An Electric Wedding, November 2018

• Ozzy2bOzzy2b Posts: 143
    MrsS85 wrote (see post):

Just caught up on your thread, all your plans sound lovely, Love the cinema, you will get some lovely photo's in there.

Thank you! And photos are definitely one of my big hopes for the venue - I have seen some great pics from other weddings there and there‘s so much to work with using artificial light. I’ve just bought another 48 LED tealights 🤣 and seriously considering taking my own camera in for a group shot from our perspective! 

I think we are at the stage now where there’s lots done and just details to sort out (I hope!). Fitted in a few bits with a long weekend for the bank holiday and less busy weekends generally than we have had lately. So what we’ve done lately:

Collected our wedding rings. Very pleased with these and looks exactly as I imagined with my engagement ring

I’ve been collecting jars to make lanterns for the cinema and on Saturday received a huge bag of jars from one of K’s mums friends, and got 48 LED tealights on half price from Hobbycraft

K finally got to test out his DJ kit – we packed it all up to test transport and set up at a house party on Saturday, and all went well. We’re making playlists for the evening do, but K will be doing a DJ set during the night so this was his first proper test. He really enjoys it, and we decided to invest in the kit rather than paying someone else to DJ.

Cupcake test part 2. I am hoping to bake lots of cupcakes rather than have a cake, so currently testing recipes, cases and freezing techniques. Gluten free lemon in baking cups went well, though my icing skills definitely need some work! I’ve got a decorating gun type thing rather than piping bags, but keep underestimating how much icing I will need or making it too soft

Agree final cut of the video for the register signing – the Electric are making this for us, editing together clips from favourite films. We did compromise a bit over having more ‘couples’ moments from our usual action/comedy fare (though there’s some Shaun of the Dead in their too!)

Booked a big meal for friends and family the night before the wedding. A lot of people are travelling and staying the night before, so we thought this would be a nice way to catch up. We’ve gone for tapas as there’s something for everyone and people can have as much or as little as they like.

Evening invites are going out! Mostly to work friends, but a few extras to be posted out too

A few stresses though – my Mum is being really quite belligerent at the moment about things like people being there on time (we have some persistent latecomers in the family, but I’m sure they won’t be late for a wedding!), saying that she will be telling our photographer that she wants any pictures of her retouched, and insisting that we have sides in terms of seating (when I said we didn’t want this, I got told to shut up!). I feel like I am going to spend my wedding day apologising for my mother at this point. Sadly most people who spend much time with her are used to her bad behaviour, and K has always stood by me, and stood up to her in challenging this, but she rarely recognises that she is in the wrong in any way. I just hope that she can get a grip on the day and let things go for once!

• Sian91Sian91 Posts: 829 New bride

Hopefully your Mum will keep quiet as it’s your wedding day and she should respect that. 

People are definitely the hardest part of planning!

Sian91 wrote (see post):

Hopefully your Mum will keep quiet as it’s your wedding day and she should respect that. 

People are definitely the hardest part of planning!

Oh they really are! Especially as pretty much everyone else is very relaxed and just happy to be part of it. Hopefully she’ll settle down but my sister had this before her wedding too. I think she was alright on the day, though to be fair, if she wasn’t I can’t say I noticed! 

Been having a random stress about make up. I’m doing my own on the day, which I feel ok with. I did do a Bridal lesson with Bobbi Brown, which I highly recommend. The final look was too ‘done’ for my tastes, but having someone do your make up with a full range of products and being able to ask questions was really helpful. Plus it was free and there was no hard sell on buying products. 

I am however getting concerned about foundation as everything I currently have (Bobbi Brown skin, The Ordinary Serum and Origins Ginzing Tinted Moisturiser) has SPF. As our venue has no natural light, I think flash photography is almost inevitable, and I don’t want flashback. 

Any recommendations? My skin is in pretty good condition, a little tending towards dry patches. I’ve ordered samples of the Laura Mercier non SPF foundation, and have seen mixed reviews on Bobbi Brown Stick foundation. 

This is the normal level of light I am looking at so even with a fast camera there will have to be some flash work! 

Starting to get a bit more busy now on the planning front. Having booked and bought a lot of stuff early on (well 4-5 months ago) we’re now sorting out the details. 

We’ve booked our food tasting - we can have a set menu, or we can ask our guests to pre order from a range. Tempted towards the latter as it gives more choice, and I think would be a nice job for Mums to help us with. The hotel also has a specific vegan menu which looks fab - my sister and sister in law are both vegan, and It’s lovely to have a proper choice to offer them.

