Forum home Your planning threads

Fairytale white wedding- August 2019

• OmRumOmRum Posts: 947 New bride
    I would probably stitch up the whole thing, but I'm a prude, lol! It depends on the shape of each lady in question though. If she's more ample, stitching it up might make it too tight. I would let them each make their own decision about how much they are happy with on show, and stitch accordingly. Assuming they're all handy with a needle and thread!

You could get them a sparkly broach or something to help hold it all together and be a bit of a feature? Or you could get a length of lace and stitch it into the slit, so it looks more modest but still leaves space for larger bosoms and adds some texture to the dress?

I love the long grey dresses, by the way! My ladies were in a similar garb.
  • MrsOD19MrsOD19 Posts: 797 New bride
    @OmRum that is such a good idea!! 3 out of my 4 bridesmaids are quite ample up top! My sister in law was hilarious! She looks great but maybe not for church, she sent me a pic and we were both just amazed how much was on show 😂

my friends mum is great with a needle and thread and has offered to help if we need it so hopefully she’ll think it’s an easy enough job.  Im emailing ASOS though as it most definitely wasn’t clear how open they were

So my wedding jewellery came! I haven’t tried it on yet as H2B is lurking around, but I’m really pleased with how it looks. 

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend in the sun! I’m chilling with a pimms and using my ‘team bride’ straw! Haha living in the past! 
  • pink_cloud34pink_cloud34 Posts: 2 New bride
    edited June 2019
    Well, I got a letter from the church saying there was some repairs taking place over the summer that will include our wedding, the letter said the scaffolding had gone.  Well it hasn’t. We went to service this morning and I was heartbroken, there’s scaffolding either side of the bell tower with corrugated iron all round it, and then loads more at the back. 

I know it’s only aesthetics and it doesn’t really matter but I’m so disappointed 😕
  • wedscotwedscot Posts: 43 New bride
    I'm sure your photographer can work round it, and it might still be gone by August - that's a few weeks away yet.

Love your wedding jewellery - I went for sliver and pearls too.
    Our planning thread here
    That is my post by the way aha, I don’t know why it defaulted to my email. 

It won’t be gone in August, I assume that’s why they’ve sent the letter,  it just looks awful 😞
  • Ah that’s so annoying. But it looks like the main entrance isn’t obstructed? Hopefully that means you will still have church shots without scaffolding in them... I can’t imagine how frustrating it must be to have this news though when it’s out of your control.
    No, it’s not obstructed as such which is a relief but it’s just disappointing as we won’t be able to have the bell tower in any photos as the scaffolding is visible at all angles 😕 I was really upset this morning, I mean it’s fine and I still want to get married there but I was just a bit shocked how bad it was! 
    Perhaps just let the photographer know in case they'd planned any shots. It is annoying but can't be helped, I'm sure. The church is still beautiful. 
    edited July 2019
    @omrum I messaged out photographer yesterday, he’s a good friend of ours too so we’re going to discuss it over Sunday lunch in a few weeks! 

Its so beautiful and it’s my favourite church I’ve ever been in, we used to drive past it every day and I always said I wanted to get married there, I think I wasn’t just a bit shocked yesterday as I wasn’t expecting it to be so covered in scaffolding.   I was having a princess moment i think.
    I would be annoyed too if the beautiful building I picked had scaffolding on it! The whole business behind weddings has us geared to believe it has to be perfect, even when it doesn't!

Our reception venue was supposed to be renovated by the time of our wedding, but unfortunately it was only half done, which means there is old peeling wallpaper and unattractively coloured paint from 1970s in a lot of our photos, so I know how you feel! It didn't affect the day that much though!
    Now I’ve gotten over the shock of the church (it reminded me of the friends episode when Emily and Ross go to see the church and it’s been torn down) 🤣 I’ve started to put together orders of service.

we’re having three hymns-Jerusalem,  How great thou art (chosen by MIL) and Give me joy in my heart.  I really wanted lord of the dance but got outvoted! A bit stuck on readings as am waiting to hear if we can have one bible reading and then one none religious reading so until I know that I can’t choose.  

We’re going to pick our rings this Friday, the jewellery quarter in Birmingham should (hopefully) have something we like! It’ll be nice to have a day together, H2B was on his stag last weekend and is still hungover today-men ey! 

One of my best friends and bridesmaid cane to spend the night on Saturday and she asked me to be her bridesmaid! I’m so chuffed and her wedding is next June so will all the build up of hers to help me over wedding blues 😍
    edited July 2019
    So decided on our processional and recessional music;
    Processional is Canon in D by Pachelbel on the organ
    Recessional is the Bridal March by Mendelssohn.

What order are you guys walking in? I want the bridesmaids to go first and then I follow with dad at the back, the parish administrator has said it works better with me first and then the girls but im unsure.  I really want them to have a moment too! 

