Forum home Your planning threads

Finally Marrying My Childhood Sweetheart

Hiya everyone, I'm new ish here and have loved looking at all the wedding planning threads and getting caught up with people's wedding plans. So I thought I'd join in the fun and use this place as somewhere to put all my thoughts, my plans and also gain you opinions on things, so here goes....

How We Met. 

As you've probably guessed from the title I met J at school. I had a bit of a rocky up bringing and ended up moving to a comepltly different area to live with my Dad at the age of 13. So just before the summer holidays I started at a new school (my Dad wanted me to find friends before we broke up for the summer). On the last day of school there was a concert and J played guitar in the school band, from then on I knew I had to find out who he was. Back in the days before FB it wasn't easy, but luckily the band had a myspace page which said what his MSN user name was. So weeks of talking to each other online and briefly bumping into each other over the summer holidays he finally asked me out just after we'd gone back to school. 13 years later here we are! 

13 Years Together.

So over the past 13 years me and J have stayed together and grown together. We finished school, J went to college to become a gas engineer and I went to uni to become a nurse. Throughout all of this we stayed strong and helped each other achieve our goals. Since then we've both concentrated on our careers and buying a house; which we were lucky enough to do in 2014. So after a few years of renovating it was time to think about the next stage..... Marriage!

• I'm Getting Married!

So here is where I should tell you all about the proposal and the ring.... But here's the funny thing I'm not engaged; but I am getting married haha. Bear with me and I'll explain.......

So for the last 3+ years me and J have spoken about getting married. It's much more of a bigger deal for me than J; but he knows I've always wanted to get married and don't want children until we are married. So we both knew that one day we would get married. J has never had a rush in him and it's something that the whole family joke about, he's so laid back he's almost horizontal 😂. So as we've got older more and more people around us have got married, had children and we've just been focusing on us (which I love) but after 13 years I was starting to get a bit impatient and fed up of the 'Oh it will be you next' at every wedding/engagment party etc. Did anyone else get that?! 

So J's older brother recently got married and all the way through I got the 'Oh don't worry it won't be long'  'it will be you next' etc and by the end of the night I was a little upset and had a heart to heart with my FMIL; who had a few to many and told me that J had started looking at rings and asked my Dad if he could ask me to marry him 😍 which was so exciting (I had no idea). 

Competition Time.

Throughout his brothers engagment I was entering wedding competions for them - you know the ones, like and share to win a sweet kart etc (his brother won the majority of his wedding through these believe it or not). So one day I was looking through FB at daft o'clock at night when I came across a 'win a wedding' competition and I thought sod it, I'll give it a go. I never ever expected to win it, but I thought why not give it a go. To enter all I had to do was email them our names and which venue (they had 4) we'd prefer. So I did it and never thought more about it tbh. Then one day on my way home from a night shift I got a phone call telling me we'd been picked for free venue hire at our chosen venue! I was SO excited but nervous at the same time, how do I tell J? What would he think? Would we like the venue? 

• Breaking The News.

So once home J instantly knew something was up, I was alittle nervous and grinning from ear to ear (this never happens after a night shift 😂). So I told him what had happened but I didn't want to pressure him, so I went to bed and asked him to have a think about how he felt. Safe to say I didn't sleep very well, I was so excited. 

Once up we spoke about it and to my surprise J was excited and up for going to meet the wedding planner and to look around the venue! I couldn't believe it, I was excited but couldn't tell anyone why. After about 12 hours 🙈 I crumbled and text my sister to tell her, she was super excited for us and loved looking at the photos I sent her of the venue. 

• Viewing The Venue.

So the next date me, J and the wedding planner could do was a week or so after we'd won. So that gave us a little while to think about things and see exactly how we both felt once the exciting had settled alittle. By the time we went to see the venue we were both so excited and knew that even if we didn't like the venue we would still be getting married; which really put me at ease, I didn't want to push J into making a decision before he was ready. 