After fussing about foundation, I went and got colour matched for Estée Lauder Double Wear today. I got a sample and if I’m happy will pop back in next week to buy. I’ve worn it before but ages ago so want to have a few days to try it out. 

We’ve got our joint HenStag trip up to Scotland next month, and K is organising a local night out in Brum too. Still undecided as to whether or not to do the same - I don’t have a huge group to invite and not sure people will want to do something the week before the weddint anyway. 

Still need to sort out centrepieces, make the wedding cupcakes, pay all the balances and finalise the playlists! 

I forgot the table plan! We did this in the pub on Saturday afternoon, and despite neither of us being able to add 6 numbers up correctly - nothing to do with the beer, honest! - we managed it with remarkably little stress. I think we managed a good mix although a lot of our guests know each other - one of the nice things about a small wedding 😊

• Ozzy2b wrote (see post):

I forgot the table plan! We did this in the pub on Saturday afternoon, and despite neither of us being able to add 6 numbers up correctly - nothing to do with the beer, honest! - we managed it with remarkably little stress. I think we managed a good mix although a lot of our guests know each other - one of the nice things about a small wedding 😊

Ahh you're so lucky. We had thought most of the people who were going to come had RSVP'd already, so I did my table plan, only for last minute overseas RSVPs to come in. I now have six more people and no idea where I'm going to sit them. The table plan is def. my most hated wedding thing so far. Well done for getting it done with so easily! 

Pre order sounds good, I always appreciate a choice at a wedding! 

Glad to hear all your planning is well underway!

• Just binge read your thread! I love your venue, we nearly went for a cinema for ours as well, I love something a bit different! 

Well done on the seating plan, we are having long tables so I guess I have been quite lucky that it will be a bit easier to do! 

FutureMrsTomlin wrote (see post):

Just binge read your thread! I love your venue, we nearly went for a cinema for ours as well, I love something a bit different! 

Well done on the seating plan, we are having long tables so I guess I have been quite lucky that it will be a bit easier to do! 

Thank you! I remember your thread as there aren't many cinema venues. Though I think a museum would have been my second choice! I am a bit jealous of the long tables though - wish we could have had them but as it's a hotel reception, round tables are the standard set up. Mainly though we just wanted a good sociable layout and a mix of people so hopefully have achieved that!

The Electric Cinema

So though I would write a bit more about the The Electric – our ceremony venue. It’s the oldest working cinema in the UK, but has only been run in its current form since 2005 when it was bought and refurbished as an independent cinema. They show first run films, but also do lots of special screenings and events. It’s licensed, and if you are in the sofa seats you can text your order to the bar. We’ve been going regularly since we met, have taken lots of friends and family (their gift vouchers for sofa seats are a go to present!), and we have a tradition of going every Boxing Day as well. So for us it’s somewhere we are really familiar with, and that we will go back to again and again. 

It’s by no means a wedding every week type of venue, but they have had weddings there regularly over the years – the owner actually got the license for his own wedding, and decided to keep it going as a side business!

When we went in for our first meeting with them, we weren’t quite sure what to expect – we had been in the cinema screens and public areas, but there turned out to be so much more.

We met in the basement and found there are two full recording studios under the cinema – this space was also were K could get ready and have his Registrar interview on the day.

Upstairs there is a Green Room with a dressing area for me to get ready, and this even has a side entrance so I could get in and out without being seen. In addition we talked about how they could help us make films to show and we could choose posters for the displays and have the cinema letters outside changed for us.

As we had gone for a Saturday, our booking is between 12 and 2pm, with use of the whole building. With a 1pm ceremony, it means there’s time for a technical rehearsal for screen and music, our interviews on site, and some time after for photos in and around the building. We want less formal photos, but felt the opportunity to get a group photo in the cinema was too good to pass up. So we are going to ask people to remain seated when we walk out, we’ll come back in and will have drinks served in the cinema to keep everyone in place for photos.

The screen (and the tech support) is part of the deal. So we wanted to use the screen to show both photos and some clips from films. This ended up being one of the more stressful parts of the experience as we had to not only decide what we wanted but also document everything on screen for the Registry Office to check! So a bit of a mad scramble to pick film clips to be shown during the register signing and source all the details of them, including background music, for the Registry office.

