Winter Wedding 2019

After many hours reading through other threads I’ve finally decided to make one of my own! Our wedding is not yet booked but we’re hoping to have it in December 2019! 

• How we met:

Both our mums are friends with each other so we’ve actually known each other all our lives. We met quite a few times when we were young (he is one year older than me and came to visit in hospital when I was born with his mum) but as we got older we didn’t see each other/ really know each other. As our mums were friends they arranged for us all to go on holiday together to Turkey for 4 weeks, this was over 5 years ago now.  

Before going on holiday I did actually hope that something would happen between us and it turns out he did too. We were getting on really well together on holiday and after about a week we decided to make it official.

This was my last summer before uni and once we got back off holiday I was moving  3 hours away to uni. This was really hard (made harder by the fact we had just spent 4 weeks together) and for 3 years we travelled back and forth to see each other. Thankfully that is now over and we now live together with our 2 cats.

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,454 New bride

Yay, love a new planning thread :)

• Woo!! Welcome to Y&YW, cant wait to read all about it!

• The Proposal:

For months now I have been hinting at him proposing. So many people we know have been getting engaged/ married and I wanted that too. I was actually starting to think it would never happen. 

We started briefly talking about rings. I told him I wanted him to choose and I didn’t want any input. He actually measured my finger a couple of months before the engagement but kept telling me he wouldn’t be proposing any time soon. 

On the 31st August we went on holiday to Italy (Rome and Venice) and I hoped that he would propose on holiday but I didn’t think he had the ring. As a few days went on I was even more convinced he didn’t have a ring as I was unsure where he would be hiding it. 

On our 5th day of the holiday and our last day in Rome he proposed. We started the day by visiting the castle which was probably one of our favourite things to do in Rome, we had some lovely drinks overlooking the Vatican halfway up the castle. Before going for tea he suggested going for cocktails at a rooftop bar overlooking the Spanish steps which I really wanted to do a couple of days before but we didn’t have time. The drinks were lovely and so was the view (I had no idea he was going to propose). 

We’d already decided we would be getting pasta from a takeaway restaurant near the Colosseum for tea and we were going to eat it overlooking the Colosseum whilst it was lit up at night. We sat there for a couple of hours eating our tea and talking. 

He was asking me questions about where I wanted to visit next etc. He said he had 2 more questions for me and at this point I was very nervous because I sort of knew what was coming. The last question was what I expected, he got down on one knee and asked me to marry him infront of the Colosseum. I was speechless, I was so happy and of course I said yes! 

I love the ring so much and couldn’t have chosen a better one myself. The next day we went to Venice and celebrated our engagement there. Unfortunately the ring was a couple of sizes too big which meant for the rest of the holiday I couldn’t wear it and had to wait to swap it when we got home. I now have it in the right size and I love it so much! 

imageimage

Oh how lovely & romantic! In the last few years we've been to Paris, Verona, Florence, Venice, Rome, Lake Garda, Stockholm, Turkey....and my OH proposed in our living room!

• MrsCToBee wrote (see post):

Oh how lovely & romantic! In the last few years we've been to Paris, Verona, Florence, Venice, Rome, Lake Garda, Stockholm, Turkey....and my OH proposed in our living room!

I know it was perfect! Haha oh no, with everywhere you’ve visited aswell! Ive just started reading your thread. So many lovely ideas. 

• The location: 

We originally wanted to get married abroad, we had both decided this and I’d felt that way for years! I looked at weddings abroad but then we both realised it would be hard for some of our families to attend. I wanted my grandad to be there but due to health issues he would not be able to travel abroad, it is hard for him to get out of the house now so it turns out wherever I have my wedding he will not be able to attend which is really upsetting (I wanted him to walk me down the aisle with my dad). After reading everyone’s planning threads I’ve seen some lovely ideas of having a charm attached to my bouquet which I think I will do. 

By this point we had decided the wedding would be in the Lake District. After researching I realised I no longer wanted my wedding abroad anyway as I want to create decorations, have a trial for hair and make up, go cake tasteing etc and this would be a lot harder if the wedding was abroad. The Lake District it is.

