Forum home Your planning threads

Natural confetti - should I provide it?

Hi All,

I've after a little advice - our venue only allows natural confetti, so I'm wondering if I should be providing it, or if I should just try to pass the word around?

If I do provide it, does anyone have any idea of costs and recommendations?  I really don't want to spend a lot of money on something that is going to be thrown in the air and potentially so of it not even used.

• MrsHowgateMrsHowgate Posts: 1,433 New bride
    We used Kay’s Confetti Creations from Facebook. She does really good deals and works towards your budget. We provided guests with the confetti and didn’t have any left over so it was money well spent. 
  • MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 2,957 New bride
    I'm providing it because I really want nice confetti shots! We used AdamApple and got their Black Friday deal, but they always have offers on. People don't tend to take it to weddings anymore as it's usually provided.
  • OmRumOmRum Posts: 947 New bride
    I find confetti a funny one. Before I joined this forum it had never occurred to me that the couple should provide confetti as I've never been to a wedding where this has been done, and me and other guests have always brought our own to share round. Most standard wedding confetti is tissue paper so probably biodegradable so I should think most of your guests will bring the right stuff anyway. 

I say only provide confetti if there is something specific you want, otherwise people are going to buy their own and it will be a waste of both your monies. You can always put a note in the invitation about the natural confetti if you're worried.

But a lot of brides who do planning threads here seem to do it so I suppose it's personal choice. 

In my case we didn't provide confetti but it chucked down anyway so we never had the opportunity to have confetti thrown at us!
  • MrsA-NToBeMrsA-NToBe Posts: 206 New bride
    edited February 2019
    Agreed, we’ve got ours - my Mum couldn’t believe that people don’t bring it with them anymore! Same as MrsCToBee we used AdamApple and they were so much cheaper than I could find in most other places. 
  • The first wedding I saw confetti done was my sisters two years ago. And it was because she asked for it, so as her MOH, I sourced it for her. Initially, I tried making my own with dried flowers petals, but drying them was finicky. Some of it dried too much and shrunk down to ugly nothing, and other petals didn't dry enough and looked/smelled moldy.  I also couldn't believe how much volume you lose - I would have needed waaaayyy more flowers than I easily had access to.
    I ended up giving up and getting them from FarmGirlRosePetals on Etsy and they were AMAZING. (They do ship to the UK.) One nice thing about going this route was that I actually was able to buy (spend) less because the way they dry them, the petals are very voluminous (practically completely intact) and so you don't need as much. 
    That being said, if you don't want to do it and have other things in the budget that are a priority, feel free to skip it.  I didn't have it for my prev big white wedding and don't feel like I missed anything. 
  • I've bought some mostly because I've found from personal experience that people don't really take confetti with them these days. Well, that and I really want some nice confetti shots!

I got mine for The Quality Confetti Co. on ebay - cost me about £30 and filled about 40 boxes with plenty spare that I'm going to use to decorate the sweet table. Really love the ones I got as they're heart shaped and not all one colour but different shades.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/qualityconfetti?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754
  • If your venue is particular about natural confetti and you’d love a confetti shot, it’s worth providing your own as then you can be sure it’s ok. Our venue specifies natural confetti and nothing dyed so we are drying our own petals. It does take a while, and they sometimes go wrong, but we’ve had loads of time to plan and I like buying flowers for the house anyway :) 
  • I think it's more common for guests to be provided with confetti nowadays rather than guests bringing their own. As with your venue, ours only allows biodegradable confetti and I think that's the norm now. We have to have non-dyed petal confetti and have specifically told guests that they shouldn't bring confetti so that we can provide the right kind :)
  • Thanks everyone!  I've had a good look at all your recommendations and then Kay's Confetti Creations posted an offer on Sunday so I've ordered with her, I think it was £28 for 50 bags (4 litres off the top of my head) with bags and stickers included.  I was going to just have a pretty box full of it all and people grab a handful, but the bags and stickers were included - I may still decide to go down this route, as might be less fiddly. 

In the beginning I also tried to dry my own flowers but got bored very quickly haha.