Winter Wonderful - Dec 2019 (the higgledy piggledy thread edited!)

• Been looking in fabric shops with the MIL today as she is going to make table runners to go over the table cloths, she’s collected lots of samples already literally any of which I’d be happy with, this not being an aspect of the wedding I have strong opinions on, but we still had to visit 4 different shops today, one of which turned out to be closed, and yet we still haven’t committed to a fabric. I’m trying to be pleased she’s interested and not scream that I genuinely don’t care which one we choose or whether we have table runners at all, I must not be so ungrateful! 

Also in the garden centre picked up some half price stuff that I’m not quite sure how we’ll use but I’m sure we will ... 
  • Also got these for £2 for favours for our littlest guests 

• Just popping on because I’ve not been around much. Nothing much to update really.

Think we’re going with the DJ recommended by the venue, I really wanted a band but it just isn’t in the budget. Starting to put some tentative feelers out about my hen do, I fancied going abroad but I can’t really ask people to shell out that much, particularly as it has to be in school holidays. My MOH and I have been talking about a long weekend/week away anyway so we’re calling that a ‘secret bonus hen do’. But the main thing I’m thinking a night away somewhere in the uk - I fancy york but might need to be more central, and then a local night out for those who don’t want to/ can’t go away overnight.

Its under a year now so it’s just occurred to me that we need to sort our appointment to give notice, that’s my next job. 
  • Well now, posting the above just jogged my memory to check the Monsoon Estella ‘Safire’ dresses I’ve had my eye on, and sure enough they’re half price and the only sizes left were the two we’re going to need (I think anyway) so I’ve snapped them up for £30 each, hopefully they’ll fit come December but if it doesn’t look like its going to work I’ll ebay them nearer the time. 

https://uk.monsoon.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/mon_3,mon_3.3,mon_3.3.3/5153231937

12 year old niece is currently super underwhelmed with the idea of being a bridesmaid so I’m leaving her for now, if she decides she does want to do it nearer the time I’ll have to work out something for her to wear then. 
  • The dresses are lovely! What a good price too, it’s great that they still had the sizes you need
  • cs2thecoxcs2thecox Posts: 260 New bride
    Well done on the bargain dresses - so pretty!
    I feel your pain on the tween bridesmaid. Mine (niece, will be nearly 12 by the wedding) is currently enthusiastic but has no idea what direction she wants to go in with a dress. My sister (her mum) is adamant it should be a little-girl type dress, but I know that my niece could well think totally differently in a few months time. I'm going to wait until literally 2 months before and hope for the best. She's also growing SO fast, so anything I bought now would probably be way too short by June...
    My bridesmaids aren't going to match though. I've got 2 adults who are wearing dresses they already have, the 11 year old and a nearly-3 year old. As long as they coordinate and are happy, then I'll be happy.
  • Don’t congratulate me too soon, my little bridesmaids mum (my niece) laughed at me and said ‘B is already in an age 4-5 and that’s without the year of growing between now and Dec’ so they’re probably going to have to go back! I’m going to get them to try them on at least, but if they fit now they’re going to be too small come December so I’ll have to send them back and look again nearer the time. 

cs2 - my tween’s mum is desperate for her to do it but I’d just rather she be happy/comfortable. I don’t care what she wears if she does decide to ‘be a bridesmaid’ really, like you say as long as it’s vaguely inkeeping. 

Weve bought a load of organza - some in a sort of dull silver and some in a white with silver pattern, for table runners and Im not sure what else - bound to find some use for it! It was reduced at the garden centre. 
  • MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,907 New bride
    Just popping on because I’ve not been around much. Nothing much to update really.

Think we’re going with the DJ recommended by the venue, I really wanted a band but it just isn’t in the budget. Starting to put some tentative feelers out about my hen do, I fancied going abroad but I can’t really ask people to shell out that much, particularly as it has to be in school holidays. My MOH and I have been talking about a long weekend/week away anyway so we’re calling that a ‘secret bonus hen do’. But the main thing I’m thinking a night away somewhere in the uk - I fancy york but might need to be more central, and then a local night out for those who don’t want to/ can’t go away overnight.