Whats everyone else doing? 
  • MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,957 New bride
    Most weddings the bridesmaids go first now. 
  • MrsHowgateMrsHowgate Posts: 1,433 New bride
    When I got married first time the vicar told me bride first then bridesmaids etc as bride after is very American and he refused my request for the bridesmaids to walk in first. Speak to the vicar and see what he/she says.
  • CoffeeDogAddictCoffeeDogAddict Posts: 1,475 New bride
    My friend had the same as @MrsHowgate , but she managed to negotiate with the vicar to have the bridesmaids go first, then her, then me as the maid of honour, but he wasn't exactly pleased about it. 
    edited July 2019
    Ahhhh thanks all! @CoffeeDogAddict I spoke to the Parish Administrator and she said ‘it tends to work better if the bridesmaids follow’ but didn’t say any more than that-they’ve been quite flexible so far so hoping they won’t mind it too much! 
    We went first at my friend's church wedding last year. 
    @MrsCToBee oh good! I had a mad panic! Not that it really matters, it’s  just my preference 🤣
    So on Friday, we went ring shopping! I had no idea what I wanted to be honest, it was fun going round all the shops and having a mooch though.  We started with the shop H2B got my engagement ring from- tried on a ring with diamonds half way round, it was lovely, but they were way over our price range and there was no wiggle room to haggle which is quite strange for the jewellery quarter, so, we moved on to another shop which gave us a discount on similar rings but I just didn’t feel confident getting it from them, they didn’t seem to know which rings were silver or white gold etc so I just didn’t trust them. 

Finally, we went to Neweys and the lady was so helpful, I found a gorgeous platinum ring with diamonds 60% of the way round and H2B got a platinum flat court ring! They were under budget and they offer free cleaning and polishing for life! 
    Here they are! 😍😍
    And trialling it with my engagement ring! I’m so excited, we both keep sneaking them on! 

Cant wait to wear them 😍
    Wow stunning ring! Very similar to mine so I would say that 😂
    TABLE PLANS

I nearly strangled my H2B last night during our first table plan attempt.  My guest list is 35 his is 58.  He said adamant that erm should mix people as much as possible, I think we should mix people ONLY if erm know they’ll get on and not just for the sake of it. He was baffled how some tables only had his family on and was trying to move my cousin (who’s is by herself) away from the only people she knows.  obviously some tables will only have his family on, there’s almost double of them! I want my family who don’t see each other that often to Ben happy and relaxed, I see his point of view of getting people to mix but let’s be sensible about it and not mix absolutely everyone!  Men. Ugh. 
    edited July 2019
    TABLE PLANS

I nearly strangled my H2B last night during our first table plan attempt.  My guest list is 35 his is 58.  He said adamant that we should mix people as much as possible, I think we should mix people ONLY if we know they’ll get on and not just for the sake of it. He was baffled how some tables only had his family on and was trying to move my cousin (who’s is by herself) away from the only people she knows.  obviously some tables will only have his family on, there’s almost double of them! I want my family who don’t see each other that often to  be happy and relaxed, I see his point of view of getting people to mix but let’s be sensible about it and not mix absolutely everyone!  Men. Ugh. 
    Lots of our friends and family are now scattered about and don't get to see each other too often, so we have sat most people with others they know. Let's face it, no one really wants to meet new people at a wedding if your mates are already there! We used the WeddingWire table planner which makes table planning so easy!
  • Hullass1972Hullass1972 Posts: 606 New bride
    I agree about this. I went to a wedding a few years ago and was sat away from the few people I actually knew which really annoyed me. People can mix later on in the day if they want to, but I sat family and friends together for our meal.
    @Hullass1972 I totally agree! I wouldn’t want to be on a table with people I had nothing in common with and didn’t know.  I don’t know why he’s got it into his head that everyone needs mixing, I’m all for mixing a few of the younger ones as I know they’ll be social and just have a drink etc but the older ones I think it’s best to stick as much as possible to families
    So we went to the church today and had a chat with the vicar, he hopes the scaffolding will be down in 2-3 weeks! Woohoooo!! I’m so happy! To be honest though I had made my peace with it all and the vicar was so nice and apologetic.  The Bishop was doing his annual visit too so they had a Buck’s Fizz reception which was lovely. Also heard our banns read which was so strange yet exciting! 

Also had our final meeting with the venue this afternoon-we’ve had a
    massive mix up with rooms which is so annoying, it’s not the venues fault, it’s just people who are putting their names down for rooms and then not paying for them (the venue wants it upfront).  I think it’s sorted now but dear me it’s been a stress!! Wedding guests?! Who’d have em. 
  • Cecilia13Cecilia13 Posts: 512 New bride
    I feel your pain about wedding guests. The wedding is in less than 2 weeks now and today had a message from a bridesmaid asking me if I know the best airbnbs in the area and if the other bridesmaids might want to group together. My reply was that I never stay in the area as I live here but all the information for local hotels etc is on the wedding website (which I have told her twice before) and that everyone else who needed to booked their accommodation ages ago. Why does everyone suddenly become incapable of sorting anything out themselves?! Or just googling? So many people have asked me things that one Google search would answer for them and I don't have time to deal with them all!

So pleased for you the scaffolding will probably be down :) that's lovely news!