Once we had decided on the Lake District we both decided it would be lovely to have a Christmas/ winter wedding. Christmas is my favourite time of year and FH loves the snow. Another bonus to a Christmas wedding is that we will be able to go to New York for our honeymoon, somewhere we both really want to go and would love to visit at Christmas time.

• The venue:

I started looking at venues straight away (I’ve become obsessed with wedding planning). There was one venue that really caught my eye, the scenery looks amazing, there is an outside gazebo with fairy lights on it and there are photos of the venue at Christmas time and it just seems to be everything I wanted. I showed FH and he also really liked it. After finding this venue every other one I have seen has not compared.

The only downside to the venue is that the rooms are quite pricey at £170-210 (with discount for guests) for a double room per night. I know our families will come but I’m slightly worried some people won’t as it’s already an hour and a half away from where we live and further for some guests. 

Our venue is called the Inn on the Lake and I have attached some photos below, from the photos it is literally perfect. They do a package for 50 guests and we are thinking of inviting 50-60 people. We will invite people to both the day and evening reception as it quite far for people to travel and I feel it would be unfair to only invite them to the evening party. The package includes; room hire for the day and evening reception, 4 course wedding breakfast, lights on the gazebo, 2 glasses of wine with the meal and a glass to toast with, an evening buffet, evening disco and a room for the bride and groom to stay on the night of the wedding. This all seems great value and sounds really good, this package doesn’t include Saturdays so we need to ask the venue about this when we visit. I’m guessing it will just cost extra for a Saturday? Now it’s time to save. 

We are going to visit the venue on the 27th October and I just hope there is still availability for the weekends of December 2019 (at the moment there is). We would ideally like the wedding on a Saturday and there’s only 1 Saturday available which is slightly worrying. It will be a small wedding with only family and close friends so I know most people would still come/ book the day off (well I hope). I’ve also messaged the registrar to confirm availability (although this could change within the next 6 weeks) but at present the registrar and the venue have all the same dates available. 

I asked FH if he wanted to view any other venues whilst we were in the Lake District but he said there is no point because I already have my heart set on the Inn on the Lake hahaha and that he really likes it aswell. It’s so true and I really hope it matches our expectations.

imageimageimageimage

• Such a beautiful venue, it's going to look even more fab should you have snow on your wedding day!  I wanted a winter (or even fall) wedding so badly, but as my OH travels extensively those times of year for work, this was out of the question, unless I didn't care whether the groom was there or not!  I hope when you visit, it's everything you want it to be.

Looking forward to reading about your other plans!

• Colour scheme

Our colour scheme is blue/grey with a rustic feel. I’ve posted some examples of the colours below. We definitely wanted it to be a wintery feel but not too Christmassy as the venue will have all the Christmas decorations up (I will have the DJ playing a lot of Christmas songs though). I think these colours fit well. 

L is choosing his own suit and I have no input, other than knowing it will be either blue or grey. I know that he wants a checkered suit (which could change) and I really like the checkered suits but I just hope he doesn’t choose something too out there.

imageimage

• Ive also been searching Pinterest ALOT and here are some of the ideas I have for a rustic theme 

imageimageimageimage

• KittyFiennes wrote (see post):

Such a beautiful venue, it's going to look even more fab should you have snow on your wedding day!  I wanted a winter (or even fall) wedding so badly, but as my OH travels extensively those times of year for work, this was out of the question, unless I didn't care whether the groom was there or not!  I hope when you visit, it's everything you want it to be.

Looking forward to reading about your other plans!

Thank you, I just hope I don’t get there and hate it because I’ve not seen anything else I like nearly as much but I dont think that will happen! Oh no I think it will be amazing no matter what time of the year though! 

• Maid of Honour

Ive not been able to post a lot recently as we are still waiting to view the venue that we love. But I did ask my sister to be my maid of honour and she said yes! I got her a yankee candle, some lush bath bombs and chocolates. Next I need to ask my bridesmaid/ bridesmaids. 