Its under a year now so it’s just occurred to me that we need to sort our appointment to give notice, that’s my next job. 

I'm having a secret hen - I want to go abroad but just with my 2 bridesmaids and SIL - so we are just calling it our girl's holiday!! My mum and some of OH's family would be upset at not being invited but mum physically can't walk far and I don't like going away in big groups. Having a 1 day UK hen so no one knows!!
  • MrsA-NToBeMrsA-NToBe Posts: 205 New bride
    I had the biggest catch up on your thread and the story of how you got together made me really emotional! R sounds like a gooden! 
    Your little bridesmaid dresses are absolutely gorgeous and perfect for a winter wedding, made me want some little bridesmaids! Hopefully they come up big so that they still fit come December! 
  • Ahh thanks Mrs A-N to be! I’ve not actually managed to see the girls yet to get them to try them, but am taking them tomorrow but am expecting to have to send them back sadly. 

MrsCToBee - Secret, not really a hen hen dos are the way forward, mine is coming together nicely, I booked flights to Barcelona for August my best mate and I, then mentioned it to my hen group in a ‘this isn’t really the hen do but I thought I’d mention it’s happening and anyone who wants to get involved is very welcome to come but it’s absolutely not expected and there’s no pressure’ type way, both my sisters and three of my (adult) nieces are definitely coming, my other bridesmaid is going to try but I think it will be difficult childcare wise for her, and the people who were all making me a bit anxious at the thought of trying to force all together for a weekend or so have all said they can’t make it which is totally fine, so I can just have a night out nearer the time with them and it’s far less pressure and lower key, and Barcelona is more of a family affair where we’re all pretty used to each other and happy to do our own thing or do stuff together as the mood takes us.

I’m getting my hair done tomorrow and there’s a bridal shop next to the salon so I’ve made an appointment there too. I feel a bit underwhelmed and ‘meh’ at the thought, I’ve absolutely no idea what I want and whether I even want a proper ‘wedding dress’ but maybe trying some on will help me have a clearer idea. 
  • Well, I’m on the verge of saying yes to a dress. 

So so my sister and I went to the dress shop near my hairdressers, Pearl Bridal Boutique in Sale, and they currently have a sample sale on. I tried a few different styles on, a few very clear ’no way’s and a couple that surprised me how much I did like them but for one reason or another weren’t quite right. The second one I tried I loved, and I asked to try it on again at the end. It’s a White Rose Bridal dress, a sample but it has hardly been tried on and has been reduced from over a grand to £500 - which includes a professional clean and any repairs needed although it doesn’t really need anything. 

It doesnt quite fit, though the ladies assured me that if I didn’t lose a pound they would be able to let it out enough to get it to fit. I am planning on losing some though (arent I always?!) and think it would only take a stone or so to get it to fit. I mean I’d love to drop 4 dress sizes but I refuse to put myself under that kind of pressure, and I think the dress looks great without need for any drastic losses. 

This is she (excuse greasy pre hairdresser hair) .....

Then when I tried it on a second time we played about with maybe adding sleeves or extending the straps a bit, and changing the neckline to a sweetheart. And of course I had to try a veil...

• I’m now sat in the hairdressers wondering whether I should bite the bullet or whether it’s too soon and I might find something I like more - but will I? And if I do will it be such a good price? Hmmm.

My best mate is going to meet me after for a quick look at it, the ladies in the shop really kindly said I could try it on again. 
    edited 19 January
    I love it, especially with the second straps!
    I only tried on 4 dresses, the one I chose had everything I had always wanted and was a great price, also in a sample sale. This was last April and I haven't regretted it once - you just have to stop looking once you commit.
  • MrsCarnegieMrsCarnegie Posts: 499 New bride
    Absolutely beautiful. Love the second set of pics, the veil look great with it. I'm not having a traditional dress, but I echo what @MrsCToBee said, once you have chosen, just stop looking xxx 
    If you still love it after you've had your hair done, do it do it do it :)

