had booked us an appointment at Rox jewellers in town for the next morning (I am super fussy) and we were there and they plied us with champagne and treats while I tried on a million rings before I found one that I loved!

The Venue

We knew straight away that we wanted to get married in the city. There are some beautiful venues in the countryside in the North East, from barns to stately homes to castles, but we couldn't think of a single venue that one of his friends hasn't been married in!

So we narrowed it down to three. The first venue we went to see was The Biscuit Factory, a lovely gallery in the Ouseburn area of Newcastle. The thing that's most important to us is the food, and they have a renowned chef.

imageimage

While the gallery space was a lovely area for the ceremony, it was an extra cost and the fuction room was a bit too plain. Also, the outside area was just a main road and a garage with a block of flats which I wan't keen on.

The next venue was Wylam Brewery, in Exhibition Park. This was lovely and the OH was really keen on it, however, I wasn't overly keen on walking down the aisle in a Brewery, and there were a few logistical issues with it too. I also felt it was a bit dark, and I really wanted something light and airy

image image

The last venue we went to see, and the one we chose, was BALTIC Centre for Contemporary Art. The minute we walked in we both new it was 'The One'. We have been for dinner in SIX restaurant there a few times and the food is out of this world. It's also really bright, airy and right on the river, which is gorgeous at night as all the bridges are lit up!

imageimageimageimage

Rachel the wedding planner was LOVELY, and they had the 3rd November 2018 free (also bonfire weekend, so hoping to get some views of some fireworks going off across the river!) so we jumped at it. Also, as it's off peak, she gave us a fab deal ;)

The ceremony will be held in the River Terrace, the canape/cocktail reception and the wedding breakfast upstairs in SIX restaurant and the evening do in back in the River Terrace. As it's all in one space and the views are spectacular, even if the weather is bad we can hopefully still get some good shots!

• AwhelenqtAwhelenqt Posts: 829 New bride

I know you've not picked it but I LOVE the biscuit factory! They do a wedding show there called A Wedding Less Ordinary and we went and i said it was the perfect venue! If we hadn't already booked ours I would've strongly considered it! We're getting married in Matfen though :)

The Stationary

As we had less that a year to go, we thought we ought to crack on with the invites and getting people locked down! The theme we decided to go for is elegant/sophisticated black tie during the day and then 'night sky' for the evening. The colours we have decided on are white, silver and midnight blue.

We decided to forgo the Save the Dates as there was so little time so we got straight into looking for invites. There are some lovely design companies out there, but we found the following from Project Pretty which was just what we wanted! Our guest list is restricted by our budget so we are having 60 day guests and 100 evening guests (cutting down the guest list was difficult, especially as OH's parents gave us a chunk towards the wedding) but needs must!

They also do table plans, table numbers and thank you notes in the same design which we need to get. We have already bought the name plates.

The Rings

We went back to Rox for the wedding rings as the service we recieved there was excellent (and we got 20% off because we got my engagement ring from there )

My engagement ring is platinum and OH and I both just wanted plain platinum rings. He found  lovely 5mm plain courtbut when I tried a plain one on it just didn't look right.....

...so I ended up trying on loads (with more champagne, of course!!) until I found one which I LOVE...

The next step was bridesmaids dresses. I have three adult bridesmaids along with the two girls. I am having a NIGHTMARE trying to find something for the girls (if anyone knows where I can get something for a 14 year old that's not awful please let me know!), luckily thanks to ASOS the adult bridesmaids were easy.

Awhelenqt wrote (see post):

I know you've not picked it but I LOVE the biscuit factory! They do a wedding show there called A Wedding Less Ordinary and we went and i said it was the perfect venue! If we hadn't already booked ours I would've strongly considered it! We're getting married in Matfen though :)

Ooooooh I love Matfen! I went there a few months ago for a spa break, it's only about 20 minutes away from me. 

I did like the Biscuit factory, I just thought that the space was too big for us and when we saw it is was empty and just felt like a function room you would find in any hotel. I lack any sort of imagination!!

The cake

Having looked around at the cost of cakes I could NOT believe how expensive they were!! I toyed with the idea of getting one from Marks and Spencers, but then my lovely friend and work colleague reminded me that her mam is a cake maker!

