Low fuss, low stress, little Oct 19 Wedding

Rin NightRin Night Posts: 167 New bride
edited 30 January in Your planning threads
Hello everyone :smile:

I started a planning thread early last year (under a different username) but then wedding planning was put on hold so we could focus our efforts (and savings) on buying a house! Now that we have our very own home and the planned date is less than a year away we've started wedding planning back up! 

A little about us
I'm 24 and will be 25 when we get married, I'm very short (4'10"), from the North-East (Yes yes, "whey aye man", all that...) and am the biggest stress-head I know.
D is 30 and will be 31 when we get married, is also from the North-East (But is also half Scottish). He's a massive wind-up and is cheeky and pushes his luck with everyone, but knows just how to keep me calm and chill :blush:

We're like opposite sides of the same coin, so different in some ways yet the same in others! We're both uncomfortable with people and crowds, but the people we do love we love hard. We're quite indoors-y, but love days out at theme parks and stuff together, and we're BIG into board games (Our dining room was converted into a gaming room the moment we moved in!)

We're so random though in the things we like... D loves theatre, introduced me to Phantom of the Opera and I love how passionate he is about it!
Then there's my inner nerd... or, I should say.. "weeb" - Anime. We love the stuff. People are always so shocked because I "seem so normal" and "girly" which, yes, I am (Well... normal??) but I love nothing more than snuggling up on the sofa with my 2 cats and D , eating a pizza, and watching 2 hilariously translated characters with animal ears battle it out with giant scissors and a hand-bag rocket launcher... It's brilliantly random  :D

Ahem... now... back to your scheduled non-anime filled wedding forum content...
Remember, when stressed, simply channel your inner Bridechilla: Take a sand bath, munch some veggies, then chew on a wooden stick... wait... no... that's a Chinchilla... 

My planning thread

• Rin NightRin Night Posts: 167 New bride
    edited 24 January
    Bit of background
    Me and D met through work, and although we kept it professional while working together, it was so obvious we were crushing on each other. As soon as I left for another company he asked me out, and we've never looked back since!
    We moved in together very soon after (like, maybe 2 weeks? Throwing ourselves in the deep end so as to not waste time if things didn't work out) and everything just went so smoothly. We adopted 2 kitties around a year into our relationship, then another year later he proposed, and another year later we've bought a house! (It seems we like to keep things consistent haha!)

The proposal
    He proposed on Christmas day morning, at home, wrapping paper and other mess all over the place, cats running wildly around the place causing mayhem, us in our PJ's, hair a mess and no makeup - and it was perfect! :blush: 
    Remember, when stressed, simply channel your inner Bridechilla: Take a sand bath, munch some veggies, then chew on a wooden stick... wait... no... that's a Chinchilla... 

My planning thread
    This is my engagement ring (modelled by someone else on the website as my hands are unfortunately not half as pretty haha!) I wanted something unusual and took a liking to intricate metalwork! I absolutely love it and still now catch myself admiring it, got my work cut out for me finding a wedding ring that I'll like just as much! 

My planning thread
    Wedding planning
    On to the (hopefully!) more interesting stuff! When reading through other people's planning threads I love it when people include lots of pictures! So this'll probably end up quite picture heavy! 

The "vision"
    Sounds cheesy haha but just a basic sum-up of how we'd like the wedding to be!

We're wanting to keep the wedding small and intimate (around 20 day guests and 50 evening). It'll have a slight boho feel but not full blown mis-matched madness haha, we both like structure but want it to feel as laid-back and chilled out as possible. There will be lots of greenery, fairy lights, and candles. Natural earthy colours but with a focus on Grey and Deep Green (Both our favourite colours!). We'd like as much as possible to have a personal touch, but without putting any excess pressure on ourselves.

I'm a massive stress-head, I worry about anything and everything, so we're trying to keep things simple, hence, my thread's title: Low fuss = Low stress...yes?...hopefully? :#  

My planning thread
    The Venue
    Originally I had my heart set on having a barn wedding, but all of the "barns" available in our area were charging extortionate rates with very specific and limited food and drinks options, it just wasn't settling well with us. There was also the issue that barns, being barns, are generally massive, and my tiny amount of guests would feel completely lost in such a big space!  :D

Then we viewed this place, the only venue we ended up viewing, because we instantly fell in love with it and knew it was exactly what we wanted. The Old Mill is about as close to a rustic barn venue that you'd get without actually booking a barn. The decor is so unique, it's the perfect size, and the staff are really focused on making sure that your day is individual and perfect for you. Booked!

My planning thread
  • That venue is gorgeous!! Can't wait to see everything come together x
  • MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,590 New bride
    Sounds like a fab wedding, can't wait to read more!
    edited 26 January
    Save the Dates
    Once the venue was booked I got straight in to making my save the dates! The proper invites will be a little more formal and fit in with the theme more, but for these I wanted something a little more fun and quirky that would incorporate our little fur-babies I mentioned earlier!