We are showing a Pixar Short and our own short slideshow before the ceremony, and then we have worked with The Electric to put together some favourite film clips for our guests to watch during the register signing. As our tastes run more towards action and comedy than romance, selecting the clips was a bit of a challenge! We picked some films we’ve seen together at The Electric (also handy as we didn’t have to source the films!) and scoured our own collections for the right moments to include. We’ve wound up with some classic scenes and some lesser known moments, focused on couples and romance. We may have stretched that definition somewhat to get a Shaun of the Dead clip in there, but hopefully people will see it as being very ‘us’

• MrsS85MrsS85 Posts: 688 New bride

Your venue sounds fab, I think its lovely its a place you are already very fond of and know you will go back again. So cool you have a film, change the posters and letters outside too!

MrsS85 wrote (see post):

Your venue sounds fab, I think its lovely its a place you are already very fond of and know you will go back again. So cool you have a film, change the posters and letters outside too!

It’s weird - of all things I want for the day - other than getting married to K, and everyone having a good time - seeing our names outside the cinema is the big one for me!  

I love seeing peoples names outside the cinema! Also super exciting that you have done your film clips now (:

Finally getting back to planning after a crazy busy week at work and at home! 

We had our menu tasting this week, and turns out this part is far harder than table planning. We want to offer our guests a choice for dinner, had this all settled until my Mum turned her nose up at every single option. Then we went to the tasting and realised that several options wouldn’t suit other family who can’t/won’t eat certain things due to medical issues and personal preference. So now looking to combine options from two menus and having to check it all with various people to make sure they will be able to eat.

All the while with my Mum saying we are over complicating things, and that‘s she‘s never been offered a choice of food at a wedding (which since she wouldn’t eat any of our choices would leave her going hungry..) 

I knew something would get complicated at this stage!! 

• The more I hear about your venue the more I love it, sounds incredible! 

I agree about giving people choices, I don't want picky eaters to not eat anything and also I think if you don't give a choice you have to go for something quite plain and safe so you can't necessarily have the food you want to eat on your wedding day. 

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,135 New bride

Just binge read everything - sounds amazing! Your venue is so cool & I love the names outside! The film clips is cool too although I can imagine that‘s quite a tricky task!

Picky eaters are a difficult one! Most of my immediate family on my Mum’s side are really plain and fussy eaters (but the type who insist they’ll eat anything and then look like they’ve chewed a wasp when you sit at a restaurant and they look at the menu!!). It doesn’t help we’re getting married in Italy so fish and chips or a roast aren’t options which is about all that would suit them all. I think it’s great that you can give people a choice - I would maybe go for one more normal / fancy menu option that you really love and then a choice of something plainer. Or would you be able to ask for any sauces etc to be served on the side of one option so that if that’s what puts people off, they can just leave it off? I think on the whole as long as there’s plenty of food people can make do, and if they know the menu beforehand and know they won’t eat much they can have a big breakfast or lunch before they go or fill up a bit on canapés etc.

Looking forward to reading the rest of your plans!

Thanks ladies. After a lot of thought we’ve made sure to include a plainer option. We get to offer 3 choices of starter, main and dessert so we’ve mixed and matched to have a meat, fish and veggie option with a chocolate, fruit based and cheese option for dessert. There‘s also a full vegan menu with two options for each course - happily my sister and her husband were very pleased with this!

I suppose I don’t think of it as ’picky’ eaters - we eat out a lot with family and we’re used to checking menus beforehand to make sure people can eat there! We just wanted to offer a choice as we want our guests to enjoy the day. For us, that means food they actually want to eat! 

Anyway, in other news we had confirmation from the Registry Office of our timings and that all our music and film choices are acceptable 😊 We went to Bicester yesterday and K got a lovely coat from Reiss to wear with his suit half price. I got earrings - just from Fossil but I needed stainless steel. Also confirmed my ears are still pierced even though I haven’t worn earrings for 8 years! i just wanted something as I can’t wear a necklace with my dress so just small crystal drops, and a crystal bracelet I got from eBay. So just shoes to sort for K, who has seen a pair he likes in Office. 

Feeling a bit weird that we are now coming up to the final month! This week I paid for our hair on the day and confirmed timings, we’ve sent out menu choices to everyone and are waiting to hear back on a maybe rehearsal date. Next week we’ll pay the balances for the cinema and our photographer. Things still to sort: 

Centrepieces - yes or no? With no colour theme and no flowers I’m leaning towards CBA! The venue has lovely candelabras so going to look at the room next week to decide 

Cupcakes - need to source cake stands and transport boxes, and actually bake the things! One batch has been successfully frozen and defrosted so just need to test the rest. Our work colleagues are going to be in for a good few weeks of cake! 