Before we viewed the venue I wanted to get a feel for what's a normal price to pay for venue hire, food etc as I had no idea! I was alittle sceptical about the completion and was adamant there must be a catch somewhere. After researching alot of venues I was shocked at the cost and how quickly the cost can escalate (I come from a big family). So armed with a little bit of knowledge we went to view the venue with a list of questions and rough prices in my head. 

So off we went to view the venue and meet the wedding planner. Safe to say we both fell in love, even on a wet and dull day in August we loved it. There didn't seem to be any catches and the prices for food etc seemed in line with other venues of similar style. So we booked it there and then for September 2020! 🎉🎉🎉

• Picking Our Date.

We had spoken about what date we'd want to get married WAY before we won, so this was the easy part. We wanted the 13.09.20 as this will be our 15th anniversary. However the venue doesn't offer weddings on a Sunday, so we decided on the Monday after. 

Monday Wedding.

Weekday weddings seem to be becoming more popular and we wanted to be a little different. Me and J don't work Monday to Friday jobs and only plan on inviting immediate family and close fiends (who don't work Monday to Friday) so thought why not? J's brother recently got married on a Saturday it felt very rushed for people that worked all week, so we thought people can use the weekend to relax and get ready for wedding and then just use 2 days annual leave to come. We obviously haven't told many people yet, but the ones we have told love the idea and don't seem bothered about using flexi time or annual leave. We know it's a lot to ask of people, but we won't be offended if people decline. We've decided to send our save the dates out alittle earlier so people can plan things a little earlier. Did anyone else get married mid week? I'd be keen to hear how you got on? 

The other thing to consider with a weekday wedding is children having time off school. Obviously me and J don't have children but we have 4 nieces and 1 nephew that we would want to be at the wedding. We've spoken to their parents already and they are happy to attend. Other than that we don't plan on having any other children at the wedding. So it hasn't caused to much of an issue. 

A positive for choosing a weekday wedding is that we seem to be getting better quotes from photographers/florists/registrar etc so that's a bonus 😊 

• The Ring.

So seen as our story hasn't been the most conventional and I know our engagment is coming it's ment I can have a little input on my ring and also get measure (no awkward wait afterwards for it to be resized!). I've been really surprised it the types of rings J has picked out when we've been shopping,  he's drawn to very traditional solitaire rings. Whereas I tend to go for more unusual jewlery and love different shaped stones. 

Initially J was adamant he wanted to choose my ring with no input from me, but he spoke to his mum who said his Dad chose a ring she would never have picked and she never fell in love with it. Nice one FMIL haha. So we decided that I'd show him a few I like and he's ultimately have final say. I'm hoping for a white gold band, with an emerald cut diamond. I just love how the light catches the stones and it's still a classic cut just not your typical engament ring. 

Did anyone else have a say in their engagement ring? Or do you have an engagement ring you wouldn't have chosen but now love? It's such a big decision isn't it?! 

• We got married on a week day, and everyone we asked (albeit only 30 adults and 7 kids, nearly all immediate family) made it no problem (including flights and travel) apart from a couple who prob would have said no regardless. I also got a ring that I would never have chosen, but I absolutely fell in love with it anyway and wouldnt change it for the world now. He chose it all by himself and that means a lot. 

• Your story sounds lovely and so lucky to have won your venue! What kind of venue is it? 

• Samantha265 wrote (see post):

We got married on a week day, and everyone we asked (albeit only 30 adults and 7 kids, nearly all immediate family) made it no problem (including flights and travel) apart from a couple who prob would have said no regardless. I also got a ring that I would never have chosen, but I absolutely fell in love with it anyway and wouldnt change it for the world now. He chose it all by himself and that means a lot. 

Oh I'm so pleased you had no problem having a week day wedding! I did have a little wobble just after I paid the deposit, but I did manage to quickly talk myself round. I have a large family, so our rough quest list is around 70 people but they are all immediate family or very close friends. I just wish we could tell people. But we've agreed to not tell anyone until we are engaged (except his mum and my sister). Arrr I'm so pleased you have a ring that you love, we didn't realise just how much choice there is, your OH did so well to choose! X

• Mrs P 2019 wrote (see post):

Your story sounds lovely and so lucky to have won your venue! What kind of venue is it? 