I got in touch and she was lovely. We picked a 4 tier cake which only came to 240 quid because only the bottom tier is cake, the others are decorated foam blocks. I loved this idea, as the cake is still big enough to feed everyone we have and it's so much cheaper! She is doing the following for us, but it midnight blue with silver instead of gold. She is also lending us a silver sequined table cloth for the cake table. 

We also got in touch with the lovely Coco Luminaire who are going to provide us some large light up letters. OH wasn't overly keen on the idea but I managed to talk him round! We are having these (but with initials obviously!)

imageimage

Photographer

We spoke to a LOT of different photographers because we want something that we think is edgy and unique and not the standard wedding shots. I was starting to get a bit dispondent because everyone that we liked was booked, until a lovely friend (and one of my bridesmaids!) suggested The Twins. As soon as I saw they work I was convinced that I wanted them, and luckily they were free! I had a good long chat with the lovely Kelly and we booked her there and then!

Some examples of their work (including one at the Baltic!)

imageimageimageimage

The bridal party

Haven't mentioned this yet!

I am having three adults - one is my best friend Juliet, i have known her for 10+ years and she's on of my favourite people in the world. She lives in Cumbria so I don't get to see her that often but I love her! The other two are my friends Lauren (who I used to work with) and Danielle (who I currently work with). Obviously I am also having the girls. OH is having his brother as best man and three of his best friends as ushers, although one of them has a pregnant wife who is due the week after the wedding with her third and she had her other two early, so fingers crossed they are still able to make it!

As we are in our thirties, most of our friends have children, however, due to costs and the sort of venue we are having we have decided on a no children rule other than me two (who are teenagers) and OH's sisters two boys who are 1 and 5. Not sure how to keep them entertained during the wedding.....also the venue doesn't allow children after 10pm but I think they are going to be staying in a hotel nearby.

The flowers

OHs aunty does flowers (not as a profession just as a hobby) and has offered to do the bouquets, button holes and centrepeices for us. We just want some really simple fishbowls on the tables with white roses in them.

We are going to have white anemones for the bouquets because a) they match the colour scheme and b) they are in season. A big version for me and smaller versions for the maids, and also for the buttonholes:

imageimage

We will be paying cost price for the flowers and she will arrange them as our wedding present which is really sweet of her. 

We are going to see an event decorator this week to look at decoration the venue. She is also a florist. We are wanting a moon gate at the end of the aisle which she does and we are hoping that she will add some flowers to it. We are looking at something like this (but with white flowers):

Decoration

The grand plans we had were to do the decoration ourselves but as time goes on with full time jobs and two kids (I am also planning two big work events at the same time!) it's look less and less feasible! So as I mentioned we are going to see an event decorator.

For the ceremony we want a moongate and then down the aisle we want a runner and some candles, and maybe some little posies added to the end of every other row. Something like this:

The candles can then be used on the tables with the fishbowls. I'd also like to get some mirrored plates to stand them on. 

• AwhelenqtAwhelenqt Posts: 829 New bride
    Candice9 wrote (see post):

Ooooooh I love Matfen! I went there a few months ago for a spa break, it's only about 20 minutes away from me. 

I did like the Biscuit factory, I just thought that the space was too big for us and when we saw it is was empty and just felt like a function room you would find in any hotel. I lack any sort of imagination!!

Well not Matfen Hall, it's a brewery nearby called High House. And we had the same thoughts to be fair even when it was full of vendors, it looked way too huge for our 40 guests haha 

Well not Matfen Hall, it's a brewery nearby called High House. And we had the same thoughts to be fair even when it was full of vendors, it looked way too huge for our 40 guests haha 

I have been to a few weddings there! It's really gorgeous!

'The Dress'

And obviously the most important thing! 

I had a day planned in with two of my bridemaids with a few appointments booked to go and scout out some dresses - I made them promise to not let me but anything on that day!

The first shop we went to I ended up trying on approximately 10 million dresses. I was after something plain but after trying on some big princess type gowns and fell in love with one. It was 200 quid over my 2500 budget but I was adament that I wanted it! By bm's reminded me that we had an appointment at a sample sale later on and to not do anything impulsive so we went for some lunch (and prosecco!) while I mulled it over.