I think it's really pretty!
  • It’s absolutely beautiful and it’s such a good price too! If you love it then go for it, you don’t want to regret not buying it. Like MrsCToBee said, just stop looking after you’ve committed to it.
  • CharleahCharleah Posts: 248 New bride
    If it made you say wow and you felt like a bride then go for it! I’ve been watching too much say yes to the dress...
  • Cecilia13Cecilia13 Posts: 512 New bride
    It looks beautiful, and I tried on precisely one dress and bought it! And then my evening dress I ordered online without even trying it. And I love both of them so much.. if you love it I'd just go for it! But then there is an aspect of missing out on some of the shopping experience, and I'm sure that can be really lovely with friends, and there are so many beautiful dresses so I understand not necessarily wanting to make a decision too quickly! 
  • CavalierBrideCavalierBride Posts: 302 New bride
    edited 20 January
    Well my hair took bloody ages and was late starting anyway so I had to run out of there with only half a blow dry before the shop closed but here are some better pics, albeit with me pulling strange faces. Middle one is the actual neckline and the others are pinned as sweetheart. Sister who came with me preferred sweetheart, I sent the pics to my other sister who ‘much preferred’ the original neckline but I don’t need to make a decision on that just yet.

edit - took the pics down as there were a few too many of my face all over the thread - but will leave the ones on the post above as they’re not such close ups —

The thing that is stopping me is that I can’t shake the idea I want something non traditional and a bit different somehow, but I’m not sure what I quite mean by that! I did try on some 50s tea length styles but they looked stupid on me. I also tried a long sleeve full skirt thing of wonder and beauty which actually made me tear up a bit, but not because it was ‘the one’ I think just because it was so full on bridal and by that point I was getting a bit overwhelmed. 

They were closing as I left and closed tomorrow so I’ve got a couple of nights to sleep on it! 
  • Also I went to my niece’s to get my little cuties to try the monsoon dresses on and they actually had quite a bit of room in them so I think we’re keeping them. 

Both girls loved them and were most upset I made them take them off almost immediately before they got stained! In the brief time they had them on they wouldn’t stay still long enough for me to get a decent picture but here are my best attempts- the dresses need a good steam but you get the idea .., 

• MrsCarnegieMrsCarnegie Posts: 499 New bride
    You look absolutely stunning in yours photos and i much prefer the sweetheart neckline 😊 how cute are your little nieces! Adorable 😍
  • Thank you! Xx
    Oh they're so sweet!

And if you can't get the dress out of your head, then it's the one. For what it's worth, I prefer the sweetheart neckline, but as you say you don't need to decide on it yet.
    edited 19 January
    I like the sweetheart best too, you look fab. 
    Flower girls look gorgeous in the Estella, it's just lovely and we found them roomy too.

Also, you can wear a non traditional, different dress to any event but you only get one chance to wear a full on bridal dress - that's my thinking anyway!
  • It really is a beautiful dress, you look amazing in it. Your neices look so sweet, those flower girl dresses are lovely
    edited 20 January
    Thank you for the lovely comments! 

I decided I wasn’t quite ready to pull the trigger for whatever reason, I needed to try some other shapes and styles, so there’s a bridal shop at the end of my road and I never noticed before but it’s open on a Sunday, so I gave them a call and they said they were quiet and to come in by all means. I’ve had lots of fun trying loads of stuff on. 

This is was fun to try on but not the one ...
    *gone*

edited 20 January
    More pics gone - just of dresses I liked but were not ‘the one’
  • And this was the first one I tried, and I tried it again at the end. It’s a strong contender and made me feel all excited and like I wanted to skip about and dance! I love it so much, and it’s a smidge over budget but not massively so. Right now it’s between the dress from yesterday and this one, I love both for different reasons 

Well you're on the right track as your 2 faves so far are by far the 2 most flattering on you!
  • Thanks Mrs C I think so too, I think possibly the one from yesterday is the most flattering overall but the tea length one today made me so happy to wear, so it’s between those two. 

Theres no no huge rush I guess, I might miss out on yesterday’s if I don’t snap it up as it’s in the sample sale, but I don’t have to have a dress sorted quite yet. I don’t know, I’ve not had a ‘yes this is absolutely the one’ moment yet but then I don’t expect I will really, I’m not the type somehow! 

Im feeling a bit self conscious about having my mug gurning all over the thread - might take the definite no’s down now.