We feel very lucky and I'm super greatful that it gave us both the kick up the bum we needed to actually get married 🙈. 

The venue is a lovely old barn that has been renovated and extended. It's about 20 minutes away from the city and 15 mins away from home; but you'd never know. It's surrounded by farming land and a fishing lake. I've attached a few photos (I hope haha) for you to have a look at 😊 x

imageimageimage

• The Waiting Game. 

So now its the waiting game for J to ask me to be his wife, it's such a funny feeling. I know I'm in the minority but did anyone else know what their OH had planned before they asked? My friend once saw a photo of an engagement ring on her OH phone before he'd asked her. She went crazy waiting for him to ask her 😂. Luckily I'm not to bad (I don't think) atm. The only thing I'm struggling with is not telling people, I just want to scream at everyone that were finally getting married! Luckily my sister, my best friend and his mum knows so I do have a few girls I can talk to about the wedding. Did anyone else find themselves obsessed with their wedding? Other people's weddings? Blogs/forums? I'm currently wedding obsessed 😂

• I am also wedding obsessed! I think I have purchased every single wedding magazine that had been published since I got engaged , I could probably have paid for another wedding with the money I have spent on them. I am not sure what I am going to read once the wedding is over!

Congratulations on winning a wedding!!! How exciting (not jealous at all - honest!).

I picked my own engagement ring - I don't wear jewellery so H2B had no clue what to get me. However, we had an appointment at a jewellers for the morning after we got engaged and we went together to pick it - they gave us lots of champagne and a million rings to try on - I was in heaven!

• Sian91Sian91 Posts: 829 New bride

I'm definitely wedding obsessed but didn't know about my own engagement at all, like jaw on the floor surprise. R had my ring from the same designer I'd showed him over a year before!

• Haha! I'm so glad it's not just me. I just love looking at everything wedding, I'm finding so many things I didn't think about to! 

We feel very lucky to have won venue hire, it's saved us around 4k which is amazing. 

Now that's my kind of shopping trip! Shopping for sparkly things and champagne 😍. I'm going to go read your thread but is that your ring in your photo? It's gorgeous? 

• Sian91 wrote (see post):

I'm definitely wedding obsessed but didn't know about my own engagement at all, like jaw on the floor surprise. R had my ring from the same designer I'd showed him over a year before!

It's so reassuring to know I'm not the only one haha. I'm scared to miss anything and these forums have mentioned things I'd have never have thought about. Oh wow! That's so romantic, boy did good to keep it a surprise 😊 

• BrideToBe140920 wrote (see post):
    Mrs P 2019 wrote (see post):

Your story sounds lovely and so lucky to have won your venue! What kind of venue is it? 

We feel very lucky and I'm super greatful that it gave us both the kick up the bum we needed to actually get married 🙈. 

The venue is a lovely old barn that has been renovated and extended. It's about 20 minutes away from the city and 15 mins away from home; but you'd never know. It's surrounded by farming land and a fishing lake. I've attached a few photos (I hope haha) for you to have a look at 😊 x

imageimageimage

Ohh it looks lovely :D

• Family Issues.... Already! 

So as you know it's not yet common knowledge that we are getting married yet I'm already stressing about family arguments, seating plans, upsetting people. Did anyone else find themselves like this so early on? Here's a very brief introduction into the crazy families of A and J.

A's Family.