Shoes - for bridesmaids who both want Converse, just need to decide on style. For K who has picked his just need to buy them

Decor for The Electric - need to finish our slideshow and poster. 60 LED tealights to test and an assortment of jars to be prettied up to put them in

Pre wedding meal - booked and deposit down, just need to confirm numbers 

Final timings and who’s where/doing what on the day - trying to keep set up to a minimum but have fitted In a couple of breaks so K can set up DJ kit, I can set up cakes and we can both have some time away from the madness! 

Hen and Stag dos - we’ve each got nights out in Brum and a joint weekend away in Scotland to fit in in the next month! Getting our planning heads on this weekend as we’re sorting these ourselves. 

In the meantime we’ve got a few days downtime this weekend as we booked theatre tickets (for Hamilton!!!!) way back before we got engaged so off to London for what is now a pre wedding holiday 😊

One month to go! K messaged me earlier to say it was National Boyfriend Day and therefore his last one 😊

I had a meeting with the reception venue yesterday to go through various details for the day - got lots of questions answered and got to have a look at the newly decorated room for the meal. It’s quite neutral but classic so thinking to keep it simple with candlelight. 

Paid the final balance for both the ceremony venue and the photographer today too, so that’s two big payments out. We’ve had some help from family but we’ve spread the costs out so we haven’t taken too much of a hit. We are really lucky to have no other debts other than mortgage, so we’ve been able to manage wedding costs without too much pain. 

We were also able to book a rehearsal - just a brief one as we are fitting in between films - but that’s a weight off my mind as I am randomly concerned about stairs and not fitting down the aisle with my Dad or K! So we can go in the weekend before the wedding to run through the march  and exit. 

• Candice9Candice9 Posts: 230

Yay, one month for me too!

Ah it will come quick now; if it's not already! I'm a sucker for candlelight at weddings, so I'm sure it will look amazing!

Time really is flying now! And I can highly recommend visiting your venue on a crappy grey rainy day as you can see what is possible even when outside is horrible. That said still holding out hope for cold and bright 🤣

Some thoughts on make up – K had his stag do on Friday, so I had a full make up practice.

I had never had my make up done professionally and wasn’t sure that I wanted to start on my wedding day! But I felt that I could use some tips, and after a bit of googling, found that Bobbi Brown do a bridal make up lesson for free.

I have a fairly good routine day to day, although I tend to have more of a focus on skincare. Having suffered horribly with my skin when I was younger, and having spent probably thousands on skin care, make up wasn’t a massive priority for me. I didn’t even wear anything beyond powder, eyeshadow and lip balm until I was in my 20s. On the flipside, I have a cast iron cleansing and moisturising routine that has served me well, and whilst I’ve always mixed and matched products I have refined this in the last 18 months or so to something that really works for me.

I booked in on the Bobbi Brown counter at John Lewis in Birmingham, and spent just over an hour being made up. More products than I have ever worn on my face in one go! I was dubious, especially under the horrible shop fluorescents, but there is a balcony outside with natural light and it all looked a hundred times better when we stepped outside. The MUA talked through everything and I asked loads of questions as we went along. There wasn’t any pressure to buy anything – I did get the Skin Foundation and the first lipstick I have ever tried and really liked, plus a sample of the primer used.

The final look was a bit too ‘done’ for me, but picked up some useful tips, especially on using concealer and applying blush, neither of which I was confident with.

However, as lovely as the MUA was, the experience was enough for me to decide that I really didn’t feel comfortable with having my makeup done by someone else. So armed with some new techniques and products I just decided to practice doing my own make up. Obviously this works better when I am actually going out, but I am just testing different ideas day to day!

I’m pretty confident with my base, although wanted to test different foundations. I normally use tinted moisturiser and a primer with a light serum foundation and translucent powder, so have been testing different combinations to see what works best. I’ve got the Bobbi Brown foundation, my day to day stuff from The Ordinary, No.7 Intelligent Colour and an Estee Lauder Double Wear to work with. For on the day I am leaning towards the Estee Lauder for longevity as long as I can be assured it won’t flashback.

I picked up a setting spray and blotting papers from NYX and these do really make a difference to keeping shine down.

Mascara has always been a bit of a bugbear for me – I’ve got naturally very dark lashes and brows and I tightline my upper waterlines, so rarely bother with mascara as it always felt clumpy and unnatural to me. I’ve been trying the L’Oreal Lash Sensational Primer and Mascara and getting better results, though I don’t know if I want the hassle on the day.