We went to another shop after that but nothing grabbed me in the same way.

We had an appointment at a sample sale in a different shop but I wasn't that keen on going but we went anyway and I am so glad that I did because I found the MOST PERFECT dress! The lady showed it to me and I was a bit like 'meh' because it's in a 'metallic blue' colour but as soon as I tried it on I was like THIS IS IT. I just felt really, REALLY good in it (fyi while I was trying it on 'I only Have Eyes for You' by the Flamingoes came on the radio which is our first dance song so i was like FATE! She said is was 2500 which was on budget, but as it was a sample it was reduced to 550 quid!! And it *almost* fit perfectly so won't need many alterations!! 

I was completely buzzing. Nipped to the pub to mull it over again but was back and buying it after 30 minutes! It has now been collected and is living at Lauren's house. I have booked the alterations for a month before the wedding.

The only issue I have is the veil that I bought with it. I loved it on, but when I look back at the pictures I think it masks the embellishment of the dress too much? Posted on another thread but here they are again:

imageimage

• MrsS85MrsS85 Posts: 688 New bride

I love the colour of your dress, when I saw it on your other thread I thought it looked a little slivery/blue but thought it might have just been the light! it really nice in that colour and what a bargain too! congrats!

Favours came today-so happy with them!

I suffer from depression and anxiety, luckily it is under control using a combination of medication and counselling.  The MD of the company I work for is a director on the board of our regional Mind, so when I came across these I knew they'd be perfect for us. Personal,  and also very meaningful for both myself and OH. Luckily for us they fit in with the colour scheme  (they are little pins)

• ducklingduckling Posts: 116 New bride

Your plans all look great! 

love the focus on the food, we live in Newcastle too and Peace & Loaf and Artisan are our go to places for a fancy dinner! 

I’ve been to a wedding at Wylam before but not the Baltic, looks like a great choice :) 

Event decoration

Had a great meeting with the event decorator and she had some great ideas.

As H2B's aunties is doing the bouquets and roses for the fishbowl centre pieces, the event planner is doing a long and low arrangement for the top table and a matching arrangement for the registrar table, along with a hanging arrangement. We originally wanted a moongate arch but they were more expensive and she showed me an example and I fell in love with it!

So she is providing the runner for the ceremony and some chair sashes, clusters of hurricane vases and candles for the aisle and the hanging arrangement.

She's also providing mirrored charger plates and fishbowls for the centrepieces and tealights to go with them for the wedding breakfast, along with the flowers for the top table and navy runners for the guest tables. On the top table we are having navy runners overlaid with silver sequined runners.

Then we are having 60 hanging lanterns and stars for the evening reception to be hung from the ceiling.  The aisle candles are going to be used on the tables for the evening reception along with some moon lamps that we found and some blue and silver table confetti. 

So this combined with the large letters and festoon lighting and the views will hopefully be enough! The biggest relief for me is knowing that someone else is going to come and sort it, and I can get ready on the morning of the wedding knowing that it is all in professional hands!!! 

Here are some shots of the sorts of thing I mean...

imageimage

Hanging arrangement

This is the reception venue and these are the kinds of lanterns we are having, except there will be 60 of them and they will all be silver, white and navy (and 20 of them will be star shapes).

Entertainment

We are struggling a bit with this one!! The wedding breakfast finishes at 5pm (SIX Restaurant in the Baltic opens in the evening) and our evening reception starts at 6.30 with cake cutting/first dance at 7.30.

The bar in the reception venue will be open and we are serving tea and coffee but I am worried that that is a big lull in time-the galleries (there are 4 floors of them) are open until 6pm so people have that option but I really don't want people to be bored! We have booked an AMAZING band for the evening (deets below) but what can we do in the interim??

We have an outside terrace on the river, as it's bonfire weekend we will be popping loads of sparklers and toffee apples in a cart outside (praying that there will be some visable fireworks as all the city displays are happening that evening!) so people can sit outside with a blanket and watch the world go by. We are also setting up a camera with delayed shutters so people can take photos of themselves writing sparkler messages. As it's an art gallery our guest book is going to be a big canvas and we are leaving people loads of paints and felts so they can draw us a picture but I'm really really worries about people being bored until the evening celebrations kick off in earnest....any ideas anyone?? We don't want a photo booth...