So my parents had me and my younger sister and separated many many years ago (I was roughly around the age of 2 - So 25yrs ago) and have both stay amicable so I have no problems there. My mum then married my step dad about 20 years ago and had my brother (there is 10 years between us), my step dad and his family have been a huge part of my life and again no hard feelings between him and my Dad. Now my mum is about to marry her 3rd husband, me and my brother don't really know him and my brother isn't invited to the wedding; it is a super small wedding (as in just them 2 and 2 witnesses- I'm one of them), but this has left my S Dad feeling really annoyed even tho my brother doesn't care. Since my Mum and S Dad separated she's been very distant with me and my brother and barely sees us or make any effort. Now this doesn't overly bother me as we were never close and I stopped living with my mum at the age of 13. But my brother was only 15 when they separated and she was a stay at home mum so they were close. This has caused quiet alot of bad feelings from my S Dad however I trust him to behave on our wedding day. Some of you may be wondering where my sister is in all of this? Well her and my mum haven't spoken in around 9 years, like not at all. They fell out over something so small years ago that no-one could tell you what it was but they never made up. Since then my sister has had a baby and my mum never once made an effort to get in touch. Me and my sister have lived with my Dad and his mum has been our female role model and she's amazing. But I know it will get her back up if my mum did anything to upset me or my sister, but I know she'd be okay if my mum behaved. I'd like to think everyone would be civil but I don't want people to feel on edge at the wedding/hen dos etc. It's so difficult! 

J's Family

Now we move onto Js family... slightly less long winded than mine you'll be pleased to know 😂. So both his parents have separated and 're married. His mum is gorgeous and couldn't do enough for us, her and her husband are really involved in our lives and tbh his mum has been more of a mum to me than my own. However the trouble is on his dad's side, so his dad had an affair with his now wife about 14 years ago and that's what ended J's parents marriage. His dad's new wife hasn't really mixed well into the family and has caused alot of arguments, she is very focused on her children and grandchildren and not so much on his. J is the youngest of 3 boys and none of them are particularly close to their dad. The middle brother and his partner can not stand the new wife to the point where they nearly didn't attend the older brothers wedding - they didn't attend stag or hen dos because they came. In the last 4 years I've probably seen J's dad 3 times (2 of those times was recently and to do with the wedding). Me and J would be quiet happy not inviting them but his mum has said that's not really an option and I know she's right but it's hard! But that's whats causing us so much stress already.

Does anyone else have difficult family dynamics? Anyone got any tips on defusing situation before the big day? 

• I feel your pain!

My parents split up a couple of years ago (nearly 3 now) when my dad left my mum for someone else. I have no idea how they got together in the first place as they were so badly matched but for some reason it was a huge shock to my mum  that things weren't pefect and my dad behaved very badly about it, so it's been pretty horrible. My mum is coping better than she was, but still very restful and can't be in the same room as him. My dad is super happy and although I hate to admit it this relationship suits him much better, I reckon they'll get married in the not too distant future. It will have been 3 and a half years by our wedding and everyone has very different opinions about whether I should invite my dad's girlfriend or not. For my mum's sake I don't want to but I do also know she's gonna be around for a long time and my dad isn't going to have many people there that will actually talk to him (my mum's family is HUGE). So I have no idea what to do and am at the moment just waiting to see how people feel nearer the time; if my mum has a partner by then it might change things so I've spoken to all involved parties and explained this.

As regards the way they/ everyone on either side of the family behaves, I've sent the message out that I expect people to be adult about it and civil, no arguing or rudeness, but that they don't have to be best friends and sit together either. I just hope people can hold it together for a day!

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,957 New bride

I have a very large and complicated family, and also feel your pain - but it can be made easier! Sorry, this is a bit long!

So my dad is on his third marriage. My mum has been married SIX times, and is currently separated and single. My parents get on fine and are civil - unless my stepmum is there, then my dad is not allowed to speak to my mum at all. It's ridiculous, but not going to change so hey ho.

I have 13 full/step/half siblings from various relationships and marriages - and they don't all get on either. 2 stepsisters I've never met as they live abroad so not invited, and 2 of my half siblings I choose to have no relationship with (long story - they are evil) so they are not invited either. 1 step sibling I just don't see, for no real reason - but she isn't invited either. My half sister on my mum's side and half brother on my dad's side also don't get on but have been told to behave for the day or not bother coming.

When my brother married, they insisted on a traditional top table - I had to sit between my dad/stepmum and my mum and it was unbelievably awkward, so I refuse to do the same. My youngest half sister also didn't attend as she has severe social anxiety, and won't go to things unless she can sit with my dad and stepmum, which my brother wouldn't allow.