Eyes are still to be practised but thinking a softer brown/pinky look. I’ve got green/hazel eyes so reddish tones work well to make them stand out. In lieu of eyeshadow primer the Maybelline Colour Tattoo cream eyeshadows make a great base.

Brows are my current nightmare. They are overplucked (child of the 90s) and sparse. I have a full fringe so they are generally covered up and this won’t change on the day. However I probably need more than my usual swipe of eyebrow pencil. At Bobbi Brown they filled them out the current giant proportions (much like those I plucked away all those years ago) but they didn’t look like me! 

It’s all getting a bit real! Just sent our final numbers, menu choices and table plans in and we pay the reception balance this week – the last big bill. Had a call from the Registry Office last night just to talk through the ceremony details which was hugely reassuring - the Registrar talked me through the whole process and we got to sort out little details like where exactly K will stand, how the venue will be laid out, plus lots of advice on where our photographer could go and how other weddings at the venue have gone.

We are finally starting to accumulate stuff to take with us – other than our clothes we didn’t really have much before! My sister has made all our bouquets and buttonholes so we travelled up to Scotland to collect those, plus a giant cupcake stand which she had for her wedding. Whilst we were away I had a delivery of cupcake boxes, and have started putting together all the jars and LED lights for the cinema. I’ve ordered our flower girls shoes (Glitter Converse!) so have those to pick up and need to sort out a decent make up bag to carry all my kit in. We also made a final decision last night not to bother with centrepieces – the venue has candlelabras and we might add some smaller candles around them if we get time to buy them.

We also turned our trip to Scotland into a mini combined Hen and Stag do and family catch up with my brother and sister. Our best man and his girlfriend came up with us, and we just had a few days eating, drinking and having fun in Edinburgh. Originally there were separate Hen and Stag plans, but we both wanted to do the same things (Ghost Tours and climbing Arthur’s Seat) so just decided to combine them. It was also a lovely chance for everyone to catch up and meet up before the wedding. I think one of the things that is really important to both of us is that all our guests enjoy the day, and also that everyone there knows as many people as possible. K has done and I am doing a meal and drinks rather than a Hen do but will mean that some friends who don’t know each other will meet before the wedding, and we’ve got a big meal for family and friends the night before to look forward to as well

Had a stupid stupid near meltdown last night panicking about stuff. We have gotten so much sorted, and lots of it is personal to us but still getting caught up in details, and expectations, and what other people did. It’s so frustrating because I am generally not a worrier, and quite rational. We have both thought long and hard about what we wanted for the day, and I am confident that we have all the elements there, but I am still getting irrational flashes that say people will want/expect centrepieces, favours, confetti, group photos etc etc..all the stuff we have binned off! We both sat and racked our brains about the last wedding we went to and none of those details stuck with us (this despite the fact that I sat next to the bride at work for the entirety of her wedding planning and heard about it pretty much every day for 18 months).

So this morning just trying to breathe through and relax. There are still some bits to sort out and bills to pay. We’re making a list for the weekend to get all the last bits done. I’ve banked enough hours at work to take an extra day off before the wedding which will be a huge help, and I’m going to spend it baking and decorating which will be relaxing now that I have a full day to myself to do it. I know I will be nervous on the day but now more determined than ever to stick to the plan, keep it simple and accept help where it’s offered!

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,135 New bride

Ah you're so close, how exciting. Good on you for taking the extra day for some calm and quiet time to help you relax. You're right - can you really remember the little details at someone else's wedding? Do they matter, even if not to your taste? People will remember your amazing venue, your ceremony and the fun they have at the reception. They'll remember how individual your wedding is, and how beautiful you looked! "You do you" is my favourite wedding planning motto. Try and enjoy these last few days, it will be fabulous!

Ashley72 wrote (see post):

Ah you're so close, how exciting. Good on you for taking the extra day for some calm and quiet time to help you relax. You're right - can you really remember the little details at someone else's wedding? Do they matter, even if not to your taste? People will remember your amazing venue, your ceremony and the fun they have at the reception. They'll remember how individual your wedding is, and how beautiful you looked! "You do you" is my favourite wedding planning motto. Try and enjoy these last few days, it will be fabulous!

Thank you! Just catching up after a crazy day at work and this made me smile.

• Sorry to hear you're doubting your decisions but it sounds like just pre-wedding irrational worries. All the things you've binned off are stupid wastes of money, I've been to weddings with/without these things and I've either not really noticed them if they were there or not missed them if they weren't. Your wedding will be amazing and good on you for doing what you want, stick to your guns! 

Also love the sound of the joint hen, we got engaged on Arthur's seat so always a special place to me!