Help with a hen night! Do we buy the bride a gift?

Hey everyone. Can you help me. I'm arranging my friends hen night - it's her second wedding, but she never had a hen night first time around. It's a smallish hen, eight 40something women! I was wondering, are we meant to buy the hen a gift, or take her something on the hen night? Any advice much appreciated.  :) :) :) 

• cs2thecoxcs2thecox Posts: 252 New bride
    edited 1 February
    I vote no... The cost of going along is normally girft enough!
    I mean, some people go mad with feather boas and willy headbands and all, but I don't think any substantial gift would be needed.

Although I haven't done bridesmaid boxes, am not showering my husband to be with gifts on the day, or anything like that, so maybe I'm just a little old-school on this sort of thing. I'm certainly not expecting any gifts at my hen do.
  • Great to know @cs2thecox - thank you. 

• HelenNHelenN Posts: 125 New bride
    edited 31 January
    What are you doing for the hen party? I didn't get a gift for mine as such, but my hens got us all little hen party badges, bought me a bride to be sash and veil... That sort of thing. The hens all wore sashes too x
  • MrsB2020MrsB2020 Posts: 40 New bride
    I didn’t get a formal gift, but I did bring a bottle of the brides favourite bubbly to the last Hen Do I attended :smile: 
  • OmRumOmRum Posts: 374 New bride
    edited 31 January
    No gifts needed, just prosecco if appropriate , accessories for the bride for laughs, and maybe silly prizes if you're doing games.
  • MrsGtoBMrsGtoB Posts: 703 New bride
    I don't think the hen would expect gifts but my hens all surprised me with a spa voucher and it was perfect for de-stressing before the big day. They also gave me photos etc 

I would say if the budget allows I would do it xx
  • MrsTraceyMrsTracey Posts: 828 New bride
    I say no to a gift. In my opinion it all gets a bit American and grabby when gifts are brought into the mix, and can make others feel a bit awkward. I’d say you usually pay enough for the hen do in itself. However on most I’ve been to (and at mine) the hens split the cost of the bride for whatever activities they had planned. That and some nice decorations/badges/a silly sash or two would be nice! Plus you can show your appreciation by planning games etc maybe :)