My mum and MIL are very emotionally invested in the idea of sitting on a 'top table' but we aren't really having one - unbeknownst to them! Our venue has long tables, so there will be one T shaped table that me, h2b, mum, MIL & FIL and one best man and his family, and one bridesmaid and her family will sit on. then directly next to it will be a long I shaped table with my dad, stepmum, their family, another bridesmaid and her husband who my dad knows well, and the other 2 best men and their families.

I checked with my dad and he would much prefer to sit with his family and be comfortable than sit in awkwardness on the same table as me. In practical terms, as me and H2B will sit at the head of one table and he will be at the head of the table next to us, he will be about 3 feet away from me. but everyone will be sat with people they are comfortable with.

The good news is that my family do tend to just politely ignore each other at events, and it's been made clear I expect the same at my wedding.

So basically, 2 decisions have made it much easier: 1) We are only inviting people we have close relationships with - being related doesn't guarantee an invite! and 2) scrap the traditional top table and life gets a lot less awkward :)

Friends of ours also have warring divorced parents and they had all round tables at their wedding - they sat on the centre table with best men and bridesmaids and then each of their parents hosted a separate table.

Luckily my OH's family are small, close and all get on like a house on fire - phew!

• I'm sorry about the weird family dynamics you have to deal with.  Honestly, if it makes you feel any better, I don't think there's a soul on this entire forum that doesn't have this to some degree!  My only suggestion is to be an level-headed and mature about it as possible and don't make someone else's battle your own.  If people start to get snarky, my response would be "I'm asking you to be mature for one day.  ONE DAY."  Sometimes it helps to put people in check when they think about how silly they are being.

Your venue is SOOO beautiful and I can't even believe you won it! You want to talk about wedding obsessed, I think I've at least speed-read, and in some cases re-read, every wedding report on this forum going back several years  I'd add I don't remember any other brides winning much of anything in all of those years!

• Cecilia13 wrote (see post):

I feel your pain!

My parents split up a couple of years ago (nearly 3 now) when my dad left my mum for someone else. I have no idea how they got together in the first place as they were so badly matched but for some reason it was a huge shock to my mum  that things weren't pefect and my dad behaved very badly about it, so it's been pretty horrible. My mum is coping better than she was, but still very restful and can't be in the same room as him. My dad is super happy and although I hate to admit it this relationship suits him much better, I reckon they'll get married in the not too distant future. It will have been 3 and a half years by our wedding and everyone has very different opinions about whether I should invite my dad's girlfriend or not. For my mum's sake I don't want to but I do also know she's gonna be around for a long time and my dad isn't going to have many people there that will actually talk to him (my mum's family is HUGE). So I have no idea what to do and am at the moment just waiting to see how people feel nearer the time; if my mum has a partner by then it might change things so I've spoken to all involved parties and explained this.

As regards the way they/ everyone on either side of the family behaves, I've sent the message out that I expect people to be adult about it and civil, no arguing or rudeness, but that they don't have to be best friends and sit together either. I just hope people can hold it together for a day!

Oh gosh that's also a hard one isn't it? It must be hard when one person has moved on and the other isn't as happy or ready to move on. In that respect I'm fortunate in that everyone has moved on and are either happier single or have new partners. It's just so hard isn't it? I did offer J to elope (even tho we won our venue) because of it all, but he's adamant he wants your typical UK wedding surrounded by friends and family.

I hope you manage to keep everyone happy and I'm sure everyone will behave themselves  

• MrsCToBee wrote (see post):

I have a very large and complicated family, and also feel your pain - but it can be made easier! Sorry, this is a bit long!

So my dad is on his third marriage. My mum has been married SIX times, and is currently separated and single. My parents get on fine and are civil - unless my stepmum is there, then my dad is not allowed to speak to my mum at all. It's ridiculous, but not going to change so hey ho.

I have 13 full/step/half siblings from various relationships and marriages - and they don't all get on either. 2 stepsisters I've never met as they live abroad so not invited, and 2 of my half siblings I choose to have no relationship with (long story - they are evil) so they are not invited either. 1 step sibling I just don't see, for no real reason - but she isn't invited either. My half sister on my mum's side and half brother on my dad's side also don't get on but have been told to behave for the day or not bother coming.