These are the kind of things that inspired me, but I wanted a little more information on mine as I have a few out of town guest so wanted to give them a heads up that it's mid-week and in my home town! After a few hours of messing around on the laptop this is my finished Save the Date! :smiley:

Cat puns make me happy :wink: I sent most people's just over facebook messenger as as I said it was just to give them a cute heads up, but I printed a couple for my parents and my Nanna, I'lI make these into magnets soon!

DYING to start designing my invites but keep reminding myself I have other things that need sorting first haha! 

My planning thread
    Wedding Dress Shopping
    I was dreading wedding dress shopping from the start - I don't like being the center of attention, I detested the idea of getting undressed in front of a stranger, and I knew that I had completely different tastes to my Mam and Nanna (who I'd be taking with me). If it had been up to me I'd have done the whole thing online at home with a cuppa! But I went along with it, more for them than me!

I know what I like in dresses: Lace tops, floaty sheath skirts, and as little bling as possible. Again, edging towards the boho side of things haha! These are a few that I love the look of:

Sleeves/no sleeves and how much skin is showing I don't really have a preference on, but knowing me I'd probably rather cover up as much as possible, but I'd still like it to have a sexy edge to it if that makes sense... not asking for much y'know :wink:

So we went, I tried on a bunch, and I felt like an idiot, as predicted! :D All gorgeous dresses, but none of them "me", all too poofy, blingy, booby... just too much fuss! I felt like a child dressing up as a sugar-plum fairy!! I think my tensed up awkward posture speaks for itself! My face is even worse, so for all your sakes I've covered it up  :D And there's my Mam in the background... loving life hahaha!

It was lovely spending that time with them, but I definitely think I'll be picking out "The one" on my own! Conflicting tastes and biased compliments just make it difficult  :D Better luck next time! 

My planning thread
  • MrsA-NToBeMrsA-NToBe Posts: 192 New bride
    Love your planning so far and looking forward to reading more. We're getting married in October too... it seems like it's coming around fast! 
    Aaah thank you ladies! :smile: I always assume no one will be interested enough in my plans/ideas to actually read any of them so it's lovely to read comments like yours :blush:

I finished making my two physical save the dates into magnets today! Think I'll make another for us to keep though, I think they're so cute! Here they are stuck on my fridge! :smiley:

My planning thread
    Roles
    It was important to both me and D that as much as possible be very personal on the day, which means when it comes to the many roles played in a wedding, we've made some pretty unconventonal choices...

Some are still pretty normal choices, but our wedding party is as follows:

Maid of Honour - My Mam
    Bridesmaid - My Nanna
    Best man - F (Me and D's best friend, like a brother to both of us)
    Ring bearer - My Brother
    Witnesses - F and Brother (probably...)
    Flower girl - Also F :D :D That's if he agrees to it, I'd LOVE to add a little humour to the ceremony, very "us"
    Celebrant/Officiant - My Dad

I've had so many "...w...really??" comments when I've told people haha, but it just made sense to us to have the most important people in our lives in the wedding party!

2 quick notes...
    1. I know it won't be legal my Dad doing it, we're doing all the boring legal stuff the day before, to us, a wedding is making promises to each other in front of the ones you love, not signing a bit of paper (Althogh we will be signing a physical version of our vows on the day so we get the photos of the "signing" haha)
    2. I know I haven't mentioned D's family, but I'm not just a self-centered meany, I promise! D isn't in contact with any of his family (Which means no crazy MIL's for me to deal with haha!)

My planning thread
  • I think you look lovely in the dresses but you do seem uncomfortable. I sympathise, I’ve just bought my dress but I did try quite a lot on that whilst beautiful did make me feel like I was playing dress up. At first that was fun but after a while I did feel stupid, and when my friend and sister were going nuts over dresses that just didn’t do it for me it made me doubt whether there was something I didn’t/ couldn’t see. We did get there in the end though! 

Love your ideas. We did something similar for our save the dates with our dog, not as professional looking as yours I’m afraid! 
    Awwh thank you! Don't get me wrong the dresses were stunning! They were just too "fussy" for me.. I'd rather have something I can get into without help, go to the loo unassisted, and feel comfortable dancing and having fun in without worrying about damaging it haha!

Aah I bet they look great! Have you got a picture of them? 😊 Everything is better with pets! 😉 

My planning thread
    Awwh thank you! Don't get me wrong the dresses were stunning! They were just too "fussy" for me.. I'd rather have something I can get into without help, go to the loo unassisted, and feel comfortable dancing and having fun in without worrying about damaging it haha!

Aah I bet they look great! Have you got a picture of them? 😊 Everything is better with pets! 😉 

My planning thread
  • This is the picture we used - we just got it printed onto photo magnets.

I actually think ill I’ll be able to wee unaided in my dress which is nice, although my adult bridesmaids were under the impression that this would be their main duty on the day so I shall have to think of other ways to make them earn their bottomless prossecco 😂
    😍😍😍 That's gorgeous!! What a little cutie!! I had to edit most of mine together as no way was I getting my 2 so sit still, together, with signs 😂 was NEVER going to happen haha!
    Hahahaha love that! Sure you'll think of something, get the whip out 😉 

My planning thread
    The legal stuff is booked! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

One of the jobs I threw at D to do because "you're just so much better than me at stuff like this!" (i.e. because it's boring and technical and I don't wanna!) 
    I knew he was sorting the registrar soon, but didn't realise he was today! He just emailed me with the confirmation email about it being booked - 9th October (we're doing it the day before our actual wedding, keep things simple for the day), 10:30, for us and 2 witnesses! 