The band we are getting is Hip Hop Hooray (http://www.hiphophoorayuk.com/), they are insane and right up our street! I originally wanted a swing band but most of the guests at the wedding will be under 40 (there will only be about 15 people older than that) so we thought this was better suited. So I am in the process of setting up a swing playlist that we can play during the wedding breakfast instead!

Shoes

I have been looking at shoes for a while and wanted some blue ones to go with the theme, and my good friend Claire mentioned that she wore blue shoes and that I could borrow them (as my something borrowed something blue) and they are PERFECT! I love them, and I didn't have to pay haha! The budget has gone towards some sort of hair accessories instead. 

We went to the Baltic a couple of weeks ago for a food tasting-woohoo delicious! We had a three course meal with wine pairings so we could taste the sort of food (not the actual food as it's super seasonal so we don't get to choose the actual menu until a bit closer to the time) we will be having along with the house wines which were really lovely. 

imageimageimageimageimage

• Sian91Sian91 Posts: 829 New bride

Food looks great, I think seasonal food is beautiful. Look forward to seeing your plans come together (:

Sian91 wrote (see post):

Food looks great, I think seasonal food is beautiful. Look forward to seeing your plans come together (:

Thanks so much! So am I haha x

We have had this week off work which has been lovely, camping (or glamping should I say!) in Yorkshire, cuddling under the stars around a fire pit and toasting marshmallows, visiting theme parks and castles and ruins (including going to Easby Abbey which was lovely and someone was having a wedding ceremony at Easby Hall outside in the garden so I was having a nosy-honestly, I am obsessed with weddings at the minute ), along with eating and drinking WAYYYYYY to much (back to the gym tonight, have not been for nearly a week. My bridesmaid and I are doing a 60 day transformation thing which includes lifting weights which I am not very good at but I have put on nearly a stone since I tried my dress on and with my fitting on the 3rd of October something's got to give, especially seeing as though the dress was a bit snug when I bought it . I am so cross at myself!).

Anyway, have had a lovely weddingy morning as we went to the registrar place to give notice of marriage!! It was a bit daunting (felt like I was on an episode of Nothing to Declare), I was convinced I was going to do something stupid like forget how old I am but it all went well. Our licence will be ready next month - do I need to take anything else to the ceremony with me or will that do?? They said the registrar will bring the licence with them on the day. 

Then we went to Olive and Bean for a celebratory breakfast and then to the jewellers to pick up my engagement ring! When I bought our wedding rings they said I can take it in twice for free to get it sent off and professionally polished (it looked filthy next to the lovely new wedding rings I was trying on, it had a bit of hob nob stuck in it ), but she said to bring it in about 2 months before because it can take a month to come back and I didn't want to take any chances. Anyway, I took it in a week ago and it was back in on Friday! I went to collect it today (have really missed wearing it!) with the intention of not wearing it until the day to keep it nice and sparkly but it looked so pretty I had to wear it! It looks brand new, they've done a great job-and not a biscuit crumb in sight! I'm just going to take it in again to get cleaned in October.

Over the weekend we have also picked two readings - we were a bit torn about whether to have readings or not but we found these which we really love; one from The Amber Skyglass as H2B is a massive Northern Lights fan and the other once is really meaningful to us as when we had been seeing each other for a while were both too shy to say 'I love you' so we both just started saying 'I capital L like you' instead. LAME but there you go! It also sums up our relationship to a T i think.

The Amber Spyglass by Phillip Pullman.

“I will love you forever; whatever happens. Till I die and after I die, and when I find my way out of the land of the dead, I’ll drift about forever, all my atoms, till I find you again… I’ll be looking for you, every moment, every single moment. And when we do find each other again, we’ll cling together so tight that nothing and no one’ll ever tear us apart. Every atom of me and every atom of you… We’ll live in birds and flowers and dragonflies and pine trees and in clouds and in those little specks of light you see floating in sunbeams… And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me.”