When my brother married, they insisted on a traditional top table - I had to sit between my dad/stepmum and my mum and it was unbelievably awkward, so I refuse to do the same. My youngest half sister also didn't attend as she has severe social anxiety, and won't go to things unless she can sit with my dad and stepmum, which my brother wouldn't allow.

My mum and MIL are very emotionally invested in the idea of sitting on a 'top table' but we aren't really having one - unbeknownst to them! Our venue has long tables, so there will be one T shaped table that me, h2b, mum, MIL & FIL and one best man and his family, and one bridesmaid and her family will sit on. then directly next to it will be a long I shaped table with my dad, stepmum, their family, another bridesmaid and her husband who my dad knows well, and the other 2 best men and their families.

I checked with my dad and he would much prefer to sit with his family and be comfortable than sit in awkwardness on the same table as me. In practical terms, as me and H2B will sit at the head of one table and he will be at the head of the table next to us, he will be about 3 feet away from me. but everyone will be sat with people they are comfortable with.

The good news is that my family do tend to just politely ignore each other at events, and it's been made clear I expect the same at my wedding.

So basically, 2 decisions have made it much easier: 1) We are only inviting people we have close relationships with - being related doesn't guarantee an invite! and 2) scrap the traditional top table and life gets a lot less awkward :)

Friends of ours also have warring divorced parents and they had all round tables at their wedding - they sat on the centre table with best men and bridesmaids and then each of their parents hosted a separate table.

Luckily my OH's family are small, close and all get on like a house on fire - phew!

Wow you have a huge family and can see how that can cause headaches when organising things. It sounds like you've absolutely done the right thing and you've stayed very level headed with it all... I hoping to do the same. 

I've already spoken to our wedding planner who suggested that parents host tables and I love that idea, not something I'd heard of before. But it will work well for us. We've decided to put our top table in the middle with me, J, MOH and BM on then the rest of the tables will be in like a semi circle around us. So noones 'pushed to the back' (previous weddings I've attended people have complained about th

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,957 New bride

That sounds like a sensible compromise. I was a bridesmaid at a recent wedding, and me and 1 other bridesmaid were sat right at the back while the other was at the front - we didn't say anything, but we were secretly a little bit offended!

• Sian91Sian91 Posts: 829 New bride

I knew I recognised your venue photos and it’s just clicked where you’re getting married We’re only in Derby but I went to Uni in Nottingham (: 

• KittyFiennes wrote (see post):

I'm sorry about the weird family dynamics you have to deal with.  Honestly, if it makes you feel any better, I don't think there's a soul on this entire forum that doesn't have this to some degree!  My only suggestion is to be an level-headed and mature about it as possible and don't make someone else's battle your own.  If people start to get snarky, my response would be "I'm asking you to be mature for one day.  ONE DAY."  Sometimes it helps to put people in check when they think about how silly they are being.

Your venue is SOOO beautiful and I can't even believe you won it! You want to talk about wedding obsessed, I think I've at least speed-read, and in some cases re-read, every wedding report on this forum going back several years  I'd add I don't remember any other brides winning much of anything in all of those years!

Exactly lovely. I've had to go to event where there are people there I don't particularly like we just need to be civil. We will try our best to make it easier for everyone but it can't always be helped. We feel SO lucky to have won it! Haha I've gone back quiet far to, usually at night when I can't switch off haha. We're only a month in and I don't know what I'll do with myself once were wed haha

• MrsCToBee wrote (see post):

That sounds like a sensible compromise. I was a bridesmaid at a recent wedding, and me and 1 other bridesmaid were sat right at the back while the other was at the front - we didn't say anything, but we were secretly a little bit offended!

We had this a J's brothers wedding. J and his brother were ushers but sat at the back of the room, it didn't particularly bother us but J's mum didn't like the boys at the back while friends were sat closer to the top table. It's so hard to please everyone, but we've been to quiet a few weddings now so can see what we thought worked and what didn't work quiet so well

• Ekkk! It's Happened! 

I am SO EXCITED to be able to post this, it's official were engaged 🎉

The Proposal.