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE we're getting married!!!  :D :D

My planning thread
    I've got the Dress!!!!! :smiley: :smiley: :blush:

After feeling a little ridiculous in the other dresses at the shop, I knew I wanted something a little more simple, that I could get in to myself, and wouldn't be terrified of damaging to the point of being unable to enjoy myself!

If I believed in fate I'd have said this was it! A colleague casually mentioned that there was a sale on a website so I went to have a bit of a spotch on my lunch break, and (obviously) couldn't help myself so ended up browsing through wedding dresses - and there it was. I loved it instantly, and with free returns I thought, why not? No risk, if it turns up and it's hideous (Which I was very much expecting, no way could finding a wedding dress turn out to be this easy...) then I could always send it back!

Turns out I ordered the very last one... and ladies... I love it so much...

Obviously not me wearing it here (I wish haha!!) fits this model like a glove, mine needs some alterations
    (which I expected, at 4'10" you could make me a second dress from the amount of excess material in the length  :D :D ) but it's perfect, low-fuss but with lace detailing, with a modern-sexy twist... I wasn't sure how comfortable I'd be with the half-covered-low-cut front, but I don't feel exposed in the slightest... so happy!!! :D

My planning thread
  • Ohhh thats so gorgeous! The detail is lovely, congrats!
  • Cecilia13Cecilia13 Posts: 475 New bride
    That's really beautiful! I love the detail on the front 😍
    Aaaah thank you ladies! :blush: I'm so pleased I managed to find it online, trying it on in my own environment was so much more comfortable and chilled! Plus, I didn't fancy having to go back to loads of shops and prance about in more of them :D So I've been very lucky!!
    Is nice to hear that other people think it's lovely too, I always worry that I'm just massively boring with bland tastes in everything  :D

My planning thread
    Also, little side note: 
    "Congratulations! You've been promoted to Bridezilla!"
    ...oh dear! Does that mean I'm allowed to scream at people when they pick out the wrong shade of grey now?  :D

My planning thread
    Introductions
    I just realised while reading through other people's threads that, because I had another thread a year ago, I felt like I shouldn't repeat all the introduction stuff... but now I just feel rude, busting in like "HELLO! You know absolutely nothing about me but here! Have my WEDDING PLANS!!!"

...soooo I've went back and added a little bit about ourselves in my original post so I don't seem like some blank person with no personality... unless, having read the new intro... you still think that... in which case... That's not very nice of you!  :D

My planning thread
  • MrsA-NToBeMrsA-NToBe Posts: 192 New bride
    edited 30 January
    Laughed out loud at your H2B's mishap! Hopefully the groomsmen are slightly less confused now.
    I really love that your including all your family in the wedding, it makes it so personal! This is exactly what I've tried to do this with my Mum making the cake and my Grandad being our witness so the day is more about all of us. 
    and your dress is just stunning, I love it!
  • MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,590 New bride
    Beautiful dress, where did you get it from? Love the lace detailing.
  • I love your dress!!  I too felt like I was playing dress up like a little girl and have really struggled with the process.  Your dress is so gorgeous and I'm happy for you for finding the one.
    Everything is most definitely better with pets! My proposal was at home as well with the ring attached to the collar for my precious old girl (Labrador Retriever).  
    edited 30 January
    Thank you so much ladies! I know it really shouldn't matter but it does make me feel more confident in my decision knowing that other people think it's pretty too! Everyone I know in person has much more blingy tastes than me so it can be a bit conflicting at times haha!

MrsA-NToBe Honestly I could have killed him haha! Awwwh that's lovely! I think more personal the better!

MrsCToBee ASOS believe it or not! I'll edit this post later when I've took some picks of the packaging but honestly you could tell the care they'd put in to it! I was expecting it to arrive folded up in a plastic bag as you would any other piece of clothing but it came presented so professionally and lovely, made it feel really special and forget you ordered it online!

KittyFiennes Awwwwh that sounds so cute!! :love: Yeh I have a "child" complex anyway due to my height and feel like I have a baby face, so the big poofy sparkly dresses really didn't settle with me haha! Trying at home definitely helped me relax though! 

Edit - Seriously though, look at how lovely the presentation is!

AllAof this came with the dress! I know it might seem like such a small and irrelevant thing, but for anyone like me who knew they'd be sacrificing the "experience" of traditional dress shopping by ordering online, the little attentions to detail really did make it feel special, and not like you "just" ordered it online 😊 it really is the little things...

My planning thread
  • Wow that’s stunning! I love it ❤️
  • That's really lovely! I wouldn't have expected that, no shade to ASOS because they're great but its lovely they've put that extra touch in!