• SadieeeSadieee Posts: 1,781 New bride

Considering I am only a few minutes drive from the lake district and am also having a winter wedding I am surprised I missed your board!

I have been to that venue, it's lovely :)

• Update

At the moment I don’t have alot to say about the wedding as we are still waiting to view our venue. We’re now going to see the venue on 13th Oct which is 2 weeks earlier than previously planned so that’s exciting! 

We’ve ordered some sample save the dates and think we have found the design we will use so hopefully we love it! 

I’ve been looking at videographers but finding it hard to decide on one as they don’t all send out a full wedding video (which is understandable) but I’d like to see how different videographers put the videos together.

If we like the venue we will most likely book it on the day so can then start booking other things. We’re thinking 1st Dec 2019. 

• MrsGtoBMrsGtoB Posts: 712 New bride

Loving your ideas as a fellow winter bride :-)

Can't wait to read more x

• The Inn on the Lake

Yesterday we went to view a venue. We fell in love with it from the photos and hadn’t arranged to see any other venues. It was amazing in person and even better than I imagined, L loved it too. We put in a provisional booking for 1st December 2019 and have 2 weeks to pay the deposit (just need to book the registrar first). I couldn’t really take any photos of the inside as there was a wedding going on and they were setting everything up. 

On the day they will set up for an outside wedding (not sure about this as even if it’s not raining December is so cold) and an indoor wedding in case of rain. Now we just need to decide if we will go for the package or pay for everything seperate as we would prefer to choose our own meal choices etc.

imageimage

Looks stunning!

• Update

Yesterday we booked the registrar and the venue. I can’t believe it’s actually official. The 1st December 2019 we get married at this amazing venue! 

• Congratulations!! Thats so exciting!! <3

• MrsS85MrsS85 Posts: 688 New bride

Congratulations on booking your wedding!  inn on the lake is such a lovely setting.

• imageimage

Weve got the wax seals for the save the dates and there so cute! Half our envelopes are black and the other half gold 💖💖 The save the dates should be here by next Monday as it takes longer to print with foil, so can’t wait for them to arrive! 

This was our first attempt at doing the wax seal aha! It does say wedding with the bride and groom but in the lighting it’s hard to see.

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,137 New bride

Congratulations on setting a date and securing your venue!! It’s stunning, come rain or shine your photos are going to be incredible. I love your colour scheme too we are doing something similar! X

• Ashley72 wrote (see post):

Congratulations on setting a date and securing your venue!! It’s stunning, come rain or shine your photos are going to be incredible. I love your colour scheme too we are doing something similar! X

Thank you!! I can’t wait, we love the venue but still undecided if we would have it outside if it didn’t rain. We have a long time to decide though 😆😆

The person making our save the dates sent us this today asking which colour envelopes we would like. We love how they look and have gone for black and gold to match our wax seals. Can’t wait to recieve them. It’s a laminated foil print. 

• Ooh how exciting, love the save the dates and your venue is stunning. We are also thinking Autumn/Winter 2019  and I have my eye on a venue in the Lake District although we’re looking more local to us first. 

• imageimage

The save the dates have arrived and we actually love them! The gold writing and the stars are foil. They are so much better than I imagined!! Can’t wait to send them out.

• OmRumOmRum Posts: 605 New bride

The seals are a lovely touch. We used seals for the formal invitations (red heart seals, available in Hobbycraft) and they got a lot of lovely comments. Most people said it was a shame to open the envelopes! One person asked if it was because we were Game of Thrones fans... which was odd. The save the dates are very nice.

• OmRum wrote (see post):

The seals are a lovely touch. We used seals for the formal invitations (red heart seals, available in Hobbycraft) and they got a lot of lovely comments. Most people said it was a shame to open the envelopes! One person asked if it was because we were Game of Thrones fans... which was odd. The save the dates are very nice.

There lovely aren’t they! L has always wanted to use them for our wedding since we first got together and I think they look so good! If you sent any in the post did you use standard postage as I’ve read they can get ruined in the post and to send them inside another envelope? 

• Zara29Zara29 Posts: 105

Beautiful stationary!