So Thursday 13th was mine and J's anniversary after being together for 13 years. All week J had been priming me to now get my hopes up as he wouldn't be proposing due to money and that he'd always known how and when he was going to pop he question and he wasn't in a position to do it just yet and to just be patient (13 years not patient enough? Hahaha!). J did genuinely seem quiet stressed and upset that he wasn't able to ask me so we agreed to stop talking about the wedding for a few days and just enjoy some us time and the fact that we've survived 13 years together 😊. 

Anyway on Wednesday night Jon came home and said cancel yours plans for tomorrow & Friday and be ready tomorrow morning with an over night bag. For us this was a big deal I'm a control freak and J usually just leaves me to organise holidays etc. So I was very surprised. Thursday morning came and I'd packed everything but the kitchen sink, I went to help J load the car but it was locked and someone had blocked our drive, me being me I went stomping back into the house to tell J he'd locked the car and some inconsiderate so and so had blocked our drive (it's one of my pet hates after living by a school for years). J just burst out laughing at me and took my case outside, he walked past our car and to the one blocking our drive and popped it in the boot. He'd only gone and hired us a beautiful band new Mercedes to travel in 😍 I'm sure that was more a treat for him 😂 but hay I don't mind! Once I'd got over the shock of it we set off in style 😊

We drove for what seemed like forever (almost 5 hours) and we finally arrived in my favorite city............ Edinburgh 😍😍😍. Now all the way I'm getting SUPER excited and hoping that he might ask me the important question but throughout J was telling me not to get my hopes up and just enjoy it for what it is. So I squashed it and thought I'd just roll with it. 

Once in Edinburgh we checked into the Radisson Blu, oh my it was beautiful and the swankiest hotel I'd ever stayed in. It was also right on the Royal Mile in the Old Town (my favorite part of my favorite city), serious brownie points! 

J then told me we were going for dinner at a beautiful restaurant right by the castle and to get ready. I was seriously impressed we usually spend hours deciding where to eat. 

He'd booled us a table at the Whichery by the Castle; which is a beautiful restaurant that's right in the middle of Edinburgh but you feel a million miles away from a busy city. The service and food was exceptional. I left feeling extremely lucky and surprisingly I wasn't thinking about if J would ask me, I left just in complete shock that the man who never organises anything had done all of this! And maybe I should let him plan more things

We left the restaurant and decides we'd go get into comfortable shoes (heels and cobbles aren't a good combo) and go for a walk about the city. Jon seemedto have a plan of where to go, so I was happy to let him lead seen as he'd done a great job so far. We ended up walking up quiet a big hill (definetly glad I had appropriate shoes and clothing on). Once we had a good view of the city we decided to stop and soak it all in, took the typical tourist photos and thought we'd make a start on making our way home. But just before we could J took my hand, dropped to one knee (in the mood) and asked me to marry him! I was SO shocked, because he'd genuinely seemed upset that he wasn't

• Sian91 wrote (see post):

I knew I recognised your venue photos and it’s just clicked where you’re getting married We’re only in Derby but I went to Uni in Nottingham (: 

Omg such a small world! Have you been to a wedding there before? I'm the other way round I went to uni in Derby but live in Nottinghamshire haha 

• The Proposal Continued....

Why does it not tell you you've written to much?! Anyway here's the rest ofthe story.....

I was SO shocked, because he'd genuinely seemed upset that he wasn't able to ask me and he really laid it on thick that he wouldn't be asking me and to not let it ruin our trip when he didn't ask. Safe to say I floated down that hill and back to our hotel a very VERY happy woman. 

It was perfect and so us, Edinburgh holds alot of special memories for us and he'd made me feel so special. We then spent the rest of our time in Edinburgh in our own little bubble and didn't tell anyone our news straight away we just enjoyed our time together.

On our car journey home we made the calls to family and loved being able to share our news. After a weekend of visiting family we finally made it FB official... my gosh my phone went crazy! I'm SO happy we waiting, my phone being so busy on holiday would have driven me crazy! It was lovely to see so many people happy for us tho 😁