“I Like You” by Sandol Stoddard Warburg

I like you and I know why
    I like you because you are a good person to like
    I like you because when I tell you something special, you know it’s special
    And you remember it a long, long time
    You say, “Remember when you told me something special?”
    And both of us remember
    When I think something is important
    You think it’s important too
    We have good ideas
    When I say something funny, you laugh
    I think I’m funny and you think I’m funny too
    You know how to be silly
    That’s why I like you
    If I am getting ready to pop a paper bag,
    then you are getting ready to jump
    I like you because when I am feeling sad
    You don’t always cheer me up right away
    Sometimes it is better to be sad
    You want to think about things
    It takes time
    I like you because if I am mad at you
    Then you are mad at me too
    It’s awful when the other person isn’t
    I can’t remember when I didn’t like you
    It must have been lonesome then
    Even if it was the 999th of July
    Even if it was August
    Even if it was way down at the bottom of November
    I would go on choosing you
    And you would go on choosing me
    Over and over again
    And that’s how it would happen every time

I can't believe I am back to work tomorrow, I can't think of anything worse - wouldn't it be loely to just swan about and drink champagne and do wedding related stuff all the time. I have no idea what I am going to do with my time once this wedding has been and gone!

75 days to go!

• Mila-rose3Mila-rose3 Posts: 264 New bride

We have the same date 😍😍😍

Love your thread so far, keep it coming .. xx

Welshbride3 wrote (see post):

Yay date twin!

How are you finding the planning? Xx

• Ozzy2bOzzy2b Posts: 143

Your plans look amazing! Love the skyline views at your venue, and will be great to be able to see all the fireworks 

• Mila-rose3Mila-rose3 Posts: 264 New bride

Yay date twin!

Incredibly stressful. I have a OH who has absolutely no interest and has said to do what I want 🤣 (men), his family are all being ridiculously awkward and dropping out left right and centre.  Weddings hey ... how are you finding it all ? Are you all sorted .. I can't believe we only have 2 months and a few days left xx

Yay date twin!

Incredibly stressful. I have a OH who has absolutely no interest and has said to do what I want 🤣 (men), his family are all being ridiculously awkward and dropping out left right and centre.  Weddings hey ... how are you finding it all ? Are you all sorted .. I can't believe we only have 2 months and a few days left xx

I know, the time has gone so quickly! We only got engaged in October so not that long of an engagement really.

I feel your pain. OH is very good at expressing what he doesn't want, but when I ask his opinion  on anything he doesn't have any ideas-he just says 'I don't know but not that'. So the only thing I've left him in charge of are his suit and the groomsmens suits and he's done literally nothing about it yet! 

Have got accommodation sorted for the night before and the night of the wedding, another thing ticked off with only a couple of months to go!! 

As we are getting married in an art gallery rather than a hotel there is obviously no accommodation, however there is a MalMaison across the river so I have booked a suite for the night before and the night of. My best friend and MOH is staying there with me the night before, then on the day my other two adult bms,  the girls and MIL will be getting ready there (potentially a squeeze with a photographer and a hairdresser/MUA!).

Future MIL is also staying there the night before (I have no parents  sadly, but I count his family as my own!) with the girls-she, the girls, me and my bestie are going to have a quiet  dinner the night before. My other bms are local so will up on us at the hotel first thing,  and h2b will be staying at our house with all the groomsmen and his dad. 

On the morning of the wedding they will all get taxis to the venue. I have my heart set on walking over the Millennium Bridge from the hotel to the venue (it's literally opposite on the other side of the river) with my bridesmaids but as it's going to be November it might be a bit cold! If it rains, h2bs uncle will drive us in his car.

I've got to start making a list of all the little things that we need to do, like buying sparklers and something to put them in, as we are having them we need to take buckets of sand, a canvas for the guest book etc etc etc.

I've also got the hen do to think about which is at the end of October, I have no idea what we are doing as the bms have organised it. I think there is 12 of us going but I was really upset because, apart from my bms and three other girls that I work with, none of my other friends that I invited are attending. Most of the people there will be h2bs family members. I moved to Newcastle from Cumbria and the only people I know here I know through work (inc. two of my bridesmaids). My MOH is the only person I've known for longer than 2 years. I lost the vast majority of my friends when I was married to the kids dad as he was very abusive and controlling,  so really I be only got about 5 real proper pals, and I know that for most of them I'm just someone they work with and they have got their own group of proper best mates. But, I really like them all so I guess that's enough!