Antigua 2020

Hi everyone. Thought I'd start my own wedding planning discussion now that we've booked our wedding/honeymoon. It took us so so long to decide where to get married. Initially we discussed a UK wedding with a Harry potter esque themed reception. Not in your face but subtle little details that only die hard fans would notice.

Then we looked at a wedding abroad. First placed we looked was Jamaica The Royal Plantation. The butler service really appealed to us both haha. In the end and after much trip advisor searching, personal recommendations from travel agents that have been there and website browsing we decided on Blue Waters in Antigua. 

We also decided that we weren't going to tell anyone and just do a big surprise party when we get back. We're both quite private people and actually wanted it to be about us and not pleasing everyone else. Not even our parents. Now whilst this is all great in theory, the wedding is 16 months away and already struggling to keep it a secret from people. To be honest I don't want people questioning our decisions or what we want. 

Looking forward to adding to this when I can. 

• WirfleWirfle Posts: 25 New bride
    So today I got confirmation of our wedding date which is what we both wanted. It's the anniversary of our first date. 16th June 2020. Eeek. 
  • MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,590 New bride
    Sounds fantastic, Antigua is meant to be absolutely amazing. Good luck keeping it secret!
    Thank you lovely! We can't wait! Now just to fund it as well as my dress I want which I've already chosen.
  • Libby13Libby13 Posts: 244 New bride
    Congrats on booking your wedding! We’ve just booked a holiday to Blue Waters in Antigua this June :D looks lovely and would be amazing for a wedding 
    Libby13 said:
    Congrats on booking your wedding! We’ve just booked a holiday to Blue Waters in Antigua this June :D looks lovely and would be amazing for a wedding 
    Oooh you'll have to tell me what it's like. We can't wait. Just seems so long away at the moment. 
    So we gave in and have told my mum and stepdad. My mum was surprisingly happy about it. And she's booked a week away at a different hotel so that she can come and get me ready in the morning etc. Her words were 'you need someone there to give you away and help get ready and do hair and make up'. I'm actually really happy she's coming. 

Next we are now looking at reception venues for when we come home. Currently erring towards village halls. There's some beautiful ones where we live. 

We just can't decide how to tell people. Tell them it's a birthday party. Risk not many people going. Tell them it's our actual wedding day. We should get more responses thank a birthday and then tell them we already did it and just having a party. Or arrange for the invites to the reception to go out and arrive on our wedding day letting everyone into our little secret. 
  • MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,590 New bride
    Wirfle said:
    So we gave in and have told my mum and stepdad. My mum was surprisingly happy about it. And she's booked a week away at a different hotel so that she can come and get me ready in the morning etc. Her words were 'you need someone there to give you away and help get ready and do hair and make up'. I'm actually really happy she's coming. 

Next we are now looking at reception venues for when we come home. Currently erring towards village halls. There's some beautiful ones where we live. 

We just can't decide how to tell people. Tell them it's a birthday party. Risk not many people going. Tell them it's our actual wedding day. We should get more responses thank a birthday and then tell them we already did it and just having a party. Or arrange for the invites to the reception to go out and arrive on our wedding day letting everyone into our little secret. 
    My stepsister had a 30th birthday party and announced they had got married that morning - several people were very miffed and her own sister didn't speak to her for about 5 years afterwards......I'd be honest that it's your wedding reception!